Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Stezza, thanks a lot for your exquisite comment! My kitchen is CG stuff. The real kitchen I left for my hubby. I cook only a few dishes. Coffee is my favorite one.

Stezza said:

Lovely cuties!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    Vyusur said:
    Stezza said:

Lovely cuties!

Beep Beep yesyes

edited February 2018

Stezza's got me thinking about another render set-up, meanwhile here is a fantasy setup "Giddy Up"

Caterpillar carrara 1.png
    2268 x 1037 - 728K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited February 2018

Raw Carrara render

Postwork Topaz Simplify

• Been playing around a bit with a non portrait type image. Just playing at this point.

The first one is just as the render is ending before the toon III filter is applied.

Dart may recognize his woodland set and Polish's german ww2 tank.

and all tooned out.

Great scene!  Also great to see you here trying out the NPR and toon techniques.

To my eyes, the outlines look a little heavy for the complexity of the scene.  When the scene is filled with a lot of stuff, it sometimes enhances the NPR effect to make the lines more delicate, as Varsel did here.

• head wax said:

okay okay, so you didn't like the fat men

here's some poser  robots - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

I think the caption is ":Is it a bird, a plane... no it's it's Stezza's dog!"

Wonderful on so many levels.  Toonpro or Toon 3?

Also, some very nice looking sketchy overlines (not sure what to call them).  Did you do a pass in the NPR engine as well, or is this another effect available in ToonPro?

• Just a quick note - you folks are creating some impressive images.  We are likely seeing more images posted in a Challenge - at this stage of the Challenge - than ever before.

By all means, please keep posting!  But please consider posting an occasional image that also fits a category in the Challenge. smiley

A brief recap:

Category 1 - the image is primarily driven by the Toon 3 filter (other filters can be used, but Toon 3 is primary) with no postwork.  Any subject is acceptable within TOS.  Doesn't have to be a cartoon.

Category 2 - do an homage to a classic single frame cartoon, or do an original single frame cartoon (usually with a humorous or clever caption).  All styles, PR and NPR, accepted.  Postwork is fine.

Category 3 - use Stezza's dog in a render.  Any style good.  Postwork fine.

You can enter up to three images, and if you do, one of the three must be Category 1.

Been playing around a bit with a non portrait type image. Just playing at this point.

The first one is just as the render is ending before the toon III filter is applied.

and all tooned out.

Very nice - needs a few Panzer Grenadiers !!!!!

edited February 2018

One for Stezza - "Take me to your leader !!!"

Carrara setup

Toon! part III render

Alien Outback 1.png
    2265 x 1044 - 855K
    Alien Outback 2 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Bunyip02 said:

Carrara setup

Toon! part III render

that's terrific Bunyip02 - catches the harshness of the oz desert beaudifully! amazing that it's straight out of Carrara!

edited February 2018
    head wax said:

here's some poser  robots - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

Wonderful on so many levels.  Toonpro or Toon 3?

Also, some very nice looking sketchy overlines (not sure what to call them).  Did you do a pass in the NPR engine as well, or is this another effect available in ToonPro?

thank you sorry, I get congfused it's Toon!Pro. (But now I see that one uses Pro and the other uses Part in their nomenclature)

it gives you a choice of overdraw - that's what you call those sketchy overlines.

you can also render lines on 'edges sharper than''

one trick is to render out with different degrees of overdraw - then combine your renders and eliminate what you dont want

for example _ was getting too many lines in the chest with one setting

for the shadows I did two renders - one with a single distant light, another with two distant lights at half strength

that gave me a bit of meat to play with (I rendered out shadows passes)

the last way of adding a bit of dimensionality was to combine it all with an occlusion pass

I did use a litte Toon!Part111 for a colour pass but didnt end up using colour - though I thought I would do a colour pass and translate it to b and w but it wasn needed

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2018

Combining Toon! with GMIC

Alien Outback 2 gmic 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Carrara setup

Toon! part III render

that's terrific Bunyip02 - catches the harshness of the oz desert beaudifully! amazing that it's straight out of Carrara!

Thanks HeadWax

Stezza said:

always very useful are Darts scenes.. it's a shame that the people who recently have purchased Carrara will miss out on these! angry

I've changed tack ... from modeling a dog or two to modeling a bird or two laugh

a test render to see how they look

note that these two models each started off as a circle in the model room.. starting at the neck and working up then down.

Stezza, you are rapidly becoming a master.

Clueless.

Went for the trifecta, so this qualifies in all three categories.  Done entirely in Carrara, driven by the Toon 3 filter.  No postwork.

thats very amazing, very hard to beleive it was done in carrara ! congrats!

Vyusur said:
    head wax said:

Andrew, very stylish illustration!

thank you Veronica :) and @Bunyip02 et @Stezza

Vyusur said:

"Heroes fail too."

YaToon + ToonPro. No postwork.

Love that devil - waiting for the angel now :) Watched a video of Maya Plisetskaya dance Bolero the other night. Classic - now there's a devil

Been playing around a bit with a non portrait type image. Just playing at this point.

and all tooned out.

the trees are looking dark and stormy :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

awesome @Bunyip02 

gotta watch out if you visit the NT!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited February 2018

here's one I did yesterday when I started on the birds smiley

I found a very low poly Wile E on the net and fixed it up as best I could boned him and retextured it.

Render a Toon.jpg
    900 x 675 - 528K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    Stezza said:
    @UnifiedBrain hope you enjoyed looking at some of Gary Clark's Ding cartoons.. part of my growing up and love them along with Footrot Flats by Murray Ball.

OK, thanks for writing that.  The other shoe finally dropped.  Only now do I realize that Footrot was a beloved Oz cartoon.  I thought that you had made it up!

Stezza said:
    You are now really thinking outside the kennel .. very well done toon with great use of the torus ;-)

Aha, the eagle eye of Stezza!  Actually, I only used a torus 3 times.  Most of the lines were made from text.

Stezza said:

I've changed tack ... from modeling a dog or two to modeling a bird or two laugh

a test render to see how they look

note that these two models each started off as a circle in the model room.. starting at the neck and working up then down.

Terrific modeling.  One difference between us is that you actually model 3D figures, while mine are still basically splats. :)

Wonderful watercolor effect.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Stezza said:

here's one I did yesterday when I started on the birds smiley

I found a very low poly Wile E on the net and fixed it up as best I could boned him and retextured it.

HAHAHA!

Stezza said:

awesome @Bunyip02 

gotta watch out if you visit the NT!

Thanks Stezza.

Great work with Will E and the Road Runner !!!!

edited February 2018

Still playing with Toon! and GMIC. Tried the Artistic Cartoon filter and spun the dials a bit.

Alien Outback 2 gmic cartoon 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Alien Outback 2 gmic cartoon settings.png
    1923 x 1037 - 597K
    edited February 2018

Just tried the GMIC - Contours - Edges Offset and got an interesting black and white render.

Took it into PaintShopPro and overlaid it using Multiply to get a result I am very happy with.

Alien Outback 2 gmic cartoon-contouredges.png
    2400 x 1800 - 1M
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Thanks UB and Bunyip02,

I have now had time to play with the quick image I posted above. when I changed the paint scheme of the tank to either the desert brown or the standard grey and not use the camoflage which is to dark.

Here are the other paint schemes. I just need to get the German infantry uniforms to load properly in Carrara, they were made for Poser by Tannembaum over at Rendo.

Here is the desert brown with 2 different angles.

tank in wood lands toon III take 2 camera 1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    tank in wood lands toon III take 2 camera2.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited February 2018

Thanks UB and Bunyip02,

I have now had time to play with the quick image I posted above. when I changed the paint scheme of the tank to either the desert brown or the standard grey and not use the camoflage which is to dark.

Here are the other paint schemes. I just need to get the German infantry uniforms to load properly in Carrara, they were made for Poser by Tannembaum over at Rendo.

Here is the desert brown with 2 different angles.

and the two grey versions

now to play with the genadiers and panzer crew members.

tank in wood lands toon III take 2 camera1 grey.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    tank in wood lands toon III take 2 camera2 grey.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • Excellent changes, Chickenman!  Impressive renders.  Is this all done with Toon 3?

I especially like the one below - except there seems to be a big branch stuck in the treads. :)

Those Tannembaum uniforms look terrific.  Hope they work OK in Carrara.  I almost bought them for the first Challenge I entered, but ended up kitbashing a Nazi uniform instead.

• Bunyip02 said:

Still playing with Toon! and GMIC. Tried the Artistic Cartoon filter and spun the dials a bit.

Really happy to see this!  Awesome results.  I wonder if most artists here are even aware that Toon3 can be used in combination with all the G'MIC filters (and other filters).

And further, that all the filters are stackable!  I've used as many as 6 filters in a stack as an experiment.  Doing this gives you an incredible variety of results.  Unfortunately, the preview window does not give you the results of the stacked filters in combination, so you really need to do a bunch of renders to get an understanding of how each filter adds - or subtracts - from the final effect.

Early experiments have revealed that the filter listed at the top is the first filter effect rendered, and the one on the bottom is the last.  So, if you are using two filters, and you reverse the order, you will get a very different effect.

And further, if you use Toon 3 at the bottom of the stack, it will constrain all the other filters above it, and force them into more of a Toon 3 look.

G'MIC adds much more functionality to Carrara than most artists imagine, I think.  At this point, I'm not doing much postwork.  A lot of the most basic postwork I used to do can now be done inside Carrara.

• Bunyip, I forgot to add that the tree behind the alien tends to block the features of the raygun.  You probably don't care, as you are experimenting, but I like the render, and I think it would look better if you could move that tree. :)

Bunyip, I forgot to add that the tree behind the alien tends to block the features of the raygun.  You probably don't care, as you are experimenting, but I like the render, and I think it would look better if you could move that tree. :)

I completely agree! The picture is great. But the bushes behind the alien decreases the visual impact.