Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    Bunyip02 said:

Got another one, just waiting for it to save before I do a render !

Total of seven figures - could be a while .....

Finally

Serfs Up

Toon! part III and GMIC cartoon

Raw Carrara render

I really like this effect, and what you did with it.  Thanks for posting the regular Carrara render as well.  It looks somewhat flat to me, which means that it will probably look good when adding the Toon effect (which it did).  To put it another way, to get the best cartoon filter result, we need to optimize the render lighting etc for the toon effect, and not the realistic effect.  A flatter, more 2D looking render will help the toon effect to really pop.

Thanks UB, I deliberately kept the landscape elements small with no background elements to try and keep it looking 2D as much as possible.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Got another one, just waiting for it to save before I do a render !

Total of seven figures - could be a while .....

Finally

Serfs Up

Toon! part III and GMIC cartoon

Raw Carrara render

I really like this effect, and what you did with it.  Thanks for posting the regular Carrara render as well.  It looks somewhat flat to me, which means that it will probably look good when adding the Toon effect (which it did).  To put it another way, to get the best cartoon filter result, we need to optimize the render lighting etc for the toon effect, and not the realistic effect.  A flatter, more 2D looking render will help the toon effect to really pop.

Thanks UB, I deliberately kept the landscape elements small with no background elements to try and keep it looking 2D as much as possible.

terrific work Bunyip, love this result

Vyusur said:

Suddenly I remembered one picture from a seasonal calendar from my childhood. So I decided to realize the idea with 3d stuff.

YaToon+Toon!Pro. Bubbles were added in Affiniti Photo. Model is G3 Janette with Monique 8 head morph and my custom body morph.

thanks for the comment on my photo, love this one, it made me laugh

Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

I just didn't see a leg to start with!

Spent today modeling again....

any guesses?

Dastardly and Mutley in Their Flying Machines.

So are you going to model a Dick as well ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dastardly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dastardly_and_Muttley_in_Their_Flying_Machines

I gave Dick a go while the Grandaughter watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...

that's it for today.... time for some Netflix yes

stezza, that's terrifico

An homage to Danny Shanahan, cartoonist for the New Yorker.  Toon 3 with no postwork.  Original is below.

great style on the table cloth, you picked up the poses very elegantly

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018

Wonderful work.  Will have to catch up with the thread soon. 

Meanwhile - I totally plagiarized @de3an for my first entry.  For challenge 25, de3an had this idea.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1263516/#Comment_1263516

And for the current challenge, I've done this.

Sorry about that, @de3an.  I will withdraw this entry.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Vyusur said:

UB, thank you for the comment. I've just fixed it.

Nice change, really has focus now.

head wax said:

great style on the table cloth, you picked up the poses very elegantly

Thanks HW.  That wasn't an entry.  But I feel the need to keep posting examples to hopefully show how easy and fun this is.

Diomede said:

Meanwhile - I totally plagiarized @de3an for my first entry.  For challenge 25, de3an had this idea.

Wow, a great render by de3an!  Pretty close to perfect in my eyes.  Why oh why have you not entered this Challenge, de3an?  This is your speciality!!!

But Diomede, there was no plagiarizing.  Your entry stands on its own.  Then again, if you want to do a different shadow image, be my guest. :)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    Diomede said:

Wonderful work.  Will have to catch up with the thread soon. 

And for the current challenge, I've done this.

Thanks for the shout-out.

I didn't actually enter this one in a challenge because it didn't meet all of the challenge requirements.

Certainly no need to withdraw. There's enough shadows for everyone!  laugh

can't trust anyone Diomede  :)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Ted, put your picture back please. It's original and nice.

Vyusur said:

Ted, put your picture back please. It's original and nice.

agreed

Thanks for the support, folks.  @de3an, I'm sure that I had seen your image and just forgotten about it.  Wasn't intentional.  Maybe mine should count as an homage to yours.

• the mandatory setup post

cartoon dragon 1 setup.png
    1089 x 624 - 752K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Looking good, shlomi!  Thanks for the entry.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited March 2018

Grab that Pigeon!

Dick & Lazy Luke and the pigeon modeled in Carrara

Drat and double drat.jpg
    800 x 600 - 268K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2018

Terrific toons.  And another nice bird from you!

It reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon:

Pigeon king New Yorker 4-2016.jpg
    900 x 721 - 86K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited March 2018

Here's my version of a different New Yorker cartoon (originally done by Tom Toro):

There is still time to create a cartoon, folks!  The above cartoon is pretty much all Toon 3.  Also got to do my first boolian cut.  Ain't Carrara grand! smiley

a-tied-up-woman-says-to-a-burglar-tom-toro.jpg
    900 x 873 - 120K
    Accordian 1.png
    1600 x 1067 - 1M

very cool especially the pigeon king

I remember first seeing that a few years ago and tagged my eldest son with it... lol

@chickenman

that's a great entry... yes

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Stezza said:

@chickenman

that's a great entry... yes

Thanks,

I did not get any more time to work on anything so I entered it anyways.

Thanks Chickenman!  Appreciate the entry.  Even unfinished, it looks excellent.  Hoping that some other nice WIP's will be entered before Tuesday.

I just fiinished updating the Art Studio thread.  Next up will be the entry thread and a warm Carrara welcome to our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes.

You guys do know that Phil is giving out free stuff, right?  But dang, there is a catch - you gotta enter!  There's still time...

We are down to the wire.  Entries are supposed to be in by tonight, but it will be OK to enter up until tomorrow morning when I start the voting thread.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for a wonderful Challenge!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Another one I did a while back that almost would have qualified as an entry, paying homage to "Gravity Falls" (instead of a single panel cartoon).

Original:

Homage:

I withdrew my withdrawal, meaning I kept my Shadow Knows homage as an entry.  Excellent, de3an.  Even the trees, puddles, and lighting are spot on. 

Another great render, de3an!  I lament that you did not enter anything.

Diomede, good decision.  Maybe in the next Challenge we can do a homage to the shadow image you and de3an posted and see how may creative variation we can come up with. :)

edited March 2018

In the past month, we've all had the chance to pay homage to some cartoon favorites.  Now it's time to pay homage to our Carrara PA sponsor for this Challenge, Phil Wilkes. 

Phil hails from the UK.  He got his start in computers thanks in part to the BBC, which contracted with Acorn Computers to help establish computer literacy in the UK.

"I got my first computer (an Acorn BBC Micro) in 1982 and within a couple of years I had learned enough to have a couple of games published for it. I also started contributing to a UK magazine devoted to the BBC Micro.

I then upgraded to an Amiga where I had my first taste of 3D - Imagine 3D - and I was hooked, and soon moved on to a Windows PC and Inspire 3D (a cut down version of Lightwave) and then Lightwave itself."

During this period, Phil produced an animated "Mini-Movie" that was included on a magazine cover disk.

Pretty impressive for 1999!  Plus, as an avid keyboard player, he wrote and performed all of the music.  A man of many talents!

"Those programs were followed in time by Poser, Vue and eventually Carrara in 2008 (almost ten years ago!).  By this time I was posting images in the Renderosity gallery.  And as you can still see by my early renders there, I became fascinated with Carrara's lighting, replicators and dynamic hair."

Phil created this image for the Miss Rendo contest back in 2014.  Out of 300 entries, it won 1st place!

"A couple of years later, my work was noticed by Infinite Skills who were looking to publish a training title for Carrara and this led to me starting a series of titles for them on working with our favourite software.  My interest in Carrara's hair also led to me becoming a Daz PA, initially selling a number of hair models, and since then branching out into environments, lighting and more recently a number of products for Daz Studio."

One of Phil's most recent products is Animation in Carrara, a video tutorial.  Below is a video he did to illustrate the kind of skills he helps you to develop:

"One of the projects I am most proud of was doing the animation for a 5 minute short "Trick or Treat" a couple of years ago. Those 5 minutes took six months of work (all in Carrara) but it was rewarded by being accepted and shown at numerous film festivals all over the world - and even got me my own entry on IMDB! "

Here is the trailer to that animated video:

"Last year I took early retirement in order to devote my time to 3D work including the range of Daz products, animation projects, commercial graphics work, tutorials, and one-to-one tuition and any other 3D work which comes my way."

Below are some images illustrating the wide range of items in his store.  Readers here, please feel free to post your own renders of his products!

I feel especially indebted to Phil.  Without his Learning Carrara 8.5 video series, I wouldn't be posting these words.  So, thank you Phil, not just for sponsoring this Challenge, but also for entirely changing the way that I do 3D.  You are the trusted mentor that we all want, but rarely find.  I feel very lucky in finding you, Carrara, and this community!

Bikini Beauty PhilW Oct 2014.jpg
    1250 x 2000 - 281K
    Carrara realisticseas-main.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 189K
    an-english-village-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 241K
    central-business-district-for-carrara-daz3d e.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 288K
    central-business-district-for-carrara-daz3d c.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 357K
    octane-hair-shaders-for-carrara-daz3d a.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 238K
    Animation in carrara-video-tutorials-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 236K
    carrara-clouddomes-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 168K
    bright-eyes-for-carrara-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 172K

Stezza, I assume that was Realistic Seas?  Love the render.

yep... it is yes

edited March 2018

Phil's insta city with his realistic seas because I want to bog down the PC.... devil  cool

as if the flooding from the tsunami wasn't enough a giant pug dog from Fukushima ventured in as well!

Pug City.jpg
    800 x 480 - 501K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Here's my version of a different New Yorker cartoon (originally done by Tom Toro):

There is still time to create a cartoon, folks!  The above cartoon is pretty much all Toon 3.  Also got to do my first boolian cut.  Ain't Carrara grand! smiley

that's a scream :)

Diomede said:

I withdrew my withdrawal, meaning I kept my Shadow Knows homage as an entry.  Excellent, de3an.  Even the trees, puddles, and lighting are spot on. 

good decison plus one on the de3an comments.

@UNIFIEDBRAIN  terrific summary pf Phil's products - amazing to see them all in one place.

and thanks for tunning such a good challenge - above and beyond you are !! sorry I didn't participate more but real life invades

Stezza said:

Phil's insta city with his realistic seas because I want to bog down the PC.... devil  cool

as if the flooding from the tsunami wasn't enough a giant pug dog from Fukushima ventured in as well!

classic render Stezza :)