Question about using Willis HD for Genesis 3 Male

I snapped up the Willis bundle the moment I saw it, although he looks far more like a, I dunno, "Daryl" than a "Willis".

When 3D characters so clearly resemble well-known actors, can those 3D characters be used in renders used for commercial purposes, or do they have to be restricted to personal use?

Comments

• I have often wondered that myself.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794

on that matter, so does he have a bit of a grey area or is there a map collection  for the geografted bit too? cheeky

Lookalikes make good money resembling actors in questionable films but yeah its the associations that could be an issue not the actual appearance, doing a vampire render with him holding a stake for instance would be fine, a zombie one the same scenery as series you may need to stick to parody.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Or if the person viewing knows who he is - I thought Willis had a Sean Bean look about the eyes as I've never heard of Norman Reedusblush The bundle is in my cart to check out later.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited January 2018

He plays the best character on The Walking Dead - love Daryl! Here he is in real life:

I do really like the hair and beard that Kool made.

- Greg

ETA: He has another show where he rides his motorcycle around and meets/talks with people as himself. His character is great on the show, and he seems like a really cool guy off the show as well.

Post edited by algovincian on
  • Does the Willis bundle come with a king and a tiger, or has it managed to avoid jumping the shark?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

I snapped up the Willis bundle the moment I saw it, although he looks far more like a, I dunno, "Daryl" than a "Willis".

When 3D characters so clearly resemble well-known actors, can those 3D characters be used in renders used for commercial purposes, or do they have to be restricted to personal use?

Daz would state if there was a restriction on using this or any other look alike character for commercial purposes since they would be responsible first and foremost for any legal repercussions. So if not stated, then you should be fine.

• TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197

It may be commercially acceptable regarding DAZ's product, but the use of the character could run afoul of the Right of Publicity statutes and common law, which relate to the commercial use of celebrity likenesses without their permission. You can read about it at the Internet Law Treatise (hosted by the Electronic Frontier Foundation) here.

• missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    edited January 2018

It may be commercially acceptable regarding DAZ's product, but the use of the character could run afoul of the Right of Publicity statutes and common law, which relate to the commercial use of celebrity likenesses without their permission. You can read about it at the Internet Law Treatise (hosted by the Electronic Frontier Foundation) here.

Yup. And using the character in the WD setting (or still otherwise recognizable as the character from WD) may also still violate copyright laws as owned by AMC (or whoever actually holds the copyright), even if not the PA's copyrights in the 3d character. Discussion of copyrights in fictional characters here.

Post edited by missuskisses on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2018

I don't even know the guy's name and have never seen an episode of The Walking Dead and I knew who it was (Blade movie long time ago....lol). Anyhoo, THIS is the kind of stuff I'm wishing for, though it doesn't have to resemble anyone in particular :). It's already bought.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I am curious about Willis’s knife and crossbow. Are those sold elsewhere?

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited January 2018

I am curious about Willis’s knife and crossbow. Are those sold elsewhere?

Looks like @Polish's set:

https://www.daz3d.com/killzombie-modern-weapon-pack-bundle-02

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    th3Digit said:

on that matter, so does he have a bit of a grey area or is there a map collection  for the geografted bit too? cheeky

Lookalikes make good money resembling actors in questionable films but yeah its the associations that could be an issue not the actual appearance, doing a vampire render with him holding a stake for instance would be fine, a zombie one the same scenery as series you may need to stick to parody.

he doesnt include toast mats?? 

aww was psyched to see new for g3m

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    edited January 2018

I think if you use that character in combination with the crossbow, since he is massively associated with that in Walking Dead, then that is entering dodgy territory (legally speaking). I did notice that without the beard and mustache the character looks a lot less like Daryl.

Post edited by Havos on
  • Havos said:

I think if you use that character in combination with the crossbow, since he is massively associated with that in Walking Dead, then that is entering dodgy territory (legally speaking). I did notice that without the beard and mustache the character looks a lot less like Daryl.

That was the point I was trying to make. If you use the character with all the accutrements that are meant to make him look like Norman, then yeah, danger territory. But if he's clean shaven, shorter hair and dressed differently, he's just different enough from the real deal facially that I doubt there'd be an issue.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Or one could just add tiny subtle changes with morphs and it won't really look like the guy anymore if one is that worried about copyright. That's what I intend to do.

Laurie

• AllenArt said:

Or one could just add tiny subtle changes with morphs and it won't really look like the guy anymore if one is that worried about copyright. That's what I intend to do.

Laurie

That's what I did with the Hillary Duff morphs I used for Crimson Angel.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

Well hopefully this character does sell well and all this legal talk doesn't scare anyone and we see more fan art type characters done to this standard in the future. Great job Kool!

• TomDowd said:

Kool or DAZ might fall foul of that with the marketing, but someone just using the character without relating it to Darryl or the actor probably wouldn't. There are a lot of people who look like that.

• Well hopefully this character does sell well and all this legal talk doesn't scare anyone and we see more fan art type characters done to this standard in the future. Great job Kool!

It is a great job but I'm really waffling on buying it because it's incomplete.

• And for the video game side, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Stranding

so even having it in a commercial game is also out of question.

• And for the video game side, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Stranding

so even having it in a commercial game is also out of question.

You know, I think it's stupid that they think that everyone knows who they are just because they are famous people, or that everyone recognises them on sight. Oh well, this is one less figure that I'm going to buy, whether I actually knew who he looked like before or not.

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited January 2018

If it was strickly used for TWD fanart, it would probably be okay to render it as they have that sort of stuff  on "The Talking Dead". Then again, the model itself might be an issue since it is being sold for profit. This character in particular is an AMC cash cow as it in not part of TWD comic book universe. 

Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I don't watch the show and had no idea who the character was supposed to look like.  I came to the forums to find out cuz I figured someone here would know.  I like the pack because it just looks badass.

Anyone know what the background scene/environment is in the promos?  I'm blanking.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I bought the Willis bundle. Not because I really want to render Daryl, but because I liked the clothing and the hair, and it was cheap to get the whole bundle. I have stop using Genesis 3 male figures, but I can use the skin and the individual items for other characters.

I don't take risks any longer that items will remain in the store. If I see something I like, I buy it before it goes.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    sapat said:

Anyone know what the background scene/environment is in the promos?  I'm blanking.

Maybe After the War by Stonemason?

• This is cool that someone made such a different male character. I have read the thread saying there is not enough men products on the store. And this one is really interesting, even though he resembling a known person in some of the promo images. Seems like some textures, he looks way different. Whachoo Talkin Bout'  Willis! LOL! :)

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    3Ddreamer said:

Or if the person viewing knows who he is - I thought Willis had a Sean Bean look about the eyes as I've never heard of Norman Reedusblush The bundle is in my cart to check out later.

I was reminded of a young Sean Bean as well (didn't know who Norman Reedus is either LOL). It was an instabuy.

• his likeness is being used in a lot of games, movies and other products so it is tricky, fanart may be ok but if you plan on selling any art featuring well that's when it could be touchy. Same goes with some of  the other characters like the Witcher lookalikes but then there's Rebey Sky who sold her likeness too Daz so think she's safe to sell art of and there's probably others. But this lookalike would be cool to have use for all kinds of renders has a great look, it's the normal sale price at moment so anyone know how long that lasts 

• actually looking at him again obviuos Norman but there is a bit of Sean too maybe a combo of the two that'd make it safe to use he'd be great in a fantasy/sci fi scene or a pirate