[Released] Altern8 - Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2018

I like what I see a lot. Faster render times are a real bonus too. Does it require anything above the usual in terms of graphic card capabilty or processor power? Recent Daz skins seem to be making my computer work noticeably harder than it used to with the older ones for some reason.

My card is about 3 years old and isn't exactly "top of the line" so I think most average machines should be fine with the settings. :) The newer Daz skins often have a high translucency setting, which can greatly increase render times - so perhaps that might be why your computer is working harder than with the older Daz skins. Most of my shaders and settings don't use high translucency, so that should help there. If your machine struggles with rendering you can always use the default Iray render settings and not use the included render settings, though they should be fine for most machines I think. :)

Thanks for that, Diva. Part of me wants this yesterday and part of me doesn't mind waiting as it's been a while since I heard of a forthcoming product I could get this excited about, and I quite like the feeling! I'll look forward to the release and what I can do with it :)

hahah Awesome! I'm happy to hear that you're excited about Altern8! I'm really excited too - to see what people think of the product and to see what people do with it, I can't wait for the release! I am looking forward to seeing people's renders with it! :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Looks fantastic Diva!

It would be worth the buy just to lose the Orange Olympia ;). LOLOL

I especially love how your shader gives the skin subtle shade differences over the surface like real skin does. Great job!:)

Laurie

This! Hurray for Diva! I've been waiting a long time for this. Finally! You shall be richly rewarded for your diligence.

But one thing: Why not name it "for Genesis 8 and 3" instead of making us have to later read, "also works on Genesis 3"? Not everyone goes to the product page of new products and READS. If you put it in the name, then people INSTANTLY KNOW. And, since some people have not switched to Genesis 8, they may rule it out at first sight. This could mess wit yo money! Fix it, please.

Thanks, xyer0! :) The name is a deliberate one, to try and keep things a bit more clear going forward. As this product's presets where designed for specific Genesis 8 figures -and while they can be used on G3 characters, they are presets made for and named after G8 characters (and again, they still can be used on G3, just not specifically designed for specific G3 characters as it is for specific G8 characters). And if this product sells well I'll be creating a similar product specifically designed for G3 characters - so THAT one would have G3 in the name. If I included both G8 and G3 in the name it would likely be confusing once the one designed specifically for G3 gets released.  In the end I went with what makes the most sense going forward and would cause the least confusion in the future. I hope that helps clear things up as to why I left G3 out of the name. :)

How do you mean "specific Genesis 8 figures"??

edited April 2018
    xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Looks fantastic Diva!

I especially love how your shader gives the skin subtle shade differences over the surface like real skin does. Great job!:)

Laurie

This! Hurray for Diva! I've been waiting a long time for this. Finally! You shall be richly rewarded for your diligence.

But one thing: Why not name it "for Genesis 8 and 3" instead of making us have to later read, "also works on Genesis 3"? Not everyone goes to the product page of new products and READS. If you put it in the name, then people INSTANTLY KNOW. And, since some people have not switched to Genesis 8, they may rule it out at first sight. This could mess wit yo money! Fix it, please.

Thanks, xyer0! :) The name is a deliberate one, to try and keep things a bit more clear going forward. As this product's presets where designed for specific Genesis 8 figures -and while they can be used on G3 characters, they are presets made for and named after G8 characters (and again, they still can be used on G3, just not specifically designed for specific G3 characters as it is for specific G8 characters). And if this product sells well I'll be creating a similar product specifically designed for G3 characters - so THAT one would have G3 in the name. If I included both G8 and G3 in the name it would likely be confusing once the one designed specifically for G3 gets released.  In the end I went with what makes the most sense going forward and would cause the least confusion in the future. I hope that helps clear things up as to why I left G3 out of the name. :)

Like take a look at this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3496236/#Comment_3496236

It lists the settings that were used for the different characters. Like FW Kasper in that render uses Altern8 settings "Lucas 8 A - No Maps" + "Translucency A". Carson in that render is using Altern8 settings "Edward 8 - No Maps" + "Skin Shine Low". :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Looks fantastic Diva!

Laurie

Like take a look at this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3496236/#Comment_3496236

It lists the settings that were used for the different characters. Like FW Kasper in that render uses Altern8 settings "Lucas 8 A - No Maps" + "Translucency A". Carson in that render is using Altern8 settings "Edward 8 - No Maps" + "Skin Shine Low". :)

So it's not for generic G8 use, only for the specific characters released from DAZ.? I am asking as I don't usually buy or use the DAZ characters and rarely even use their skin if I do. I do however use G8 a bunch and have lots of modified skins I use, so is this character specific ?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@FSMCDesigns "So it's not for generic G8 use, only for the specific characters released from DAZ.? I am asking as I don't usually buy or use the DAZ characters and rarely even use their skin if I do. I do however use G8 a bunch and have lots of modified skins I use, so is this character specific ?"

Diva shows promos for various FWArt men and various G3F models. Given that G8F and G3F share UVs, do you really think the settings are that specific?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,754

One simple question that determines whether it's a buy or a pass for me:  does it work with geografts and geometry shells? 

• Cybersox said:

One simple question that determines whether it's a buy or a pass for me:  does it work with geografts and geometry shells? 

If your question is does it use these to do its magic, I believe the answer is no.
    fastbike1 said:

@FSMCDesigns "So it's not for generic G8 use, only for the specific characters released from DAZ.? I am asking as I don't usually buy or use the DAZ characters and rarely even use their skin if I do. I do however use G8 a bunch and have lots of modified skins I use, so is this character specific ?"

Diva shows promos for various FWArt men and various G3F models. Given that G8F and G3F share UVs, do you really think the settings are that specific?

I saw the Kasper, Gunner and Carson promos, but wasn't sure if she used the skin from those or just the morphs. If the "Lucas 8 A - No Maps" + "Translucency A" setting is dependant on having the Lucas skin, then I am outta luck. Guess I'll see for myself once released

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,754
    Cybersox said:

If your question is does it use these to do its magic, I believe the answer is no.

No, the question was whether it applied across or under these without issues.  I've run into several skin shader products that wouldn't apply to geografts or work under a geometry shell, which becomes a bit of an issue if you want to use the gen sets or have the skin appear under a GS based wet skin system.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

No, the question was whether it applied across or under these without issues.  I've run into several skin shader products that wouldn't apply to geografts or work under a geometry shell, which becomes a bit of an issue if you want to use the gen sets or have the skin appear under a GS based wet skin system.

I also would hope for separate "shader presets" to be included so that they could be applied to other surfaces. Not just to help with geografts but alternate figures, too. Frogkin may look nice with these settings, you never know.

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024

Looks very nice!!!

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I found myself wondering if this is replacing other maps. Like, are the improved skins replacement maps or are the presets bringing out the details already there in the skin textures you already have?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,996
    fastbike1 said:

I saw the Kasper, Gunner and Carson promos, but wasn't sure if she used the skin from those or just the morphs. If the "Lucas 8 A - No Maps" + "Translucency A" setting is dependant on having the Lucas skin, then I am outta luck. Guess I'll see for myself once released

To me it looks like the various presets were created initially to make the "named 8" figures look good (hence the "designed for specific figures"), but can also be used to enhance other characters skins.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Who would not buy this? Looks awesome!

Definitely allocating credits for this.

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533

This looks good, I hate this orange  film that hides so much detail.

• Impressive! Can't wait. 

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Looks impressive and I love the name

• I'm grabbing this as quickly as it's available assuming I've got the funds.

Question -- if you use something like Beautiful Skin or other products that incorporate LIE tweaks to the skin, will Altern8 work on the final product?

xyer0 said:
    AllenArt said:

Looks fantastic Diva!

Laurie

So it's not for generic G8 use, only for the specific characters released from DAZ.? I am asking as I don't usually buy or use the DAZ characters and rarely even use their skin if I do. I do however use G8 a bunch and have lots of modified skins I use, so is this character specific ?

I can be used on any G3 or G8 character.

fastbike1 said:

No, it's not dependant upon owning any specific skin textures - it works with any G8 or G3 skin textures. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,672
    edited April 2018
    fastbike1 said:

It is not dependent on having Lucas 8 or any other character. My understanding (based on Divamakeup's explanation on the previous page) is that this product was designed to specifically address the skin issues of Daz Core Genesis 8 characters. Thus, the presets are named for the skins whose problems they address. Nonetheless, the presets CAN be used on any other figure, including Genesis 3. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm getting. It says as much in the text at the bottom of this image.

Post edited by xyer0 on
    edited April 2018
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

It is not dependent on having Lucas 8 or any other character. My understanding (based on Divamakeup's explanation on the previous page) is that this product was designed to specifically address the skin issues of Daz Core Genesis 8 characters. Thus, the presets are named for the skins whose problems they address. Nonetheless, the presets CAN be used on any other figure, including Genesis 3. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm getting. It says as much in the text at the bottom of this image.

Well, I wouldn't say they were exactly designed to "address issues" - as I'm sure many people love the default settings - they were designed to be alternative settings for specific characters. :) And yes, they can be used with any G8 or G3 figure. I've included quite a few adjustment settings (translucency colors and strengths, SSS tint colors, etc) so that the presets can be farther modified to accommodate different types of skin textures. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited April 2018
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

As long as the character is selected the skin settings and shaders should apply without any issues. As for geographs, you can use the "gen" shaders to apply the settings to geographs. All of the skin presets have corresponding gen shader presets which can be used on things like geographs. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited April 2018

I found myself wondering if this is replacing other maps. Like, are the improved skins replacement maps or are the presets bringing out the details already there in the skin textures you already have?

It doesn't replace skin textures - it just helps bring out the color and texture of the character's existing maps. There are a handful of included maps that help bring out details in eye sockets/tear ducts and scleras as well as skin shine maps. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Leana said:
    fastbike1 said:

To me it looks like the various presets were created initially to make the "named 8" figures look good (hence the "designed for specific figures"), but can also be used to enhance other characters skins.

Yes, their are specific presets for specific Genesis 8 characters (both mapped presets and "no maps" presets). The "no maps" presets don't load any skin texture maps and can be used with any G8 or G3 character's textures. :)

I'm grabbing this as quickly as it's available assuming I've got the funds.

Question -- if you use something like Beautiful Skin or other products that incorporate LIE tweaks to the skin, will Altern8 work on the final product?

I don't have many products that use LIE but the ones I have work well with Altern8. You can make changes to the LIE settings before or after you apply the Altern8 settings and it doesn't cause any issues with the LIE makeup with the products I've tried it with. So it should work well with LIE products. :)

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

What is the benefit / difference to

https://www.daz3d.com/ecvh0-iray-skin-shader-for-genesis-3-female-s

aside your product is optimized for G8?

edited April 2018
    gerster said:

What is the benefit / difference to

https://www.daz3d.com/ecvh0-iray-skin-shader-for-genesis-3-female-s

aside your product is optimized for G8?

I don't own that product, so I couldn't say. I don't own all Iray skin shader products that have been released here, but based on the promos I'd say mine does look quite different, imo. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Thanks for the info Diva, looking forward to it!

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Looking forward to this.