List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Give me a day or two: sure. I'll try to post some legible screenshots by the weekend (and put the shader itself up at ShareCG).
    That would be great!

Thanks for that...

Pen

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Plug a Clamp and Step between your Displace-Standard & Weave bricks, connect the Weave's output to the Value connecter on the Clamp & Step, set min to 0.9 and max to 1, set operation to Smooth Step. That wont give you a diamond pattern but it will give you the same thing you have on that dress in the picture.

PS I'm using DS3 SM brick names as I hate the SM in DS4, I spend more time fighting the bloody workspace than I do making shaders, I really would like to meet the idiot that designed it, so I can punch his ****in lights out for having nerfed it so bad.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Plug a Clamp and Step between your Displace-Standard & Weave bricks, connect the Weave's output to the Value connecter on the Clamp & Step, set min to 0.9 and max to 1, set operation to Smooth Step. That wont give you a diamond pattern but it will give you the same thing you have on that dress in the picture.

To get an actual diamond pattern you'd have to change the way it's calculated to begin with...

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

PS I'm using DS3 SM brick names as I hate the SM in DS4, I spend more time fighting the bloody workspace than I do making shaders, I really would like to meet the idiot that designed it, so I can punch his ****in lights out for having nerfed it so bad.

Thanks for the info Bejaymac...that will come in useful!

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 2012

Here's the shader tree, entire, at 31%. I've still got to annotate the rest of my screen stills (partial node trees, at 100% zoom) but will post them shortly.

Some repositioning of nodes was required, but the recipe is intact.

Steel_Plate_6.jpg
    815 x 580 - 290K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 2012

This is the node walk-through. I got the color values more-or-less from Lakys' still-splendid Blue Steel shader (circa DS 1.8 or so). Except for the Root Value change, as noted, this is the shader I used on the deck-plate dress on page 2 of this thread. I'm still fine-tuning it but hope to have it on ShareCG by the weekend. Some nodes and values are relabeled, but hopefully recognizable: "Transform to Screen" is a standard Transform node, but it's set to transform to Camera.

I'm splitting them into multiple posts to maintain sequence.

Steel_Plate_1.jpg
    810 x 537 - 300K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for doing that...

edited December 1969

Here's the next portion: the node progress is Right to Left, because I started making procedural node shaders in the P6 material room. I tried to allow some overlap so that you can follow more easily.

Steel_Plate_2.jpg
    813 x 534 - 329K
    edited December 1969

Half-way there: here we come to the end of the Displacement portion of the shader. Unlike most universal surface shaders, the Displacement and Surface node chains are inseparable.

Steel_Plate_3.jpg
    816 x 538 - 328K
    edited December 1969

Here I bring down the Occlusion Node seen above, and show what it's used for.

Steel_Plate_4.jpg
    814 x 539 - 271K
    edited December 1969

This shows all of the basic ingredients of my surface shader. The only node you have not seen is the Surface Root node. But as it is plugged into the DS Default Material node directly (Color to Surface Color, and Opacity to Surface Opacity) its inclusion would have been redundant. I opened up surface values that were changed from their defaults to show the new colors or values.

Steel_Plate_5.jpg
    812 x 534 - 366K
    edited December 1969

This shows all of the basic ingredients of my surface shader. The only node you have not seen is the Surface Root node. But as it is plugged into the DS Default Material node directly (Color to Surface Color, and Opacity to Surface Opacity) its inclusion would have been redundant. I opened up surface values that were changed from their defaults to show the new colors or values.

Wow...that's very interesting. I will try and have a play in the next few days. Just finished setting up a second monitor so I'm busy seeing what I can do with two screens.
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Here's a recipe I came up with while trying to recreate the Poser mat file for Flesh Forge's Peligro swimsuit. I'm trying to get the mesh look that football (American Football) and basketball jerseys have. 1st image is the textured fabric. 2nd image is an untextured clase-up. last two images are the recipe.

Note: the tile brick is connected to the displacement brick and the opacity channel of the Default material brick.

mesh_recipe2.jpg
    1553 x 847 - 249K
    mesh_recipe1.jpg
    1556 x 837 - 311K
    mesh_fabric_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 467K
    mesh_fabric.jpg
    800 x 600 - 319K
    Post edited by BWSman on
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Here's a recipe I came up with while trying to recreate the Poser mat file for Flesh Forge's Peligro swimsuit. I'm trying to get the mesh look that football (American Football) and basketball jerseys have. 1st image is the textured fabric. 2nd image is an untextured clase-up. last two images are the recipe.

Note: the tile brick is connected to the displacement brick and the opacity channel of the Default material brick.

Very interesting...another one for me to play with while I'm on holidays.
    edited December 2012

Paul's (aka Flesh Forge) Darling Nighty, I used the Poser transmaps rather than the gray DS ones and DS3's SM, these test renders are nearly two years old so if I can find my DBM files I'll post a screen shot.

Render_24.jpg
    494 x 660 - 284K
    Darling_02.jpg
    494 x 660 - 137K
    Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Paul's (aka Flesh Forge) Darling Nighty, I used the Poser transmaps rather than the gray DS ones and DS3's SM, these test renders are nearly two years old so if I can find my DBM files I'll post a screen shot.

Very nice...you seem to have gotten the transparencies working...I really struggle with that in SM.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Very nice...you seem to have gotten the transparencies working...I really struggle with that in SM.
    Struggle in what way?
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Pendraia said:
    Struggle in what way?

Getting the opacity to work by plugging in a map to the brick which has the standard surfaces...sorry computer isn't on and my brain is in holiday mode. It's the one that is plugged into the root surface brick.

Whenever I've tried to use it as you would in the surfaces tab it hasn't reacted the way I've expected it would. Mind you it's a while since I initially tried and it may have been fixed since.

edited December 1969

You've lost me there Pen, for me opacity has worked the same way in the SM since the DS3 pre release betas, if the info into the opacity Color node is "black" then it's invisible, if it's "white" then it's solid, which is exactly the same way DS has always used it with every other shader.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    You've lost me there Pen, for me opacity has worked the same way in the SM since the DS3 pre release betas, if the info into the opacity Color node is "black" then it's invisible, if it's "white" then it's solid, which is exactly the same way DS has always used it with every other shader.
    which is how it should work...at one point when I tried that it didn't work. It may have been a bug in the version i was using at the time. I will have another play and see if it is still an issue. Most likely it's been fixed.
    edited December 1969

I've uploaded the Deck Plate shader, as promised.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/66559/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Steel-Deck-Plate-material

edited December 1969

Here's my CMYK node set: It seems to work correctly for splitting out the relevant channels.

CMYK_Node.jpg
    1141 x 535 - 358K
  • Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited April 2013

I've made a couple of them myself, but nothing even near as complex as this! What does it do when the shader is applied to a model? Perhaps a quick render of something you used it for, maybe?

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
    edited December 1969

Here's my CMYK node set: It seems to work correctly for splitting out the relevant channels.
    Thanks Eustace, that looks useful...you wouldn't by any chance be the person working with Lady LittleFox? That looks like it would be useful for doing some of what she does with her new product for Poser. She said she was working with some DS gurus...; )
    edited December 1969

No--- not blessed to be a collaborator (unless it's someone else copying my putzing). I just translated the RGB - CMYK algorithm from this CodeProject page into a nodular equation. I found that via the WikiPedia article on the CMYK Color Model(which I'd bookmarked).

It's (ostensibly) the procedural equivalent of

Black   = minimum(1-Red,1-Green,1-Blue)
        Cyan    = (1-Red-Black)/(1-Black)
        Magenta = (1-Green-Black)/(1-Black)
        Yellow  = (1-Blue-Black)/(1-Black) 

and I figured the node tree would be useful to others as well.

BTW: Has anyone else found ShaderMixer to be more finicky when custom nodes are left grouped? I always seem to get better results when I ungroup them (or I did with D|S-P 4.0, and carried the habit over to 4.5).

edited December 1969

No--- not blessed to be a collaborator (unless it's someone else copying my putzing). I just translated the RGB - CMYK algorithm from this CodeProject page into a nodular equation. I found that via the WikiPedia article on the CMYK Color Model(which I'd bookmarked).

It's (ostensibly) the procedural equivalent of

Black   = minimum(1-Red,1-Green,1-Blue)
        Cyan    = (1-Red-Black)/(1-Black)
        Magenta = (1-Green-Black)/(1-Black)
        Yellow  = (1-Blue-Black)/(1-Black) 

and I figured the node tree would be useful to others as well.

BTW: Has anyone else found ShaderMixer to be more finicky when custom nodes are left grouped? I always seem to get better results when I ungroup them (or I did with D|S-P 4.0, and carried the habit over to 4.5).

I haven't used the grouping...sounds out of my league.

edited December 1969
  • EximorphEximorph Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Two different eye colors in Shader Mixer

This gets asked about in the forums occasionally, so I figured I would link this here before my post gets lost in the dark depths of the Commons.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/321399/

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

;_; None of those archived tutorials are of any use because the tuts are in the hotlinked images which are broken...

THIS is why I prefer-- no, DEMAND 100% text tutorials on the DAZ forums.

edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    ;_; None of those archived tutorials are of any use because the tuts are in the hotlinked images which are broken...

THIS is why I prefer-- no, DEMAND 100% text tutorials on the DAZ forums.

You'll get further if you ask nicely than if you demand....

However if you follow the process listed below you can access the images. This was posted on the first page of the thread. I suggest you read the thread before posting in such a manner next time.

Click on any link, then on the browser bar add "archive" after "forum" so that it reads "forumarchive.daz3d", this will display the thread. To view images copy the "postimages/origimage_whatever.jpg" part of a picture link and add it after forumarchive.daz3d.com/ on your browser bar

This discussion has been closed.