February 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Tynkere said:

OK, so hopefully this will help explain where I was going with this idea before I got called out on the hashtag thing.  blush

In hindsight, that probably wasn’t a good idea.  (Rule #15 I think)

Sorry.  Didn’t occur to me, but can see how that would be major turn-off.  Will not happen again.

Anyway, her face & eyes (along with thug’s shadow) all hopefully point to the sign that would have a topical reference.

Suggestions?  It probably needs something on her left to balance out the sign if that makes any sense.  If everyone still wants her head facing camera a bit more, can do one to compare.

Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

===
    Change log so far:

Remove book/sign before I get in trouble...

Move actress forward & set DoF (thanks to KnittingMommy)

Tilt thug on -X axis to make his shadow taller & skew

Pose thug’s torso so shadow is also curving right.

Add place holder so people can get an idea of what tribute movie poster might look like

===

PS:

Looks like others have been busy too!  Will be back to check out everyones renders, but dishwasher isn’t working so have play appliance repairman.  Fun fun... ; ) 

I like the changes, but one thing is puzzling me. How does the thug's shadow appear to the left and right behind her but not across most of her body? I can't picture how you have your light(s) positioned..

I think she needs a much more frightened or more startled expression. As far as needing something on the viewer's left, how about shifting your camera to take the action out of the center of the image and push everything left. Take a look at the Composition month's tips for suggestions. Display the Daz Studio Thirds Grid in the viewport for some helpful guidance.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 645
    Tynkere said:

OK, so hopefully this will help explain where I was going with this idea before I got called out on the hashtag thing.  blush

Sorry.  Didn’t occur to me, but can see how that would be major turn-off.  Will not happen again.

Anyway, her face & eyes (along with thug’s shadow) all hopefully point to the sign that would have a topical reference.

Suggestions?  It probably needs something on her left to balance out the sign if that makes any sense.  If everyone still wants her head facing camera a bit more, can do one to compare.

Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

===
    Change log so far:

Add place holder so people can get an idea of what tribute movie poster might look like

===

PS:

Looks like others have been busy too!  Will be back to check out everyones renders, but dishwasher isn’t working so have play appliance repairman.  Fun fun... ; ) 

Yeah, now she and the shadow works much better together. Maybe she should look a little more scared and use the book as cover against the attacker, but I like how the shadow now cover her, so that her face ist still in the light.

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    Tynkere said:

Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

===
    Change log so far:

===

PS:

Pfft - there's nothing wrong with slipping a message into art - isn't that why artists are seen as dangerous to the state (or used as propaganda tools?)

I also completely forgot to mention how much I liked your NAE Valentine's day render. It's lovely and endearing.

edited February 2018

All right - take two on my Star Dancer. The seams are much less obvious in this, since the pattern doesn't rely on precise matching across seams. I also dialed up the brightness a little on the emissive skin surface, and played a little with the bump map.

bright starry dancer.jpg
    1363 x 1363 - 2M
    Post edited by Chameo on

@Chameo, you can change the horizontal and vertical tiling on the face and lips to bring the texture scale more in line with the rest of the body, if you want to. Use a smaller tiling value.

• sueyasueya Posts: 825

Josie in the cafe v 3

I have altered the aspect ratio and moved the camera as suggested. I also repositioned the light above the girl to make her face more visible.

sueya said:

Josie in the cafe v 3

I have altered the aspect ratio and moved the camera as suggested. I also repositioned the light above the girl to make her face more visible.

@sueya, it looks nice! The shadows are even better. Good work.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832
    edited December 2018

As if anyone cares, but our dishwasher (bought in 1998) had about an inch of solidified fatty gunk inside the door and waterways.  I don’t want to know what my cholesterol probably is.  $5.99 for something that has 2% lye in it did nothing.  Chemical supply store and buy the granules.  That’s almost 100% and a PH of 10+ I think.  Had to show my ID and they wanted to know what I was going to use it for, but hey.  Not a chemical you want to play around with.  Long & short: cleaned out parts couldn’t get at with a putty knife after disassembling it.  Works fine now & didn’t burn myself!  Always wear goggles & gloves.  ; )

To topic:

@ Barbult

Screenshot of scene setup if helps.

In the previous image, some post work in Photoshop.  If anyone interested in details, I can explain.  It’s not hard or anything.  Probably same for Gimp-- just different names for some of the filters like “unsharp mask” etc.

Revision at bottom panned right as suggested.  Popped in a fake utility box (actually a storage container with tubing from a ‘modern glass table.)  When you’re short on funds, you have to improvise!  Anyway, hopefully it looks realistic, fills in the space, and doesn’t look placed.

@ Chameo

Hee!  Well I agree with you about message in art sometimes & really wanted to press past just lighting a scene for this month.  OTOH, hashtag made me think, “uh oh...  hope that doesn't miff anyone...” So I looked up “Guidelines” in “The Commons.”   They probably meant #15 as blatant trolling, but better safe than sorry unless I hear otherwise.   Kind of late now.  Kismet probably would've said something at the get go.  Who knows...    ; )

Star Dancer render:

Woooo!   Me likes.  Who says IRay can’t do “NPR” ?  So you made a star texture in place of the skin?  How did you get the blue border at bottom?  Two different planes?

All it needs is a backdrop with Saturn or the planets or something.  Or maybe you have something even better in mind.  ; )

@ Sueya

Cool.  Your join date has me a little shy though.  You’ve probably seen people come & go here.  I’d be a big joke pointing out stuff or making suggestions right?  I have a couple of thoughts, but I’ve only been here since October of last year.  Not going to play “Mr. Expert” or anything unless you give go ahead.  Hope that makes sense.   It’s a sign of respect.

@ Daybird

Saved you for last because owe you big time!

Might need some explanation tho.  

This started as a tribute to a movie from the 30s.  I mailed the concept art to some friends who wear pink stocking hats, and go to things like rallies at our nation’s capital.  

Original idea had the woman with her hands up screaming in terror.  That looked goofy and didn’t go over well with some of my on-line “sisters.”   Some would probably use the book and whop the guy upside the head with it!

So your suggestion gave me an idea.  If some women don’t consider themselves wilting lilies, why not make her look defiant?

Now the actress is facing the viewer (and assailant) and is having none of it!  “Back off or I’ll teach you a thing or two about books!  Hard cover books!”

So what does everyone think?   

Better this way?  (If so might need to reposition her hands so it looks like she can use book in self defense, not just showing it.)

Suggestions always welcome!  Only way I’m going to get better at it!  : )

--Bruce

PS:  Hopfeully I haven't left anyone out.

PSS:  Anyone speak German?  Would like to give movie poster a title in German but don't want it to sound stupid in that language.

---
    Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM missing links.

Post edited by Tynkere on
    Tynkere said:

PSS:  Anyone speak German?  Would like to give movie poster a title in German but don't want it to sound stupid in that language.

Ask Linwelly, or the internet.wink

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    barbult said:
    Tynkere said:

I would trust Linwelly over the internet.  laugh

barbult said:
    Tynkere said:

I would trust Linwelly over the internet.  laugh

yes

• Not sure about this one...

perhaps moonlight

killed.jpg
    995 x 881 - 745K
    edited February 2018
    Tynkere said:

As if anyone cares, but our dishwasher (bought in 1998) had about an inch of solidified fatty gunk inside the door and waterways.  I don’t want to know what my cholesterol probably is.  $5.99 for something that has 2% lye in it did nothing.  Chemical supply store and buy the granules.  That’s almost 100% and a PH of 10+ I think.  Had to show my ID and they wanted to know what I was going to use it for, but hey.  Not a chemical you want to play around with.  Long & short: cleaned out parts couldn’t get at with a putty knife after disassembling it.  Works fine now & didn’t burn myself!  Always wear goggles & gloves.  ; )

To topic:

@ Barbult

In the previous image, some post work in Photoshop.  If anyone interested in details, I can explain.  It’s not hard or anything.  Probably same for Gimp-- just different names for some of the filters like “unsharp mask” etc.

Revision at bottom panned right as suggested.  Popped in a fake utility box (actually a storage container with tubing from a ‘modern glass table.)  When you’re short on funds, you have to improvise!  Anyway, hopefully it looks realistic, fills in the space, and doesn’t look placed.

@ Chameo

Hee!  Well I agree with you about message in art sometimes & really wanted to press past just lighting a scene for this month.  OTOH, hashtag made me think, “uh oh...  hope that doesn't miff anyone...” So I looked up “Guidelines” in “The Commons.”   They probably meant #15 as blatant trolling, but better safe than sorry unless I hear otherwise.   Kind of late now.  Kismet probably would've said something at the get go.  Who knows...    ; )

Star Dancer render:

Woooo!   Me likes.  Who says IRay can’t do “NPR” ?  So you made a star texture in place of the skin?  How did you get the blue border at bottom?  Two different planes?

All it needs is a backdrop with Saturn or the planets or something.  Or maybe you have something even better in mind.  ; )

@ Sueya

Cool.  Your join date has me a little shy though.  You’ve probably seen people come & go here.  I’d be a big joke pointing out stuff or making suggestions right?  I have a couple of thoughts, but I’ve only been here since October of last year.  Not going to play “Mr. Expert” or anything unless you give go ahead.  Hope that makes sense.   It’s a sign of respect.

@ Daybird

This started as a tribute to a movie from the 30s.  I mailed the concept art to some friends who wear pink stocking hats, and go to things like rallies at our nation’s capital.  

Original idea had the woman with her hands up screaming in terror.  That looked goofy and didn’t go over well with some of my on-line “sisters.”   Some would probably use the book and whop the guy upside the head with it!

So your suggestion gave me an idea.  If some women don’t consider themselves wilting lilies, why not make her look defiant?

Now the actress is facing the viewer (and assailant) and is having none of it!  “Back off or I’ll teach you a thing or two about books!  Hard cover books!”

Better this way?  (If so might need to reposition her hands so it looks like she can use book in self defense, not just showing it.)

--Bruce

I'm German too, but don't ask me about a good title. As I saw her face a silly and total politically incorrect idea popped up in my head.

Immediately I saw Trump in her place and his slogan "Make America great again!" and the shadow was from uncle sam.

Than, even the goofy mimic you talked about, would make sense...cheeky

Ok, that was maybe a little over a line I should not cross.wink

Post edited by daybird on
  • Here's version d of my campfire scene. Made a change to the exposure value, lowering it from 13 to 11.75, and added some smoke coming from the fire.

feb2018d.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

@Tynkere I could help with the German (I'm sure daybird could as well, but he's shy you know :D)

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    Im also german. So just ask.;)
    Gallows said:

Not sure about this one...

perhaps moonlight

It does need some shadows of some kind.  Moonlight (or perhaps twilight if Moonlight makes it a little too dark) could add that feeling of something sinister happening.

There is some slight poke through with the toes of her right foot with the ground.  A slight adjustment to the bend of the foot should fix that.

Here's version d of my campfire scene. Made a change to the exposure value, lowering it from 13 to 11.75, and added some smoke coming from the fire.

Smoke for the fire.  blush  I kept looking at the fire thinking something was missing and totally missed the obvious.

Something else that bothers me is why is the ground so shiney.  It has the look of ice to me.  Since it is winter here I am seeing a lot of ice.

This is really coming along nicely Shinji.  I am glad you decided to keep working on this image.

Tynkere said:

To topic:

@ Barbult

@ Chameo

Star Dancer render:

@ Sueya

@ Daybird

--Bruce

That facial expression makes a WORLD of difference -fierce and determined, not angry and panicked. It totally says "come at me, bruh!" I might lift the book a little rather than changing her grip on it, as if she's using it as a shield to ward off the blow?

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited February 2018

Some nice entires on here so far :-)

Here's a bit of me playing around with a light emitting sphere, some mirrors, opacity settings, random shaders, and seeing what happens.

Also the most objects I've ever put in a scene at 153 objects! Though they're all primitive objects so that's not as bad as it sounds except for getting them all in place angel

Light-Cube

Light-Cube.jpg
    800 x 800 - 74K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the suggestion on the tiling for the face, Barbult - I had thought about doing that originally, but kinda liked the the "freckled" look. I did try it - and changed the offset and tiling on the arms and legs, and like it much better. It also inspired me to play with the tiling offsets on a couple of the spheres, leading to the gorgeous pink swirly effect on the upper right sphere. Something in the scene is causing DAZ to crash at about 67% every. single. time. The error log suggests that it's probably the architectural shader I used on one of the spheres (I think) when I was playing with shaders, but I can't seem to find it now. I'll probably poke around at it later and do some more troubleshooting but for now, this is where I'm at.

Also, since Tynkere asked about the blue "border" - it's done with light. Taking my cue from Bruce, here's the setup for the scene from two different angles:

There are two planes set at 90 degree angles to create a floor and wall, and each has a different texture. The floor is more reflective, the wall is more absorbent. The various lights are positioned and aimed to catch parts of the hair, the spheres, and the curves/angles of the dancing figure. The two distant lights, hidden behind the wall, add ambient lighting and a wash of color. The purple light, positioned in front of and above the dancer, was washing out the blue entirely, so I added a cutout plane as a blocker between the purple light and the scene. The purple light falls where I want it, leaving the blue light to create the sharp blue edge along the bottom.

universes in me.jpg
    1363 x 1363 - 2M
    2018-02-14_08h48_30.png
    944 x 841 - 436K
    2018-02-14_09h19_10.png
    955 x 797 - 182K
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

Played a littlebit with planes and emissive shader presets.

I replaced the plane in the background with a round edged backdrop and made it emissive itself.

After droping the luminesence to 45'000 lumen, I also got the shadow appearing. XD

Feb2018.jpg
    444 x 720 - 171K
    Chameo said:

Thanks for the suggestion on the tiling for the face, Barbult - I had thought about doing that originally, but kinda liked the the "freckled" look. I did try it - and changed the offset and tiling on the arms and legs, and like it much better. It also inspired me to play with the tiling offsets on a couple of the spheres, leading to the gorgeous pink swirly effect on the upper right sphere. Something in the scene is causing DAZ to crash at about 67% every. single. time. The error log suggests that it's probably the architectural shader I used on one of the spheres (I think) when I was playing with shaders, but I can't seem to find it now. I'll probably poke around at it later and do some more troubleshooting but for now, this is where I'm at.

Also, since Tynkere asked about the blue "border" - it's done with light. Taking my cue from Bruce, here's the setup for the scene from two different angles:

There are two planes set at 90 degree angles to create a floor and wall, and each has a different texture. The floor is more reflective, the wall is more absorbent. The various lights are positioned and aimed to catch parts of the hair, the spheres, and the curves/angles of the dancing figure. The two distant lights, hidden behind the wall, add ambient lighting and a wash of color. The purple light, positioned in front of and above the dancer, was washing out the blue entirely, so I added a cutout plane as a blocker between the purple light and the scene. The purple light falls where I want it, leaving the blue light to create the sharp blue edge along the bottom.

The cutout plane as blocker is a interesting thing. I never thought about such a thing, to lead the light where I want it. So still have learnt a new thing.

Thank you Chameo for this nice explanation.

Here's version d of my campfire scene. Made a change to the exposure value, lowering it from 13 to 11.75, and added some smoke coming from the fire.

Oh, I so meant to comment on this. The EV change makes so much difference! It's still obviously night, but I can SEE the details now. I really like this!

Gallows said:

Not sure about this one...

perhaps moonlight

Shadows, yes - but I really love the pose and story here. Beautiful render!

Noswen said:

Some nice entires on here so far :-)

Here's a bit of me playing around with a light emitting sphere, some mirrors, opacity settings, random shaders, and seeing what happens.

Also the most objects I've ever put in a scene at 153 objects! Though they're all primitive objects so that's not as bad as it sounds except for getting them all in place angel

Light-Cube

Nice! I'm happy to see someone else experimenting with light and primitives! I struggle with getting 8 or 10 objects in the right place. I can't imagine trying to do it with 150+!!

HighElf said:

Played a littlebit with planes and emissive shader presets.

I replaced the plane in the background with a round edged backdrop and made it emissive itself.

After droping the luminesence to 45'000 lumen, I also got the shadow appearing. XD

Ah, the shadow grounds the figure now and it feels less disconcerting. (For what it's worth, I think a floating figure would have worked well in some circumstances - like as part of a poster with some lettering to define and anchor space, if that makes sense?)

That EV change made a world of difference! I can see the scene much better now. I was wondering about the glowing red eyes on the guy on the viewer's left. Is there a story there that I missed, or is it djust a reflection that is distracting me?

daybird said:
    Chameo said:

The cutout plane as blocker is a interesting thing. I never thought about such a thing, to lead the light where I want it. So still have learnt a new thing.

Thank you Chameo for this nice explanation.

I wasn't sure if it would work, but thought it was worth trying. At some camera angles, you can see the sharp corners of shape on the ground. The shape is just a fluke, by the way. I'm clumsy when selecting polygons in the geometry editor laugh. I'm very tempted now to play with the cutout shape to make it more wavy and less straight-edged, like water lapping on the shore.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832
    edited February 2018

Been busy.  That seems to be an opening sentence lately which is good!  I’ll try to catch up.

@ Gallows

Posing has improved?  Granted from last month, not much posing for Mom & son with beach volley ball.

Where did you get a zebra?  Anyway, moonlight makes sense if zebras have to be nocturnal because predators are.  Render already seems to be telling a story.  It's wounded & she is helping it?

Plenty of members here to help with night scenes.  I’d be interested because only just now learning some of the settings on the render tab that have to do with ‘dome’ settings.

Nice start & best wishes!

@ Shinji

Smoke adds to it and EV really helps on my monitor at least.  To find the saw, I had to save to tablet & max out display settings.  Now can see the details.  Gather he’s whittling or has a knife or something.  

Not meant as a critique or anything, just curious.  He reminds me of a friend I had in college who was blind.  So the goggles are futuristic vision aide, or one of them has to be on the lookout?  Sort of a post apocalyptic thing?  

@ Noswen

That’s a cool idea.  Good to see someone doing abstracts.  I was messing around with the camera at Linwelly’s suggestion and got some interesting abstract shapes, but not cubes!  That’s a lot of work putting all of those planes together like that.  Triangle, circle... all kinds of interesting shapes-- like a trip to the art museum.  : )

@ Chameo

So 4 planes for one gobo and 6 six for the other?  I’ve learned a lot from everyone else.  Thanks for showing your setup.  Could never distant lights to work.  Will have to see if you can look through them like the camera.  Didn’t know you could do that until this month’s challenge.  While I’d been looking forward to ‘Light Challenge’ for a long time-- it’s turned out even better than I hoped!

@ Daybird, Kismet, and High Elf

Thanks!  I don’t trust google, so here is what I’d like bottom of movie poster to say.

“Out of the Shadows”  (as in emerging from)  I get mixed up with dem, den, and possibly von.  “out of the”

“a Film by”

Next is tricky because the concept itself might not translate.

“A human being.”  or maybe “Humanity.”  Difficult concept.  We’re all human of course, but do we act like humans, or like savages?  Maybe the opposite of a savage, a civilized person.  

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.  Keine Practice!

Post edited by Tynkere on