Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018

Some examples of combining toon with photoreal in Cool World and Mary Poppins.

1a CoolWorld_Still_R1.jpg
    300 x 202 - 28K
    1b CoolWorld_Still_R1.jpg
    301 x 167 - 11K
    1c van d 17678f_lg.jpg
    392 x 283 - 30K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Well after another render I took a screen shot of the before toon3 filter and after the filter is applied and it does really make the image much darker with the settings I have. Not sure why it is so much dfferrent.

What lighting are you using?  The regular PR render (the "before" render) looks very realistic, which leads me to think that you are using GI or Atmosphere.  With Toon 3, I usually just use distance lights.  For me, the Toon 3 filter works better when the regular PR render looks a little flat.  Maybe use ambient more?  Another option is gamma, but go low rather than high.

I changed the tank back to the desert pattern brown to better see it and the personel interacting on and near it.

Before

After

Toon 3 settings

Will see if I have anymore time to do this or just put it to rest.

The Edge in Degrees setting may be too low.  That low will often create blochy lines.  18-21 is safer.  But I think the darkness issue is more connected to the lighting.

Whatever the outcome, it is a cool render!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

Moved the trees, then I got this when I rendered :-

What the Freddy ?!!!!!

Must be a glich with the file saved having both Toon! & GMIC

OK, it just happened to me again.  I tried several different things to fix it which didn't work.  Then I fixed it.  I didn't want to move anything in the scene, and I didn't want to delete the filter, so I simply changed that filter to a different one, then changed it back.  Of course, I had to redo the settings as I wasn't using default.  But I didn't have to delete the filter, so it kept its position in the stack.

Hope that made sense!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited February 2018

You all work so fast!  smiley

After several false starts I think I'm on the right track...but I have never modeled a model "in pose" before so I know I am in for some surprises. 

Ear and lower jaw still separate.

kliban_mad_phase_002.jpg
    1015 x 848 - 168K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited February 2018

I always crank up the lighting in my toon scenes... moreso more than any is the ambient... I also render at large size 2500px or more then resize back to 800 for the forum.

Chad predates Kilroy by a few years, and may have been the created by British cartoonist George Chatterton in the late 1930s. As best as anyone can tell, at some point during the war, American soldiers borrowed Mr. Chad's image and married it to their own name and phrase, “Kilroy was here.”

But we can adapt it to ....................

Wot! No Version 9!

Chad Kilroy WiP.jpg
    997 x 751 - 101K
    Chad Kilroy WiP1.jpg
    966 x 773 - 104K
    Chad Kilroy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 293K
    Post edited by Stezza on

great work... I find that type of modeling harder to do... yes

You all work so fast!  smiley

After several false starts I think I'm on the right track...but I have never modeled a model "in pose" before so I know I am in for some surprises. 

• You all work so fast!  smiley

Stezza said it.  You are taking on something that I've never done.  Best of luck!

• Stezza said:

Chad predates Kilroy by a few years, and may have been the created by British cartoonist George Chatterton in the late 1930s. As best as anyone can tell, at some point during the war, American soldiers borrowed Mr. Chad's image and married it to their own name and phrase, “Kilroy was here.”

But we can adapt it to ....................

Wot! No Version 9!

Nice Kilroy Stezza!  Kilroy is a perfect character for this Challenge (and this render would have worked for Challenge #27 as well :).

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited February 2018

hah :) I wont even try to comment on what I have missed - well I will later ;) Chickenman try changing the highlight shadows line colours etc  - make them red and yellow and blue - that might give you a clue to what is happening - also bumping up ambient will reduce shadows

here's a Toon3 from me - no post worlk bar sig 

this is what we call a 'dad' joke here in oz

Doc1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Diomede said:
    Here is The Shadow Knows adjusted.

Forgot to comment on this, and it deserves a comment. 

Love your concept here, Diomede!  Is there some reason that you didn't make the shadows darker?

• head wax said:

here's a Toon3 from me - no post worlk bar sig 

this is what we call a 'dad' joke here in oz

Over here in the US we call it a 'bad' joke. smiley

Just funning with you.  We call it a dad joke over here too.  And it got a laugh from me, so it worked!  Nice G'MIC (I assume) effect.

head wax said:

edited February 2018

First Contact

This is a Category 2 homage.  Postwork is permitted in Category 2, but this one has no postwork.

Several years ago I stumbled across the original version of this cartoon on the internet.  I was unable to find the author, or where it was originally published.

Here is the original (in poor shape):

After some nurturing and feeding from me in GIMP, this was my attempt to restore it to a more original condition:

My thought was to eventually do a 3D version in Daz Studio, but Carrara came into the picture, and the project was put on hold until my skills were adequite to do it justice.

The figures are the Toon Alien (my $5 freebie), Callie 6, and the toon rocketship from Kenmo on sharecg.  Aiko 3 was mad I didn't use her, but I have to use Genesis 2 models occasionally, or I may forget how they work.  The other products are the V6 bikini and trusty Vivian hair.

Special thanks to Bunyip who reminded me about the Strange Worlds background freebies on Rendo.  I'm using one of those backgrounds, slightly modified in PSE.

I almost forgot - I used a shadow catcher for the very first time!  Sorry to be the wide-eyed noob, but Carrara is just ASTOUNDING.

Toon Alien Carrara setup1.PNG
    1550 x 1005 - 876K
    Toon Alien First Contact.png
    1200 x 893 - 576K
    aliens and blonde.jpg
    555 x 591 - 59K
    aliens and blonde GIMP.png
    1122 x 1196 - 2M
    edited February 2018

That's One Cool Cat (Stezza's suggested title)

I wanted to make sure that I got to do a render of Stezza's cat model.  It's not an entry, as all my entry categories are used up, but Stezza did a great job and it deserves some love.

Went for a watercolor effect.

This is basically a Category 1, using Toon 3 and the G'MIC Watercolor filter, with no postwork.  The Watercolor filter is not for the faint of heart.  It has 23 adjustments!  Most of them are sliders with wide ranges.  And lighting affects the filter a bunch, so that is yet another infinite variable.  And of course, stacking and stacking order affects it as well.  You can spend months in this filter and not figure out all of the combinations.

A note of caution - when using Watercolor, I have noticed that if I open the filter, and decide not to change anything, and I hit "Cancel," instead of "OK," that it might abort the filter!  So, at this point, I always hit "OK" when closing the filter.

I did play with the mesh a bit to get the Toon 3 outlines to work better.

That Excellent Cat.png
    800 x 1155 - 428K

that's one kool kat 

• Auuk!  That's the obvious title I should have given it!  Going to change it now.

Now I have to thank you for both the character and the title. surpriseyes

lol... no probs...

Slow & Steady Wins the Race

• I believe that according to ancient custom, you are now entitled to my first born. smiley

Stezza said:

lol... no probs...

Slow & Steady Wins the Race

Nice!  Got your characteristic style written all over it.  Love the checkered finish line. 

Is this a message for DesertDude?

edited February 2018

no thanks... they cost too much! laugh

One thing this challenge has done is helped me with modeling and boning ... starting to get a bit better at both especially the weight painting which is still a PITA but I think I have improved since I tried to do the dog... the biggest tip in weight painting I've found is untick the 3d brush... that was giving me all sorts of problems when selected.

SylntweeyWiP.jpg
    1085 x 774 - 109K
    Sylvester and Tweety in Carrara.jpg
    800 x 566 - 242K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2018

Ha!

Another Watercolor render of the cat, this time with the "Modern" setting ticked.

Stezza, glad to know that this Challenge has been helpful, for whatever reason.  I don't yet know anything about boning or weight painting.  Maybe next year!

That more abstract cat.png
    800 x 1155 - 707K
    edited February 2018

@DesertDude - as Stezza poited out, my speed will not help me win the race.

@UnifedBrain - thanks for the comment on the relative brightness of the shadows.  Easy to fix.  Great cat toons.

@Stezza - you are on fire!  maybe one of your entries could be a collage.  RE: weightpainting.  Another thing that I find helps is that when it comes time to reduce weight, remember you can delete a bone from the elibible list entirely.  It is especially useful around the armpits and hip/thigh area.

edited February 2018

@Diomede... thanks for that tip.. I didn't know you could do that... well I could see that you could delete and when I have deleted I stuffed it up lol .. so I didn't do that again.. 

I reckon you should start a new topic on weight painting yes

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

I reckon you should start a new topic on weight painting yes

When you win this challenge, you could have a category in the next for people to acquire a free obj from the web, rig it, and pose it.  Even better, we could revisit the early days of the challenges and require people to rig something from the native content browser.  Despite all this study and practice, I don't seem to be getting any better than rigging the browser astronaut and browser ape in Desperado of the Planet of the Apes.  Would have been a perfect candidate for toon 3 and GMIC filters.

Do we not have a thread dedicated to weightpanting?  I guess not.  Hmmm.

edited February 2018

We now have a thread dedicated to rigging stuff for use in Carrara.  Note - you can rig in Carrara, Daz Studio, or Poser, and use in Carrara.  Steps are a little different, and there are some things in Studio and Poser that won't be quite right in Carrara.

See

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/233691/rigging-models-for-use-in-carrara

• Go for it!  However, unless there are very basic tutorials, I'm out if it is a requirement in a Challenge.  You guys have no idea how advanced this topic is to someone of my experience.  I can't follow the sample threads at all, sorry.

Like I said - and I was serious - maybe next year! smiley

Stezza, was that Sylvester a new model?  Looks incredibly good.yes

Nope.. another low rez obj I got hold of like wile e and then rigged and weight painted.. or tried to...

I modeled/rigged/weight painted tweety and the cage

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Mad cat head...with a momentary crude neck extrusion. :)

kliban_mad_phase_006a.jpg
    640 x 480 - 53K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited February 2018

Over here in the US we call it a 'bad' joke. smiley

Just funning with you.  We call it a dad joke over here too.  And it got a laugh from me, so it worked!  Nice G'MIC (I assume) effect.

thanks UB, no just a pattern as a spotlight gel - only used Toon3

great bikini eyeball render :)

be back later and comment - sorry am setting  up wife's new business still - moving business after 25 years sheesh = ten truck loads, new stationary new signs new website blah blah

this has the free sand plugin to grey the render down - mainly toon3 but i pushed the cel shader (under edit ) for toonPro! and it ended up changing all my shaders en masse (i think)

the yellowed one is above render run through photodonut filter

Untitled-211.jpg
    1110 x 1121 - 354K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1201 x 1033 - 308K
    Doc22.jpg
    2000 x 1834 - 878K
    Doc2photodonut2.jpg
    2000 x 1834 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Sorry I haven't been around much lately but just looked through the whole of this thread and very impressed with what you are all doing. I don't think I'm going to have the opportunity to participate this time, and the judging is going to be as difficult as ever!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited February 2018

Here is almost everything set to black. And with a white outline.

Using Toon3

GirlDragon02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 455K
    DragonSetup.jpg
    1000 x 648 - 290K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • Nice!  The background now looks somewhat painterly (which you wanted) but matches the foreground characters better.

Are you doing this with no postwork?

i take a carrara photoreal render to PD howler.

post work it there.

and then use the post work as a texture in the carrara backdrop in the toon render.

the toon render has a shadow catcher and no post work.

as the post worekd render is a content for the  toon render it should be ok for challenge #1.

i made 2 post work versions in pd howler to get 2 styles, as you wanted a line art one.

but the first idea was a painterly backgroud that's trying to be a realistic painting.

like the backgrounds in the fire and ice film.

I understand.  Basically, you are postworking a background, and then applying that background in the final Carrara render.

Since this is more of a community-building Challenge, and not a cutthroat competition, it makes no sense for me to play the role of overly-strict rulemaker.  Plus, it becomes a slippery slope very quickly when defining what is permissible postwork, and what is not.  And further, people just get annoyed.

I do think that when half the image is a postworked background, is does violate the spirit of the rule a bit.smiley  But your intent is good, so as far as I am concerned, it is OK.

ok

to be realy fine i rerenderd the background file in low rez and a toon filter.

uploaded it as a backdrop and renderd it.

so you get a lesser version that's all carrara all toon.

Well, you didn't need to make the change on my account. :)  But other than it being a bit dark, so far I like this one the best. yes

a new toon background rerender: high rez lighter shadows no line.

cartoon dragon1 toon new.png
    3000 x 2250 - 6M