February 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Try using the texture for the ball as the colour in the Emissive channel and lower the Luminance until you get the light and the texture showing. To turn a 3Delight object into an Iray one select the surface and use the Iray Uber Shader.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Here is a thread from 2016 about making a prop emissive. It has an illustrated workflow. Note that in that example, I put the prop texture file in both the Emission Color and Luminance. I don't think it is necessary to put it in the Luminance channel.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited December 2018

@ Fishtales

Thanks!  Pulldown menu & load file is there for a reason eh?

So easy once someone else points it out!  D'ope...

@ Barbult

Does the bump map matter?  In testing the 'glowing' volleyball, I noticed that file MIA, so I put it back. 

With so many props out there-- no one "recipe" then?

I did the screenshot before you posted.  If it's inaccurate or misleading will remove it.  smiley

Meanwhile, guess I better shut up.  Don't want to come off as trying to hog all the attnetion or be "Mr. Expert" or anything.

@ Everyone

Best wishes for February!   

--Bruce

---
    Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM missing links.

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@Tynkere

An easy way to find any missing maps is to load any map that is loaded for an object and load it into any maps you think are missing then click on that image and choose Browse which will take you to the textures folder for that object and you can look for any missing maps.

If you lost the bump map, maybe that happened when you applied the Emissive shader. If you hold down the Control (Ctrl) key before double clicking to apply the Emissive shader, you can prevent existing image maps from getting removed. When the dialog pops up, Choose Selected and Ignore. That prevents the Emissive shader from removing your image maps from the surface. 

• RARA Posts: 78
    daybird said:
    RA said:

Hello, thanks for hosting this event. The tutorials and comments are very helpful.

This render is my first time using the dome. I set the time for 8:10 pm.  I used 4 spots and 2 points. 

RA

Hi RA and a warm welcome here from me.

I hope this would become the same familiar place for you, as it is now for me.

Interesting start with the two ladys. Did you render in 3Delight, or in Iray? I tend to Iray when I look at your picture?

As I can see, both of them are floating in the air. That happen sometimes, because Daz studio always tries to place loaded figures/props etc. on the ground.

I think, the building you loaded, have a tricky detail. As you can see, there is a small ramp behind the two women. The area behind this ramp is set with the ground level, but the area in the foreground goes under this line.

So even when you press ctrl/strg+d when you have selected one of your women, nothing will happen, because they are already on the ground level. You must select them separately and manually lower them with the Y Translate lever to the bottom.

Or you go the other way and raise the building, what may be the easier way and have also the advantage, that you get no problems when you lower a camera under the ground line. I have learned, that strange things are happen, when I do that. Sometimes texture disappear or shader would not rendered correctly.

The green and purple light creates a great effect and I like the expressions.Keep them!

The color suggests, that the woman on the right one, feels insecure and have a little fear. BTW. what do she hold in her right hand, In this position I can't see it clear.

What I would do in your place, is to change position from the green and purple spotlight to lower the shadows on the faces. Place them not direct above, put them a little more before the women. 

Daybird, thanks for writing. I like your suggestion of moving the lights on the 2 women forward. Will give it a go.

Tynkere said:

@ RA

Welcome to the fun!  

I like how the jewels on her necklace are sparkling.  Since you’re probably in first stages of it, won’t comment on anything I see (that you might already know) unless you give the OK.

Like to think each monthly challenge is really a challenge to ourselves.  Hopefully it's not about out-doing one another, or I wouldn't play.  I have some thoughts, but since we don’t know one another, will only offer suggestions if you give the go ahead.  smiley

@Tynkere

I like the new format for the monthly challenge. I would value input concerning lighting. Thanks for checking out my entry

• A little tighter view.

Maybe a fog would help?

witch.jpg
    968 x 881 - 465K
    Gallows said:

A little tighter view.

Maybe a fog would help?

The lighting looks pretty good, as long as the dragon is your emphasis. My eye is drawn right to it. I'm curious; what is your reason for wanting to add fog?
    I think you've cropped a little too closely. We now see only a partial left hand. It doesn't look right to me to have her hand cut off at the finger joints like that. Consider adjusting the aspect ratio to get a wider view. I wonder how it would look as 16 by 9. Would that be too wide? 

edited February 2018

@ Fishtales and Barbult

Thanks.  Copy, paste, and print out.  Into a 3-ring binder it goes!

@ Gallows

Changed material of staff again, or my imagination?  Darker color looks much better imo.

Tend to agree with Barbult about cropping & maybe widening aspect ratio.  Then again don't know what you have in mind.  If want to keep present dimensions, scale dragon down ever so slightly, and have room to pan camera to the right a bit?  Get rest of hand that's holding staff?

@ RA

Thanks.  I’m always hesitant to comment like I’m playing CV or something.  “Mind your own beeswax!” sort of thing.  :)

Feel free to tell me anything you see on my stuff.  More feedback I get, the better!

Anyway, guessing you’re in ‘concept’ stage so who cares if characters are floating.  Assume you’ll get around to that when tidy up.  : )

Nice mix of different color lights on the two actresses.  Character on right seems to be walking away like she doesn't like what the other one has just said?

“Well!  I never!” 

Character on left seems to be like, “Hey... I was just sayin’...”

Good expressions on them.

You lost me on the real ‘eye catcher’ though-- the empty rectangle of light in the middle.

Be very interested to see what you end up doing with it!

best

--Bruce 

• Here's version i. All that was done is changing some settings on the fire to try and get a little more illumination in the main area.

feb2018i.png
    1080 x 872 - 2M

Here's version i. All that was done is changing some settings on the fire to try and get a little more illumination in the main area.

Looking pretty good. What is causing the dog tags guy to have such inflated shoulders?

• cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 353
    edited February 2018

Title: "Raider of the Lost Lands" (a.k.a. A really bad time to run out of bullets) 

Programs: Daz Studio, Bryce 5.5 (background image), GIMP

Credits:

Genesis/ Michael 5 by DAZ Originals

Clothes: M5 Casual Male (pants and boots); M3 Winter Jacket by Kotaro; Sickle Fingerless Gloves by Sickleyield; Cowboy Hat by Wilmap's Digital Creations

Deep Delver Freebie Machete and Torch by Sickleyield

AR-15 Tactical Rifle from Firearm Pack by ARTCollab and Sarsa

Carnotaurus by Herschel Hoffmeyer

Ruins by JeffersonAF

Monument #2 by Joe Kurz

Jungle Hideaway by ARTCollab (plants and grass)

Quetzalcoatl statue by DarkSpark2099 (downloaded from Thingiverse)

Jungle Background elements by Lyne's Creations

Suggestions and critique greatly welcome. Thanks in advance.

lost lands.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 2M
    Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401
    edited February 2018

Two versions for your critiques:

As you can see from version 1, I have gotten the rubber duck to glow - but without additional light sources, I can't seem to get much else in the render visible. I tried adding some ambient light and a few strong spotlights to her face, but everything just flattens her out.

My second attempt is from another angle. My idea was to use Marshian's volumetric light to get a nice "god ray" effect around the figure. What I got was a glowing duck in a bubble (the volumetric prop). And, of course, I have somehow added far to much light to the whole scene... *sigh*

Comments and advice appreciated!

rubber duck front 2.png
    671 x 888 - 947K
    rubber duck from top.png
    671 x 888 - 998K
    Post edited by LaPartita on
  • @Chameo That's a cool lighting setup. I'll have to remember that. I just learned something new.  :)

@LaPetiteVerita If it were me, I'd turn down the emission on the duck because, with the emissions that high, you've lost some of the definitions of your duck. I'd add a couple of planes (create new primitive>plane) above her head and to the right and left of her and set those to emit some low-level diffuse light. If you get the settings correct, they won't cast shadows but you'll have some added light to your scene so the duck will stand out more and you won't have to add so much extra light to your scene. I'm not sure what's going on with the volumetric light to give the bubble effect without seeing your scene setup and settings.

You guys are all doing great so far. I love seeing your progress. :)

Tynkere said:

@ RA

Thanks.  I’m always hesitant to comment like I’m playing CV or something.  “Mind your own beeswax!” sort of thing.  :)

Feel free to tell me anything you see on my stuff.  More feedback I get, the better!

Anyway, guessing you’re in ‘concept’ stage so who cares if characters are floating.  Assume you’ll get around to that when tidy up.  : )

You lost me on the real ‘eye catcher’ though-- the empty rectangle of light in the middle.

Be very interested to see what you end up doing with it!

best

--Bruce 

Bruce, thanks for the feedback.  The rectangle in the center of my scene is just the sunset showing through an entryway in one of the Dystopian blocks. But I can see where it needs some geometry to provide context.  Great catch.

Re: your scene, the only comment I could offer concerns color. I have noticed 3D artists producing highly realistic scenes that somehow don't come together; the elements all feel props with no coherence. 

One of the causes is lack of unified color palatte; randomly inserting shades and tints, mixing cool and warm colors. For yours, either the wall could be a base for the scene palatte or the pink hat could. 

Otherwise, I enjoy seeing your iterations and really like the concept of impending danger that you captured with the menacing shadow.

RA

• Tried to tweek the dogtags last night, so here's version j.

feb2018j.png
    1080 x 872 - 2M
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited February 2018

Title: "Raider of the Lost Lands" (a.k.a. A really bad time to run out of bullets) 

Programs: Daz Studio, Bryce 5.5 (background image), GIMP

Credits:

Genesis/ Michael 5 by DAZ Originals

Clothes: M5 Casual Male (pants and boots); M3 Winter Jacket by Kotaro; Sickle Fingerless Gloves by Sickleyield; Cowboy Hat by Wilmap's Digital Creations

Deep Delver Freebie Machete and Torch by Sickleyield

AR-15 Tactical Rifle from Firearm Pack by ARTCollab and Sarsa

Carnotaurus by Herschel Hoffmeyer

Ruins by JeffersonAF

Monument #2 by Joe Kurz

Jungle Hideaway by ARTCollab (plants and grass)

Quetzalcoatl statue by DarkSpark2099 (downloaded from Thingiverse)

Jungle Background elements by Lyne's Creations

Suggestions and critique greatly welcome. Thanks in advance.

Glad I'm not in his boots.  The thumbnail alone was enough to give me the chills, good start.

Edit- I'd recomend that you use DOF to focus on the explorer and the Carnotaurus he's looking at. It might be tricky though, but give it a try if you have a chance.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    edited February 2018

@ Cathan

Glad you posted.  Had missed you from last month.

So Bryce can do that?  Pretty cool!  Will have to look into it.

Lot of fun picking out the little details.  Almost didn't catch the stone monuments-- nice touch.  Like dino in foreground.  Not only bad time to run out of ammo, but he'd better be quick with the machette!  surprise

@ LaPetite

Yeah that's tough because didn't realize the distance between her face and duckie until you posted second shot.  Hope you solve it! 

@ RA

Love talking about stuff like this.  Hope I don't end up sounding like a snot or a dweeb!

Is the green text on the sign throwing you off?

Almost everything in the scene (except clothes and sign) is a variation of red-- skintone, hat, wall, utility box, & book

On the color wheel, the opposite of red is green, so I picked that color for text on the sign-- maximum contrast.  

I was going to have "01" on the utility box as high contrast too, but distracting.  Figured people would either notice and make the connection ("One + "M" could mean... ) Or they won't notice at all.  : /

Anyway, very interested in what's bothering you about it.

Text on the book?

Anything that distracts from the 6 main elements in the image needs to go!

@ Shinji

Not sure what else you can could do at this point which makes it interesting.  Kind of liked the dogtags when 'flat' on his chest, but that's just me...  Cool tribute to WW-II vets BTW.  yes

• Tynkere said:

@ Shinji

Not sure what else you can could do at this point which makes it interesting.  Kind of liked the dogtags when 'flat' on his chest, but that's just me...  Cool tribute to WW-II vets BTW.  yes

Thanks Tynkere, I can't think of anything else to do in the remaining week as well. Here's hoping that my uncle and grandfather are seeing what I've done this month, and liked it. (I also hope that if my uncle sees it, he finds the easter egg.) 

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401
    edited February 2018

@KnittingMommy - I've got a render cooking along the lines you suggested. We'll see how it turns out. And I used planes, not just tools from a product! I feel like the training wheels just came off.

Speaking of products, here's my setup for AtmoCam, screenshotted in wireframe preview mode. The camera itself is highlighted in yellow, and the bubble is the circle prop (I can't remember the actual name) that comes with the camera.

Edit: Current render - lighting sources are the duck and 3 planes

Capture duck setup.JPG
    546 x 648 - 99K
    rubber duck above revised.png
    671 x 888 - 538K
    Post edited by LaPartita on
  • Your thoughts have really helped me refine.  I looked back at the start and liked it the best.  I wanted it simple.

dragonlet.jpg
    968 x 881 - 428K
  •  

Glad I'm not in his boots.  The thumbnail alone was enough to give me the chills, good start.

Edit- I'd recomend that you use DOF to focus on the explorer and the Carnotaurus he's looking at. It might be tricky though, but give it a try if you have a chance.

D...DOF...

Just when I'm kinda sorta (not really) getting the hang of IRAY, Shinji Ikari 9th makes a scary challenge. But I'll give it my best. Thank you for the feedback an suggestions. I like the illumination cast by your campfire. Your image has a cyberpunk post-apocalyptic theme (one of my fav genres). The cyborg's (?) eyes are freaking me out. They must be war buddies for the other guy to be so relaxed. Really nice.

Tynkere said:

@ Cathan

Glad you posted.  Had missed you from last month.

So Bryce can do that?  Pretty cool!  Will have to look into it.

Lot of fun picking out the little details.  Almost didn't catch the stone monuments-- nice touch.  Like dino in foreground.  Not only bad time to run out of ammo, but he'd better be quick with the machette!  surprise

Thanks, Tynkere. I'd hoped to post earlier this month, but... procrastination... 

I couldn't find an appropriate (i.e. free) HDRI map for IRAY, so I made the background image in Bryce 5.5, resized it in GIMP, then replaced the backdrop plane texture of JeffersonAF's ruins (its a big terrain prop I found on Renderosity). I wish Bryce 5.5 had the ability to make HDRI IBL maps.

Your image gives me the feeling of a film noir mystery (another fav movie genre). Like someone's trying to get in the way of the heroine's attempts to solve the mystery.

Tynkere said:

@ RA

Love talking about stuff like this.  Hope I don't end up sounding like a snot or a dweeb!

Is the green text on the sign throwing you off?

Almost everything in the scene (except clothes and sign) is a variation of red-- skintone, hat, wall, utility box, & book

On the color wheel, the opposite of red is green, so I picked that color for text on the sign-- maximum contrast.  

I was going to have "01" on the utility box as high contrast too, but distracting.  Figured people would either notice and make the connection ("One + "M" could mean... ) Or they won't notice at all.  : /

Anyway, very interested in what's bothering you about it.

Text on the book?

Anything that distracts from the 6 main elements in the image needs to go!

@Tynkere , again your image is wonderful; especially for this challenge. Your use of shadow conveys everything. 

Red can lean toward the orange (yellow), or toward the purple (blue). 

If, for example, your wall is a shade of red that leans toward the orange/yellow, perhaps the the sign could also lean that way, whether by adjusting the red, or by giving the spotlight an orange cast. 

Switching the blue clothing and book for warm greens or tans would likewise be complementary.

RA

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Ok, no much improvement, but this is it for now. Last entry, for this month, from my side.

23.02.18.jpg
    1400 x 2265 - 4M
  • daybird said:

Ok, no much improvement, but this is it for now. Last entry, for this month, from my side.

Looks like the beast is getting ready to belch a fireball at her. BTW what did you use for the beast?

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    daybird said:

Looks like the beast is getting ready to belch a fireball at her. BTW what did you use for the beast?

Just the Xerr Monster https://www.daz3d.com/xerr

I think, it was once a freebie in one of the DAZ studio versions, or I'm wrong?

• edited February 2018

Ok here I go, I have always struggled with lighting, but I think (and I hope you agree) I'm getting better. The image I submit was so hard, I wanted natural lighting yet I had to colour the front end, I did not want the emphasis on the eyes because, deep down, there has always been something dark behind Buffys, the background has to look corridor type but strong enough to show the detail, the point lights should emphasis the knucles but, again, not make them the focus, I have worked so hard on this image and I really can't see myself improving what I have... So here is my Buffy, she is a G8F model that has taken me sooo long, I hope you all like it and espcially the lighting,

BuffyG8F.png
    864 x 881 - 1M
    Post edited by deancoombes1965_a2b7b663db on
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    edited February 2018

I've been working on a second render for the month, playing with different kinds of lighting, and I've slipped back into my genre comfort zone - light magical fantasy. This one is actually three separate renders, with all the work but one step done within the Studio. One render uses dome and scene lighting, with spots, an emissive plane, Epic godrays and a distant light; one uses scene only with the same light setup (minus the godrays) and different settings, and the third uses sun-sky only, with a camera as the sun node, and an emissive surface on one of the pieces. All three scenes use the same background and setting - Woodland Realms Playset 1.

The first  scene:

The second scene:

The final composed scene:

Title: The Golden Hour

For the final scene, I used the two previous renders as the base color on a circular plane, then inset each plane into a very scaled-up milk bottle cover, positioned them, and added a few more elements to the scene. The "reflection" plane is emissive, with a pale yellow-gold color, and the same image used in the diffuse overlay color, emission color and luminance settings. - oh, I used GIMP to flip the "magic" render vertically and horizontally so I could match it up properly with the scene it's "reflecting" - my 5-year-old granddaughter pointed out that it's not a reflection if it's not the exact same.

combined--golden hour-done.jpg
    1369 x 965 - 1M
    final-magical-friends.jpg
    995 x 965 - 907K
    final-real-world-friends.jpg
    995 x 965 - 1004K
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • edited February 2018

Sorry didn't see the jpeg rule, and I should add... One scene, one render, all inside dazstudio 4.10 using IRay renderer, not photoshopped in anyway or anything else.

Sorry don't know how to post an image either, other than as an attachment!

BuffyG8F.jpg
    864 x 881 - 571K
    Post edited by deancoombes1965_a2b7b663db on