Bryce 1.0 MacWorld ad, August 1994

edited January 2018 in Bryce Discussion

I found this ad in a back issue of MacWorld magazine, August, 1994. The suggested retail price was $199. Which is equivalent to $331 in 2018.

Post edited by dunestrider_b1b336e4ae on

Comments

• Nice!!!

• A great find.

I remember "Kai's Power Tools" being a prominent marketing brand in the early CGI magazines (mostly Mac dominated, of course). Weird to think of Bryce presented as just one of those tools.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited January 2018

Very nice find. I have KPT3 installed, it still works in Bryce 7.1 though it's a bit limitted meanwhile.

KPT3

KPT3.jpg
    593 x 228 - 35K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Here is a review of Bryce 1.0 from MacWorld (Dec 1994), and another ad from MacWorld, Feb 1995.

DEC94review.jpg
    334 x 701 - 223K
    FEB95.jpg
    553 x 770 - 327K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

I remember using Photoshop filters in Bryce 5.5 but I completely forgot how I used them. Anyone with a quick tutorial on how to use them in 7.1pro. I'm still using Photoshop Cs Version 7laugh

• @dunestride: Thanks a lot for sharing. Enjoyed it. The conclusion of the review made me quite a bit nostalgic.

@mermaid010: I'm afraid, I have no idea. Didn't know, that's it is possible to use Photoshop filters directly in Bryce

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Dunestride: thanks, great to see this early history.

mermaid - no tutorial necessary. Look at the picture above with the KPT3 plug in. Click on "Select Plug-ins Folder ..." and navigate to your PhotoShop plug-in folder. If it doesn't appear in the list (like my example above), it isn't compatible. If it appears in the list and you click on it, a drop-down like the one above pops up. Click on a filter and the respective plug-in filter dialog appears.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

Flaming Pear, Kpt 5 and 6 will work in Bryce . My KPT3 installer will not run on Win 10

BrycePlug-ins.jpg
    215 x 97 - 32K
  • Since Bryce was developed for Mac isn't time to get it running on a Mac? Otherwise your business might be considered fraudulant! We have been waiting for a few years now and nothing happen. Time to commit to your customer who are Mac user. We have been waiting a very loooooooong time. In your selling strategy you have never made mention that Bryce 7 Pro will not work on Mac. Is that not dishonesty? Don't come with excuses to sideload using Windows blah, blah, blah. There is a good reason why people have not been using WIndows, especially version10!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    eworks said:

Since Bryce was developed for Mac isn't time to get it running on a Mac? Otherwise your business might be considered fraudulant! We have been waiting for a few years now and nothing happen. Time to commit to your customer who are Mac user. We have been waiting a very loooooooong time. In your selling strategy you have never made mention that Bryce 7 Pro will not work on Mac. Is that not dishonesty? Don't come with excuses to sideload using Windows blah, blah, blah. There is a good reason why people have not been using WIndows, especially version10!

The store page fror Bryce 7 says quite clearly

Bryce 7 Pro is not currently compatible with MacOS 10.7 and above. Please do not use it with these platforms. Bryce WILL work with 10.6.

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro 

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited April 2018

Apple suggests that you just install windows on your Mac/PC.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Mac is no-longer anything more than an OS. All the hardware is just crippled versions of normal PC hardware. (Intel/Pentium, minus the "things that make it faster for windows". Nvidia, minus the "things that make it faster for windows". Etc...)

Though windows will run, it will run slower... Since those parts of the hardware have been removed, or "denied access", on a Mac. It will still do them, just without the acceleration.

I think Apple will eventually just kill the OS and make APPS for windows. It requires less effort and is more cost-effective than trying to reshape all the hardware to run on a MAC/OS. We will be back to two choices, LINUX and WINDOWS. Maybe GOOGLES too...

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497

Apple sold 19.7 million Macs in 2017 (according to thier shareholders report) making it the fourth largest computer manufactoring company in the world. Could Apple kill off the Mac, well sure but they seldom do that to a profitable line of products. Just saying...

• NimosNimos Posts: 39

Hi folks!  Been a long time.  Was expecting to see Bryce 12.5 by now, but no such luck.  Looked at the latest DazStudio ... it looks very interesting.  I think it could be a reasonable substitute for Bryce with the following changes:

1.  Add a terrain generator at least as good as the Bryce one.

2.  Simplify the whole texturing - shading - materials process.

3.  Implement a friendly way to add fog, clouds, haze and suns.

But the way DS saves models, by splitting it up into 3 huge databases, is questionable ... and probably not possible to change.

• I've been using Bryce since version 3 "It Moves" and actually just found a few animations on my old Mac I had made back in the day. The animations still play on my G4 but will not play on Windows 10 OS, as the movie files are on the Quicktime format. I couldn't afford Apple's constant change of OS and computers and most artists aren't rich.

Bryce has come a long way since it's humbling beginnings and does have a ways to go; that being said, I think it's atmospheric qualities and lighting is what makes Bryce stand out from the rest. 

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

as the movie files are on the Quicktime format

QuickTime for windows free version should work? Or something like VLC player

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    akmerlow said:

as the movie files are on the Quicktime format

QuickTime for windows free version should work? Or something like VLC player

Also  Media Player Classic

• Akmerlow, ed3D - Thanks to you both; I get to see my old Bryce animations :-)

edited October 2018

Akmerlow, ed3D - Thanks to you both; I get to see my old Bryce animations :-)

_well,, you're quite welcome    _yes

Post edited by ed3D on
  • I have made very few Bryce animations (and should do more), and I had the opportunity to submit a production logo back in 2002, using Corel Bryce 5. I had just bought it and I had 2 weeks to do test animations before starting the project. 

Eugenius Maximus - cool animation

• mermaid010 - Thanks; I remember it had taken 30 days non-stop to render it :-) 

• mermaid010 - Thanks; I remember it had taken 30 days non-stop to render it :-) 

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

30 days non-stop...that is ridiculous for such a short animation.

Jay

Wow - 30 days, you had lots of patience, smiley

heh I remember when Images took days to render.  At least you could halt a render to cool the computer down and then start up again. 

This one never did get corrected,  I renedered it a square at a time to get it to render at all. 

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/storm-clouds/743711/?p

And that was with Bryce 5

mermaid010 - Thanks; I remember it had taken 30 days non-stop to render it :-) 

_perhaps "they"  meant  hours_

My limit for a still at the time (Bryce 5) was 1 week (7 days), now 24 to 36 hours. Only did 2 or 3 animation.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

OMG you people are killing me cheekysurprise

th3Digit said:

OMG you people are killing me cheekysurprise

You have to remember the computers that were in use in those days.  I started off using Bryce on a i486 dx2 66.  that meant 66Mhz  and as it had built in clock multiplier circuitry it was almost twice as fast and the standard i486. I do seem to remember I had a whopping 16Mb of RAM. I know my colleagues who were admin in the company I worked for (I was Ops not admin) were jealous as I had a better computer just to "play" on than the ones they were using for work.  Nowdays I am probably using what is considered a slow pc as I have an AMD with a 3Ghz quad core processor.