Carrara Challenge #38 - Cartoons and Other Guilty Pleasures - Welcome our PA sponsor, Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited February 2018

Post work with Topaz Simplify.

Cartoon voice bubble added in PaintShopPro

Hulk mad 2 1600 ToazSimplify cartoon.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited February 2018

Changed a few things.

Hulk mad 3 Topaz Simplify cartoon.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
  • Fun posts, everyone!

As a reminder, if you want to do an actual entry, there are categories and constraints.

Category 1 - Must use toon 3 filter with no postwork.

Category 2 - Whether Homage or Original, it must be in the form of a classic single-frame cartoon.

Category 3 - Must use Stezza's dog.

In category 2 and 3, postwork is fine.

It's possible to make an entry that qualifies in all three categories.  Stezza almost did it here.  His cartoon would not quality in category 1, because he added speech bubbles in post.

In all three categories, you are encouraged to explore a variety of PR and NPR styles.  Because, while there are constraints (typical) in this Challenge, Carrara itself is virtually without constraints. smiley

• Jonstark said:

Awesome theme UB!  Already some great work from Carrarists too, it's inspiring to see things taking off so fast.  Inspiration hasn't struck me yet, I'll have to put on my thinking cap, but I'm looking forward to playing  smiley  Calvin and Hobbes was always my personal favorite comic, but on the other hand I found the Far Side was always the comic that was most likely to have me rolling on the floor laughing.  And on the other other hand, Scott Adams is perhaps my favorite cartoonist, though that's mostly because I enjoy following his periscopes on youtube discussing current events and the psychology of Persuasion (though I have nothing against his comic, Dilbert, and find it enjoyable too).

Dude, Stezza you are too good to us!  Thanks for the awesome lasagna-eating cat and the drooling doggie.  What comic could they possibly be from, I wonder? laugh

Thanks Jon!  For inspiration, just find a cartoon you like and start emulating (see Diomede earlier posts).  It doesn't have to be an entry - just something to get the juices flowing.  You never know where it will lead.

I think that a Calvin and Hobbs homage would be great, but difficult.  Plus, most of those were multi-frame panels.  However, if it is funny enough, we might be able to make an exception for an extra panel or two. smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018

I'm almost ready for a little Mad Magazine Spy vs Spy.  In order to be educated on Spy v Spy, you might try the mad magazine website.  http://www.madmagazine.com/tags/spy-vs-spy-0

Here is my unrigged base spy figure and hat rendered using Toon Part III

Here is an actual example of an old panel.  I will try to find one worthy of homage.

spy wip.JPG
    1474 x 980 - 222K
    spy toon wip.jpg
    480 x 640 - 17K
    spy-vs-spy-without-bombs-775529.jpg
    391 x 380 - 20K
    spy v spy jtrjghrgbdddd.jpg
    340 x 270 - 21K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018
    Diomede said:

I'm almost ready for a little Mad Magazine Spy vs Spy. 

Not my image!  Wish it was.

mad154.0.0.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 98K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited February 2018

There are so many choices for sources.  I hope to see some cartoons from around the world.

Will have to experiment a little more to get outlines for both spies at the same time.  If I leave the default black outline in Toon Part III then the coat line for the dark spy disappears.  Here is a test with using a gray color for the outline.

spies 2 by 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    edited February 2018

Second image - Lets Dance - a bit of a homage to the old TV series UFO

Lets Dance 1.png
    2276 x 1040 - 1M
    edited February 2018

Toon! part III render - shadow of the girl has shrunk in Toon !!!

Lets Dance 2 toon 1600.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 903K
  • What is your shadow setting in Toon 3?  Default is 50%.

edited February 2018

Was the default with 50%, tried again at 70%

Lets Dance 2b toon 1600.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 863K

Might do a Clone Wars render next !!!!!

• Bunyip02 said:

Was the default with 50%, tried again at 70%

Nice!  I love this filter.

Bunyip02 said:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited February 2018

Used metaballs to create the speech bubble... duplicated it and moved the copy slightly back and enlarged and coloured black to give an outline..
    Created the background.
    Used a shadow catcher.
    Used ToonPro Carrara plugin.

No postwork apart from sig.

Title - Footrot

FootrotWiP.jpg
    1469 x 760 - 253K
    Footrot.jpg
    800 x 600 - 540K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • On the third post, I added a brief tutorial on making clean outlines in Toon 3.  Any feedback is appreciated.

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

Used metaballs to create the speech bubble... duplicated it and moved the copy slightly back and enlarged and coloured black to give an outline..

Very creative!  A metaball speech bubble.  I was thinking of asking everyone here the best way they have found to make a bubble.  I drag in a sphere, pull out a point on it in the modeling room with soft select, then flatten it.  This allows the bubble to have a continuous outline in Toon 3.

Nicely done render!

Stezza said:

Created the background.
    Used a shadow catcher.
    Used ToonPro Carrara plugin.

No postwork apart from sig.

Title - Footrot

Lots of ways to go with a bubble .. with the metaball ( or any other model used ) I used just white colour and also white in the glow channel.. this gives it a crisp white. I duplicated it  and blacked it so as to give the impression of more line thickness than the settings for the render.. you can see the normal outline on the right side of the little bubbles I then also flattened the metaball then placed the text in front of it. yes

FootrotWiP2.jpg
    538 x 550 - 50K
    edited February 2018

Nice work Stezza

Start of new render - Ahsoka

Ahsoka 1.png
    2272 x 1037 - 413K
    edited February 2018

Fly, Eagles, Fly.

@UnifiedBrain - thanks for the tutorial in the third post.  yesyes

@Stezza - more uses for metaballs!  Going to add word balloons just so I can use them.  Fantastic work, as always.  I think that is morpheus with your dog?

@Bunyip02 - I'm trying to figure out why half of the woman's shadow is cut off in the 50% shadow render.  Very odd.  In any case, you solved it very well by upping the shadow setting.  Another excellent adventure scene.  I love those.

------------

Question about the forum TOS.  When do you think a topic ceases to be political and becomes historic?  One of the great traditions for cartoons is political cartoons, from Charlie Hebdo today to Thomas Nast in the 1800s. Here are some Thomas Nast era  examples. 

The-Brains_Thomas-Nast_Engraving_Harper’s-Weekly-Oct_-21-1871_Collection-of-Macculloch-Hall-Historical-Museum.jpg
    900 x 948 - 374K
    who-stole-the-peoples-money1.jpg
    1000 x 641 - 399K
    edited February 2018

Hello Diomede

The 50% shadow had me stumped, decided to increase it in 5% lots to see what it would do, fortunately it worked.

Ahsoka now with lightsabers !!!!!

Ahsoka 2.png
    2270 x 1040 - 455K

concur with @diomede .. great tutorial @unifiedbrain ... lots of adjusting/experimenting can give awesome results as @bunyip02 has shown.. 

yep @diomede that is a morpheus morph I snuck in there smiley

looking forward to all the speech bubbles and captions by everyone to finish them renders off yes

edited February 2018
    Diomede said:

@UnifiedBrain - thanks for the tutorial in the third post.  yesyes

Diomede, glad that someone looked at it. :)  Thank you for the nice comment as well, Stezza.

Diomede said:

@Bunyip02 - I'm trying to figure out why half of the woman's shadow is cut off in the 50% shadow render. 

Toon 3 has quirks.  I've had to change the shadow settings many times in experiments.  But those quirks are nothing compared to the NPR render engine.

Diomede said:

Question about the forum TOS.  When do you think a topic ceases to be political and becomes historic?  One of the great traditions for cartoons is political cartoons, from Charlie Hebdo today to Thomas Nast in the 1800s. Here are some Thomas Nast era  examples. 

I agree that political cartoons are another huge category, but if you don't mind, I would prefer not going there for this Challenge.  Even with the historic ones, there is too much potential for hurt feelings.

And besides, although this Challenge is centered on cartoons, it is not limited by them.  For example, there are many other artistic and creative (non-cartoon) directions one can go with the Toon 3 filter. 

Here is a category 1 example, not intended as a cartoon:

NPR V4_TOON 3_smaller.png
    2000 x 1155 - 2M
    edited February 2018

Ahsoka emerges victorious over the slain ravaging creature

Raw render from Carrara

Ahsoka 5 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    edited February 2018

NPR Topaz Simplify

Might do a version where Ahsoka is battling the beast.

Ahsoka 5 TopazSimplify 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

another case of classic amazing runway thread - nice work Ub et al.

edited February 2018

here's a ruffy from me - doesnt really fit anywhere as fars as the challenge - 

no post work bar sig

had a bit of trouble with poke through - it's Sophie or Phoebie -a  poser chick I found in my runtime...

sorry to not to comment on what has gone before - it's overwhelming! also attached toonpro111 settings - could be of interest

Doc2.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 405K
    settings.jpg
    984 x 986 - 214K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2018

here's another where I fiddled with sophies shaders via useing Fenrics balance plug in and sliding the Lightness value up to max (see pic number 3)

one light in the scene set at 2000 , colour gradient in background - no post settings attached

newpose2.jpg
    2844 x 4000 - 1M
    settings1.jpg
    854 x 803 - 130K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1296 x 1002 - 422K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2018

Headwax your picture needs some strategically placed fig leafs on her costume !!!! Looking forward to the finished item.

Garfield time - thanks Stezza.

Garfield 1 1600 Topaz Simplify.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited February 2018

@Headwax - I thought those were tassle holders.  wink​  Glad to see you choosing one of the lesser used figures.  This challenge is made for that IMHO.  

@Bunyip02 - Ahsoka and Garfield giving off very different vibes  Really enjoying the aura in the warrior render and nice cell look for Garfield.  

@UnifiedBrain - no worries, I will drop the political cartoon idea.  

Here is an experiment with some of the tips in UB's guide for Too Part III in the front of the thread.  Using the toon rabbit figure by 3D Universe.  Much more experimenting to do.

bunnies.jpg
    380 x 452 - 45K
    bunnies funnies santa.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 136K
    edited February 2018
    head wax said:

here's a ruffy from me - doesnt really fit anywhere as fars as the challenge - 

no post work bar sig

had a bit of trouble with poke through - it's Sophie or Phoebie -a  poser chick I found in my runtime...

sorry to not to comment on what has gone before - it's overwhelming! also attached toonpro111 settings - could be of interest

Love it!  Is there postwork?  If not, it qualifies under category 1.  Thanks for including the settings!  Poke thru is easy to fix with soft select.

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax your picture needs some strategically placed fig leafs on her costume !!!! Looking forward to the finished item.

Garfield time - thanks Stezza.

Love it!!  Very pretty.

Diomede said:

@Headwax - I thought those were tassle holders.  wink​  Glad to see you choosing one of the lesser used figures.  This challenge is made for that IMHO.  

Totally agree!

Diomede said:

@Bunyip02 - Ahsoka and Garfield giving off very different vibes  Really enjoying the aura in the warrior render and nice cell look for Garfield.  

@UnifiedBrain - no worries, I will drop the political cartoon idea.  

Here is an experiment with some of the tips in UB's guide for Too Part III in the front of the thread.  Using the toon rabbit figure by 3D Universe.  Much more experimenting to do.

Love it!!!  Wow, you guys are all getting into the toon groove.