Skimpy kimonos and clearly sexualized female SF bodysuits - more alternatives, please!

cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
edited March 2018 in The Commons

Every time I see announcement of a new kimono, I'm full of hopes, but no, it's mostly the short, sexy type I can't use. And while SF bodysuits for men look decent most of the time, these for women either have nonsense holes or clearly emphasize the breast or crotch area or both. I'm fed up with his. Is there really no market for decent female clothes? I would really, really love to see alternatives! Or clothing which kitbashes so well that I could put together any variant between sexy and practical work clothing.

Post edited by cherpenbeck on

Comments

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Less yukata, more nagagi.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

+1

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    edited March 2018

how can you fight dragons without your breasts showing? 
    Or wage war without midriff exposure?

Post edited by daveso on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Well, dragons are very prude, so the exposed breasts are a huge help...

• They should make a chun li dress already. 

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

They should make a chun li dress already. 

Someone already made that which can be easily found using google. The page has a NSFW image.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Chun li dress looks good. Like something I would buy, which I definitely won't do with the new clothing now offered.

By the way, if an artists wishes to create modest clothing which can also equal skimp wear, he/she just need ab adjustable non-transparent/ semi-transparent /transparent shader for the fabric. In my opinion look-through clothing is more sexual than clothing with holes. (And wouldn't it be nice if we could use these shaders vor male clothing as well?)devil

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited March 2018
    y3kman said:

They should make a chun li dress already. 

Someone already made that which can be easily found using google. The page has a NSFW image.

I think I know which you mean over at DA. Unfortunately it looks like garbage. Even with custom textures it just looks very poorly made. 

Post edited by Illidanstorm on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited March 2018

I understand where you are coming from.  I have 2 daughters so I try to keep overly sexualized images out of my art (most of the time).  That being said, there are some Asian style outfits out there that can be kitbashed to be not so sexy.  Unfortunantly, some of them are for V4 and have to be converted to fit newer models.  It can be done.  Check out the free section here everyday and check the free sections at Renderosity and CGShare.  Here are some example I've done.  I have other outfits that I haven't used yet, all of them I got free.

feature image

feature image

feature image

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited March 2018

Agreed, it maybe one of the reasons I never really moved beyond genesis 2 . Its hard to investing new clothing for new generations of characters when  its the same old style clothes for every new generation. nothing changes much accept the generation fit. I don't know how many school girl outs fits someone needs when I can pretty much autofit the ones I have now to any given character . But I'd kill for a good looking normal everyday style clothing, the last one was the hoodie for g3 which has a zippers fuction.   & i can actually use to make animations look contemporary to rather than fictional non useful clothing.

I wish you "Good Luck" getting things changed.  Request like these are like beating a dead horse this issue has been discussed about a million times by now , but nothing ever changes.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Skimpy kimonos don't require nearly the number of JCMs that a full length one would, plus they don't have to deal with texture stretching on the lower portion of the kimono. Not saying it's right, just that that's what you're likely to hear from a PA.
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited March 2018

Every time I see announcement of a new kimono, I'm full of hopes, but no, it's mostly the short, sexy type I can't use. And while SF bodysuits for men look decent most of the time, these for women either have nonsense holes or clearly emphasize the breast or crotch area or both. I'm fed up with his. Is there really no market for decent female clothes? I would really, really love to see alternatives! Or clothing which kitbashes so well that I could put together any variant between sexy and practical work clothing.

+1

I've been hoping for a good dForce kimono (and haori, and hakama, and happi, and .....well, you get the idea) with proper obi and makura for a while.  I understand the whole bikini-skimpwear thing sells.  But realism has benefits too (if for nothing else, for contrast with the central figure in skimp-wear).

We've seen plenty of long, flowing gowns and such in the past.  They are more complicated than skimp-wear, to be sure.  But with some work, morphs and transparent sections could transform a full formal kimono into a skimpy yukata.  Then you have the best of both worlds.  Just have to be careful with texture distortion....

Post edited by hphoenix on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited March 2018

"Skimpy kimonos don't require nearly the number of JCMs that a full length one would, plus they don't have to deal with texture stretching on the lower portion of the kimono. Not saying it's right, just that that's what you're likely to hear from a PA."

Perhaps there will be some Dforce Kimono's available soon.

On that matter of  female skimpwear in general,.... get over it
    ..it is here to stay.
    No amount of repetitive bleeting in the DAZ forums will ever change market dynamics or what is even perceived to be market dynamics. 
    Such is life on the Daz content hamster wheel.

If you truly need conservative female clothing for Daz studio, Your only alternative is to learn to model  the clothing yourself and join those of us  who Breath the free air.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • posecastposecast Posts: 386

I would invest in marvelous designer if you want clothing that doesn't currently exist. It seems like the shortest distance to your end goal. And if you learn it, you WILL have a base of willing and eager buyers.

Also, the wear them all clones are great for bringing older generation stuff to g8f...and there is a lot of what you ask for that has been made in older generations. Especially Aiko 3 and those clothes look pretty decent when converted and with smoothing modifiers added.

https://www.daz3d.com/furisode-genesis-2-female-s

Furisode Genesis 2 Female(s) in People and Wearables, Clothing and Accessories,  3D Models by Daz 3D

You can use auto fit for G3 or G8.  You may be able to convert to DForce.  I really haven't messed with that yet.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited March 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Furisode Genesis 2 Female(s) in People and Wearables, Clothing and Accessories,  3D Models by Daz 3D

You can use auto fit for G3 or G8.  You may be able to convert to DForce.  I really haven't messed with that yet.

I'm pretty sure that Autofit won't play well with those sleeves.

Edit - correction, I know that Autofit will mess with the sleeves.  I just tried it.  The top half of the sleeve is connected to the arm, but the lower half is considered part of the thigh.  So at the least a simple Autofit won't cut it.

Edit #2 - It does drape pretty well, though I didn't try a challenging pose

Demo Kimono drape.png
    800 x 1000 - 620K
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
    edited March 2018
    tkdrobert said:

I'm pretty sure that Autofit won't play well with those sleeves.

Edit - correction, I know that Autofit will mess with the sleeves.  I just tried it.  The top half of the sleeve is connected to the arm, but the lower half is considered part of the thigh.  So at the least a simple Autofit won't cut it.

Oh well, I still use G2 a lot, so it's fine for me.  I haven't baught anything for G8.  Now that I think about it, I did try to autofit a cape to G8M and it didn't work, so I get what you are saying.  Thing is, if that product didn't sell well, the vender isn't going to male a G8 version. sad

I'm trying to learn modeling right now.  I don't plan on doing clothing until I master vehicles.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

The nice thing about dForce is that it lets you skip autofit when it’s not playing nice heh

Oso3D said:

The nice thing about dForce is that it lets you skip autofit when it’s not playing nice heh

I need to start messing with that.  Haven't needed to yet.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

I've been a DAZ addict since the very begining. The skimpy outfit complaint has always existed, and will continue without any real change. I wonder why people bother to bring it up. Gee, I haven't seen a dragon with naked breasts!

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483
    edited March 2018

I put leggings on a lot of my female characters and try to layer clothes with jackets or other items often. Many outfits can be very difficult to layer inorder to work around the skimpyness, but I don't know it until after buying. This is the main reason I will buy the female base figures, but pick up their pro-bundles as freebies or when they're really cheap. (Genevieve for $7 in December) The majority of clothing in the bundles are next to useless. 

Wilmaps has some lovely female clothing, and they're free. https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/ Makes for some great alternatives to buying female clothing from Daz.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/536296/

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/531226/

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/514726

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/388801

Post edited by EJWorks on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

short, sexy kimono

Weird. We all should know that undressing of somebody in actual long kimono is muh more powerful than already being in "short kimono".

I've been a DAZ addict since the very begining. The skimpy outfit complaint has always existed, and will continue without any real change. I wonder why people bother to bring it up. Gee, I haven't seen a dragon with naked breasts!

I see more complaints about "lack of representation" of something, rather than "too much skimpy clothes". Like that user who always asks for classical italian men business suit in every thread.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    daveso said:

how can you fight dragons without your breasts showing? 
    Or wage war without midriff exposure?

Ask Wonderwoman, the most impractical warrior garb of all. :)

A boustierre? My wife's "girls" pop out when she ties her shoe, much less weilds a sword and shield.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I go out, and I see lots of skimp, even when it's cold; seems pretty normal to me, although the fantasy stuff is... Well, fantasy.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    edited September 2018

+1.

and another +1 for a classic long kimono with good adjustment morphs being potentially way sexier than a miniskirt version with outré cutouts...

you know who i'd really *love* to see make a kimono?  a dforce kimono?  aave nainen. 

j

Post edited by jardine on
  • mr clammr clam Posts: 707

If G2 is fine, then this may fit the bill. The sleeves are in issue in other gens, though. The textures render well.

https://www.daz3d.com/peony-kimono-for-genesis-2-female-s

• mr clam said:

If G2 is fine, then this may fit the bill. The sleeves are in issue in other gens, though. The textures render well.

I love this set.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    mr clam said:

...I have this and was able to get the sleeves to behave pretty well with a G3 character.

rememberance test.png
    900 x 675 - 868K
  • Ki-JenKi-Jen Posts: 64
    edited September 2018
    mr clam said:

kyoto kid said:
    mr clam said:

...I have this and was able to get the sleeves to behave pretty well with a G3 character.

Works with G8 too, if not autofitted and using dForce:

Peony Kimono on G8

PeonyKimonoG8.png
    675 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Ki-Jen on
  • Ki-JenKi-Jen Posts: 64
    edited September 2018

Sorry, double post.

Post edited by Ki-Jen on