Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2018

And here are a couple more attempts of applying of Toon 3 filter.

Doc10.png
    900 x 1884 - 622K
    Doc19.png
    900 x 1884 - 590K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018

OK, well it seems that we are talking the same thing.  Toon 3 can do that type of outline pretty easily.

From the tutorial:

In the Toon 3 examples you provided, it appears that your outline color is not black, and that you maybe have "passes" set higher than 1.

If my example is still too "jaggy" for you, I could make it even smoother by increasing the initial render size.  I did so in the next post.

V4.2 Toon 3 example.PNG
    1501 x 866 - 439K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited February 2018

I rendered this at 6000 x 3466, then reduced in PSE.  But I kept it large so you could click on it and see how smooth it is.

NPR TUTORIAL V4_TOON 3 ver large_reduced 1.png
    3000 x 1733 - 974K
    edited February 2018

Same image size, but with the Object Edge set to 6 to make the outline thicker.  Still looks pretty clean to me.  What do you think?

NPR TUTORIAL V4_TOON 3 ver large thick lines 6 setting_reduced.png
    3000 x 1733 - 977K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Same image size, but with the Object Edge set to 6 to make the outline thicker.  Still looks pretty clean to me.  What do you think?

nice work

@Veronica maybe it's related to settings in the rendering room ?  I was surprised they made such a big difference

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited February 2018

might also depend on your monitor... enlightened

this one inspired by one of my favs Gary Clark and recent media events ... I couldn't find a Tesla!

Ding in Space.jpg
    800 x 566 - 258K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2018

anyone know who Hudson is..

Interesting bug in Carrara when I model a character and bone it then when I duplicate it I get an error if I want to take the copy into the model room.. also in the copy the morphs don't transfer over.. 

and who is Hudson .. is he gone from the Carrara85 dev Team...

Carr_error_hudson.jpg
    723 x 579 - 80K
    Post edited by Stezza on

pretty good but not the jetsons... 

5 is Lost In Space.. yes

Diomede said:

Stezza - I guess the Thunderbirds (written on side), the Beverly Hillbillies, the Jetsons, Lost in Space, and Batman.

edited February 2018

UB, your pictures are nice and smooth enough. I tried to followed exactly your instructions. Here I attached the result picture and screenshots of the settings. But the edges are still jagged.

Doc32.jpg
    2580 x 4300 - 3M
    2018-02-09_1127.png
    885 x 971 - 306K
    2018-02-09_1112.png
    311 x 137 - 23K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    Stezza said:

might also depend on your monitor... enlightened

this one inspired by one of my favs Gary Clark and recent media events ... I couldn't find a Tesla!

Nice Ding toon !!!!

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

5 is Lost In Space.. yes

Diomede said:

Stezza - I guess the Thunderbirds (written on side), the Beverly Hillbillies, the Jetsons, Lost in Space, and Batman.

2. Flying Sub - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

6. Spindrift Spaceship - Land of the Giants

8. Mini-sub - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Stezza, here's a couple more you should make :-

http://www.munsterkoach.com/

• Vyusur said:

UB, your pictures are nice and smooth enough. I tried to followed exactly your instructions. Here I attached the result picture and screenshots of the settings. But the edges are still jagged.

Well, that looks pretty good to me.  You are very picky. :) 

But OK.  I see that it could still get better.  The settings you used were right out of the tutorial, so those were fine.  What was your lighting?  Anything selected other than a single distant light set at 100?  This may or may not have any effect - I'm just asking because you didn't post it, and I'm trying to remove variables.

Also, how large of render did you output?  The bigger the render, the smoother the line when reduced afterwards.

Stezza mentioned monitor size.  Is yours large?  Obviously, if the monitor is really large, you will see things that are unnoticed on something smaller, and may be why your render looks better to me (24 inch monitor) than it does to you.

There are several other possible variables.  Thanks for trying them out so far.  I appreciate your desire for a better result.

• Stezza said:

I had to look him up, as I was unfamiliar with his work.  Award-winning and popular, especially in Australia.  Looks very authentic, nicely done!  What does the "L" stand for?

• Stezza said:

5 is Lost In Space.. yes

Diomede said:

I could only get the easy ones - Bev Hill, Batman, and Thunderbirds.  Number 2 is from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but it was a guess, and I had to look it up to be sure.

we are getting there .. between here and the people at Hivewire yes
    Just No.4 to get

clue- Cartoon series in the mid 60's

Stezza said:

I had to look him up, as I was unfamiliar with his work.  Award-winning and popular, especially in Australia.  Looks very authentic, nicely done!  What does the "L" stand for?

In Australia Learner Drivers have to display an   plate on the vehicle when driving... 

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza, here's a couple more you should make :-

http://www.munsterkoach.com/

I already have this one which is close to it ... kinda yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited February 2018

Couple more experiments with a grayscale look.  I changed all the textures on the figure and the clothes to shades of white, gray, black.  Moxie figure with VWD dress and Philemo converted hair.

Moxie is tryng out for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.

1)  Toon Part 3 - mostly UB's settings, and I increased the number of passes to 8 - not sure the passes did anything.

2)  NPR - checked outlne (50% width, 105% length), Diffuse, and Shadow.  I have a spotty brush for the diffuse and shadow.

moxie the rockette.jpg
    2400 x 3200 - 207K
    moxie the rockettes npr.jpg
    2400 x 3200 - 496K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    Vyusur said:

Well, that looks pretty good to me.  You are very picky. :) 

But OK.  I see that it could still get better.  The settings you used were right out of the tutorial, so those were fine.  What was your lighting?  Anything selected other than a single distant light set at 100?  This may or may not have any effect - I'm just asking because you didn't post it, and I'm trying to remove variables.

Also, how large of render did you output?  The bigger the render, the smoother the line when reduced afterwards.

Stezza mentioned monitor size.  Is yours large?  Obviously, if the monitor is really large, you will see things that are unnoticed on something smaller, and may be why your render looks better to me (24 inch monitor) than it does to you.

There are several other possible variables.  Thanks for trying them out so far.  I appreciate your desire for a better result.

UB, thank you for the comment. I think my scene's lighting is ok. The monitor size doesn't matter for render quality, neither you render on 27 inch Retina nor on your smartphone. I think the best way to improve Toon 3 outlines is to make a huge render and then reduce it respectively.

Diomede said:

Couple more experiments with a grayscale look.  I changed all the textures on the figure and the clothes to shades of white, gray, black.  Moxie figure with VWD dress and Philemo converted hair.

Moxie is tryng out for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.

1)  Toon Part 3 - mostly UB's settings, and I increased the number of passes to 8 - not sure the passes did anything.

2)  NPR - checked outlne (50% width, 105% length), Diffuse, and Shadow.  I have a spotty brush for the diffuse and shadow.

Ted, I like your Moxie! But I like the first render (Toon 3) much better. I found out that using more passes gives more blur.

Vyusur said:
    Diomede said:

Ted, I like your Moxie! But I like the first render (Toon 3) much better. I found out that using more passes gives more blur.

Thank you, Veronica.  I agree.  The Toon 3 is much better with these settings. I am likely to do a few more tests, but in the end will probably use Toon 3 even for the 2nd and 3rd categories.

Agree that doing very large renders and scaling them down gives the best results.  Unfortunately, that can really take up a lot of time if I use UB's suggested size for many NPR setting tests.  One reason I am using Moxie and Brash to do tests is that it holds down file sizes compared to Genesis generation figures when saving a scene.

edited February 2018

what I did with my $5 coupon.

lil bub test render 2.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 51K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • with the toon filter:

on gen 4 figures hide the eylases.

with trees override the line to make it small.

used a plane for the background.

no cast or recive shadows no color or specular.

a render post worked in pd howler as a texture map in the glow.

here is a wip

cartoon dragon1 wip.png
    3000 x 2250 - 8M
    edited February 2018
    Diomede said:

sweet... devilishly awesome devil

what I got with my 5 bucks.................

Stalked.jpg
    800 x 566 - 270K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2018

The Hair Do

yes... I modeled yet another dog!

The Hair Do.jpg
    800 x 566 - 356K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited February 2018

ha ha you chaps and chapettes are a scream

here's a homage to a  cartoon I once saw in Playboy circa 1981 - the graphic was very different but the sentiments the same - the men had their back to us , their hand in pockets I think, the heaven sign was seen from the back, mounted above a gate.

heaven.jpg
    2000 x 1369 - 2M
    heaventwo.jpg
    2000 x 1369 - 2M
    heavenpenandwash.jpg
    2000 x 1369 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • moved the texture map from a plane to the backdrop.

added a plane with a shadow cathcer.

cartoon dragon1.png
    3000 x 2250 - 8M
    edited February 2018

Vyusur - I like your Toon renders, maybe less art critic and more fun needed ?

Diomede - is Moxie still kicking up her heels - like the Toon render !!!!

- A devilish little render pushing cute buttons as well.

Stezza - gone to the dogs, great work as usual !!!!!

- nice Groot render, like his friend.

HeadWax - like the middle render the most.

Shlomi - nice work. The Dragon appears to be not quite touching the ground, maybe adjust the height of the shadow catcher just a fraction. Also have you thought about adjusting the background picture so it is more Toon rather than photo ? A nice freebie is FotoSketcher  https://fotosketcher.com/

1_FotoSketcher Cartoon 1600.png
    1600 x 817 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur - I like your Toon renders, maybe less art critic and more fun needed ?

Diomede - is Moxie still kicking up her heels - like the Toon render !!!!

- A devilish little render pushing cute buttons as well.

Stezza - gone to the dogs, great work as usual !!!!!

- nice Groot render, like his friend.

HeadWax - like the middle render the most.

Shlomi - nice work. The Dragon appears to be not quite touching the ground, maybe adjust the height of the shadow catcher just a fraction. Also have you thought about adjusting the background picture so it is more Toon rather than photo ? A nice freebie is FotoSketcher  https://fotosketcher.com/

i was aiming for a painterly background like in;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085542/?ref_=nv_sr_2

• Diomede said:

Stezza said:

what I got with my 5 bucks.................

Great choices!