Bot for Genesis problems

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Nice that they've added a feature to invert the normal direction. This indirectly solves my feature request for an option to invert the normals when creating non-planar primitives in Studio. But does 4.6 also now show you which direction the normal is pointing in? (I likely won't get to try installing 4.6 until the weekend.) In this case, you know the hole material is inverted, but say only a few of the faces were bad. There needs to be an easy way to tell which way they are facing so you can select just the bad ones.

Also, is this really changing the face normal? Or flipping the vertex normals that make up the face?

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Nice that they've added a feature to invert the normal direction. This indirectly solves my feature request for an option to invert the normals when creating non-planar primitives in Studio. But does 4.6 also now show you which direction the normal is pointing in? (I likely won't get to try installing 4.6 until the weekend.) In this case, you know the hole material is inverted, but say only a few of the faces were bad. There needs to be an easy way to tell which way they are facing so you can select just the bad ones.

Also, is this really changing the face normal? Or flipping the vertex normals that make up the face?

Changes the face normal I believe, but you are so right that we need to see which way the normal is pointing. Usually it is like a little rod sticking out of the center of the poly face, but I don't think they have a way to show that yet.

edited December 1969

Well, I just submitted a feature request to add normals display modes: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50362

edited December 1969

Very good! Thanks for doing that.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Parris said:

It has to do with the new options for SubD, I believe. The normals of the inside end caps of my mechanical elbows point inwards (by mistake) and the new DS doesn't like that. I'm finishing up an update to Bot Genesis this week and the fix is included in that update. If you don't want to wait for the update, read on...

The developers of DS are aware of this issue, so I don't think you need to file a ticket. DS 4.6 Pro now has a feature to deal with models that may have their poly normals pointing inward called Reverse Winding Order:

Select the figure or model that you want to fix. Activate the Polygon Group Editor Tool and use one of many selction methods to select the polys that you want to effect. In the case of my elbow caps, you will want to hide Genesis (click eye to the left of Genesis in the Scene tab) so you can more easily see the bot elbow parts. Next select the elbow figure in the Scene tab, then right click in the viewport and select Polygon Selection > Select > Surfaces > hole. Now the problem polys should all be selected. Now right click in the viewport again and navigate to Polygon Editing > Reverse Winding Order to apply the fix. No idea why they call it that; 3D Modelers are more familiar with the term "Reverse Normals" as it is called in most 3D apps I know of.

Ok, thanks for the tip. :lol:
  • WAVEDELSHWAVEDELSH Posts: 100
    edited May 2013

I working on an Animation using Bot for Genesis but since i upgraded to Daz 4.6
    None of my bot animations BHV files work properly now?
    Heres what i've managed to do before i upgraded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3UWwBjK80

mach.jpg
    1021 x 919 - 490K
    Post edited by WAVEDELSH on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited May 2013

I am encountering a really odd issue with the bot for genesis

the arms in the view port look it looks like it has a bizarre error but renders correctly

robort_arm_render.JPG
    782 x 667 - 25K
    robot_arm.JPG
    320 x 542 - 26K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Read the previous page.

edited December 1969

Sweet thank you, I shall wait for the update.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

For some (stupid) reason the devs made the new Catmark SubD as the default SubD, so try changing the Sub Division Algorithm back to the Catmull-Clark (Legacy), which is what we've been using all these years.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    For some (stupid) reason the devs made the new Catmark SubD as the default SubD, so try changing the Sub Division Algorithm back to the Catmull-Clark (Legacy), which is what we've been using all these years.

I believe I tried that and got the same result.

edited December 1969

I just tried it, and setting it back to CCLegacy worked for me. Have to set it on Genesis itself, though, since the geografts inherit the SubD settings from the figure they are grafted to.

Still, hopefully it won't be long before the update for Bot is available.

edited December 1969

Yes, hopefully soon. I just uploaded the update to QA today, so it shouldn't be too long. However, if anyone wants to try to apply the full blown fix the way I did, I've updated my instructions on page 4 to include how to save out the changes.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Parris said:
    Yeah, but I think it still renders OK. I would put a ticket in though.

you're right, it renders ok, the issue is only on viewport.

It has to do with the new options for SubD, I believe. The normals of the inside end caps of my mechanical elbows point inwards (by mistake) and the new DS doesn't like that. I'm finishing up an update to Bot Genesis this week and the fix is included in that update. If you don't want to wait for the update, read on...

The developers of DS are aware of this issue, so I don't think you need to file a ticket. DS 4.6 Pro now has a feature to deal with models that may have their poly normals pointing inward called Reverse Winding Order:

Select the figure or model that you want to fix. Activate the Polygon Group Editor Tool and use one of many selection methods to select the polys that you want to effect. In the case of my elbow caps, you will want to hide Genesis (click eye to the left of Genesis in the Scene tab) so you can more easily see the bot elbow parts. Next select the elbow figure in the Scene tab, then right click in the viewport and select Polygon Selection > Select > Surfaces > hole. Now the problem polys should all be selected. Now right click in the viewport again and navigate to Polygon Editing > Reverse Winding Order to apply the fix. No idea why they call it that; 3D Modelers are more familiar with the term "Reverse Normals" as it is called in most 3D apps I know of.

Ok, now you have the elbow figures fixed so then what? If you want to have them load correctly in the future (before my update comes out), then the best thing might be to save each figure out as an asset. Then you can delete the asset DUF and thumbnail but my original wearables will now load correctly. It's a bit more tricky but here's how to do all that (follow at your own risk) for the right elbow:

With the right elbow figure still selected in the Scene tab, choose File > Save As > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Assets... and in the Filtered Save dialog, navigate to where the product's wearables are. Paths may vary slightly but on my PC this would be: C:\Users\YourUsername\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis\Clothing\Bot Genesis. Name the file something like rElbow_Asset.duf and hit Save. Now you get the Figure/Prop Assets save Options dialog. Asset Directory should be the one ending with My Library; Vendor Name:Parris, Product Name: Bot Genesis, Item Name: Bot Right Forearm. You should be able to leave other settings in this dialog as is. So if that all looks correct then hit Accept. What this will do is save out a new asset but also update the corresponding DSF (where the geometry info gets written) in the data folder. The DSF file that should get updated when you save in this case would be C:\Users\YourUsername\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\Parris\Bot Genesis\Bot Right Forearm\Bot_Gen_rElbow.dsf. So after saving, you can delete rElbow_Asset.duf and rElbow_Asset.duf.png from the folder and just load the original wearable. for the left elbow do the same but take care to name the file you save as lElbow_Asset.duf and use Bot Left Forearm for the Item Name (case and spacing matters).

But hey, if all that seems a little scary or too much of a pain, Just wait for the update. I uploaded it to QA today, so hopefully it will be available soon.

Thank you very much for this. It works!!! Since I don't have the time to fix everything, I appreciate the upcoming update.

edited December 1969

Same here, thank you very much for doing the update. I love this thing and can't wait to get back to using it.

This is the last render I did with it.

file_2424009.jpg
    999 x 1411 - 460K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

new update? Is now saying it's Version 1.2.

edited May 2013

encountered a new issue, this happens when you apply just about any morph

If someone else is getting this issue with the hands what I did to fix it is I

First installed created two folders on my desktop, one for each version of the bot for genesis installer, folders names were 1.1 and 1.2

then I installed version 1.1 into the 1.1 folder and the 1.2 into the 1.2 folder

I then moved all the hand parts from the 1.1 folder into the 1.2 folder overriding the files

I then moved the files from the folder I created into my the folder where I have my content

and it works

thank you

hand.png
    900 x 900 - 166K
    edited December 1969

Ok, I just got notification from DAZ QA that the product has been updated, but I don't have an installer or zip from them yet. So I can't verify or test their release yet (though it shouldn't be different than what I uploaded).

John, you need DS 4.6. Is that the program you are seeing the issue in or is it Poser?

edited December 1969

4.6 is indeed what I have.

edited May 2013

encountered a new issue, this happens when you apply just about any morph

If someone else is getting this issue with the hands what I did to fix it is I

First installed created two folders on my desktop, one for each version of the bot for genesis installer, folders names were 1.1 and 1.2

then I installed version 1.1 into the 1.1 folder and the 1.2 into the 1.2 folder

I then moved all the hand parts from the 1.1 folder into the 1.2 folder overriding the files

I then moved the files from the folder I created into my the folder where I have my content

and it works

thank you

John, I think what you are doing is just overriding the new files with the old ones. The result is that it may work in DS but not in Poser. The update should be a full install with everything you need. Are you using Daz Studio 4.6?

Post edited by Parris on
    edited December 1969

4.6 is indeed what I have.

Sorry, I can't reproduce that right now in DS 4.6.0.18. But maybe when I get the update product from DAZ, I'll have a better idea. Can you please provide more details like steps you took to get the issue, Version (build) of DS you are running, what morph you applied, maybe other specs like 64 or 32 bit DS, etc.?

edited May 2013

I'm using 4.6.

I uninstalled the older version 1.1 and then did a clean install of 1.2 and got the issue with the hands.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I updated to 1.2 using the standalone PC installer and Studio is crashing if I try and apply BotGen_All to Genesis.

See attached screen shot.

I could load individual parts with out a problem.

I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del and close DAZ via the Task manager.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit & DS 4.6 32 bit.

Bot_Crash.png
    917 x 572 - 192K
    edited December 1969

There were really no steps. I just loaded the updated files and started applying morphs. You can see the bones in the hand don't follow the morphs at all. I figured it was an isolated issue with the hands and so I just swapped them out for the old ones. its also just isolated to the latest version. I was not getting it before.

• mxstyliemxstylie Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

I am so glad I found this post. I have been wanting to try some shaders with bot genesis and have had no luck with the crazy elbows. I applied the fix yesterday and was finally able to get a good result. I did download and install the files again yesterday but still had to apply the fix. That's fine with me as long as I know how to fix it.

d91.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Nice work mxstylie, did you get the issue with the hands after you did the install of 1.2?

• mxstyliemxstylie Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Nice work mxstylie, did you get the issue with the hands after you did the install of 1.2?

No I did not have any issue with the hands. I hope I don't come across that problem. I loaded the bot gen suit on michael 5 hero in daz 4.6

edited December 1969

Here's a new one.

bot_girl_hack_3.jpg
    1462 x 1413 - 676K
    edited December 1969

mxstylie said:

No I did not have any issue with the hands. I hope I don't come across that problem. I loaded the bot gen suit on michael 5 hero in daz 4.6

The version 1.2 update has the normals issue with the elbows fixed, so there should be no reason to manually reverse the normals as I previously described. Also, the hand issue where the mechanical joints don't follow the character morphs and the application crash are two issues that neither I nor my QA tester can reproduce. So I'm a little confused by the issues that some folks are reporting. I've got another update to submit with a couple more fixes. I'd like to add a fix for the hand issue and the/or the crash to the update if needed, but without a way to duplicate the issue, I don't know how I can help.

One thing that might be worth trying (if you are experiencing one of these issues) is to uninstall the old version of Bot Genesis and also check to make sure you don't have a Parris or Bot Genesis folder in My Library (or other DS Directory name) > data > auto_adapted. DAZ Studio auto generates stuff in there. If you have some remnants of old Bot Genesis laying around, I found that can cause problems as DS may be referencing the wrong asset information.

Also, one of the easiest ways to tell you have the 1.2 update installed is to check and see if you have a second torso figure in the set (says "FOR HUMAN HEAD" on the thumbnail).

If you (JohnDelaquiox, Jay_NOLA, mxstylie) have reported one of these issues in this forum thread (or anyone else who is experiencing similar), please post an update of the status, so I know whether I have something to fix still or not. Thanks!

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I filled a support request 6 days ago on the crashing when trying to apply BotGen_All to Genesis.

I haven't heard back from support about it. The support number is #141371. The issue still isn't fixed.

Will definitely make a follow up post when I do get a reply back.