Help with Iray Shader base on older content -SOLVED!

JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
edited December 2017 in The Commons

Hello. smiley

I have loaded an older hair figure onto Genesis 8 female. I applied the Uber Base shader to it and did a test render but it renders completely white. The texture files are loaded so I don't understand what is happening here. 

There are no lights in the scene and I am only using the default spot render. Does anyone know what is happening here? Thanks.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Try changing color to Scatter (rather than scatter & transmit), or putting the hair color into translucency.

• Thank you, OSO! That did the trick! smiley

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I'd wonder how it would render without using the Uber base on it - it should render the same as you ar enow seeing, but I'd still be curious.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I don't own that hair, and the one hair I do own by the same PA of about that vintage (Valkynne) doesn't do that to me, but I have seen stuff like that when I try to use CTRL-Click (retain maps) with some Iray Hair shaders. What fixes my problem involves plugging the hairs diffuse maps (looks like this one has multiple diffuse maps, maybe one for each surface?) into slots like translucency, glossiness, top coat, etc. Basically, take each surface, see what the diffuse map is, and try plugging it into other slots in the surfaces tab (NOT opacity of course).

• It did render before adding the shader base. I'm just trying to understand exactly WHAT that shader base does! LOL

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Whenever you do Scatter & Transmit, which some people swear by, it can REALLY amp up the Translucency color outrageously.

Glad to be of help!

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 2017

Very good to know OSO! Thank you. smiley

And YES, I think once I learn it, Iray and I are going to be very good friends. smiley

Iray.JPG
    1365 x 736 - 145K
    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

It did render before adding the shader base. I'm just trying to understand exactly WHAT that shader base does! LOL

When you render without converting the materials, they're automagically converted to Iray, BUT you have no control over the process; many changes to 3Delight parameter settings don't translate well into consistent changes to the final auto-converted Iray render. If you manually convert to Iray first, you start with the same conversion, but you can tweak the settings to improve the render.

E.g. that change to the Scatter & Transmit setting can't be done in 3Delight because the parameter doesn't exist — you'll be stuck with the ghost-white look in your first image.