Extrusion

When extruding in the model room, is there a way to keep the dimensions instead of having to manually scale it out?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi LOH :)

You can use "snap to grid",(Ctrl+G). to extrude a regular distance based on the grid spacing. 

you can set the grid spacing to whatever value you need (Ctrl+J),. and turn the snap on/off as you need.

when you extrude,. it will snap to the grid length, ...so,. each extrusion would be the same length.

Hope it helps :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If you press Ctrl while extruding, the new face will be the same size as the original face and it will be extruded at right angles to the original face. You can also use Shift to extrude in the plane of the original (I know you didn't ask this but the two are useful together for making regular shapes).

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Yup. I use both of those (what 3DAGE said and what PhilW said) all the time.

When using Snap to Grid, I just quickly set the grid size to the size I want each extrusion to be and start extruding. Change the grid size to the new size I need to extrude to, then extrude away.

More often than snapping to grid, however, I'm just using Ctrl or Shift to constraint my extrusion to one of the two dimensions of the extrusion.

Damn, modeling in Carrara is a blast!!! I love it!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

Okay, so there's symmery, but no mirrop?

Bevel?

To bevel an edge./ select the edge,. then go to modeling / Fast fillet ,. then pull out the edge to create a bevel.

You can enable symmetry for the object,. so you can model on both sides at the same time,. or..

not sure what "mirrop" means,. but i'm thinking it's "mirror operation" ,. which could be symmetrical modelling,. ?

you can select an object and choose "duplicate with symmetry" which allows you to duplicate and mirror that object on any axis.

this is commonly used to model half a figure and "duplicate with symmetry" to create the opposite half,.  whether that's a Wing /Fuselage of an aircraft,. or a head

edited January 2018

Alright, can I get suggestons? These stairsren't welded as you ca probably tell. Think i shold leave it unwelded?

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 189K
    Post edited by VIArts on

You mean welded to the walls? I wouldn't - but that's just me. If you did, you'd either be adding a lot of unneccessary polygons to the walls or making them each into one big n-gon. I guess it depends on what has to happen next?

I would agree. It could be welded at the top and botom, maybe. But the sides? Uh, probably a bad idea.

edited January 2018

In the model room, it rotates from the center of an edge Is thrre a way to rotate the edge around the end instead of the center?

Post edited by VIArts on

Not as far as i know,. ,. since the edge is the object selected,. it would rotate around it's axis,. as expected.

you could select the the individual vertices and move those into the position you want,... rather than rotate the edge. it'll accomplish the same thing.

For the stairs,.

unless there's a really good reason that you need to joint the stairs to the floor,. don't.

there's no need to, and it makes other stuff like UV mapping more complex than needed.

it's also more efficient to build things in parts,. those "parts" like stairs, can be saved to your library and reused in other scenes.

:)

I was thinking the same thing: Just keep those walls as a separate plane. 

edited January 2018

Fast filet is...well...FAST! i can hardly control it! Just a teeny twitch of my hand and FWOOSH!

edit: Nevermind. It doesn't anymore.

Okay, not welding the stairs.

Post edited by VIArts on
  •  

In the model room, it rotates from the center of an edge Is thrre a way to rotate the edge around the end instead of the center?

There is a way: select the edge, then Strg Alt click on the point you want to be center of the rotation.           Thanks to mr moir: 

edited January 2018

Ctrl Alt click (you put "Strg Alt click"). Good tip!

Post edited by PhilW on

Yeah I was ike "Uh, 'strong'? Mash the Alt button so it gets stuck? Nice try, dude." lol

this makes my life so much easier.

Finally ot past this part.

9170 polys. 172 steps. Start climbing! :P

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 226K
    Capture2.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 208K
  • PhilW said:

Ctrl Alt click (you put "Strg Alt click"). Good tip!

Oops......sorry!.......german keyboard........

How do you delete an edge without deleting a poly?  It's triangulating my quad  anwhen i try to delee it, it deletes half the quad

• I'm not shure to understand your modell but: deleting works better with the scissor tool than with the "delete" key on your keyboard.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Backspace provides a softer delete than the Del key, and usually that'll keep a poly intact.

Ugh..is the only way to add edge loo[s to manually draw it all the way around with the Add vertex tool?

Ugh..is the only way to add edge loo[s to manually draw it all the way around with the Add vertex tool?

If you have the Pro version, there are several edge tools available - Extract Along, Extract Around, etc. Towards the right of the tool bar.

Hey,ust had a rthought.. is it better for my stairs to hae thickness even though you wont see the bottom or sides?

Hey,ust had a rthought.. is it better for my stairs to hae thickness even though you wont see the bottom or sides?

It will just add polys so no need. The only exception is if you see light creeping around the edges, that can happen sometimes depending on the render engine and what lighting you have and adding thickness can help with that, but if you don't see any issues, I'd keep your mesh as light as possible.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Just extending the edges so they cross over a little normally handles any light leakage issues. Don't generally need to add backs to things unless you're going to see them from behind.

i found a bunch of verts lying on edges, like this one. i moved it away from the edge a bit so you can see what i mean. is here a wayn to add or weld it to the edge? if notl i'm doomed to don lots of work

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 182K

If you can see them,. and you can select them,. then you can hit Delete,. or use Edit/Disolve

You can also select a part of the model or the entire model,. got to Model/Weld ,. then select "Custom tollerance" and set the value as small as you need to weld those unwanted vertices together.

Those verts have to be there. They were extruded and moved there to make the area where the stairs go. they just arent part ofthe sdges like i thought utey were and should be.

However, looks like igotta start over. Again. Siiiiggghhh

Ooooky...I know where the UV Editor is, but I've never UVed in it  Meaning...I'M LOST AGAIN!