* Closed * RRRR summer contest - With prizes!!

Comments

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Um, Jaderail, I would humbly submit that Totte was not the first to catch on to the fact that a sunny day is 'weather'; he was just the first to have the stones to think he could pull it off! (Not to mention, get away with it!)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

*laughs* Grats Totte :) truh to be told, this little mini contest made me actually go out and try to find some other weather than sunny (partly cause I wasn't sure how the heck to Show sunny weather *sheepish smile* ) *eyes Tottes pic* But now I am suddenly having more to play with in my next mini pull, if I manage to make one with all else I need to do *grin*

Thanks for the mini contest Jade, it took me another step on the ladder of learning to produce pictures that look somewhat decent :)

I was so sure that in just day one somebody would go a sunny day is called good weather can I render that? So now you all know.
    edited December 1969

Um, Jaderail, I would humbly submit that Totte was not the first to catch on to the fact that a sunny day is 'weather'; he was just the first to have the stones to think he could pull it off! (Not to mention, get away with it!)
    Well put, and point taken. For that I now Raise the GC to $25 to the winner.
  • hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

And my mini-entry.

TAG: hawkonthewing mini#1

Pull: 105 Winter Wonder 2006 (I swear I didn't set this up)
    74 Toxic Elven Prince
    283 Millenium Big Cat LE
    331 A3 & H3 Shapes for Genesis

Title: Bright Idea

"Festive! You said 'Oh, come on, this will be fun, festive! Until Rosie and Flutters scared away the horses! NOW LOOK AT US!!!"

Postwork to add breath effects

Bright_Idea_entry.jpg
    977 x 977 - 293K
    edited December 1969

Still and all, I'm always up for an RRRR, be it mini, maxi, mega, or mainstream! And so..., to it!

My pull:
    576 - Eastern Riding Wear
    1620 - Safari Camp
    1240 - Millennium Boys Clothing Pack
    2016 - Tropical Quest

Sorry, I got distracted by a number of, er, 'issues'.

But here it is, my first (and probably only, due to time constraints) entry in the Mini RRRR:

Also used:
    Wicked Games for Genesis
    DAZ Horse 2
    Rain Tool (for, you know, the 'weather'!)

TAG: obanion_Mini#01

Title: Abort! Abort! Abort!
    "Jeez, you're gonna let a little rain scotch your camp-out? You are such a wuss, you know that?"

RRRR_SummerMini_01.png
    800 x 600 - 855K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Title: All Else Changes - We Remain
    Tag: SGCBearcub #2

Required: Real World Police Officer M4
    Hardcore M3
    Saba'a Alkair
    Marissa for Kids 4

Summertime_2.jpg
    708 x 672 - 284K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

277 = Dark Haven (textures for Gothic Contruction Kit)
    1019 = Mall Girl for Genesis
    1105 = Cargo Units 1
    244 = This n That Extravaganza 1 (= GIS Terminal, GIS Nova, Stellar for Space Dweller for V4, Resplendent Tresses, Dark Designs Volume II, Lisa's Botanicals Climbing Vines)

Finally got something done with this one - I'm pleased to see the back of it!

TAG:MelanieL#3
    Title: Time Portal

It just materialised overnight on a section of the walkway. Who knew from where it had come, or to where it led?

Used (from This n That):
    GIS Nova, Stellar, Resplendent Tresses, Climbing Vines

Also Used:
    Stella: V4 Addison character
    Lucy: Azumi for Aiko with V4 body shape
    (Stella and Lucy are wearing Space Dweller clothing with Stellar texture and Resplendent Tresses hair)
    Mally: Genesis Riley character with Pure Hair Timeless
    Molly: Genesis Candace character with Riae hair
    (Mally and Molly are wearing Mall Girl clothing)
    Starry sky backdrop is a DraagonStorm freebie
    And a little postwork in Photoshop Elements 9 with Ron Deviney Sampler brushes

MelanieL3_-_Time-Portal.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 486K
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

578 = Victoria 5
    292 = Leviathan
    1082 = Brutes Bruisers Thugs and Tough Guys for Freak 5
    662 = Benjamin for M5

Sounds like wet weather?

TAG:MelanieL_Mini1_#1
    Title: Call Me, Ahab

As the beast drew nearer, Ahab took out his phone ...
    "Hey Boss, we're freezing our *#!$*s off here! And I think we're gonna need a bigger boat?"

Also Used:
    Vicky - Pure Hair Timeless, Sports Time for Genesis top and pants, Sport Trainers
    Ben - Paul hair, K4 Basic Wear for Genesis T-shirt, Colonel Chaos pants
    Merv - (from BBT&TG;) - Thomas texture, Flat Top hair, K4 Basic Wear for Genesis Tankini, Town and Country jeans
    Ahab (Soldier from BBT&TG;) - Anrdei texture, WildMane hair, string vest (Wilmap freebie), Tre pants
    Phone from Smartphone and Tablet set
    Sampan boat (mast, sail and canopy removed)
    Water plane from Fantasy Castle Ground
    Postwork in Photoshop Elements 9 with Ron's Water Bundle and Ron's Winter Collection brushes

MelanieL-Mini1-1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 410K
    edited June 2013

And I'm going to try to squeeze in a second for the Mini-Contest:
    875 = Eastern Riding Wear
    448 = David 3 for Genesis
    369 = Smoke and Flames Tool
    427 = SpineBender and Astral Armor Textures

Meanwhile for the main contest here's Pull 4:
    1021 = Andrea for Genesis Young Teen Julie
    777 = Pure Hair Crazy
    1040 = The Contruction Site
    651 = Michael 5 Starter Bundle (= M5, Pure Hair Classic, Town and Country for Genesis, DragonLord for Genesis, James for M5, Easy Going Poses for M5)

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

What a lot of busy people since my last look - it's taken me ages to catch up!
    Of the entries for the main contest:

Sasje "Do not touch" - nice one, I love the way you've used Eternity as a step-stool for the naughty kid!
    "Which of the two?" - love the little boy's "innocent" body language! Nice lighting too
    "Search for something" - not sure I'd want to hang out in a back alley in that outfit!
    carola.ottosson "One's Trash is anothers Treasure" - this one has a lovely warm ambience
    "Overgrowth" - I love the colours and brightness of the wreck against the darkness of tbe trees
    Luci45 "You really think I'm gonna wear these boots?" - funny! They do look a bit big (and OTT)
    "Outta the bed, litle dude..." - ooh, I like it! But quite a different style for you?
    KaribousBoutique "Angel's Touch" - worth the struggle, I'd say - lovely atmosphere
    Ken OBanion "What Happens in Vegas..." - not sure how you did it, but those multiple rooms sets glue together surprisingly well
    Dorseyland "Almost Done" - very nicely done, but I think I'd eat somewhere else!
    jgugliuzza "Watering my Plot" - clever idea and nicely done, I like the mini-cloud
    Sisca "Tea Break" - nice render, good lighting
    SGCBearcub "A Girl and her pet" - what a pet! Nice atmosphere
    "All Else Changes - We Remain" - interesting image - what a difference lighting makes
    hawkonthewing "Will of the Gods" - lovely sunny ambience

And of the Mini-Contest entries:

Luci45 "Rain Forest" - nice render, I think the rain turned out well
    Dorseyland "Laughing Into the Wind" - weird image, and mist
    Zawarkal "When The Wind Blows..." - interesting POV and that branch holds up to a closeup really well
    Totte "Drop the gun or the squirrel drowns" - weird idea, but nicely lit and the pouring rain looks good
    "... and this is Homo Erectus ..." - what a cheeky one! Fun idea and brave interpretation of "weather"
    KaribousBoutique "Any Port in A Storm" - a truly odd idea and very well done
    carola.ottosson "Shelter From the Rain" - goodness, that's a lot of rain! Shelter really needed there
    hawkonthewing "Bright Idea" - lovely image, and nice effects
    Ken OBanion "Abort! Abort! Abort!" - funny! Is that really your first Mini-entry? I'm surprised you're not up to one a day!

I see a couple of "new" names here - this Contest really seems to be pulling people in.
    Maybe one day I'll actually manage to keep up with this thread!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you MelanieL :)

TAG:Sasje#06

RRRR Pull
    - Generic Sci Fi Corridor.
    - Motorcycle Helmets for Genesis.
    - Boots for Genesis.
    - Smartphone and Tablet

For the rest I used:
    - Dark Raven Motorcycle.
    - Mosasaur
    - Genesis
    - Leather Jacket for Genesis
    - SouthWest for the DAZ Environments

Title: “wrong turn”

RRRR_6_motor.jpg
    1066 x 800 - 299K
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Ken OBanion "What Happens in Vegas..." - not sure how you did it, but those multiple rooms sets glue together surprisingly well

How did I do it? I hacked the crap out of it, that's how!

To connect the Bar Interior, I separated the back wall of the West Park Lobby, and brought it into Blender, then re-jiggered the mesh; I closed off one doorway, and replaced a section of the wall with a resized version of the West Park hallway's double-door figure. Then I removed the front wall of the Bar Interior, and butted the two scenes together.

I apparently didn't pay strict enough attention to the integrity of the resulting mesh, because when I tried UV mapping it, the result looked like an explosion in a confetti factory! No way was I going to be able to figure out what part of the UV map belonged to what part of the mesh. So I used procedural shaders to do the texturing.

For the rooms upstairs, I just made the upper-floor wall invisible, and shoehorned two of the Hotel Room scenes into the open space.

Ken OBanion "Abort! Abort! Abort!" - funny! Is that really your first Mini-entry? I'm surprised you're not up to one a day!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I had a few 'issues' over the past week that took me "off-line" for a while. (The occasion of my birthday always sends me into a major depression, and it took a few days for me to pull out of it. That's right, I have mental-health issues. Explains rather a lot, doesn't it? )
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2013

Okay, here's some that have captured my fancy. As always I appreciate and deeply respect all the work that goes into this, so terrific work all, but these are some contenders for my nod come voting time:

Carola#1 - Velvety Lions
    I like the composition and video game feel of this. There must be a alpha boss lioness right around the corner!

obanion#02 - Have Yourself a Merry Little Beltane…
    Terrific how the colors pop against the monochromatic palette. Great use of color!

Tag:luci45#! - Witness Protection - Love the WTF poses and expressions on thier faces! TOtally cool. And as always your im'peck'able attention to detail. Love it.

Sasje#01 - “Some Business “
    I like the story in the picture as well as the camera angle - a nice feel of dreamy and sci-fi in the render. Good job!

Warmblood#1 - Intruder Alert!
    Damn, buddy, you are just getting too good. Lovely, whimisical, and really like the sepia-ish color approach. Pixar should be scouting you.

bluemoon#01 - Confiscated
    I like you who perfectly blend the non-sequitur in this all with that terrific purple. Inventive and fun for sure.

Dorseyland#01 - A Little East of the Wild West
    Okay, already my pick for funniest - made me crack a huge smile when I saw this. Fun, fun, fun, spreading the whimsy joy Warmblood started. Great render!

Carola#5 - One’s Trash is anothers Treasure
    Wow... vived, richly detailed. Lot of craft and hard work on this one. Really lovely render.

KaribousBoutique#1 - Angel’s Touch
    Great juse of light against the dark. Something even Marilyn Monroe-ish about that angel. I really like it even it's not your favorite child ;)

Post edited by bohemian3 on
    edited June 2013

Okay folks... little more than 32 hours left for the RRRR Mini Contest #1. I'm very happy so far, and thank you all who have played. The Prize is now a $25 GC and as pointed out a sunny day is allowed. If you have not played please try, if you have then get that second one in. May the Gods of Random smile on you.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

How did I do it? I hacked the crap out of it, that's how!

To connect the Bar Interior, I separated the back wall of the West Park Lobby, and brought it into Blender, then re-jiggered the mesh; I closed off one doorway, and replaced a section of the wall with a resized version of the West Park hallway's double-door figure. Then I removed the front wall of the Bar Interior, and butted the two scenes together.

I apparently didn't pay strict enough attention to the integrity of the resulting mesh, because when I tried UV mapping it, the result looked like an explosion in a confetti factory! No way was I going to be able to figure out what part of the UV map belonged to what part of the mesh. So I used procedural shaders to do the texturing.

For the rooms upstairs, I just made the upper-floor wall invisible, and shoehorned two of the Hotel Room scenes into the open space.

Wow, you really put the effort into this don't you! I'm impressed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I had a few 'issues' over the past week that took me "off-line" for a while. (The occasion of my birthday always sends me into a major depression, and it took a few days for me to pull out of it. That's right, I have mental-health issues. Explains rather a lot, doesn't it? ) I'm really sorry to hear that. Hope you're over the worst of it for another year. (In the absence of working smileys, imagine a sympathetic look at this point.) You do a great job of "smiling through" the rest of the time.
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2013

TAG: bohemian3 mini#1
    Title: Heated Interrogation

For Jaderail's mini contest...
    Rendered with Vue xStream / 3ds Max Mental Ray

Pull:
    Daz Sci-Fi Crates 'n Containers
    Andoria City
    Interrogation Room
    Octavius

+
    Colonel Chaos
    Kumar and James for M5
    Merlin's Exotic Weapons
    Morrocan Dreams for M4
    Medieval Market
    Ron's Bokah
    Ron's Stained

Interrogation.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 485K
    Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • EmsimEmsim Posts: 234
    edited June 2013

Lots of great entries! I finally got mine done for Jaderail's mini contest. I know I won't have time for a second so I'll get busy on my entry for the main contest.

Edit: Forgot to add that I pulled:
    384 Slicer
    354 Performer for V4
    1514 Bell Flower Garden
    913 Toy Soldier and Train Set

plus I also used:
    Playtime, Lovey Bear Re-energized, Dolly, Additions Hair & Modular Ruins.

TAG: emsim mini#1
    Title: Failed Negotiations

Donald knew before he even started that negotiations with the Island of Misfit Toys was not going to go well...

Misfit_Toys.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 177K
    Post edited by Emsim on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

2298 Rons Atmospheric Bundle (deviney)
    1737 Medieval Village (Faveral)
    1887 Muirienne for V4 & Genesis (ForbiddenWhispers, Male-M3dia)
    943 Evolution Eve V4 (Orion1167)
    984 Fantastique (Mystique-)

FYI, I used a combination of Muirienne and Eve in texture/morph, though that isn't inherently obvious. :/ Also used: Havoc (Sanctum Arts), Fawne (Orion1167)
    Rendered in Poser Pro 2014, postwork in Photoshop CS6

I can't seem to find funny. Gah!

TAG: KaribousBoutique Minicontest #2
    Title: From The Gloom
    She knew she was probably the last defender of her village. It didn't matter. Before she fell, she would make the demons pay for their slaughter with blood.

FromTheGloom1.jpg
    2000 x 1345 - 339K
    edited December 1969

With this next pull, I am officially entering into 'Over-Achiever' territory!

So on we go, with pull #7:

1356 - Never Safe
    1236 - Millennium Baby
    1823 - Sushi Time One
    1896 - The Garbage Pile (rather like the rest of this pull, nicht wahr?)
    The LB Pull:
    925 - Hot Tub Pergola
    Over-Achiever Pull - the first of several, I suspect!:
    675 - Fairy Tale Collection: Tower Interior

Oh, the humanity...!

I finally summoned the wherewithal to get this one finished. I'm not too thrilled with the lighting (which only proves that I still have a lot to learn on that subject), but for what it's worth.

I figure I'll make it up in volume! (...and still no smileys!)

Also used:
    Mini Bar (an old DAZ freebie from back in the day....)
    Japonism
    Sushi Time Two (because One just wasn't enough!)
    Avery's Funnies, MilBaby T-shirt texture (a ShareCG freebie)
    Victoria 4
    Sofia for V4 and Genesis
    Stigian Princess Hair
    MFD for Victoria 4
    Elegance for V4 MFD
    Mother and Child poses for V4 and MilBaby3 by Calie Vee (a ShareCG freebie)

TAG: obanion#07

Title: A Gilded Cage... Is Still a Cage
    The Regent had made sure that she had everything for her comfort.... But nothing could hide or change the fact that she was a prisoner here.

RRRR_Summer2013_07.png
    800 x 600 - 765K
    edited December 1969

Frankly, that last one was pretty lame, so I'm going to give it another go. (Actually, I'm going to give it another go because I want to; the lameness of my last entry has absolutely nothing to do with it!)

So here we go, with Pull #8:
    212 - Bridal Dress Design Kit for SP
    244 - Capsces Poses for V5
    148 - Back Alley Pack
    2212 - World Class Lovely
    The LB Pull:
    1086 - Lisa's Botanicals - Ivy Textures for Vines
    And the OA Pull:
    381 - Danielle Bedroom

I guess the Gods of Random figure I haven't suffered enough.... (And don't tell me I need to sacrifice more virgins, Totte! I'm in Texas; where would I find any!?)

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    And I'm going to try to squeeze in a second for the Mini-Contest:
    875 = Eastern Riding Wear
    448 = David 3 for Genesis
    369 = Smoke and Flames Tool
    427 = SpineBender and Astral Armor Textures

TAG:MelanieL_Mini1_#2

Title: Riders on the Storm

Used:
    Flames Tool - two occurrences, large in the bushes and small at the lightning strike
    Smoke Tool - single use above the flames in the bushes

Also Used:
    David - Dean for D5 skin texture, Pure Hair Sleek, Elven Warrior clothing and boots (retextured with MachPack shaders)
    Vicky - Tori for V5 texture, Pure Hair Wild, Royal Elf boots (retextured with MachPack shaders)
    Millennium Horses - David's with MilHorse Bundle Dapple texture, Vicky's with DreamWeaver (freebie) Dun texture
    Horse and Rider Poses adapted from Rider Poses for DAZ Horse 2
    Lisa's Botanicals Dead Bushes and Creepy Trees
    Worldbase XT Desertlands Pack
    Postwork in Photoshop Elements 9 (only to add lightning bolts and reduce file size for forum posting)

MelanieL-Mini1-2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 434K
    edited June 2013

Just another look-see at the main contest entries:
    Sasje "Wrong Turn" - another nicely done render, I think it fits together well
    Ken OBanion "A Gilden Cage... Is Still a Cage" - mmm, that was an interesting pull, but hey, you made something of it! (hope your next selection appeals to you more ... oops, just read your post about your next pull!)

And the Mini's:
    bohemian3 "Heated Interrogation - striking lighting, really gives a feel of the heat
    emsim "Failed Negotiations" - ooh, they look scary!
    KaribousBoutique "From The Gloom" - there's plenty of funny around, that's a nice bit of drama instead

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Wow, you really put the effort into this don't you! I'm impressed.

Well, as Totte once said, "Anything worth doing, is worth over-doing!"

And then there are my own two mottos: 1) Nothing in moderation; and 2) Let 'em know you're going for something!

Taken together, it's pretty much a recipe for excess! (Damn! Still no Smileys!)

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Made it in time, phew.
    TAG: hawkonthewing mini#2

Pull: 71 Toxic Moonshadow
    181 Light the Way
    306 MFD Expansion Set 2
    103 Candle Collection

Blackout

It was not the darkness that frightened Marjorie, it was the thought of what might be hiding within.

Blackout_2.jpg
    977 x 977 - 494K
    edited December 1969

RRRR Mini Contest #1 Now Closed. I wish everyone LUCK.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Wow, so many great ones. Will need to make a run through, but no time today.
    Thanks for you comments Melanie.

Off for a lunch and tour at the newly opened ABBA museum here in Stockholm. Might get some RRRR inspiration from that, still struggling with my #2 pull.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Next pull. I think the other pulls I've done have been from my DAZ inventory only. I'm using ALL my content this time. Don't know why that happened. Anyway...

288 Andraste's Grace BONUS FREEBIE (RDNA, Wolfie)
    5520 The Living Room Collection (DAZ, ARTCollaborations)
    5464 The Eclectic Swan (DAZ, Moyra)
    5007 Solar Flux (Rendo, Mirabilis)
    2366 Heavenly Sailboat (Rendo, 1971s)

Nifty. Contemporary furniture, steampunk dirigible-like flyer, and scifi skimpware. Maybe this will bring The Funny back...

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

Birdland
    Tag:luci45#5

I'm not real happy with this but I got everything in and I couldn't figure out another way to do that. I made some fun characters in this but they are too tiny to see. It took forever and set me back quite a few days - might not make the big 20!

Used:
    Dream Home-Eclectic Master Bedroom Decor
    GIS Terminal
    Grey Heron
    The RHS Stagecoach

Also used:
    Drakkon texture
    Smith Micro Owl
    Night Heron
    Kingerfisher (Amazon)
    Blue-footed Booby
    Cormorant
    Lamp poles from Urban Sprawl
    Sports Time
    Regency Furniture
    Potted Plants from Streets of Asia I
    Royal Guard outfit (changed red coat to green in PS)
    Renaissance outfit
    Macaw head
    Lorenzo Lorez w/freebie pants by Varsel
    World Cruise trunk, suitcase and Hatbox
    Free megaphone from Most Digital Creations

birdland.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 415K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

TAG: Totte#02

Totte said:

#1723 GIS Skyway Expansion
    #1248 Daredevils & Darts (Rendo)
    #272 Harem Dancer V3
    #242 Genesis Ranger Textures
    Lucky bastard extra pulls:
    #1921 Jeweled Finery
    #257 Greatswords

Wow, this pull was on page 4, this thread fles!

Also used:
    Genesis + P3D Tom + Genesis Ranger (for the textures)
    Genesis + Daiyu Skins + Morphs + Hard core (shaders) + Wsidor hair + Kapitän Andreas Cigarette
    Dystopia City Blocks
    Yamaki + Textures and Poses
    Real Metals
    MOM
    Cydonia

Daredevil Jim on his Iron Horse

- Ladies and gentlemen! Jim the daredevil with now perform yet another death defying stuns together with his sidekick, the lovely Miss Li!
    He will jump through the ring on his Iron Horse and at the same time extinguish Miss Li's cigarette with his mighty sword. Are you ready? Here he comes!!

daredevils_final.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 164K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Wow, so many entries already! I've been out of town, so I'm way behind all of you other people. Here is my first pull:
    #1195 Real Feel Zipped Cardigan
    # 56 Sculpting Tools
    #65 Ultralight
    #195 Grungy Jeeps