Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...OK now this looks like a lot of fun.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    kyoto kid said:

Please join us!

I added a caption to my dog render (not an entry, posted it a few days before the Challenge started). Changed the background.

Toon 3, etc., and no postwork.

NPR Girl and her Dog 1a.png
    1000 x 1500 - 874K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited February 2018

Challenge within the Challenge - Game time?

Most people will only I.D. four of the TV shows these machines are in.. can you get the 8 shows these 9 machines are from?
    Yes 2 are from one show.... this is hard!

Post edited by Stezza on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ninety nine luft bulloon

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

• Diomede said:

There are so many choices for sources.  I hope to see some cartoons from around the world.

Will have to experiment a little more to get outlines for both spies at the same time.  If I leave the default black outline in Toon Part III then the coat line for the dark spy disappears.  Here is a test with using a gray color for the outline.

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this earlier.  If, after experimenting, you still have issues with showing both black and white outlines at the same time, please let us know.  I may have a solution, but I would need to experiment as well.  And it might also depend on the color scheme.  Are you going for a fully black and white render here?

did my very very very first toon iii filter render smiley

my render setting is on realistic, am i supposed to change the render setting also?

ch38Doc3.png
    1980 x 1006 - 949K
  • Mistara said:

Yay!

Mistara said:

my render setting is on realistic, am i supposed to change the render setting also?

No, you did exactly the right thing.  Very nice!

Mistara said:

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

stacks of good stuff - sorry am in the middle of a big move - trying to design website business cards and stuff - but am here and watching!!!! plus my show is on at the gallery...

ps I guess thunderbirds - love that spy versus spy one, the twin rabbits and Garfield :) Good job UB - be back asap I hope 

• head wax said:

stacks of good stuff - sorry am in the middle of a big move - trying to design website business cards and stuff - but am here and watching!!!! plus my show is on at the gallery...

Appreciate you still checking in.  Take care of business.  Hope the show is going well. yesyesyes

head wax said:

Appreciate you still checking in.  Take care of business.  Hope the show is going well. yesyesyes

thanks - lots of good feedback in the form of private messages - so am happy - the gallery is even printing a small catalogue :)

Mistara said:

Yay!

Mistara said:

No, you did exactly the right thing.  Very nice!

Mistara said:

ty smiley

trying to lessen the shadow shmootz on her nose.

• Mistara said:

ty smiley

Try the tips and settings in my tutorial here.  Should fix her right up.

Mistara said:

ty smiley

Try the tips and settings in my tutorial here.  Should fix her right up.

great tips there thanks UB

@Mysty - nice to see you working up NPR

edited February 2018
    kyoto kid said:

Please join us!

I added a caption to my dog render (not an entry, posted it a few days before the Challenge started). Changed the background.

UB this has a very nice film noire effect

Toon 3, etc., and no postwork.

Diomede said:

I'm almost ready for a little Mad Magazine Spy vs Spy.  In order to be educated on Spy v Spy, you might try the mad magazine website.  http://www.madmagazine.com/tags/spy-vs-spy-0

Here is my unrigged base spy figure and hat rendered using Toon Part III

Here is an actual example of an old panel.  I will try to find one worthy of homage.

that's terrific Diomede, I thought it was a real cartoon

Bunyip02 said:

NPR Topaz Simplify

Might do a version where Ahsoka is battling the beast.

wouldnt want to meet her in a  dark room :)  great effect on the glow around the sabres

Post edited by Headwax on
    Bunyip02 said:

Was the default with 50%, tried again at 70%

this one's much better - amazing what you can pull out of carrara

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2018

Trying different styles with my custom hero figure. The first render is Toon part III, the second one is NPR. I am not happy with the results so far.

Doc18.png
    875 x 1200 - 2M
    Doc72.png
    875 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Vyusur said:

Trying different styles with my custom hero figure. The first render is Toon part III, the second one is NPR. I am not happy with the results so far.

Looks like a nice figure!  What are your style expectations?  Do you want a more outlined cartoon/comic style?  Have you tried the settings in Toon 3 posted here?

Vyusur said:

Vyusur said:

this first one is getting there - perhaps more seperation between figure and back ground would help

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Not sure I can pull this off, but this my inspiration. Anyone remember B. Kliban? Especially his cat cartoons and books?...I used to love his work as a kid. I had Kliban cat sheets!

b_kliban_mad_cat.jpg
    698 x 462 - 77K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited February 2018

Here I am testing Toon III 

Still very much a WIP..

Doc3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018

Not sure I can pull this off, but this my inspiration. Anyone remember B. Kliban? Especially his cat cartoons and books?...I used to love his work as a kid. I had Kliban cat sheets!

Great choice!  What can I say?  Somehow I totally missed this guy.  He was like a pre-Gary Larson.  Hilarious stuff.  Look forward to your efforts!  This is one of his non-cat cartoons:

BKliban006.jpg
    1000 x 630 - 239K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Varsel said:

Still very much a WIP..

An impressive setting, and it looks great already!

what a great artist to emulate! looking forward to seeing your work!

Varsel said:

Still very much a WIP..

great looking wip, the streetscape looks the stuff

Vyusur said:

Looks like a nice figure!  What are your style expectations?  Do you want a more outlined cartoon/comic style?  Have you tried the settings in Toon 3 posted here?

Vyusur said:

Thank you, UB. I saw you nice tutorial. Since I bought Carrara (April 2016) I tried Toon III in a wide variety of ways. But I found out that this filter can never give that nice and smooth outlines that I was always looking for.

head wax said:
    Vyusur said:

this first one is getting there - perhaps more seperation between figure and back ground would help

Thank you, Andrew. I tried fog for the background separation. But it seems that fog doesn't work with Toon 3.

• Vyusur said:

Thank you, UB. I saw you nice tutorial. Since I bought Carrara (April 2016) I tried Toon III in a wide variety of ways. But I found out that this filter can never give that nice and smooth outlines that I was always looking for.

My experience is just the opposite, so we are probably talking about two different things.  Can you post an example of what you mean by "smooth outlines"?

For me, this is a smooth outline:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited February 2018

Vyusur - love the custom hero.  If you are unsatisfied with Carrara's native toon renderer, have you tried YaToon?  http://carraracafe.com/tag/yatoon/     Not sure you'd get the result you are looking for but it is free so may be worth a look.

UB - thank you for all the helpful comments.  Yes, I'm still having trouble with the lines for my Spy v Spy entry.  However, we have 3 categories.  The easiest thing for me to do will be to do the Sp v Spy in one of the categories that allows postwork.  That way, I can combine 2 renders of each spy with different colored outlines.

Stezza - I guess the Thunderbirds (written on side), the Beverly Hillbillies, the Jetsons, Lost in Space, and Batman.

Varsel - spectacular jub combing the gray background wth the colored figures.  Love it.  I hope to do something similar with the NPR renderer by applying black/white shaders.

Misty - you got this toon renderer thing down!  Lots of movement.  

Kyoto Kid - come on in, the water is fine.

Post edited by Diomede on

Here are some examples of what I call “smooth outlines”. It was ToonPro outlines and Yatoon shaders applied.

Doc31.png
    1300 x 1024 - 82K
    Doc36.png
    1300 x 1681 - 613K
    Doc44.png
    1300 x 1681 - 587K

Thank you, Ted. I followed your recomendations in last year and downloaded YaToon plugin. I like it shading. But it also gives jagged outlines.