[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,132

Ongoing support is always important. Thanks for being one of those good vendors that takes pride in making their product the best it can be.

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    barbult said:

Ongoing support is always important. Thanks for being one of those good vendors that takes pride in making their product the best it can be.

smiley Thank you, Barbult.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...BTW was able to tweak glass shaders a bit.  Used a couple of AoA's Metallised Glass Shaders as the basis (Clear Crown Glass and Amber) and played around with the settings Got nice tinted "safety glass" for the shelter windows as well as a decent looking brown glass for the bottle with good reflectivity, as well a more proper looking windscreen on the bus.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

So I saw Sven Dullah used IBLM for an indoor pool scene.  How does that work?  If this is more of a dome lighting, how does it get "indoors"?

I feel like I am missing something really obvious blush

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Parris said:

Hi All,

As promised I am letting you know the status of the artifact bug. I believe I've fixed the issue and I have submitted the update to DAZ. I can't guarantee that this will eliminate all possible artifact situations as there may be other ways that you might get artifacts with IBL in 3DL. However, I believe this should fix the issue reported and shown by Sven Dullah, Kyoto Kid, and Freni-kyn.

When the update comes out, it would be great if folks could apply the change and confirm the results. Basically, Shadow Bias was broken (sorry about that). After the update is installed, Shadow Bias (bottom of IBLMLight's Light settings) is set to .2. That should help right off the bat, but if you still see black lines that shouldn't be in the render, then you may want to assign a higher value to Shadow Bias. In my tests, this fix works with Progressive render off as well as on, and with the image below, Progressive Off was significantly faster. You should see no speed hit from this fix.

***Edit ***: I forgot to add that the full documentation (including FAQs) in PDF form also comes with this update. It is essentially a printable version of the information online here: https://www.chrisparrishdesign.com/ibl-master/

Image on left shows render before the fix (with artifacts around the nose). Image on the right is the fix with Progressive Off.

IBL Master Light Shader artifact bug fix

Great:) Thank you Parris for your support, I really appreciate it! Will report here after updating and testing;)

3dOutlaw said:

So I saw Sven Dullah used IBLM for an indoor pool scene.  How does that work?  If this is more of a dome lighting, how does it get "indoors"?

If you set IBLM/light/trace distance low enough the shader won't "see" the walls/ceiling in a closed environment, so you can use any HDRI to light indoor environments. In that pool scene I experimented with different grayscales to get fast rendering GI/AO. Darker images create more contrast. You just have to increase diffuse samples to get a noisefree render.

3dOutlaw said:

If you set IBLM/light/trace distance low enough the shader won't "see" the walls/ceiling in a closed environment, so you can use any HDRI to light indoor environments. In that pool scene I experimented with different grayscales to get fast rendering GI/AO. Darker images create more contrast. You just have to increase diffuse samples to get a noisefree render.

Whooooosh! Did you hear that flying right over my head wink I'm an Iray gal these days. I've forgotten most of what I ever know about 3Delight. IBL Master is making me dabble in it again.

barbult said:
    3dOutlaw said:

Whooooosh! Did you hear that flying right over my head wink I'm an Iray gal these days. I've forgotten most of what I ever know about 3Delight. IBL Master is making me dabble in it again.

laugh

3dOutlaw said:

Here I used a grayscale gradient made in Gimp plugged into the HDRI slot. Trace distance was the default 350 IIRC.

• I just found this, via the Show Us Your 3Delight Renders thread, and holy cow, am I excited to buy and try this! I have to wait for payday but then, this is mine! Thank you, as Sven said, for supporting those of us who use 3Delight!

nelm2010 said:

I just found this, via the Show Us Your 3Delight Renders thread, and holy cow, am I excited to buy and try this! I have to wait for payday but then, this is mine! Thank you, as Sven said, for supporting those of us who use 3Delight!

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment. The developers at 3Delight continue to improve it and I'm excited about the possiblility of bringing more of the power of 3delight to Daz Studio.

But I could really use help from all of you in spreading the word. Right now I don't think a lot of people know about IBL Master outside of the folks who bought it when it was on sale in early January. Particularly, it might help a lot if folks who post their renders would share them in the Galleries and list IBL Master in the "What content/software was used?" section. Anyway, I thank you for your interest and any help is welcome.smiley

...I've been talking it up on a number of threads. 

I don't post much to the galleries as there are so many submissions each day that works get buried rather quickly and unless you have good following, not many will see them. This is why I submit to the Show me your 3DL and IBL Master Appreciation threads.

Parris said:
    nelm2010 said:

I just found this, via the Show Us Your 3Delight Renders thread, and holy cow, am I excited to buy and try this! I have to wait for payday but then, this is mine! Thank you, as Sven said, for supporting those of us who use 3Delight!

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment. The developers at 3Delight continue to improve it and I'm excited about the possiblility of bringing more of the power of 3delight to Daz Studio.

But I could really use help from all of you in spreading the word. Right now I don't think a lot of people know about IBL Master outside of the folks who bought it when it was on sale in early January. Particularly, it might help a lot if folks who post their renders would share them in the Galleries and list IBL Master in the "What content/software was used?" section. Anyway, I thank you for your interest and any help is welcome.smiley

I'm setting up the New Users Challenge for February. The topic is Lighting. I plan to mention IBL Master as a new tool available for both Iray and 3Delight.

That's really cool, Barbult and Kyoto Kid! Thank you both. I know Sven Dullah has been sharing a lot of cool renders and comments, and I know that others are as well. Much thanks to you all!

Parris said:

That's really cool, Barbult and Kyoto Kid! Thank you both. I know Sven Dullah has been sharing a lot of cool renders and comments, and I know that others are as well. Much thanks to you all!

My lighting challenge page is subject to review by "the powers that be", so I can't guarantee that IBL Master will be mentioned. I did add it to the draft that I submitted for review, along with a couple other new lighting tools in the store.

• Using iray boost lights, after some time the parameters freeze up. Also the boost light doesn't show up in renders. I'm using default settings. Also I can't find any setting for adjusting Intensity of the boost lights. Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

edited February 2018

...OK just installed the updated version. and wow,  works like a charm.  Render time 9m:46s at 1,500 x 1,125 with bucket size set to 8.

2018-02-02 00:24:15.765 Finished Rendering
    2018-02-02 00:24:15.811 Total Rendering Time: 9 minutes 45.93 seconds
    2018-02-02 00:24:15.905 Loaded image r.png

For comparison, first attachment is in progressive mode second is the default bucket mode.  Switching between the two, I see no difference in quality.

This just made my day.

BusStop glass proof 2.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 1M
    bus stop updated bucket mode.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Thanks for the update!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited February 2018
    kyoto kid said:

...OK just installed the updated version. and wow,  works like a charm.  Render time 9m:46s at 1,500 x 1,125 with bucket size set to 8.

2018-02-02 00:24:15.765 Finished Rendering
    2018-02-02 00:24:15.811 Total Rendering Time: 9 minutes 45.93 seconds
    2018-02-02 00:24:15.905 Loaded image r.png

For comparison, first attachment is in progressive mode second is the default bucket mode.  Switching between the two, I see no difference in quality.

This just made my day.

The reflection on the metals (car exhaust and bus rims) is very different in your test, kyoto kid.

Thanks for the update, @Parris. I did some tests of my own on a figure that rendered with artifacts:

In this case, the update definitely mitigated the issue, but it appears as though a small amount persists (even when bumping up the bias further).

On another note, I know it's been brought up before but I can't seem to find an answer/solution: short of rendering higher resolution and downsampling, is there anyway to eliminate the grain when rendering with progressive on?

- Greg

ibl-update-test.png
    256 x 512 - 234K
    Post edited by algovincian on

...yes just noticed that.  Actually they look much better in the bucket render as progressive mode tends to have some issues with poor anti-aliasing on very bright highlights. 

I actually had to use the Geometry Editor to apply a less reflective aluminum shader to the trim around the tail lights of the car as during progressive rendering, the highlights of chrome shader suffered from severe anti-aliasing (unfortunately all the chrome on the car is one material zone so I had to make the trim it's own surface).  Apparently progressive mode needs to perform another pass (similar to the anti-aliasing pass in Bryce), so the only way to fix this is through scripting which is definitely outside my expertise.

Sorry for the stupid question but where is the update? Can't see it in DIM.

Sorry for the stupid question but where is the update? Can't see it in DIM.

Not a stupid question. You definately should see it in DIM. Below is what I see.

Hey everyone, I'm really glad this update was released so quickly. I hope it serves you well. But the timing is a little tricky because I will be out of town for a couple of days and away from internet starting this morning. So if you have any questions over the weekend, hang tight. I'll be checking back in here when I get back. Thank you.

IBL Master Update DIM

IBL-Master_Update_DIM.jpg
    619 x 803 - 90K

@Parris

Thanks! I'll check my filtersettings;)

@Parris

Thanks! I'll check my filtersettings;)

Yup found them:) Thanks a lot Parris!

edited February 2018

I'm struggling to rotate my HDRIs with the IBL Master, because the preview in the viewport is so dark. Is there a way to lighten it, even temporarily, that so I can better see what part is going to be rendered? I am viewing it in Texture Shaded.

This is what I see in the viewport:
    I have no idea where the tree trunk is or where the ground is.

This is what renders:

This HDRI is 05-20_Park_C from No Emotion. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 

Park C viewport.JPG
    699 x 922 - 69K
    Park C.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited February 2018

Testing updated IBLM, seems to work much better with normal maps and geometry now:) 3DL, progressive mode, 15 min

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    barbult said:

I'm struggling to rotate my HDRIs with the IBL Master, because the preview in the viewport is so dark. Is there a way to lighten it, even temporarily, that so I can better see what part is going to be rendered? I am viewing it in Texture Shaded.

This HDRI is 05-20_Park_C from No Emotion...

First off, thanks for mentioning exactly what HDRI you are using and where to get it! Providing information that makes it easier for someone to reproduce the same results on their machine can really help speed up the diagnosis / remedy. Having the HDRI on my machine may not have been critical in this instance, but I still found it interesting and it's useful in general.

Anyway, the best way to brighten up the HDRI in the viewport is to use an image editor like Photoshop to convert it from a 32 bit image to 8 bit (JPEG, PNG, or TIF) and use that temporarily as a surrogate while you are getting the rotation where you want it for the background. To do this in PS, you would navigate to Main Menu > Image > Mode and choose 8 Bits/Channel... . Then in the HDR Conversion dialog, try Highlight Compression as the Method and hit the OK button. With the HDRI you have here, I find it does a nice job of bringing back detail in the clouds while leaving the rest of the detail untouched (ie: bright enough and with enough contrast to easily see the trunk, etc). Then save it out as a JPEG (or PNG if you're worried about quality loss).

Also, I should point out that if you are rendering on the 3Delight side, this change doesn't have to be temporary, because you can turn off Image Sync and use this JPEG as the background while using the HDRI to light the scene. Details on how to turn off Image Sync are in the FAQ about HDRIs here: https://www.chrisparrishdesign.com/ibl-master/?id=12#ui-id-13  - see last paragraph starting with "Turning Image Sync Off (3DElight only):". NOTE: Once Image Sync is off, changing the image on IBL Master Control will still change the background and the light, but if you choose a different image for the background or the light, it won't change anything else.

Below I show using the jpeg for the background and control spheres, while using the HDR for the light (Image Sync OFF on IBL Master Control).

IBL Master with Image Sync off

IBLMaster_ImageSync_Off_IBLMLight_HDR.jpg
    1104 x 1013 - 252K

...had an interesting matter occur.  Went into another one of my older scenes that I originally used UE on (and took several hours to render) and replaced it with the IBL light as n a single AoA Distant Light just like my test scene. Also used a different sky from the IBL skies set. However after rendering was complete (something like 10 min), I noticed there were two shadows being cast.  The scene has no other lights than the two I mentioned.  This did not occur in the bus stop test scene which uses the same lighting setup.  As the Sky HDR I am using was meant for Iray, there should be no "sun" light (since it would be a physically based rather than shader based light) just as in the bus stop scene.  When I turned off the Distant Light and rendered the scene just with the IBL, indeed there were faint but hard shadows being cast by all the characters/items.

summer in the city double shadow.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 1M
    kyoto kid said:

...had an interesting matter occur.  Went into another one of my older scenes that I originally used UE on (and took several hours to render) and replaced it with the IBL light as n a single AoA Distant Light just like my test scene. Also used a different sky from the IBL skies set. However after rendering was complete (something like 10 min), I noticed there were two shadows being cast.  The scene has no other lights than the two I mentioned.  This did not occur in the bus stop test scene which uses the same lighting setup.  As the Sky HDR I am using was meant for Iray, there should be no "sun" light (since it would be a physically based rather than shader based light) just as in the bus stop scene.  When I turned off the Distant Light and rendered the scene just with the IBL, indeed there were faint but hard shadows being cast by all the characters/items.

Well some HDRI's emit direct light, some don't. Did you try the same one as in your test scene? Nice scene by the way;)

edited February 2018

...one from the same set also with a relatively clear sky and in that scene, everything looks fine.

Attached is the scene which I rendered again with the Distant Light turned off.  Again this is an Iray HDR so the sun it has shouldn't work since it is a PBR light.  Yeah increasing the multiplier will brighten the scene but the one issue is that all the shadows have a hard edge (a frequent situation with HDR sun lighting).  With the Distant Light I can set the shadow softness to look more like a real sun cast shadow (which gets more diffuse the further away surfaces are from the shadow casting object).

summer in the city HDR only.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on