Rigging via transfer utility & other licensing questions

As I understand it, copying the rigging from an existing product to something you model via the transfer utility is acceptable for personal use, but not allowed for anything you distribute (free or for sale). I bought SickleYield's templates for dresses to avoid that problem, but it doesn't include pants. Can the rigging from the Genesis 3 base figures be transfered to pants for a distributed product (free or commercial) without violating the license? If that's not allowed, is there another solution I can use without going through drawing bones and painting weight maps? (My attempts to fix a problem with weight maps was so frustrating, I really don't want to do this myself!)

What about material settings (not maps—I'll either release untextured clothes or make the fabric maps myself)? If I apply a material I've bought and make new maps for it, is that allowed? If not, what kind of approach to settings is recommended? Or if I give away a freebie and want people to use an existing material product, can I leave the settings as is (but not include any maps!), so if the end-user has that package, they can enjoy it without having to do any extra work?

Are there any other licesnsing concerns I should be aware of when releasing and/or selling clothes that I model myself?

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

Yes, you can distribute products you rigged with Transfer Utility from the base figure.  The templates exist for ease of rigging with extra bones, not for licensing reasons (although it's fine to redistribute things you make with those, too).  You're still going to have to do JCMs and FBMs yourself to make the outfit really functional, but you're fine on the base rig.

If you just bought material settings you're probably okay, because those are just dial values in Surfaces tab.  You will find, for instance, that many skin artists are using dial values based on Daz3d's materials settings for their own skin materials for Michael and Victoria 8.

If you bought a shader then no, you cannot redistribute it unless it is specifically licensed for that use (most are not; if they are they should indicate somewhere in their docs that they're a merchant resource).  A shader is different from a material in that it changes the building blocks that appear in Surfaces tab, not just the dial values in the original Uber Iray shader.

You are allowed to release a product based on or requiring another product, but it's usually not a good idea because fewer people will buy a product with a prerequisite.  Most of the time you're going to have to create your own textures and materials entirely.

• Thanks! This helps with a lot of my concerns about what I can and can't do without violating lisences (without actually reaidng all the readmes and EULA, because not a lawyer). 

For the freebies I'm working on, I'm relying on dForce to make the adjustments that more complicated rigging would take care of, but if I decide to do commercial products, I'll sort that out. (Or maybe I'll do it for at least one of my freebies because it has morphs that don't always work together, and I'd like to fix that.) I should have been more careful with my language—I definitely meant material shader settings, not shaders. And I'd never release a paid product that depended on purchased textures because that would be a product that annoyed me :) I think my commercial product taglin will be "products that don't annoy me."