Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I find the ticket system really time consuming now. There are too many categories, and on a handheld device its a bit much. Those categories should be internal anyway. The helpdesk person should categorize stuff properly when it comes in so it is properly routed.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

Hey, @divamakeup has a new character, I see her in the scrolling banner when you click the Young and Free page! She's the gorgeous gal with the white eyelashes! Congrats on your first character release! 

Edit, okay, it stopped swirling. It's Lori for Genesis 8

Thank you for mentioning my girl and giving me a shout out! :) It's quite exciting to have my first product in the store! Ahhhhh! I Hope she does well! :) I've grown quite attached to her while making her, she's like "my baby". lol It was a lot of "growing pains" learning how to create a character and I learned a lot making Lori, so I feel like we've been through a lot together. That likely sounds silly, I know. :)

LOL I felt that way about my first published novel. It's still "my baby" and I find it very hard to go back and make any changes to it, though I've learned a lot since then. The other books I can be ruthless with but not that first one!

@Novica Lily is adorable!!!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

I haven't tried Dforce yet, but reading a couple threads. So here's an interesting question. Since hierarchial poses include the ability to save a prop and a character, if the character is interacting with a dforce object, how exactly does that work? . If I remember right, the cube is parented to the girl. If you had a blanket that was going to be dforced onto the cube, that blanket would also have to be parented, to the cube, which is parented to the girl. So if you save those three as a hierarchial pose set, when you hit Simulation, does Dforce simply ignore the girl because it's blanketed to the cube? 

I set up a scene as you suggested (plane as a blanket parented to a cube parented to a girl). As L'Adair said, the easiest thing to do is hide the girl and any clothes, run the simulation, then turn the girl and clothes back on. The blanket will drape on the cube and the girl will appear to be sitting on it (first image). This only works if the parts of the body hanging over the side do not interact with the blanket (e.g., there are no folds under the leg that cut into the leg). The second image shows that if you look closely, you'll see the heel cuts into a fold. Easiest solution is move the girl slightly or change the leg's pose.

With a little more effort, you could add a dForce static modifier to the girl and in surfaces, turn off visible in simulation for skin and nails, then run the simulation. You'll get a similar result.

If that doesn't work, it becomes more complicated as you can't drape the blanket with the girl sitting on it, as it will interact with the girl and get hung up on the legs. So you need to animate the draping with the girls legs being lifted until the sides drape most of the way down, then move the girl's legs into final position while the simulation finishes. This next image shows how the ankle has now pushed the fabric away.

I haven't used hierarchy pose presets before so don't know exactly what all they save. So far, it doesn't look like it saves the dForce information (modifier, settings) but I could be missing something.  

dForce girl on cube.jpg
    800 x 800 - 200K
    dForce girl on cube ankle.jpg
    800 x 800 - 208K
    dForce girl on cube ankle animated drape.jpg
    800 x 800 - 208K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

@ladair     I'm wondering about when saving as a hierarchial pose preset, does turning things off in the Scene Tab (hiding them via closing the eye) interfere with the pose saving?

I don't know. I'll have to turn the beast on and try it.

Okay, here's what I learned:

• The Hierarchial Pose dialog will only show the figure selected and the objects parented to it.
    • Objects can be parented to another object, as long as the "top" opbject is parented to the figure.
    • Objects can all be parented directly to the figure.
    • If an object is parented to the figure, directly or indirectly, it will show up in the Hierarchial Pose dialog, whether or not it is hidden via the Scene tab.
    • All parented objects are selected by default in the Hierarchial Pose dialog.
    • Checked, the "Include Root Pose" option will save the pose position, and applying the pose will move the figure to that position in the scene. 
    • Unchecked, the "Include Root Pose" option will not include the position, and applying the pose will not move the figure to a new location.
    • You must have the same configuration of the objects when you apply the Hierarchial Pose or the figure will be posed without the any object not in that configuration
      • For example, if you save the Hierarchial Pose with the plane parented to the cube, then at some point in the future, parent the cube to the plane and the plane to the figure, the cube and plane will not respond to the Hierarchial Pose.
    • It doesn't matter where the objects are within the scene, if they are parented to the figure in the same configuration as the Hierarchial Pose, they will be moved to correct position for the pose.
    • Other objects parented to the figure will move as usual, being affected by the applied pose only to the extent the figure moves.
      • For example, If a sphere is added to the scene, positioned just behind the figure's head and then parented to the figure, applying the Hierarchial Pose will not change the position of the sphere relative to the figure's head.

I only tried this with a cube and a plane, not another rigged figure. Using a rigged rope, for example, I would expect it to take the shape it was in when the Hierarchial Pose was created, but I haven't tested it.

I hope this helps.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

@ladair     I'm wondering about when saving as a hierarchial pose preset, does turning things off in the Scene Tab (hiding them via closing the eye) interfere with the pose saving?

I think it would be interesting.  

Novica said:
    L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

I think it would be interesting.  

Oops. I added my findings to my previous post, as it was still the last post when I started. Anyway, scroll back up and take a peek.

@ladair    I'm going to add your post to the Reference post on the first page of the thread under Tips: Hierarchial Poses   and read through everything. Thanks for the info, I'll see if I understand all of it. 

edited January 2018

Okay, just read and it and I understand it. (Will miracles NEVER cease?)  Now, what I'm still wondering is how Dforce items would relate to all this. If you had for example, a person, a plane, and a cloth that drapes on the plane (like a table cloth, or a dresser cloth, etc)  I would think, just guessing- the woman would be the parent and the plane the child, then the cloth would be the child under the plane (which is the parent to the cloth.)  Does dforce still work when things like the cloth are children in hierarchial poses? (Like if the woman were leaning on the plane, and the cloth is the child under the plane. The cloth is dforced.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

Okay, just read and it and I understand it. (Will miracles NEVER cease?)  Now, what I'm still wondering is how Dforce items would relate to all this. If you had for example, a person, a plane, and a cloth that drapes on the plane (like a table cloth, or a dresser cloth, etc)  I would think, just guessing- the woman would be the parent and the plane the child, then the cloth would be the child under the plane (which is the parent to the cloth.)  Does dforce still work when things like the cloth are children in hierarchial poses? (Like if the woman were leaning on the plane, and the cloth is the child under the plane. The cloth is dforced.) 

I will go check, however, I don't believe which is parented to what makes any difference; Only what is visible and close enough to come in contact with the dForced object.

I worked with the cube, plane and a G3F character. The plane had the dynamic dForce modifier applied. It didn't matter if the plane was parented to the cube, or the cube to the plane. I even parented the plane to one G3F and the cube to another. As long as the plane was over the cube, it draped over it like a table cloth.

I also found that if the figure, cube and plane are set up the same as the Hierarchial Pose, you can select any of the three, click on the pose icon, and it will be applied to all three object.

Did I answer your question?

@ladair  Thanks for all the testing, really appreciate it. I think my main question is (regarding your last statement, above) - if you set up the G3F as the parent, then the cube as the child, and the plane as the child under the cube- you said it would be applied to all three objects. I was wading through the Dforce explanation a bit- does Dforce only get applied to things that are designated to receive it? Aka, if I had the woman sitting on the cube, and I want the plane to dforce onto it, does the woman have to be out of the way, or will the plane go onto the cube and ignore her? (I know this is a basic question, but there's a lot of technical to wade through and it seems to digress a bit. I'm trying to cut to the chase here, so to speak.)

Novica said:

@ladair  Thanks for all the testing, really appreciate it. I think my main question is (regarding your last statement, above) - if you set up the G3F as the parent, then the cube as the child, and the plane as the child under the cube- you said it would be applied to all three objects. I was wading through the Dforce explanation a bit- does Dforce only get applied to things that are designated to receive it? Aka, if I had the woman sitting on the cube, and I want the plane to dforce onto it, does the woman have to be out of the way, or will the plane go onto the cube and ignore her? (I know this is a basic question, but there's a lot of technical to wade through and it seems to digress a bit. I'm trying to cut to the chase here, so to speak.)

• Parenting is irrelevant to dForce.
    • You must apply a dForce Dynamic modifier to each object specifically, either Dynamic Surface or Dynamic Surface Add-On
    • You can select multiple objects in the Scene tab and apply a modifier to all selected at the same time.
    • dForce will simulate any visible object in the scene that has a dynamic modifier applied, whether or not there is anything visible to collide with.
    • DForce will collide the simulated object with anything visible in the scene that is also in the path of the simulated object.

In the case of the woman, plane and cube, the woman will interfere with the drape of the plane if she is in the "path". For example, she could be to one side, but using wind, the plane would move sideways and could still come in contact with her.  There is an exception to this. If you apply a dForce modifier to the woman, and in the Surfaces->Editor, select all the surfaces and set Visible in Simulation to Off, dForce will ignore her and she won't affect the simulation. But if you decide you want part of her, a foot for example, to act as a collider, you will need to remember to set Visible in Simulation to On, at least for that body part, and then set Dynamic Strength to 0. (Or the body/body part will also be "draped.")

In my opinion, it is "best practice" to hide any object that isn't supposed to be part of the sim. The algorithm will run calculations for any visible object, (unless it has a dForce modifier and parameter(s) are set to prevent simulation,) so it makes the simulation take much longer. (Especially true of hair!)

(And of course, you're welcome.)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Novica said:

Aka, if I had the woman sitting on the cube, and I want the plane to dforce onto it, does the woman have to be out of the way, or will the plane go onto the cube and ignore her? (I know this is a basic question, but there's a lot of technical to wade through and it seems to digress a bit. I'm trying to cut to the chase here, so to speak.)

See what I wrote here. It shows what L'Adair says.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730

Sure is, I'm really confused now.

It was moved to the pas offsite  store. I saw it there but it was a bit outside my price range. Maybe it is back?

It's back, I just don't get why or why it was removed to begin with. Maybe sales at gumroad didn't pay off.

He said too few sales at DAZ. But many people complained when they heard it, probably why it's back.

Hey if anyone buys dirty canal can you tell me if it is resource intensive? I have one set by dreamlight, I can't use, its just too monster, and this looks cool, but just not sure if my machine will crawl if I buy it.

@serenenight   Did you get / see the orange banner for dreamlight? It wasn't there when I got offline at daybreak this morning, so don't know when it first appeared.

Yes! I like the look of his stuff.. I suppose if no one's bought the set, I can return it if its too much.

I haven't bought it yet.  Thinking on it, but won't have time to render in the next few days (have company, and we're trying to move furniture to and from the storage unit today, tomorrow, and get it done before Wednesday, when the HIGH will be 43 degrees. I was in short sleeves today (60's)  May have snow/sleet in Pensacola again Tues night/ Wed morning. 

Um, this is really funky. You know the daily emails from Daz showing you the store promos? Those come from daz3d(at) email.daz3d.com

Did you get the last one from [email protected]?  The Huge 2017 Top Ten Sellers.  I sure didn't click any links of those images. Who the heck is blaveder?

I decided to pass. After inspecting the promo art it.... Looks distorted to me . That yellow barrel in the foreground has odd angles on it. I can wait on it, and see how other people's renders look.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Novica said:

Um, this is really funky. You know the daily emails from Daz showing you the store promos? Those come from daz3d(at) email.daz3d.com

Did you get the last one from [email protected]?  The Huge 2017 Top Ten Sellers.  I sure didn't click any links of those images. Who the heck is blaveder?

I saw that, got vaguely annoyed that the e-mail I use for Daz was getting Daz spam and ignored it - I didn't even open it. It's only now on noticing your post that I've realised that the actual daily Daz promo e-mail hasn't made an appearance today, so I suppose it could be genuine and the result of some kind of glitch (Daz, glitching? Never! laugh). I'm still not opening it though.

How about the Rogue Hunter Outfit with the gold trim of the cape going through/ embedded in his arm? (Second thumbnail.) 

I noticed that. I wonder if they can re-render that?

• It's hard to say if it's actually going through his arm or not from the angle the render is done from.

edited January 2018

Looks like impalement to me. the yellow trim just sort of ends right where his arm is, and the cape starts lower than it would be if it was pressed against the arm. The fabric should wrap around the arm, but instead it looks  to be going through it

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

How about the Rogue Hunter Outfit with the gold trim of the cape going through/ embedded in his arm? (Second thumbnail.) 

I noticed that, too. I'm pretty sure it's going though his arm, but it "could by" just the angle, as Daywalker Designs mentioned.

I really don't like the outfit. I wanted to like it, I really did. But the only thing I can see myself using is the cape. And that not often.

And that brings us right back to the whole, "men's stuff doesn't sell" arguement. If that outfit was as interesting and detailed as say, Fantasy Fighter for Genesis 8 Female(s) I'd have bought it immediately. True or not, it still feels like clothing for the men doesn't get the same attention from Daz as clothing for the women.

Okay. I'll go back to my corner, (and play with the products I already have.) angel

edited January 2018

Well, it was nice to get all the pumpkin products at 70% off. Love these Flash Sales. The Orestes Epic Pumpkin Bundle ($49.95) was $14.99 and that's 3 products, so $4.99 each, the Corn Stalks and Fields ($19.95) was $5.99,  Autumn Leaves ($14.95)  was $4.48,  Harvest Hay Bales ($15.95) for $4.79.  Used the gift card that stacked this past weekend (21%) too. Thank you to the vendors who do the Flash Sales. We do appreciate it. (And I bought a 30% New Release with it.)

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Well, it was nice to get all the pumpkin products at 70% off. Love these Flash Sales. The Orestes Epic Pumpkin Bundle ($49.95) was $14.99 and that's 3 products, so $4.99 each, the Corn Stalks and Fields ($19.95) was $5.99,  Autumn Leaves ($14.95)  was $4.48,  Harvest Hay Bales ($15.95) for $4.79.  Used the gift card that stacked this past weekend (21%) too. Thank you to the vendors who do the Flash Sales. We do appreciate it. (And I bought a 30% New Release with it.)

I've spent most of the day on the other computer, working on a new scene. It was very hard not to take advantage of those flash sales, (I really, really want that pumpkin bundle,) but somehow I managed to go another day without spending any money! Yay, me! lol

I can justify it because I've been a good gal most of the other days the past week.

I'm curious- kind of an informal survey- how many of you actively use Dforce and purchase Dforce items?  I don't, because I haven't played with it, obviously. (And thanks again, RGcincy and L'adair, for insight on how it works.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited January 2018

PURCHASED: I bought one dForce item "deliberately" (to try it out) and have used it two or three times since. I now have four or five more that I bought or came in recent bundles, but they are languishing in my lengthy backlog of things bought but not yet had the time to try out.

USED: I've spent a few hours trying out various existing clothing items to see what will work and what won't. I love the concept, but it's pretty time-consuming and I don't remember when I last completed a proper render as I never seem to have enough time.

Speaking of "good girls" I was doing really well and bought nothing for a whole week earlier this month (after the excesses of December sales) but then this week I went a bit mad - I couldn't pass up Owen 8 Pro and associated freebie bundle (although there was only one I didn't have, actually) and then those stacking and flash sales yesterday. Oops.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • I actually haven't bought any outfits specifically because they are dforce compatable. I have the ones in the Owen 8 bundle, but I didn't really care for the look of the dforce-able parts so I haven't used them. I do however spend too much time trying out pieces i already own in the hopes that they will work with dforce. I haven't had many successes.

This discussion has been closed.