More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR).

Comments

• magicjava said:

So i've been watching the Game Grumps play Doki Doki Literature Club recently and felt inspired.

Glitch effect was done in Filter Forge Pro 6 using "Glitch" by AwesomeSauce (with minor alterations to work with alpha).

Sorry for two posts in a row, this one was supposed to be in the above post too. Great work!

Thank you! :D

Just so you know, if you need to add a quote into an existing post, you could click the quote button, highlight the quote that appears in the "leave a comment" box at the bottom, copy it, click on the edit button for your post, and then paste it into there. I think that'll work, though admittedly I haven't tried it myself. ^^"

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018

Some of the characters in Heroes of the Wild Frontier. Straight Arrow, Ghost Slinger, Dreamcatcher, Steam Train, and Stella Obscura.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • So, we maxed out the other thread? Hmmmm. Interesting. I didn't know that was possible.

• magicjava said:

Some of the characters in Heroes of the Wild Frontier. Straight Arrow, Ghost Slinger, Dreamcatcher, Steam Train, and Stella Obscura.

Very nice work, all around (and I'm a big fan of Westerns). This one, though, is a bit too dark. Perhaps a key light on his body to outline him would add to the menace of his presence? Just a thought.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited January 2018

head wax said:

another Carrara one with that engraving technique - combo of photodonut and FilterForge plus native Carrara renders

the second one uses Carrara's native toon!pro111 as the base combined with a little mix of a diffuse pass, a coverage pass and a shadow pass

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Kenmo Said:

Superb work. Not sure which one I prefer as I love both....

thanks Kenmo! me neither :)

So, we maxed out the other thread? Hmmmm. Interesting. I didn't know that was possible.

yup maxes out at 100 pages abouts - says a lot about how popular the topic is !

magicjava said:

particu;ary like the style of the figure in this one

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited January 2018

Widdershins Studio

Cool ! Looking forward to it. Good luck with the store - when you are ready to publish I can put a link/image on my website if you want.

Later,

Rog.

I just might take you up on that. Thanks!

kenmo

Nice indeed... Printed or digital comic?

Thanks. It's a digital comic.

magicjava said:

Very nice work, all around (and I'm a big fan of Westerns). This one, though, is a bit too dark. Perhaps a key light on his body to outline him would add to the menace of his presence? Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback. In that picture I did backlighting by bouncing the light from the fire off the horse. But I admit the effect is subtle enough that it may not be visible on some monitors. Maybe next time I'll do a rim light.

head wax said:
    magicjava said:

particu;ary like the style of the figure in this one

I like Dreamcatcher too. She's a scene stealer.

Post edited by magicjava on

Couple of different Carrara treatments on a Gladiator

head wax said:

My favorite is the middle one. The outline drawn around the character is just about perfect.

Head wax, I really think you should put together tutorials for how to do these shots and sell the tutorials on the DAZ store. I honestly had no idea that Carrara could produce these kinds of images.

edited January 2018

I promised free copies of the comic, and here's the first one. You can now download Issue 1 of Heroes of the Wild Frontier! This issue catches up with the team after their battles with the alien known as Superbrain and introduces new characters who will soon be joining the team. The action takes place in and around Roswell, New Mexico in the late 1800s. And, of course, on the Moon.

I'm creating an entire comic universe. These characters were originally introduced as a backup story meant to give a little bit of history to the universe. It was only later that I realized they were key to shaping the entire universe.

The cover and two page samples from the issue are shown below.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500

Great looking gladiator, head wax. My favorite is the first one.

edited January 2018

Very nice comic, magicjava.

Post edited by Artini on
    magicjava said:
    head wax said:

My favorite is the middle one. The outline drawn around the character is just about perfect.

Head wax, I really think you should put together tutorials for how to do these shots and sell the tutorials on the DAZ store. I honestly had no idea that Carrara could produce these kinds of images.

thank you magicjava ! ah yes I am trying to talk Carrara up. :0 Carrara has quite a few render passes out of the box that give NPR artists a lot of meat to play with.

Artini said:

Great looking gladiator, head wax. My favorite is the first one.

thanks very much artini :)

magicjava  that's very generous of you re the comic - cant wait to have a gander

• kenmokenmo Posts: 893

What a fantastic topic this is...

I'm not a Blender user... However I do have it installed on my computer. I just stumbled upon this youtube video on how to use Blender to create line art for comic book backgrounds and thought I should share it...

edited January 2018
    Artini said:

Very nice comic, magicjava.

head wax said:

magicjava  that's very generous of you re the comic - cant wait to have a gander

Thanks guys. Enjoy!

Issue 2 of Heroes of the Wild Frontier is up! This issue finds Captain Æther returning from the moon. The shape-shifting aliens known as Imagions are introduced and a shadowy figure manipulates events behind the scenes.

Straight Arrow, Steam Train, and Stella Obscura are recruiting two new team members: Ghostslinger and Dreamcatcher. We also wrap up the back stories for Ghostslinger and Dreamcatcher.

kenmo said:

I'm not a Blender user... However I do have it installed on my computer. I just stumbled upon this youtube video on how to use Blender to create line art for comic book backgrounds and thought I should share it...

What a cool link. Thanks kenmo

magicjava said:
    kenmo said:

My pleasure....:-)

edited January 2018
    magicjava said:
    kenmo said:

double that thanks!! :)

===================================================================

. This is the Helmeted Bird out of one of Bosch's works - The Garden of Earthly Delights.

He appears in my homage to another work by Bosch - Removing the Stone of Madness which will be soon hanging at Maitland Regional Art Gallery (NSW, Australia). 

Opens Feb 3rd 2018 and goes to April 29th. Of course I'd love it if you came to the show :) MRAG website is here.

http://mrag.org.au/exhibitions/coming-exhibitions/

you'll find him bottom right on the right panel of this triptych https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

Carrara renders postworked

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142
    head wax said:

The middle render is all sorts of perfect @headwax.

head wax said:

The middle render is all sorts of perfect @headwax.

thank you, that's very kind!

Another Carrara Job. -  m4 holding an imaginary baby.... as you do.

I rendered out a normal map (attached) of the scene then used that  as a black and white base for the image

then rendered out a shadow pass and combined that with the diffuse pass and a few different toonpro renders to get the line work

post work in Filter Forge and Topaz Impression

normal.jpg
    1200 x 1400 - 260K
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I've probably been hitting the classic anime a little too hard lately.

Anime title2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited January 2018
    head wax said:
    magicjava said:
    kenmo said:

. This is the Helmeted Bird out of one of Bosch's works - The Garden of Earthly Delights.

He appears in my homage to another work by Bosch - Removing the Stone of Madness which will be soon hanging at Maitland Regional Art Gallery (NSW, Australia). 

Opens Feb 3rd 2018 and goes to April 29th. Of course I'd love it if you came to the show :) MRAG website is here.

you'll find him bottom right on the right panel of this triptych https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

I'm always blown away by your stuff, head wax. Both this and the invisible baby one are fantastic!

vrba79 said:

I've probably been hitting the classic anime a little too hard lately.

I like this one too. The girl, in particular, walks a neat line between realisim and cartoon.

thank you magicjava  :)

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited January 2018

Thanks, Magicjava!

This is what happens when you binge on Robotech, followed by Macross: Do You Remember Love. In fact, the light up bits on the girl's outfit are directly inspired by the light up bits of Minmei's outfit in the latter.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited January 2018

Pile of books.

LomoHigh_CartoonMyCritter2.jpg
    1920 x 1030 - 746K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

Wanna share this with readers of this thread. It's a picture done in DAZ Studio using only models available in my Kirby Krackle download. No postwork (except to add word balloons).

Artini said:

Pile of books.

That's magical artini :)

magicjava said:

Wanna share this with readers of this thread. It's a picture done in DAZ Studio using only models available in my Kirby Krackle download. No postwork (except to add word balloons).

classic, I failed the inkblot test, I thought they were breasts ! seeing it smaller it all becomes apparent!!!

the first render is Dartanbeck's badlands product via Carrara in three d Spherical - 

Great set thanks Dart

head wax said:
    magicjava said:
    kenmo said:

Great surrealism and fantastic render....

Thank you, head wax.

This discussion has been closed.