Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I got myself the tutorial how to work with lights from Dreamlight now - it explains every type of light and things like 7 Point Light.
    Sadly, it's only Lightwave and DazStudio - but I guess the mechanics and light-lore should be more or less the same.

Don't get me started on the Super-Spammer that is Dreamlight... >:-(

That said, I do have that LightMaster material and it is okay -- he does work in D|S and LightWave but the material is definitely transposable with Carrara.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Rhiana said:
    I got myself the tutorial how to work with lights from Dreamlight now - it explains every type of light and things like 7 Point Light.
    Sadly, it's only Lightwave and DazStudio - but I guess the mechanics and light-lore should be more or less the same.

Don't get me started on the Super-Spammer that is Dreamlight... >:-(

That said, I do have that LightMaster material and it is okay -- he does work in D|S and LightWave but the material is definitely transposable with Carrara.

Don't get me started on "transposable!" >:-( ;-P

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited May 2013

I had the candles clustered (forked candle stick), if one call it that. Currently experimenting.
    Though it feels as if I am not getting around using distant light without shadow in order to achieve nice ambiance illumination in my room.

And yep, I have to agree with you Garstor. They spam pretty bad, even over and over for the same product which I have bought already.
    But that's what the spam-filter is for ^^

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited May 2013

Here's my attempt at adding life to my scene. I did do a little postwork to paint out a collision artifact between one of the knight's feet and his stirrup, but otherwise aside from converting to .jpg, there was no other postwork.
    looking good EP

Very cool! See Gars... here's where Howler comes in (from a question you've asked in the dogwaffle thread), is that you could do those post work fixes across an entire animation, using rotoscoping for one... but many more other ways as well.
    EP, that render really does it! Q: Did you add any additional illumination, or is that the default scene lighting? Look at that... It's perfect!

I had the candles clustered (forked candle stick), if one call it that. Currently experimenting.
    Though it feels as if I am not getting around using distant light without shadow in order to achieve nice ambiance illumination in my room.

Interesting! I always use spot lights cranked to max on angle, with a huge angle dropoff and distance to about twice to three times the room size, and then crank up the distance drop off. Works beautifully, and you can cast sahdows at the same time! ;-)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Hello dart, the light is using the light dome, the sunlight and the ground light. Did I include the light dome in the last test scene I sent? The only lighting change I did was change the angle of the sunlight.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Did I include the light dome in the last test scene I sent?
    Absolutely. I just haven't loaded knights and their horses or characters of any kind yet. Man, that looks really nice - especially for a default, load and render scene. Just nice!
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:

Interesting! I always use spot lights cranked to max on angle, with a huge angle dropoff and distance to about twice to three times the room size, and then crank up the distance drop off. Works beautifully, and you can cast sahdows at the same time! ;-)

Thanks for the hint. I will try that :)

edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    And yep, I have to agree with you Garstor. They spam pretty bad, even over and over for the same product which I have bought already.

You can't tell him that though! Believe me, I tried... :blank: It was a facepalming experience. I'm waiting for the Model Master 2 training to finish up (actually, a pretty good series...not delivered by Dreamlight...but it is entirely done in LightWave).

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited May 2013

Something from the dogwaffler thread: An excerpt from a series of Bosch derived creatures. This is the Helmeted Bird on the bottom right of the right Panel of Garden of Earthly Delights. It started as a 3d render in Carrara. Those things in it's beak are an ink well and a brush holder - or rolled parchment protector. In the original painting there is a pig dressed as nun dipping her pen into the well, but I received some 'hate" mail last week about my renders so I haven't put her in...... Even I found a pig dressed as a nun offensive. (Original part of Bosch's painting here http://www.bogleech.com/scrapbook/monsters-bird.jpg )

AndrewFinnieBosch.jpg
    1200 x 1397 - 534K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Something from the dogwaffler thread: An excerpt from a series of Bosch derived creatures. This is the Helmeted Bird on the bottom right of the right Panel of Garden of Earthly Delights. It started as a 3d render in Carrara. Those things in it's beak are an ink well and a brush holder - or rolled parchment protector. In the original painting there is a pig dressed as nun dipping her pen into the well, but I received some 'hate" mail last week about my renders so I haven't put her in...... Even I found a pig dressed as a nun offensive. (Original part of Bosch's painting here http://www.bogleech.com/scrapbook/monsters-bird.jpg )

Very nice! I wouldn't worry about hate mail. At least you know you're getting to somebody, right?

edited December 1969

Hah, thanks :) Just with the hate mail I realised that everybody has different levels of what they find creepy. The net is a big place. For me channeling medieval art is no big deal, but I guess if your level of previous exposure to art history was minimal then you might find it confronting. That said, the complaint initially was about an image I posted showing K4 with his mesh expanded to make clothes. I removed his head to show the neckmesh and offended someone. The complaint then expanded to my other recent renders.

Just means I need to put a "Mature Adult Only" tag on my threads.

edited May 2013

head wax said:
    Hah, thanks :) Just with the hate mail I realised that everybody has different levels of what they find creepy. The net is a big place. For me channeling medieval art is no big deal, but I guess if your level of previous exposure to art history was minimal then you might find it confronting. That said, the complaint initially was about an image I posted showing K4 with his mesh expanded to make clothes. I removed his head to show the neckmesh and offended someone. The complaint then expanded to my other recent renders.

Oh man. Some people have issues, really! Hate-Mail because of showing technical details by hiding the head?
    I saw that render with the head-less kid and really thought nothing of it due the technical reason behind it...

I like your helmeted birdy btw. This kind of art always intrigued me. Must have been quite difficult to piece everything together.

edited December 1969

Thanks Rhianna :)

I hadn'tdone any modelling for ages so I thought I would start off with something simple. Carrara's lack of a cut t ool drives me nuts!
    Gah ;) I didn't model the legs and feet or the background stuff. Just the armour and head and thinhgs hanging off it. I pinched the legs from M4. (he wasn't using them)

edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    Oh man. Some people have issues, really! Hate-Mail because of showing technical details by hiding the head? I saw that render with the head-less kid and really thought nothing of it due the technical reason behind it...

It really underscores the power that certain symbols have. Just hearing the words, "pig dresses as a nun" certainly sounds offensive to most - including non-Catholics. But the overall image -- i.e. context -- shows an absurdist scene that really shouldn't bother anyone.

It is fascinating and often annoying to see.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

would certainly not offend me (but then I am not Roman Catholic and tend to laugh at their expense)
    however
    do not DARE show an Islamic depiction on anything with a pig unless you want to end up on a fatwa list!!!
    (prob get moderated for saying it but a fact of personal saftey all artists must consider!)

edited December 1969

would certainly not offend me (but then I am not Roman Catholic and tend to laugh at their expense) however do not DARE show an Islamic depiction on anything with a pig unless you want to end up on a fatwa list!!!
    (prob get moderated for saying it but a fact of personal saftey all artists must consider!)

Exactly! I know we'll have to cut this short since it is on a trajectory far from 3D and DAZ. But this sort of thing fascinates me to no end. To paraphrase a title from an Aussie book I had as a kid...humans are a weird mob. :-)

To make up for this deviation from the topic, I'm going downstairs to work on a new scene to post.

edited December 1969

Yes, those humans are a weird mob. I been noticing that for a while now...
    Thanks for the moral support everyone. Appreciated :)
    I've been mainly mucking around with dogwaffler to try and 'de-cg" my images. Here's the pig. I fluffed her hood - had a go at draping it in Poser cloth room but maybe didn't have enough polys? Not sure . Be good when Carrara gets a cloth room. I can't really understand why it doesnt.... Poser seems to have had one for a while now - it can;t be rocket science. Maybe Daz thinks it won't make them enough money because people won't buy their conforming clothes??? If you are listening Daz, even if you gice Carrara a cloth room I promise to keep buying stuff from you, honest ...

nunpigbyherself.jpg
    1200 x 1529 - 360K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

LOL! I love Nun Piggy!

edited December 1969

:) Thanks Holly . :)

edited December 1969

I was thinking more like this

nun.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

wow, wendy that's pretty good and suitably disturbing ;)
    (looks like me before I put my makeup on the morning)
    mind you, my teeth aren't so good.

edited May 2013

head wax said:
    Yes, those humans are a weird mob. I been noticing that for a while now...
    Thanks for the moral support everyone. Appreciated :)
    I've been mainly mucking around with dogwaffler to try and 'de-cg" my images. Here's the pig. I fluffed her hood - had a go at draping it in Poser cloth room but maybe didn't have enough polys? Not sure . Be good when Carrara gets a cloth room. I can't really understand why it doesnt.... Poser seems to have had one for a while now - it can;t be rocket science. Maybe Daz thinks it won't make them enough money because people won't buy their conforming clothes??? If you are listening Daz, even if you gice Carrara a cloth room I promise to keep buying stuff from you, honest ...

Really cool :)
    Now to think of it - why should anyone dislike a Piggy Nun :D
    There are plenty of children stories and movies and whatnot where animals dress as something...
    I remember a movie (ok that's not for kids, but still good) The Isle of Dr. Moreau... there a goat, even if humanified, assumed the role of a spiritual leader ;-)

Oh and I am on the same boat with conforming clothes - will still buy stuff when Carrara gets a working Cloth Room that also can work with Poser/Daz Dynamic clothing.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited May 2013

head wax said:

Dude, seriously, get over it. Dismissing those who you don't agree with as immature, and denigrating them, and calling them "haters" is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?

Stop playing the poor, misunderstood artist and recognize that there's a whole world of people out there, intelligent, reasonable people, who might generally agree that some things are generally offensive. It takes a lot to offend me, A LOT, but I guarantee if you show a group of average people at the mall an image of dancing kids with no heads they'll say "EEEWWWWW !!!"

Not because they don't have the deep and brilliant background in art history that you seem to think you have, and not because they're immature, but because CHILDREN DANCING AROUND WITHOUT HEADS FREAKS PEOPLE OUT !!!

It makes no difference whatsoever what your intent or purpose of the image, IT FREAKS PEOPLE OUT. Now your friends here might decide to agree with you, and that's typical and expected, but try to accept the fact that maybe not everyone is willing to bend their rules of what makes them sick to their stomach just for you, okay?

And how about this:

Why not apologize for not thinking before posting, and for not warning people, and for not showing a tiny bit of compassion for others? Why not try that? Because I know it means nothing to you, but seeing an image of kids dancing without heads, and some of your other images, made me feel really, really bad. And probably made others feel bad too.

Just show a little forethought and compassion next time, okay? Because that's what a really "Mature Adult" would do, don't you think?

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Dude, seriously, get over it. Dismissing those who you don't agree with as immature, and denigrating them, and calling them "haters" is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?

I had Elton John's The Bitch Is Back playing in WinAmp and this post appears. What an odd coincidence...

There is a pretty clear difference between not agreeing with people and hate mail (which is what headwax was actually referring to). Obviously many artists don't conform to your perspective (and I thank the flying spaghetti monster for that daily); otherwise all art would be bland and boring -- and possibly stamped with "This meets the approval standards of JoeMamma. You have his permission to appreciate it."

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I had Elton John's The Bitch Is Back playing in WinAmp and this post appears. What an odd coincidence...

There is a pretty clear difference between not agreeing with people and hate mail (which is what headwax was actually referring to). Obviously many artists don't conform to your perspective (and I thank the flying spaghetti monster for that daily); otherwise all art would be bland and boring -- and possibly stamped with "This meets the approval standards of JoeMamma. You have his permission to appreciate it."

why in the heck play that piece of junk or any thing of his

if he can't stand the heat don't post the ....

edited December 1969

Apologizing to people because of posting an image, which had a clear technical intention is rather pointless when they hate or dislike your work. They merely lick blood (German saying) and get worse... that's what I learned a long time ago at the web.

Apologizing only makes sense when a dialogue/chat went a bit over board - because chats/dialogues are dynamic. But apologizing for an uploaded picture... to me the technical intent had been more than clear - it could as well have been the clothing without a child, or with an adult in it. A headless mannequin - have seen enough of those as head-less versions, too and no one complains.

Though, I think we better stop discussing this or we have to make a new "post your render" thread, because the Admin locked this one.

edited December 1969

whaaat? did I miss a render by ignoring someone or something?
    confused now %-P

edited December 1969

whaaat? did I miss a render by ignoring someone or something?
    confused now %-P

Just Joe explaining how to have empathy and compassion.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

:grrr: That is scary. and alarming. :ohh:
    That's somehow more alarming than the Bosch creature with the severed feet and the helmet, which is kind of cute (but odd)... Definitely not as cute as the Nun Piggy who I want to go gardening with...

Just... out of perverse curiosity.., did anyone actually post images of headless dancing children...?
    I mean, I could just look back a few pages to check for myself...

(... I might freak out...) :ahhh:

I once did a mouse in a diaper... Old image but I don't see how we can get MORE random...

HMbaby10.jpg
    600 x 600 - 71K
    Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

:grrr: That is scary. and alarming. :ohh:
    That's somehow more alarming than the Bosch creature with the severed feet and the helmet, which is kind of cute (but odd)... Definitely not as cute as the Nun Piggy who I want to go gardening with...

Just... out of perverse curiosity.., did anyone actually post images of headless dancing children...?
    I mean, I could just look back a few pages to check for myself...

(... I might freak out...) :ahhh:

I once did a mouse in a diaper... Old image but I don't see how we can get MORE random...

Fatten him up, hide the safety pins and it could be a Sumo-mouse! :lol: