Why can't DIM pause downloads?

I do realize that it's called "Install" Manager, but this program is also our primary download manager.  While I've never seen a "Pause" button on an installer, I've certainly seen them on most other download managers, such as those on web browsers.  With Firefox, for instance, I can right-click on a download from my account page and I get the menu captured in my attachment.

This is, of course, not a button we'd all use every time we open the program, and we've certainly survived without it for some years, but some of us have wanted it, as in its inclusion in the thread below:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38497/pause-or-quit-for-installer

My content drive had a stroke some time ago, and needed replacing.  While downloading about 20GB of hand-picked files (in order to not download hundreds of older products I don't use anymore, but purchased among those I do still use) it occurred to me that it'd be nice to take a break and watch something on Prime or Netflix while eating lunch.  In order to get enough bandwidth, however, I'd have to throw away a large portion of the hour-or-two I spent browsing and clicking "Download" and start from scratch later on.

So, here I am, staring at DIM and wishing I had a big sunflower-colored "Pause Downloads" button.  Plenty of room down at the bottom of the interface and it'd look so pretty to the left of the more final "Clear Queue."

Your move, DAZ.

Comments

• Click the red button with an X next to the progress bar to stop the download. The main button will then say Resume instead of Download, and does just that.

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited January 2018

Just tried that out.  I get two resume buttons (DIM normally downloads two files at once) and my other downloads keep rolling:

Edit a bit later:  Clicked Resume, and it looks like those two will sit idle until the other 110 remaining are finished.  They also say 0% again, which doesn't inspire confidence.

temp.png
    707 x 680 - 90K
    Post edited by VoltisArt on
    edited January 2018

This is what I'm looking for...couldn't get the font exactly right.  (My edit only shows in the full image, not the thumbnail.)

DIM Pause.png
    711 x 64 - 10K
    Post edited by VoltisArt on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,484
    VoltisArt said:

Just tried that out.  I get two resume buttons (DIM normally downloads two files at once) and my other downloads keep rolling:

Edit a bit later:  Clicked Resume, and it looks like those two will sit idle until the other 110 remaining are finished.  They also say 0% again, which doesn't inspire confidence.

I simply disconnect fron the internet and it pauses/stops and after that I reconnect it and it works as Richard described.

ArtAngel said:
    VoltisArt said:

I simply disconnect fron the internet and it pauses/stops and after that I reconnect it and it works as Richard described.

But when you reconnect, does everything remain both queued and paused?  Either way, that workaround hardly seems the most reasonable way to control the program.

I've just tried it now, and was rewarded by being logged out completely.  The active download offers to resume after logging back in, but the others which were queued are no longer.  Did I leave my cable out too long for this trick to work?

• VoltisArt said:
    ArtAngel said:
    VoltisArt said:

But when you reconnect, does everything remain both queued and paused?  Either way, that workaround hardly seems the most reasonable way to control the program.

I've just tried it now, and was rewarded by being logged out completely.  The active download offers to resume after logging back in, but the others which were queued are no longer.  Did I leave my cable out too long for this trick to work?

No, it doesn't remember what was queued and what wasn't - it's just looking for any partial zips and offering to resume them (as long as the file on the server hasn't changed).

Sounds like an opportunity to improve upon the program, then.  :)