Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018

moved the texture map from a plane to the backdrop.

added a plane with a shadow cathcer.

A very distinctive and neat effect, Shlomi.  However, I tend to agree with Bunyip.  The characters appear as finely detailed line art, while the background and base terrain looks more like a blurred photo-real image.

Maybe the painted idea will work with the right filter.  Have you experimented with making the background as line art as well?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018

Well, Moxie is having a few relationship problems.  The scientist that I modeled seems to have messed up priorities.

Here is a tribute to Dan DeCarlo.  You might remember DeCarlo for anything from The Archies to Josie and the Pussycats.  He also did one panel cartoon jokes.  Here is a variation on one.  Toon 3 straight render using settngs similar to the ones recommended by UB.  This is close to an entry (meaning I am sick of fussing with it), except that I should render again without highlights or shine to see what it looks like.  I am not sure which category, and I reserve the right to change my mind.

DeCarlo original

Tribute using Toon Part III render filter. no postwork.

EDIT: Here is a revised version. 

I like this better.  Moxie's look of disgust is more clear because I bent her head forward a little.  Few other adjustments.

973dc1bd75669296026c5ce9b5c0c33b--vintage-cartoons-funny-cartoons.jpg
    712 x 1024 - 141K
    Toon watch tv resized 1500 by 2000.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 829K
    Toon watch b tv resized 1500 by 2000.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 683K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

The Hair Do

yes... I modeled yet another dog!

Wow, you are developing quite a toon kennel. :)

Stezza said:

In Australia Learner Drivers have to display an   plate on the vehicle when driving... 

Ahh, now it is clear, thanks.

Another Gary Clark cartoon:

Gary Clark cartoon clouds.jpg
    700 x 219 - 144K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2018

Not sure if this counts for the "outline"category.

This is a freebie set I am working on, rendered in Carrara with the following scene filters applied:

• Toon! Part III
    • Glare
    • 3D Aura
    • Gmic: Light and Shadows: Light Glow

No post-work,just straight out of Carrara.

ImbolcAltar.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 92K
    SceneSetup001.JPG
    1862 x 910 - 223K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited February 2018
    Diomede said:

Well, Moxie is having a few relationship problems.  The scientist that I modeled seems to have messed up priorities.

Here is a tribute to Dan DeCarlo.  You might remember DeCarlo for anything from The Archies to Josie and the Pussycats.  He also did one panel cartoon jokes.  Here is a variation on one.  Toon 3 straight render using settngs similar to the ones recommended by UB.  This is close to an entry (meaning I am sick of fussing with it), except that I should render again without highlights or shine to see what it looks like.  I am not sure which category, and I reserve the right to change my mind.

It's a cool cartoon.  And one of the things about this Challenge is that you can enter a render which qualifies for all three categories (I'll post one later today).  So, yes you can choose which category to enter it in up to the very last minute.

I really like the render.  The main difference between your render and the original, is that in the original, the couple are obviously dressed to go out on the town, and her outfit is particulary seductive (dress straps down her shoulders, cleveage).  This makes the cartoon message more obvious, in my opinion.

Diomede said:

DeCarlo original

Tribute using Toon Part III render filter. no postwork.

• MDO2010 said:

This is a freebie set I am working on, rendered in Carrara with the following scene filters applied:

• Toon! Part III
    • Glare
    • 3D Aura

Very nice!  Yes, this definitely counts in category 1. yes  Category 1 renders do not need to have toon figures.  I hope that we see more Toon 3 renders of objects, landscapes, diagrams, etc.  The possibilities are endless when Toon 3 is combined with other filters.

edited February 2018
    head wax said:

here's a homage to a  cartoon I once saw in Playboy circa 1981 - the graphic was very different but the sentiments the same - the men had their back to us , their hand in pockets I think, the heaven sign was seen from the back, mounted above a gate.

HW, always great to see what you come up with.  Looking at it works my brain in interesting ways.

BTW - the "guy" on the right looks pretty feminine to me, at least in the face. :)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I thought it was pregnant woman on the right.blush

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

same here.... suffering from a bit of poke through lol

so many postings!!!!

Vyusur said:

edited February 2018

Clueless.

Went for the trifecta, so this qualifies in all three categories.  Done entirely in Carrara, driven by the Toon 3 filter.  No postwork.

Snoopy and Odie Clueless Carrara setup1.png
    1100 x 553 - 341K
    Snoopy and Odie Clueless 1.png
    1800 x 1040 - 391K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    Vyusur said:

I have heard women referring to blokes that have beer-guts as being pregnant.

edited February 2018

moved the texture map from a plane to the backdrop.

added a plane with a shadow cathcer.

A very distinctive and neat effect, Shlomi.  However, I tend to agree with Bunyip.  The characters appear as finely detailed line art, while the background and base terrain looks more like a blurred photo-real image.

Maybe the painted idea will work with the right filter.  Have you experimented with making the background as line art as well?

Shlomi

FotoSketcher has a range of filters, from Pencil sketch effects, Pen and Ink Sketch, Painting (watercolour, oil, brushstrokes), Stylized (Pixelation, Cartoon, Halftoning, Abstract), Miscellaneous (Photo - Vivify or Vintage), No Effect with frame, texture, and text. Well worth checking out, and being free it's a bargain !!!!

PhotoDonut has a free version with a nice selection of free filters as well. (It's 64 bit only) http://photodonut.com/free-download

Paint.net also has Artistic filters in the Effects tab, Oil painting and Pencil Sketch give good results. https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EffectsArtisticMenu.html

An interesting on-line converter is https://www.tuxpi.com/

Another online editor with lots of options is https://www169.lunapic.com/editor/

There is also the free GMIC filter plugin by Philemo which has some great Artistic filters. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2929156/#Comment_2929156

And if you have the budget and the need for them, there are some very good payware alternatives available.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Clueless.

Went for the trifecta, so this qualifies in all three categories.  Done entirely in Carrara, driven by the Toon 3 filter.  No postwork.

Great result UB !!!

Diomede - looks like Moxie is missing out on some needed attention, very nice render.

MDO2010 - excellent !!!!

Bunyip02 said:
    Vyusur said:

I have heard women referring to blokes that have beer-guts as being pregnant.

Right!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the comments.  

Forgot to post the Carrara scene setup so here it is.  Will also take the opportunity to post the Carrara NPR render with just outline checked at width 80%.  Don't like it.

DeCarlo NPR Outline.jpg
    3000 x 4000 - 717K
    rr01 screenshot decarlo tribute.JPG
    1866 x 1024 - 221K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments.  

Forgot to post the Carrara scene setup so here it is.  Will also take the opportunity to post the Carrara NPR render with just outline checked at width 80%.  Don't like it.

diomede, that's a classic scene :)

Clueless.

wow that's terrific - I thought it was the real thing!

@UB and @Stezza and @Veronica - we have equal marriage laws for gay people now - so I think you'll see this more often :) 

yes I have been busted for laziness :) 

MDO2010 said:

• Toon! Part III
    • Glare
    • 3D Aura

flowers look particularly toonified :)

MDO2010 said:

edited February 2018

okay okay, so you didn't like the fat men

here's some poser  robots - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

I think the caption is ":Is it a bird, a plane... no it's it's Stezza's dog!"

robotNtphtonpassro.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Ted, your Moxie is very pretty! Her gown and shoes as well.

head wax said:

here's some poser  robots - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

Andrew, very stylish illustration!

Bunyip02 said:

Clueless.

Great result UB !!!

I completely agree!

edited February 2018

"Heroes fail too."

YaToon + ToonPro. No postwork.

2018-02-12_1202.png
    956 x 795 - 267K
    Delirium01.jpg
    1200 x 966 - 488K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited February 2018

Bunyip, HW, Vyusur - thanks a bunch!  I wanted to know if Carrara was capable of creating untra-realistic cartoons (an oxymoron?).  I learned a lot about modeling with primitives.:)  I also learned how famous cartoonists - two at least - use just a few basic shapes to create their characters.  It turned out that I needed to enhance Odie a bit to allow better Toon 3 outlines.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get Stezza's cat to outline well with certain settings, so the cat I did was created from scratch just like the two Peanuts characters.

I want to thank PhilW, who in his basic course mentioned that text can be very helpful in creating other things in the modeling room.  For example, if you look at the front of Garfield's arm, you will notice that it looks somewhat like an upside-down question mark.  That is exactly what I used. :)

Vyusur said:

"Heroes fail too."

YaToon + ToonPro. No postwork.

What happened to the beer-gut ? Nice work !!!!!

head wax said:

Like the combination of droids with the cat !!!

@vyusur seductive as usual... great stuff.. we are watching My Kitchen Rules on telly here and two new contestants in the kitchen are Russian girls... made me think of you and wondered what great Russian dishes these two are going to prepare.

@Diomede loving your characters and your ideas you put out from devilish to even more devilishly dog renders... very inspiring.

@shlomi laszlo great concepts and use of 3rd party software.. we are lucky to have such stuff available to present our ideas.. looking forward to viewing your finished images

@UnifiedBrain hope you enjoyed looking at some of Gary Clark's Ding cartoons.. part of my growing up and love them along with Footrot Flats by Murray Ball. You are now really thinking outside the kennel .. very well done toon with great use of the torus ;-)

@MDO2010 great render... just imagining what ritual they are preparing for... maybe getting ready to eat some hot cross buns. Very cool render.

@Bunyip02 love your renders... would love to see some outback toon types from you with your added flare ... I'm thinking NT & aliens would be right up your alley..

@Headwax... We just don't know what to expect from you but whatever it is it is just too cool...
    Half expecting a toon Barnaby to come jumping along spilling his beer along the way.. you just never know!

Thanks for everyones comments.. hard to keep up with all this cool stuff.. nothing like going through the pages whilst sipping on a coffee listening to Neil Diamond and wondering what to come up with next.. You only need to view these images and let your imagination do the rest..

Great work everyone... sorry if I missed anyone...

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited February 2018

Been playing around a bit with a non portrait type image. Just playing at this point.

The first one is just as the render is ending before the toon III filter is applied.

Dart may recognize his woodland set and Polish's german ww2 tank.

and all tooned out.

tank in wood lands original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    tank in wood lands toon III.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 926K
    Post edited by chickenman on
    edited February 2018

always very useful are Darts scenes.. it's a shame that the people who recently have purchased Carrara will miss out on these! angry

I've changed tack ... from modeling a dog or two to modeling a bird or two laugh

a test render to see how they look

note that these two models each started off as a circle in the model room.. starting at the neck and working up then down.

Post edited by Stezza on

Bunyip, thank you! He doesn't even have a mouth, all the more, where should he take the beer belly?