Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

HaHa, well I'm trying not to pick on you Bunyip.  It's just that I started reading Marvel comics back when the Hulk was first created by Jack Kirby (my favorite comic artist), and I've seen variations of that scene probably hundreds of times since.  Never laughed a single time.  The Hulk was intended as a tragic figure, and remains that way for me.

But if you truly think it is funny, then I bow to your wishes.  I appreciate all your entries, btw. yes  In the entire Carrara universe, you are one of the few artists who steps up and maxes out your entries in every Challenge.  Of course, not everyone has the time, but I'm glad that you are able to do so.

I have a zany-wacky, and often black sense of humour (not always appreciated by other people).

The Hulk is also a good metaphor about the dangers of technology !!!!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

smiley

edited February 2018

Worked on my Cat 1 entry today..

Used all the models I modeled during the course of this challenge apart from the Coyote & Sylvester which were sourced from the internets which I modified and boned.. and the wings also on the flying purple people eater are from the Daz store.

The rest I modeled and boned except for Mutley & Woodstock which I didn't get around to boning..

Rendered in Toon!PartIII with GMIC artistic Illustration look filter applied.

Group Photo

Group Photo.jpg
    900 x 506 - 288K
    group photoWiP1.jpg
    1464 x 792 - 196K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2018

added a group reunion banner with a soft body sim and changed the texture and position of the one eyed one horned flying purple people eater smiley

Group Photo

Group Photo 2018.jpg
    900 x 506 - 300K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Nice!  Impressive collection.  My only complaint is that I wish that you would give us a bigger version, so we could see it in all of its glory. :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

I have a zany-wacky, and often black sense of humour (not always appreciated by other people).

This dark enough?

Don-Martin_One-Fine-Evening-in-the-Castle_5437083ad3b3a3.51364056.jpg
    866 x 1200 - 260K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Bunyip02 said:

This dark enough?

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle !!!

I just didn't see a leg to start with!

Spent today modeling again....

any guesses?

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

any guesses?

Dastardly and Mutley in Their Flying Machines.

So are you going to model a Dick as well ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dastardly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dastardly_and_Muttley_in_Their_Flying_Machines

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

I've checked Dick out and thought boy that's gonna be hard doing that Dick..

that's why I stuck to the plane for now lol

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Bunyip02 said:

There still seems to be some misunderstanding of Category 2.  In Category 2, you can use cartoon characters (or not), but it is not really a cartoon category.  It is a joke category.

The idea behind Category 2 is that it needs to tell a funny or clever story, either with captions or with the image alone.  I realize that we are participating in this Challenge from different parts of the world, so we may have somewhat different ideas of what is funny or clever.  Still, I think that humor mostly transcends cultural boundaries.

So, while you may have created a terrific image of either a familiar or new cartoon character, if the entry is not telling a funny or very clever story, it is not Category 2.

If you have difficulty coming up with a funny joke to illustrate, just look on the internet.  I promise that you will find plenty of classic single frame cartoons that make you laugh.  Pick one if you want to do an homage, and either copy the image as closely as possible, or kitbash the image with your own unique interpretation.

Hope this is clear.  If not, please let me know.

I consider a highly intelligent scientist getting zapped by his own science and turning into something very primordial extremely funny !!!!!!

ha ha me too, thanks for the comment on my work UB - sorry I am stiull very busy setting up my wif'e's practice

banged up this websit for her https://www.jenniferfinniephysiotherapy.com/

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

I've checked Dick out and thought boy that's gonna be hard doing that Dick..

that's why I stuck to the plane for now lol

mind you, you are getting to be a world class boner. Maybe you could work for Steggles? :)

here's one for you to imaginup  "Q: Why did the bananana go to the doctor?"

,¡llǝʍ ʎɹǝʌ ƃuᴉlǝǝd ʇ,usɐʍ ǝɥ ǝsnɐɔǝq :∀,

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

There still seems to be some misunderstanding of Category 2.  In Category 2, you can use cartoon characters (or not), but it is not really a cartoon category.  It is a joke category.

The idea behind Category 2 is that it needs to tell a funny or clever story, either with captions or with the image alone.  I realize that we are participating in this Challenge from different parts of the world, so we may have somewhat different ideas of what is funny or clever.  Still, I think that humor mostly transcends cultural boundaries.

So, while you may have created a terrific image of either a familiar or new cartoon character, if the entry is not telling a funny or very clever story, it is not Category 2.

If you have difficulty coming up with a funny joke to illustrate, just look on the internet.  I promise that you will find plenty of classic single frame cartoons that make you laugh.  Pick one if you want to do an homage, and either copy the image as closely as possible, or kitbash the image with your own unique interpretation.

Hope this is clear.  If not, please let me know.

I consider a highly intelligent scientist getting zapped by his own science and turning into something very primordial extremely funny !!!!!!

ha ha me too, thanks for the comment on my work UB - sorry I am stiull very busy setting up my wif'e's practice

Wow, nice stock photos are used there on your wife's site. My hubby sells the photos of mine on stocks.

thanks Veronica :)  !

this is one of mine

Image may contain: one or more people, ocean, text and water

Andrew, beautiful picture!

edited February 2018
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

any guesses?

Dastardly and Mutley in Their Flying Machines.

So are you going to model a Dick as well ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dastardly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dastardly_and_Muttley_in_Their_Flying_Machines

I gave Dick a go while the Grandaughter watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...

that's it for today.... time for some Netflix yes

Dick and Muttley.jpg
    800 x 600 - 168K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Bunyip02 said:
    Vyusur said:

Bunyip, thanks a lot! But Dino is my original figure modeled and rigged last year. Dog's name is Odie.

Hello Vyusur, I love the Garfield comic strip including Odie. Very much like the Reptillian/Dinosaur skin you have on him, your Dino critter is cute too.

Thank you, Bunyip!

• head wax said:

Well, it's a bit quieter here when you don't post, but we are muddling through. :)  The bigger question is what happened to Dart, DustRider, and Jonstark, et al?  People here seem to drop off of a cliff at times.

Nice job on the website!  I didn't even know that you were married.  A multi-talented wife you have there.  Plus, she looks pretty cool. yes

• Stezza said:

I gave Dick a go while the Grandaughter watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...

Talk about a dark movie. :)

Stezza said:

that's it for today.... time for some Netflix yes

OK, no Dick jokes from me.  You are getting so fast at modeling characters.  Is this just a culmination of many years of acquiring modeling skills, or is ther a tutorial or two that you can point to?

Whatever, you are getting terrific results!

edited February 2018

yeah, thanks for that.. I think just years of fiddling with Hexagon & Carrara .. I haven't used any tutorials really except maybe some basic stuff found on YouTube.. I haven't bought any tutorials on modeling just gone with what does this do... ooops.. must remember not to do that next time approach and what you find out here on the forum.. I think modeling toon characters you can get away with a lot ... really surprised myself with Dick.. thought it would be longer to get it up and going...

boning still is a problem with me though.... but getting better. smiley

Dick Dastardly.jpg
    900 x 675 - 314K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Thanks Stezza, that was what I suspected.  That's why, when people here advocate some (great) technique that is about 3 levels over my head, I say maybe next year.  We all grow in abilities at different paces, but time is still a factor for everyone in order to achieve a reasonable comfort zone.  Plus, I see no reason to downplay the fact to noobs that Carrara is very deep, and that learning it will be an ongoing process (mostly a fun ongoing process if you don't totally fry your comfort zone) for many years.

So, a general thanks to everyone here for all of your help. yes  As a mentor of mine used to say, we are all in the same boat, but some are a little closer to the front. :)

Stezza said:

yeah, thanks for that.. I think just years of fiddling with Hexagon & Carrara .. I haven't used any tutorials really except maybe some basic stuff found on YouTube.. I haven't bought any tutorials on modeling just gone with what does this do... ooops.. must remember not to do that next time approach and what you find out here on the forum.. I think modeling toon characters you can get away with a lot ... really surprised myself with Dick.. thought it would be longer to get it up and going...

boning still is a problem with me though.... but getting better. smiley

Looking great Stezza !!!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018

An homage to Danny Shanahan, cartoonist for the New Yorker.  Toon 3 with no postwork.  Original is below.

is-the-homework-fresh-danny-shanaha.jpg
    900 x 765 - 74K
    Homework.png
    1200 x 1053 - 650K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

sorry to say but the peeps over at Hivewire3D managed to get all the vehicles...

last week

I forgot to post the results here lol

edited February 2018

Suddenly I remembered one picture from a seasonal calendar from my childhood. So I decided to realize the idea with 3d stuff.

YaToon+Toon!Pro. Bubbles were added in Affiniti Photo. Model is G3 Janette with Monique 8 head morph and my custom body morph.

Artist_model.jpg
    2000 x 1817 - 3M
    2018-02-27_1224.png
    1099 x 1007 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited February 2018

Got another one, just waiting for it to save before I do a render !

Total of seven figures - could be a while .....

Finally

Serfs Up

Toon! part III and GMIC cartoon

Raw Carrara render

Serfs Up 1 Toon3 GMICcartoon 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Serfs Up 1 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Vyusur said:

Suddenly I remembered one picture from a seasonal calendar from my childhood. So I decided to realize the idea with 3d stuff.

YaToon+Toon!Pro. Bubbles were added in Affiniti Photo. Model is G3 Janette with Monique 8 head morph and my custom body morph.

Ha!  That's the spirit.  Good realization, thanks for posting.

Minor point - the caption on the right would look a little better if the pointed area was pointing more towards the character.

• Bunyip02 said:

Got another one, just waiting for it to save before I do a render !

Total of seven figures - could be a while .....

Finally

Serfs Up

Toon! part III and GMIC cartoon

Raw Carrara render

I really like this effect, and what you did with it.  Thanks for posting the regular Carrara render as well.  It looks somewhat flat to me, which means that it will probably look good when adding the Toon effect (which it did).  To put it another way, to get the best cartoon filter result, we need to optimize the render lighting etc for the toon effect, and not the realistic effect.  A flatter, more 2D looking render will help the toon effect to really pop.

• We are down to the last week, folks.  Git 'r done!

And remember that everyone who enters gets a shot at a free item from PhilW's store.  He will be picking his favorite two renders, independent of the final voting result.

So, give us a toon.  You might be a winner!

UB, thank you for the comment. I've just fixed it.