OT: What's your New Years Eve celebrations?

so it's december 31st here in ol' Aussie land, and the new year is about 12 hours away. What are you planning on doing to celebrate New Years Eve? Do you party? Do you sit at home with a good book and a cuppa tea? Or do you ignore it? 

We haven't celebrated NYE in years LOL I consider it the worst night of the year to go out and do anything. It'll be a quiet one for us - watch a movie, go to bed early. heh. 

Comments

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 2017

Hey, Jaki!! smiley  How are ya? Long time no see, eh?

Well, I hope you have a wonderful celebration and the new year brings you joy and happiness.

As for me, I will be staying in, away from the drunks on the snow covered icy roads...LOL

Happy New Year is Aussie Land! (We still have another day in this dreadful 2017)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Me and my GF are gonna watch some YT, maybe play some video games, she'll crash about 12:30 AM or so, I'll crash about 2 or 3 AM... And that's about it. Our friends are all staying in too, so nobody's doing anything really.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

New Year's Eve has always been boring for me. Of all of them, I enjoyed being a dishwasher (I had to be very fast as quick as they were going through glasses drinking) for all the other revelers while they laughed and danced. The highlight of the evening was when they brought out Baby New Year, who was one of my way to big to be a baby brothers in top hat, cane, and Happy New Year's sash, which made for a big laugh for all the revelers.

• I bought a bottle of this

it looked pretty but probably too sweet

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

We usually stay in, do our thing until about 11:55, when we'll turn on a broadcast station, pour some sparklling apple cider, watch the countdown... and then go to bed, or not, depending on what we need to do the next day.

• Jameson and fall asleep before midnight.

• Infinite eggnog.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Staying in with the GF and some bubbly for sure. it's amatuer night and the last place I want to be is out on the roads with them. Plus the weather is going to suck here in Dallas.

I was a rock musician for 20 yrs so I have had my fair share of wild new years blowouts, so it's not like I am missing out on anything these days, especially the champagne hangover LOL.

I used to want to be in times square and see the ball drop, but after reading about the experience and how there are no bathrooms and you can't leave and how expensive and cold it is, I can't imagine anyone even going, but they do.

Everyone be safe no matter what you do and Happy New Year!

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,633
    edited December 2017

Staying in with the GF and some bubbly for sure. it's amatuer night and the last place I want to be is out on the roads with them. Plus the weather is going to suck here in Dallas.

I was a rock musician for 20 yrs so I have had my fair share of wild new years blowouts, so it's not like I am missing out on anything these days, especially the champagne hangover LOL.

I used to want to be in times square and see the ball drop, but after reading about the experience and how there are no bathrooms and you can't leave and how expensive and cold it is, I can't imagine anyone even going, but they do.

Everyone be safe no matter what you do and Happy New Year!

Ooof, I did the NYC Ball Drop with my sister about 3 years ago. We got up there around 11 in the morning and the police were putting up barriers already, and once we got a spot, yeah we were stuck for the rest of the day. Where we were standing was near a Pizza Hut, but we both agreed that paying $10 for one slice of pizza was just a step too far, but luckily we'd brought water and snacks. And I have to say once things got going, it was fun and I could ignore the fact that my shoes felt like they were full of blood and my face was freezing. But for all the achy feet and general exhaustion, it was a good thing to do once and then cross it off the bucket list.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

We usually just stay in on our own and then go outside in the street just as it hits midnight and exchange New Year's greetings with any neighbours who have come outside too. This year my son and his girlfriend will be staying over with us, which promises to be fun. The weirdest New Year we had was when we noticed the bathroom carpet was damp and realised we sprung a leak up there. Quite a big leak, somewhere beneath the floorboards. The weight of the water was causing the kitchen ceiling below to bulge ominously (just above the sink, fortunately) and with the landlord's number going to voicemail and no-one available to come out on New Year's Eve anyway, my husband had no choice but to poke holes in the ceiling to let the water escape rather than risk the ceiling collapsing. Every year, the New Year's Eve that we spent watching it raining over the kitchen sink gets a mention :)

Happy New Year, everyone :)

• ButchButch Posts: 797

I'll be sitting in front of a fan trying to stay cool - being a small town, not much happens here after sunset.  Apart from dogs barking, that is.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    jakiblue said:

so it's december 31st here in ol' Aussie land, and the new year is about 12 hours away. What are you planning on doing to celebrate New Years Eve? Do you party? Do you sit at home with a good book and a cuppa tea? Or do you ignore it? 

We haven't celebrated NYE in years LOL I consider it the worst night of the year to go out and do anything. It'll be a quiet one for us - watch a movie, go to bed early. heh. 

I'm with you. The last thing I wanna do is go out in the cold with a bunch of drunks on the road ;). Me and the hubby like it quiet now that we're older than we used to be and tend to stay in and stay warm. LOL.

Laurie

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

I've been home all year, it's party weekend ;) Day 1 and my friend and I are going to watch shirtless boys dance and hoping to get a chance to win money or the car at the Masterbeat Game Show cheeky

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

I've an assortment of snacks, a couple of splits of bubbly and some orange juice, and I plan on watching a couple of the bowl games I've recorded on the DVR yesterday and today.

• I also have this

• can throw up in bucket afterwards 

• happy new year everyone

i am just going to stay home and watch movies

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

...gonna stay home. Have a bottle of Amontillado, my "stinky fish" (herring in wine sauce), cheese, and crackers as well as three bottles of whisky of different types, I'm  set.  No obnoxious drunks in bars, no scary drunks behind the wheel, no waiting an hour or more for a taxi as the buses stop running before the festivities end since it is a Sunday night

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

We've just had a summer storm roll through and now the humidity is through the roof! 
    We've plenty of munchies and drinks in supply,so we'll channel surf until we find something and just before midnight go outside to watch the fireworks off the Broadwater....Happy New Year to All :) 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Ha! That sounds like me. laugh I've got two fans on me right now - and it's almost 11pm. We hit the river yesterday with the dogs, trying to stay cool. Had about 20 mins of peace in our favourite spot...then were inundated with about 3 different groups of people. :sigh:  Stinking hot, the Wet Season is super late, and it's just going to get hotter. 

Small town here too - it's dead quiet out there. Can't even hear any parties going on anywhere. I'm about to make a cuppa tea and jump into bed with my book - hubby's on the xbox. LOL We leave partying on NYE up to the young'uns ha ha. 

Butch said:

I'll be sitting in front of a fan trying to stay cool - being a small town, not much happens here after sunset.  Apart from dogs barking, that is.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,137
    edited December 2017

Car still buried in snow so definitely not going anywhere, usually don't anyway.  Snack on cheese & crackers, ham bits, artichoke hearts & some good chocolate all day. yes No champagne though, drank it on Christmas.  Egg nog is gone too, so I guess it will be instant pink lemonade or four month old prune juice ("the drink of warriors"). frown  Being snowbound gets old after a while. indecision  No desire to ever do the Times Square thing.  Grumpy old men have to pee and sit too often (which is a big contributor to why they are grumpy).

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Home with my parents this year. Gonna toast the new year in with some sparkling cider and watch the ball drop. Then eat my lucky meal of black eye peas rice collard greens candied yams and cornbread and ham on new years day

• Usually hubby and I have a quiet evening and are asleep before midnight.  Tonight we're going to see the new Star Wars movie with my parents.  And still be home and in bed before midnight. lol

edited December 2017

...I'll also be celebrating the fact the it will be the end of all those "donate", "pitch in", and "contribute" before midnight emails I've been getting the last several days.  Woke up today to over 230 emails and the count is somewhere over 400 by now.  Usually on a Sunday it's light maybe 25 - 30  when I wake up in the morning and just a trickle the rest of the day.  Not only do I not I have the money to spare, but not into spreading my card # all over the net.

The price of being a socially conscious and concerned citizen I guess.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

Got my new 4 terrabyte backup drive.  Running a disk check and then on to backing up DAZ Studio and all my content creation files.  Woohoo.  Netflix, eating, bed early.  Sounds perfect!  :-)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

We're making a big batch of spaghetti - so we'll have some yummy spaghetti and then spend the evening curled up on the couch watching movies. :)

We might take a break from the movies around midnight to turn it to watch the ball drop and laugh at the stupid people standing around in Times Square watching the ball drop when the wind chill is supposed to be -7 °F there at that time. Brrrrrr I hope a lot of people stay home, for their health's sake. 

...making a white sauce and garlic chicken pizza for later.  Have a 6 pack of Bridgeport Ebenezer Stout to wash it down with.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,484

We're making a big batch of spaghetti - so we'll have some yummy spaghetti and then spend the evening curled up on the couch watching movies. :)

We might take a break from the movies around midnight to turn it to watch the ball drop and laugh at the stupid people standing around in Times Square watching the ball drop when the wind chill is supposed to be -7 °F there at that time. Brrrrrr I hope a lot of people stay home, for their health's sake. 

Last year some of the performes had no coat on and was dressed skimpier than a Daz model. 

Hubby and I will watch sometimg amazing, and eat junk (on diets lol). Hubby is on meds, so can't drink, but I will have mimosa or a few drinks so when the dogs freak at the fireworks set off two doors down, I won't scream as loud when they bounce off my lap onto the headrest of the loveseat. Maybe I'll get drunk and sing Kareoke outdoors, at the top of my out of key lungs, to serenade/accompany their fireworks. lol

• ButchButch Posts: 797
    jakiblue said:

Ha! That sounds like me. laugh I've got two fans on me right now - and it's almost 11pm. We hit the river yesterday with the dogs, trying to stay cool. Had about 20 mins of peace in our favourite spot...then were inundated with about 3 different groups of people. :sigh:  Stinking hot, the Wet Season is super late, and it's just going to get hotter. 

Small town here too - it's dead quiet out there. Can't even hear any parties going on anywhere. I'm about to make a cuppa tea and jump into bed with my book - hubby's on the xbox. LOL We leave partying on NYE up to the young'uns ha ha. 

Butch said:

Well, there was one loud boom at about 10pm, then back to the normal. Even now at 10am it's quiet, just cicadas and birds. 

Happy new year everyone!  So far, 10 hours in, it seems very much like the last one.