• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    Bunyip02 said:

Final render for this series - "The Final Countdown"

great idea, really enjoy the idea of flying below the radar

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax looks great !!!!!

Varsel, keep that portal coming !!!!

Another one from me - "Time for a cuppa"

thanks Bunyop 02 :) love the feel of this one, she so ethereal the way she is prancing

Varsel said:

And then off to find Sarah Connor .... 

ha ha love that blue glow on the snow :)

Stezza said:

the
    Apocalypse

another one from the master - could be the next Midnight Oil cover...

Bunyip02 said:

Caveman to Astronaut

Used an Iray HDRI from https://www.daz3d.com/iray-hdri-space

love this idea - reminds me of an archibald prize entry from a few years ago - dodnt win :)

Varsel said:

Creating a Time Portal/Laboratory in Hexagon. First test render. Still allot of equipment to add.

beautiful and clean - how did you get that neat glow in the inner ring??

edited March 2018
    Vyusur said:

Awesome work, Andrew! Especially the first one.

PhilW said:

HW - awesome!

thanks PhilW and Veronica :) 

here's a bang up job -

'The Timelord of The Universe in His Wheelchair - one for Stephen H'

Image may contain: 1 person, shoes

PS anyone seen Pam around??

boyinchairfurtherl_Shadow.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 3M
    boyinchairfurthewhiteskinrl.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,828

some very cool stuff being posted yes

Craigh na Dun (Gaelic: Creag an Dùin) is the location of the ancient stone circle by which Claire Randall travels from 1945 to 1743. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited March 2018

Get your stinking paws off me you dang dirty ape!

Its a mad house, a mad house!

Start with Brash.

Create a morph sort of, almost, nearly, (OK, nothing like) the original Roddy Macdowell makeup.

Create a hair group.

Test Render

cc01 load brash and select head in morph pane.JPG
    1439 x 1049 - 183K
    cc03 ape morph.JPG
    1879 x 1044 - 186K
    cc04 hair group.JPG
    1866 x 987 - 226K
    cc05 test render.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 71K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    Bunyip02 said:

Fashion through time.

​Clever decision.  They have found a lot of adornments and clothes in those ancient caves, but very few high heels.

Varsel said:

And then off to find Sarah Connor .... 

​Great portal model, and I really like the glow effect.  Just in time for another Terminator sequal.

Bunyip02 said:

Caveman to Astronaut

Used an Iray HDRI from https://www.daz3d.com/iray-hdri-space

​The space HDRI seems to have worked very well.  I will have to remember that the next time I want to use an HDRI.  For some reason I thought I would have to adjust the brightness/gamma if I used an Iray HDRI.

head wax said:

sorry quickie from me so you know I am here will comment on the thread tomorrow if all goes well (nice render Bunyip02 :) ) 

great discovery today that you can u se windings etc in the text primitive - so made the clock hands with that, used replicator plugin to distrubute the numerals after a lott of screwing round with native replicator

the nebulae pattern on the ground is from putting a ron's nebulae image in a spotlight as the gel

I love seeing Hugo show up.  It is even more cool now that I have some additional context.  

Bunyip02 said:

​Great looking plane models.  Nice job on the shaders of the planes and the ocean.  

head wax said:
    Vyusur said:

Awesome work, Andrew! Especially the first one.

PhilW said:

HW - awesome!

thanks PhilW and Veronica :) 

here's a bang up job -

'The Timelord of The Universe in His Wheelchair - one for Stephen H'

​Really stunning pieces.  I am flabbergasted - in a good way.  Hawking should be honored.

@Stezza - very inspirational series of posts you have going there.  I hope you enter some of them.

thanks Ted :)

Stezza, terrific job of the stones - and nice dress your male is wearing

Diomede - that's a perfect set of  brows :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Sorry for not commenting lately.  I'm struggling a bit more than usual this month.  Reach exceeding the grasp type of thing. :)

HW - Very interesting Hugo render, and amazing wheelchair series.  At first I liked the top wheelchair best, but now I am not so sure.  You make it very hard to choose. :)

Varsel - your stargate is very well done!

Bunyip - as others mentioned, loved the shaders and idea on your plane render.  Thanks for including the screenshot.  Rather than the afterburner prop, would Carrara fire look better?

Stezza  - another great series of renders, wildly different.  Any of them could be a winner. :)

Diomede - Terrific POTA morph and hair.  Better than you claim.  Are you going to go for realism, or more of a toon look?

edited March 2018

Thanks, HW and UB.  

For Planet of the Apes, my current concept is a photoreal render (although stylized/fantasy art, not hyper-realism).  I found some reference material for the spaceship (Icarus) used in the 1st and 3rd movies.  The current idea is to have an ape archeaologist (Cornelius) emerging from a cave on a cliff holding a human doll, and off in the distance there is a spaceship sinking in a lake.  Some human astronauts would be on the desert surrounding the distant lake.

Unfortunately, April is going to be very busy on other fronts, so I may have to scale it back.

sketch for ape time travel.jpg
    600 x 400 - 96K
    edited April 2018

Sorry for taking over the thread, or it seems that way, but here is an approach to placing hair that has a few wrinkles for me.  My custom figure is divided into shading domains, as you might expect.  And, similar to Daz figures, I have 3 different UV maps.  One has the head and face, one has limbs, hands, and feet, and the third has everything else.  The maps overlap each other.  Well, because my figure is so low res, the placement of the ape hair is very blockish if I select the hair region by polygon.  I thought it might be better to use a texture map to place the hair.  However, the UVs overlap on the three maps.  

- I loaded a fresh version of the figure and chose 3D paint in Assemble room

- I created a new texture map in the color channel to apply to the face and head.

- I chose a base color of gray and set the paint color to white.  

- I painted the areas white on the head and face where I wanted hair.  Unfortunately, white streaks also appear on the torso and limbs where the 3 uv maps overlap.

- I saved out the new map.  Always struggle with the format (BMP, GIF, TIF,...) so I just save out to all three.

- I load in Photoshop just to convert the gray to black.  You could have set the base color of the model to black in step 1, but I find that hard to see.

- I delete the current model without saving and load a fresh version just to make sure that I don't overwrite th model's original taxture maps.

- I drag and drop a dynamic hair on the new model.

- For the hair group, I selected by shading domain and included the head and face.  I made sure I did not include the limbs or torso because that could cause overlap.

- Control placement by putting the pinted texture map in the density channel of the hair shader.

Still very rough, but the density map should be better than placing by polygon.  Hope so, anyway.

dd01 hair growth area.JPG
    1908 x 935 - 137K
    dd02 hair growth group but shader domains maps overlap.JPG
    1903 x 949 - 143K
    Brash 2 Lo Z01c-Color hair chimp jpg.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 210K
    dd03 hair group select by shading domains head and face.JPG
    1915 x 996 - 200K
    dd04 hair placement by put in shader hair denisty channel.JPG
    1808 x 899 - 126K
    edited April 2018

and the test render.

Compare the hair placement by polygon above to this placed by texture map.  Texture map is better in my opinion, and can be improved more with a little extra time on the density map.

You can find some of the stills from the original movie at imdb - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063442/mediaindex?refine=nm0001522&ref_=ttmi_ref_nm

dd06 test render.jpg
    700 x 700 - 28K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

pahkuni.  sareesataka  smiley

Bunyip02 said:

wondering, is this carrara's native render engine?

thanks

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,816
    edited April 2018
    Mistara said:
    Bunyip02 said:

thanks

Yes, the sea is PhilW's excellent https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-realistic-seas-2

F-14s are by VanishingPoint from Rendo,

Muzzle Flash & tracers http://www.sharecg.com/v/85940/gallery/11/Poser/Muzzle-Flash-and-Tracers-Props

Afterburner effects http://www.sharecg.com/v/85916/browse/11/Poser/Afterburner-Effects-Prop

Zero is from ShareCG http://www.sharecg.com/v/37876/browse/5/3D-Model/A6-Zero-+

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Sorry for not commenting lately.  I'm struggling a bit more than usual this month.  Reach exceeding the grasp type of thing. :)

HW - Very interesting Hugo render, and amazing wheelchair series.  At first I liked the top wheelchair best, but now I am not so sure.  You make it very hard to choose. :)

Varsel - your stargate is very well done!

Bunyip - as others mentioned, loved the shaders and idea on your plane render.  Thanks for including the screenshot.  Rather than the afterburner prop, would Carrara fire look better?

Stezza  - another great series of renders, wildly different.  Any of them could be a winner. :)

Diomede - Terrific POTA morph and hair.  Better than you claim.  Are you going to go for realism, or more of a toon look?

thanks UB :) Diomede, pleasure to see your exploits - no need to apologize!

Still playing with Hugo. Here he is in Time Tunnel.

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 244

Hi there... Can i use Octane Plugin for Carrara or is forbidden in this challenge? 

Bunyip02 said:
    Mistara said:
    Bunyip02 said:

thanks

Yes, the sea is PhilW's excellent https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-realistic-seas-2

F-14s are by VanishingPoint from Rendo,

Muzzle Flash & tracers http://www.sharecg.com/v/85940/gallery/11/Poser/Muzzle-Flash-and-Tracers-Props

Afterburner effects http://www.sharecg.com/v/85916/browse/11/Poser/Afterburner-Effects-Prop

Zero is from ShareCG http://www.sharecg.com/v/37876/browse/5/3D-Model/A6-Zero-+

tysmiley

namtar3d said:

Hi there... Can i use Octane Plugin for Carrara or is forbidden in this challenge? 

yep... you sure can .. look forward to your WiPs yes

don't forget if you wish you can also post your images on the

Art Studio Board
    Topic is here

to show everyone what Carrara can do wink

Stezza said:

some very cool stuff being posted yes

Craigh na Dun (Gaelic: Creag an Dùin) is the location of the ancient stone circle by which Claire Randall travels from 1945 to 1743. 

modeled the rocks and used a replicator for the grass on the ground plane.. modified Dartenbecks woodlands kit to suit my liking.

Postwork was done in PSE 2018

craigh na dun rocks.jpg
    1476 x 671 - 87K
    craigh na dun setup.jpg
    1380 x 744 - 281K
    Craigh Na Dun Render.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 931K
    edited April 2018
    Stezza said:

put this together using mainly primitives, Carrara Text and some greebles from DZFire

A Time Machine - portable

portable time machine parts.jpg
    1088 x 779 - 101K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Sorry folks, but I will not have time to finish the Time Portal, so if anyone want to use it, to something sometime .... no restriction...

Here you are.

zip
    zip
    TimePortal.zip
    2M
    Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 114K
    edited April 2018

@Varsel - thank you very much for the time portal freebie.  Looks great.  The entry thread does not close until the 23rd, so hoping your schedule changes and you are able to get something in.

@Stezza - I think you are going to have to worry about back-to-back hosting.  Fantastic images.

@Misty and all - thanks for the comments on my Planet of the Apes character. 

@Headwax - Hugo has been to more places than Dora the Explorer!  Love how his shadow seems to twist away.  Helps sell the warp.

Here is a quick model of the spacecraft (Icarus) from the original 1960s movie.  I've applied some basic shaders.  This is my time travel device.

aaa01 icarus mesh half.JPG
    1909 x 1028 - 212K
    aaa02 icarus duplicate and uvmap.JPG
    1691 x 947 - 225K
    aaa03 some simple shaders.JPG
    1836 x 987 - 169K
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on