Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur - I like your Toon renders, maybe less art critic and more fun needed ?

Diomede - is Moxie still kicking up her heels - like the Toon render !!!!

- A devilish little render pushing cute buttons as well.

Stezza - gone to the dogs, great work as usual !!!!!

- nice Groot render, like his friend.

HeadWax - like the middle render the most.

Shlomi - nice work. The Dragon appears to be not quite touching the ground, maybe adjust the height of the shadow catcher just a fraction. Also have you thought about adjusting the background picture so it is more Toon rather than photo ? A nice freebie is FotoSketcher  https://fotosketcher.com/

i was aiming for a painterly background like in;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085542/?ref_=nv_sr_2

like i said i am aiming for the look of the fire and ice movie.

it has paintely backgrounds on top of which is the cartoon action.

i might also do a line art background to try a new style.

in this render i mostly changed the shadows. 

cartoon dragon1 new.png
    3000 x 2250 - 5M
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited February 2018

Well here is anouther WIP I managed to get teh Infantry and tankers uniforms in and on Micheal 4 who they were made for.

I did not mess around with the shaders as it is being tooned anyway. I will display the setting later when it is done rendering again.

tank in wood lands toon III take 2 camera2 grey with infantry.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur - I like your Toon renders, maybe less art critic and more fun needed ?

Diomede - is Moxie still kicking up her heels - like the Toon render !!!!

- A devilish little render pushing cute buttons as well.

Stezza - gone to the dogs, great work as usual !!!!!

- nice Groot render, like his friend.

HeadWax - like the middle render the most.

Shlomi - nice work. The Dragon appears to be not quite touching the ground, maybe adjust the height of the shadow catcher just a fraction. Also have you thought about adjusting the background picture so it is more Toon rather than photo ? A nice freebie is FotoSketcher  https://fotosketcher.com/

i was aiming for a painterly background like in;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085542/?ref_=nv_sr_2

like i said i am aiming for the look of the fire and ice movie.

it has paintely backgrounds on top of which is the cartoon action.

i might also do a line art background to try a new style.

in this render i mostly changed the shadows. 

love the pose on the figure in this one

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/0b/897aa3900bb3c6b1eaeceb3bb2e929.png

Well here is anouther WIP I managed to get teh Infantry and tankers uniforms in and on Micheal 4 who they were made for.

I did not mess around with the shaders as it is being tooned anyway. I will display the setting later when it is done rendering again.

getting that nice illustrated look - I wonder if tiling the ground texture would reduce that pixelation ?

Bunyip02 said:

Just tried the GMIC - Contours - Edges Offset and got an interesting black and white render.

Took it into PaintShopPro and overlaid it using Multiply to get a result I am very happy with.

when magnified those swirls suggets indigenous art :) !

Stezza said:

here's one I did yesterday when I started on the birds smiley

I found a very low poly Wile E on the net and fixed it up as best I could boned him and retextured it.

Another classic from the Stezza Studio!

Stezza said:

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited February 2018

Bunyip, I forgot to add that the tree behind the alien tends to block the features of the raygun.  You probably don't care, as you are experimenting, but I like the render, and I think it would look better if you could move that tree. :)

Moved the trees, then I got this when I rendered :-

What the Freddy ?!!!!!

Must be a glich with the file saved having both Toon! & GMIC

Alien Outback 3.png
    2400 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited February 2018
    Vyusur said:

Bunyip, I forgot to add that the tree behind the alien tends to block the features of the raygun.  You probably don't care, as you are experimenting, but I like the render, and I think it would look better if you could move that tree. :)

I completely agree! The picture is great. But the bushes behind the alien decreases the visual impact.

Trees moved then I unloaded GMIC and did a Toon! render. Next I reloaded the GMIC cartoon filter and did another render. Followed that with another GMIC Contours Edges Offset which was post-worked combined with the cartoon render. Definately looks better, many thanks for the feedback !!!!!

Alien Outback 3 toon GMIC cartoon contours.png
    2400 x 1800 - 1M
    edited February 2018

Infantry & crew are a very nice touch to the scene.

Hope the Toon works for that pixelated terrain.

What about a Commando Comic cover ?

Screenshot-2018-2-15 King Tiger.png
    678 x 850 - 2M
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Just tried the GMIC - Contours - Edges Offset and got an interesting black and white render.

Took it into PaintShopPro and overlaid it using Multiply to get a result I am very happy with.

when magnified those swirls suggets indigenous art :) !

I was impressed by the GMIC filter combination, looks like a lot could be done with it !!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

@Bunyip02 I see what HW means when at full size... for sure.. yes

now if you added something like a sign........ to top it off.... just my warped thinking.... doin' great wink

great tank scene @chickenman ... 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

Moved the trees, then I got this when I rendered :-

What the Freddy ?!!!!!

Must be a glich with the file saved having both Toon! & GMIC

Yup, it's just a glich.  When it happened to me, I think that I just rendered again to get rid of it.  Or maybe I changed some small parameter.  I definitely didn't have to unload and reload.  The "double screen" also shows up in the preview window first.  Unfortunately the preview window doesn't work very well in G'MIC - yet!  Philemo has said that he will look at it when he has the time.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018

Wow, I am about 3 or 4 pages behind in new WIPs being added to the thread.  Apologize for not commenting, and yet soliciting comments for myself.   Here is an update on my Mad Magazine Spy v Spy project. Toon Part 3, no postwork.  Making sure that the joints bend and still working on having an outline color that will work for both the white spy and the black spy.  

I will try to catch up with the thread soon.

Spy v Spy 1 jpg.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 182K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Diomede, those are some awesome models.  Also, it looks like your outline issue is resolving nicely.

For me, the characters look a little too friendly.  Is that what you intend?  If so, ignore the following comment. 

In the magazine, the character's noses are longer and more angular, which makes them look more intense.  Plus, they have very dark eyes with furrowed brows, and an evil smile.

Easy for me to say. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

our little Carrara dog is certainly marking out his territory in a few renders lol

Stezza said:

@Bunyip02 I see what HW means when at full size... for sure.. yes

now if you added something like a sign........ to top it off.... just my warped thinking.... doin' great wink

great tank scene @chickenman ... 

Thanks Stezza

Was thinking of a Kangaroo road sign, will have a think on this one.

• so this is the line art background.

cartoon dragon1 line art.png
    3000 x 2250 - 6M

Diomede, those are some awesome models.  Also, it looks like your outline issue is resolving nicely.

For me, the characters look a little too friendly.  Is that what you intend?  If so, ignore the following comment. 

In the magazine, the character's noses are longer and more angular, which makes them look more intense.  Plus, they have very dark eyes with furrowed brows, and an evil smile.

Easy for me to say. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, UB.  I'm still undecided about how to handle the eyes. In some of the classic Spy v Spys, the eyes are replaced with sunglasses.  But some SvS cartoons don't.  So, one way to make it more sinister would be to add sunglasses with angled frames.  Unfortunately, then I lose the ability to rotate the eyeballs to suggest direction of gaze.  Regarding the sharpness of the snout, I can try different head morphs.  Some SvS cartoons also add jagged teeth to increase how sinister it feels.  I'll try some different things.

• so this is the line art background.

Nice!  The background now looks somewhat painterly (which you wanted) but matches the foreground characters better.

Are you doing this with no postwork?

edited February 2018

Motivation

Used 5 filters stacked - Toon 3 + 4 G'MIC.  With G'MIC, I mostly go for basic global adjustments, such as contrast, hue, saturation, etc., rather than the heavy special effects (although those are nice).  And sometimes, if a filter doesn't give you quite enough of what you want, you can simply add another instance of the filter.

This is a Category 1 render with no postwork.  The original Girl (mermaid version), Armourfish, and not much else.  Two distant lights (the other 2 in the setup pic are turned off), 1 bulb, and Gamma 2.0 is the lighting setup.

NPR Mermaid Carrara setup.PNG
    1656 x 1030 - 1M
    NPR Mermaid smaller.png
    1800 x 1040 - 1M
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Stezza said:

always very useful are Darts scenes.. it's a shame that the people who recently have purchased Carrara will miss out on these! angry

I've changed tack ... from modeling a dog or two to modeling a bird or two laugh

a test render to see how they look

note that these two models each started off as a circle in the model room.. starting at the neck and working up then down.

meep meep !!heart

Bunyip02 said:

Raw Carrara render

Postwork Topaz Simplify

Shrooms!!smiley

does it have to be the toon iii filter?

Bunyip02 said:

Roo!heart

Vyusur said:

"Heroes fail too."

YaToon + ToonPro. No postwork.

Ultraman?

he izz a guilty pleasure.  watched the original japanese version.

trying to remember what show had jonny sokko

edited February 2018

Motivation

Used 5 filters stacked - Toon 3 + 4 G'MIC.  With G'MIC, I mostly go for basic global adjustments, such as contrast, hue, saturation, etc., rather than the heavy special effects (although those are nice).  And sometimes, if a filter doesn't give you quite enough of what you want, you can simply add another instance of the filter.

This is a Category 1 render with no postwork.  The original Girl (mermaid version), Armourfish, and not much else.  Two distant lights (the other 2 in the setup pic are turned off), 1 bulb, and Gamma 2.0 is the lighting setup.

Doh!  I failed to read and fully understand the directions.  Yes, you clearly stated that we can stack GMIC filters in addition to the native Toon3 for category 1.  My mistake.  Will add this info to my list of things to consider for revisions.  Thanks for posting.

edited February 2018

It's not just the G'MIC filters.  You can use any Carrara-usable  filters you want in Category 1, as long as you can make them work with the Toon 3 filter (which needs to be the primary filter used).

I would have made G'MIC a requirement as well, but it is not available for Mac users yet.

edited February 2018

Has anyone done tests with how the post effect render pass treats stacked post effect filters?  My initial test generated a separate render pass for each post effect, which was one for toon3 and one for the GMIC filter I used.

EDIT:  note - I realize I can't do postwork in category 1.  

screencap 1 single post effect render pass.JPG
    1484 x 760 - 84K
    alien tests 1.png
    640 x 480 - 58K
    alien tests 1_PostEffect0.png
    640 x 480 - 39K
    alien tests 1_PostEffect1.png
    640 x 480 - 47K
  • Diomede, I haven't done any work in that area.  Looks very promising!

Diomede said:

Has anyone done tests with how the post effect render pass treats stacked post effect filters?  My initial test generated a separate render pass for each post effect, which was one for toon3 and one for the GMIC filter I used.

EDIT:  note - I realize I can't do postwork in category 1.  

nice find though

Motivation

another amazing effect straight out of Carrara!