Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited February 2018

And here is my final Street scene..

Doc1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    MusicSetup.jpg
    1000 x 697 - 473K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • Mad cat head...with a momentary crude neck extrusion. :)

Excellent work.  Looks just like the real deal in the Kliban cartoons!

• head wax said:

thanks UB, no just a pattern as a spotlight gel - only used Toon3

Creative!

head wax said:

great bikini eyeball render :)

Thanks!  I assumed in advance this would not be to everyone's tastes. :)  But if it has aliens and a beach babe, I'm in!

head wax said:

be back later and comment - sorry am setting  up wife's new business still - moving business after 25 years sheesh = ten truck loads, new stationary new signs new website blah blah

Sounds like a PITA.

head wax said:

this has the free sand plugin to grey the render down - mainly toon3 but i pushed the cel shader (under edit ) for toonPro! and it ended up changing all my shaders en masse (i think)

the yellowed one is above render run through photodonut filter

I really like both of these renders, maybe the yellow one a little better.   The style is the usual HW unusual.  Did that make sense?

I wondered what it would be like using ToonPro with Toon 3.  Carrara just got more interesting. :)

• PhilW said:

Sorry I haven't been around much lately but just looked through the whole of this thread and very impressed with what you are all doing. I don't think I'm going to have the opportunity to participate this time, and the judging is going to be as difficult as ever!

Yeah, well that is our loss.  But I know that you are working on a new product, so you are excused. :)

Besides, you are the PA sponsor for this Challenge.  And you have agreed to pick the two PA prizes at the end!  No pressure. :)

So folks, if you needed extra incentive to enter a render in this Challenge, there it is.  You don't have to get the most votes.  If Phil likes your render, you get a free product from his store.yesyesyes

• Varsel said:

Here is almost everything set to black. And with a white outline.

Using Toon3

Very cool, Varsel!  And thanks for posting those settings.  Toon 3 sure yields a lot of different looks.

• a new toon background rerender: high rez lighter shadows no line.

I actually liked the previous background.  The foreground shadows look a bit dark to me (the dragon and the trees on either side).  For me, shadows look great in a picture that has a lot of drama.  But this render is just gorgeous, and needs to be lit up enough to show its full glory.

That said, 100 people will probably give you 100 different opinions.  In the end, you gotta do what appeals most to you. :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    Varsel said:

And here is my final Street scene..

Wonderful render!  Some interesting possible messages playing out here.  Colorful creative musicians in a monochrome world of sameness?  Could call this one "A Different Drummer."  :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

haven't seen Dart around the traps either...

@HeadWax yep.. definate father jokes... got a groan outta me for sure devil

@Varsel love the white on black effect... really cool stuff yes

@DesertDude getting further along with the cat.... awesome work on that... wink

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Save Art

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2018

Not an entry, but I thought I'd throw it in wink

eott-npr.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2018

Another Toon III atempt by me.

Day-Dream.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 2M
    2018-02-20_1527.png
    1467 x 986 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Varsel - huge fan of the dark colors with white lines.  Very impactful.

DesertDude - model is coming along nicely.  Looks like the hardest part is done, unless you want more poses.

HeadWax - Great one.  Is that the Poser toon rodent?  Another reason like this challenge theme.

Stezza - Dark one.  I like it!  

Tim - Why not an entry?  Congrats again on the new release.

Veronica - I especially like how the flame came out.  Fluid pose and expression.  Well done.

Ted, thanks a lot!

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

Save Art

A Salvador Dali homage? :)  Crazy, but I liked it.

• Not an entry, but I thought I'd throw it in wink

Great scene.  Only takes 5 minutes to enter. :)

• Vyusur said:

Another Toon III atempt by me.

Very nice composition, Vyusur!  Thanks for posting those settings.  A bit more subtle outline than most.

UB thank you very much!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    Diomede said:

@UnifedBrain - thanks for the comment on the relative brightness of the shadows.  Easy to fix.  Great cat toons.

I went back and substituted a revised image for that entry.  It now has darker shadows.  Thanks again.

edited February 2018

My second original cartoon composition. ToonPro outlines, no postwork.

2018-02-22_2202.png
    1091 x 934 - 408K
    Lets_navigate.jpg
    1500 x 1160 - 895K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited February 2018

The third simple composition. ToonPro outlines, no postwork.

Doc02.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 735K
    2018-02-22_2201.png
    766 x 842 - 478K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Vyusur said:

My second original cartoon composition. ToonPro outlines, no postwork.

This is very nice Vyusur, especially the unusual textures.  You listed it as both Category 2 (Original cartoon) and Category 3 (Stezza's dog).  My feeling is that it is not a Category 2 classic cartoon, as it does not have a funny or clever caption.  Maybe there is a inference that I am missing?  Please let me know.  However,it still qualifies for the Challenge in Category 3.  This gives you two entries in Category 3, and that is fine.  You can have two entries in the same category, and even have three entries in the same category if they are all Category 1.

Frankly, I'm puzzled in general about the lack so far of Category 2 Homage WIP's in this Challenge.  How hard is it to pick out a favorite classic single frame cartoon on the internet and make a creative render out of it?  A lot of days left, so I am still hoping. smiley

• Vyusur said:

The third simple composition. ToonPro outlines, no postwork.

Great pose!  I also appreciate that you keep trying stuff in Carrara without postwork, even when it is not a requirement. yes

edited February 2018

Stezza's cat, Toon 3, G'MIC Watercolor filter, no postwork

That's One Hot Cat.png
    1500 x 1050 - 2M
    edited February 2018

UB, thank you for the comments! I made the corrections, I hope it's better now.

PS

The textures on the dog are all Carrara's native materials.

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    Vyusur said:

UB, thank you for the comments! I made the corrections, I hope it's better now.

PS

The textures on the dog are all Carrara's native materials.

Nice Dino dog !!!!

Bunyip, thanks a lot! But Dino is my original figure modeled and rigged last year. Dog's name is Odie.

Doc3.jpg
    1000 x 1198 - 1012K
    Vyusur said:

Bunyip, thanks a lot! But Dino is my original figure modeled and rigged last year. Dog's name is Odie.

Hello Vyusur, I love the Garfield comic strip including Odie. Very much like the Reptillian/Dinosaur skin you have on him, your Dino critter is cute too.

• There still seems to be some misunderstanding of Category 2.  In Category 2, you can use cartoon characters (or not), but it is not really a cartoon category.  It is a joke category.

The idea behind Category 2 is that it needs to tell a funny or clever story, either with captions or with the image alone.  I realize that we are participating in this Challenge from different parts of the world, so we may have somewhat different ideas of what is funny or clever.  Still, I think that humor mostly transcends cultural boundaries.

So, while you may have created a terrific image of either a familiar or new cartoon character, if the entry is not telling a funny or very clever story, it is not Category 2.

If you have difficulty coming up with a funny joke to illustrate, just look on the internet.  I promise that you will find plenty of classic single frame cartoons that make you laugh.  Pick one if you want to do an homage, and either copy the image as closely as possible, or kitbash the image with your own unique interpretation.

Hope this is clear.  If not, please let me know.

There still seems to be some misunderstanding of Category 2.  In Category 2, you can use cartoon characters (or not), but it is not really a cartoon category.  It is a joke category.

The idea behind Category 2 is that it needs to tell a funny or clever story, either with captions or with the image alone.  I realize that we are participating in this Challenge from different parts of the world, so we may have somewhat different ideas of what is funny or clever.  Still, I think that humor mostly transcends cultural boundaries.

So, while you may have created a terrific image of either a familiar or new cartoon character, if the entry is not telling a funny or very clever story, it is not Category 2.

If you have difficulty coming up with a funny joke to illustrate, just look on the internet.  I promise that you will find plenty of classic single frame cartoons that make you laugh.  Pick one if you want to do an homage, and either copy the image as closely as possible, or kitbash the image with your own unique interpretation.

Hope this is clear.  If not, please let me know.

I consider a highly intelligent scientist getting zapped by his own science and turning into something very primordial extremely funny !!!!!!

• HaHa, well I'm trying not to pick on you Bunyip.  It's just that I started reading Marvel comics back when the Hulk was first created by Jack Kirby (my favorite comic artist), and I've seen variations of that scene probably hundreds of times since.  Never laughed a single time.  The Hulk was intended as a tragic figure, and remains that way for me.

But if you truly think it is funny, then I bow to your wishes.  I appreciate all your entries, btw. yes  In the entire Carrara universe, you are one of the few artists who steps up and maxes out your entries in every Challenge.  Of course, not everyone has the time, but I'm glad that you are able to do so.