Titan Volta

Does anybody experienced the new Titan V? How fast is rendering? Or is it better to buy 2 Titan Xp (which are cheaper than one Titan V)?

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

As of right now, Iray (the version that is with Daz Studio) will probably need to be updated too add support for Volta GPUs.

When the GTX 10xx series cards came out we had to wait for an update that added Pascal support.

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128
    JamesJAB said:

As of right now, Iray (the version that is with Daz Studio) will probably need to be updated too add support for Volta GPUs.

When the GTX 10xx series cards came out we had to wait for an update that added Pascal support.

Does anybody experienced the new Titan V? How fast is rendering? Or is it better to buy 2 Titan Xp (which are cheaper than one Titan V)?

Benchmarks already made in other aplications show that the Titan V is max 30% faster. I see no reason to buy it. At least if you dont need those extram memory. 

edited January 2018
    OZ-84 said:
    JamesJAB said:

Benchmarks already made in other aplications show that the Titan V is max 30% faster. I see no reason to buy it. At least if you dont need those extram memory. 

The key will not be in the pure brute force rendering power.  It will be the Tensor cores performing deep learning AI opperations to de-noise the image leading to a much faster completed render.
    So using brute force rendering will be 30% faster... untill the Tensor cores start cleaning up the noisy parts of the render.

Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • JamesJAB said:
    OZ-84 said:
    JamesJAB said:

The key will not be in the pure brute force rendering power.  It will be the Tensor cores performing deep learning AI opperations to de-noise the image leading to a much faster completed render.
    So using brute force rendering will be 30% faster... untill the Tensor cores start cleaning up the noisy parts of the render.

That would be nice.
  • JamesJAB said:
    OZ-84 said:
    JamesJAB said:

So i think we have to wait for a Studio update to see if the Volta has more power for Iray rendering.

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128
    JamesJAB said:
    OZ-84 said:
    JamesJAB said:

So i think we have to wait for a Studio update to see if the Volta has more power for Iray rendering.

Oh wow! If this would work like shown in the video and without loss of sharpness ... i would instantly buy the card and sell my 1080tis ;-) does anybody know if this really will be a feature we will be able to use?

OZ-84 said:
    JamesJAB said:
    OZ-84 said:
    JamesJAB said:

Oh wow! If this would work like shown in the video and without loss of sharpness ... i would instantly buy the card and sell my 1080tis ;-) does anybody know if this really will be a feature we will be able to use?

For that, we will need to wait and see how and if the AI deep learning de-noising makes it down to Volta equipped consumer Iray rendering.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited January 2018

They just have to update the core IRay files, Opti-X is already setup to run. Default is "enabled", I believe. But, this version is only Opti-X 4 I think... (Last I checked, version 5 is only in the SDK for IRay. Thus, unless you remote-render, you will have to wait for nVidia to release Opti-X 5 into consumer builds. Then, Daz has to update the package they build, to include it.)

Actually, you can get that same noise-removal, with cheap code. It just "guesses" the shade, by looking at the adjacent pixels "shade values". It already knows the colors, they are in the image-maps. I do a post-work trick, to do that same thing. However, the card does it a LOT faster than me doing it all by hand. :P

I will have four cards soon. I will post all possible benchmarks, in comparison against my "GTX Titan X".

https://developer.nvidia.com/optix-denoiser

The training data was given to an auto encoder similar to the one described in the paper. The result is an AI-accelerated denoiser which we will include in the Optix 5.0 SDK.

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/profiling-the-ai-performance-boost-in-optix-5/

Even cards without the core will see gains from OptiX 5.

P.S. That video was done with the equivalent of 4x Titan-V's. 

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • I've just got my Titan V and I've just learned that it doesn't work in DS (.123) right now. It sees it in the advanced tab tough... This is the part of the log:

2018-01-10 19:33:06.049 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 388.71
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.049 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 9.1; iray requires CUDA version 8.0; all is good.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.050 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (TITAN V): compute capability 7.0: unsupported by this version of iray, please look for an update with your software provider.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.060 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Using iray plugin version 4.6-beta, build 287000.7672 n, 23 May 2017, nt-x86-64-vc11.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.060 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : GPU 1 (TITAN V) with CUDA compute capability 7.0 cannot be used by iray photoreal.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.158 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 980): compute capability 5.2, 4 GiB total, 3.33002 GiB available

I've just got my Titan V and I've just learned that it doesn't work in DS (.123) right now. It sees it in the advanced tab tough... This is the part of the log:

2018-01-10 19:33:06.049 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 388.71
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.049 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 9.1; iray requires CUDA version 8.0; all is good.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.050 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (TITAN V): compute capability 7.0: unsupported by this version of iray, please look for an update with your software provider.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.060 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Using iray plugin version 4.6-beta, build 287000.7672 n, 23 May 2017, nt-x86-64-vc11.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.060 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : GPU 1 (TITAN V) with CUDA compute capability 7.0 cannot be used by iray photoreal.
    2018-01-10 19:33:06.158 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 980): compute capability 5.2, 4 GiB total, 3.33002 GiB available

Not too wory, your card is not broken
    You are experiencing the same thing that Geforce GTX 10xx users dealt with.  The part where you wait for a Volta compatible version of Iray to come out.

I am not in a rush for the rendering power, in Daz3D, at the moment. It works in other rendering programs... It will be worth the wait, when it comes, it should be great, then it will get better, then mind-blowing... When Optix follows the support releases.

I have two cards now, but I also have a Titan-X, and I will be getting another one of those too. Until my two other Titan-V cards arrive.

I am benchmarking the card now, and having great results. Literally, I am, for once, in the greatest majority of high-end benchmarks. (I should be, this computer cost over $16,000 so far! There is still more shopping to do too!)

edited January 2018

I was told to try and use the "Render Server", as that supports all current NVidia GPUs, but... They (the creators of that stand-alone plugin) also said, "it runs in the same version as the sending platform". So, I am unsure if that relates to graphic-card limits, or just scene software-render limits. I will be trying the "Render server", as soon as my new PSU arrives.

Jason,

Yes, Volta based cards are supported so long as the plugin you are using to drive Iray Server is using Iray 2017.1 or later. Iray Server itself includes multiple versions of Iray which are chosen based on the version needed for the plugin you are using. Iray for Rhino supports Volta and I believe Iray for 3ds max does as well but I am not sure about Iray for Maya, I believe it may not yet be updated to Iray 2017.1.

Regarding the website, thank you for the feedback on what you want to see there, it is in the process of being updated at the moment and we are still adding some of the critical information. Some information such as versions is a bit trickier since we don't want to tie that too directly to releases (since we want it to be possible to push a new release before the website is updated), however the pricing, currently supported hardware etc is a good idea.

Regards

Paul Arden

CEO

migenius

http://www.migenius.com/

https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-server/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/132951/tutorial-iray-server-render-farm-batch-rendering-for-daz-studio/p1

As a precaution, I also purchased two of the new "Titan Xp collectors edition" cards... Naturally, one for Jedi and one for the Dark side. I may get another two, one of each, before getting the other two Titan-Vs, if Daz doesn't update the IRAY version to something more current. (They have Pascal support, so they are not too far behind, but far enough for no Volta support, which has been out for the past six months in IRAY. Though, it could just be that they didn't include the valid card-ID. The Titan card is new, Volta support is not.)

Those are the closest things to Volta speeds, without having the Volta cores. (Faster than 1080 Ti, with the extra GB of VRAM, and more CUDA cores and other processors. 1080 Ti is selling for $1800 due to alt-coin-miners buying them all up. Same situation with the Titan-Vs, which are also sold-out.)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/star-wars-galactic-empire-titan-xp-collectors-edition/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/star-wars-jedi-order-titan-xp-collectors-edition/

P.S. The NVIDIA website is NOT NVIDIA, they are just a "registered reseller". Found-out when I had to call them directly. That is why they have a "2 card limit" on everything. NVIDIA will not deal with individual consumers, unless they are buying 100+ cards.

edited January 2018

Just a quick follow-up reply...

Daz is currently on version "Iray 2017.0.1, build 287000.7672"...

That was for "Fermi support", being the "New minimum" and support for, I assume, 1080 and Pascal. (It just says, "Support for more professional GPUs to be eligible for a professional license has been added.")

I have contacted them about the issue, but have not been answered yet. I hope the next update will be the upgrade to 2017.1. (That is the version with Volta card support and some of the new Optix code.)

This is why I can't wait for support...

Titan-V is essentially a Tesla V100...

https://www.migenius.com/products/nvidia-iray/iray-2017-1-benchmarks

• And another update from my side:

Daz is currently is using OptiX 3.9.1 SDK. Volta support is available in OptiX5.0. I asked them if they're integrating Optix 5, but got no answer so far.

By the way, while reading through OptiX's release notes from 3.9.1 to 5, I noticed lots of bugs and leaks (including cpu fallback issues) were resolved between releases. Waiting for DS to update the optix integration to version 5 actually...

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited January 2018

And yet I am very happy now:

I have two things about Iray. Initially, I dig really hard and found this site: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#earlier_builds

First thing: "Incremented build number to 4.11.0.47" notes include: 

• Update to NVIDIA Iray 2017.1.2 (296300.3713)

Which is what we need for Volta.

Second thing: I checked all visible versions of DS 4. The largest release they had, required at most 166 minor versions, being the version 4.9.3.166. Currently they're implementing 4.11, which is at revision "4.11.0.62". If DS team is not going for another record, at worst case scenario for DS4 builds, we have to wait around 104 working days for get 4.11 released :P I know I am speculating too much, but just my estimations ^.^. This means, within 6 months (can be shorter or longer), we will have this release!

Post edited by Dolce Saito on

If DS team is not going for another record, at worst case scenario for DS4 builds, we have to wait around 104 working days for get 4.11 released :P I know I am speculating too much, but just my estimations ^.^. This means, within 6 months (can be shorter or longer), we will have this release!

Day 365... Where do we stand? Exactly where we were, last year. (Looks at original post date.)

:(

RTX, step in line! (I hope Nvidia doesn't invent a new card, again, before we see last-years cards get support.)

• You do know the 4.11 beta works just fine, right?

• How does Daz run on NVIDIA Volta V100?