Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2017

This is my version of a classic Gary Larson "The Far Side" cartoon.  The characters are all Daz original generation 3, and I plan to use them all in a graphic novel.  Here we see a bit of how each one reacts to the world.

The protagonist is called Herk (the freak character).

The workflow was basically Carrara>GMIC (Lylejk filter)>Comic Life (for captions only)>PSE (for bottom title only)>Fotosketcher (Pencil sketch 1filter).  I did some stuff with Ron's backgrounds, which looked really cool, but ultimately decided it looked too complicated for a cartoon.

The four ancient proclivities smaller.png
    1200 x 1630 - 6M
    Four personality types.jpg
    736 x 981 - 165K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Awesome UB!!! Just fantastic!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Awesome UB!!! Just fantastic!

+1 yes

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 2017

UB - awesome work - have a good one!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited December 2017

Merry Christmas - it's unwrap presents time down in Oz !!!!!!

Santa 1_DAP_Camille_Sharp 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Ho! Ho! Ho!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Great posts, UB and Bunyip. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

• Dart, Bunyip, Phil, Diomede - thanks a bunch!

Bunyip, your Santa made me laugh.  Nicely done.  Good to see you back!

Wow Bunnyip02! That's Awesome!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

...and that goes for all of you, too!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Stezza said:

surprise

nuh... it's the one around the corner from me lol

Thanks for the comments....

the new 3DU parrot... needs fixing to work in Carrara.

drop parrotts! almsot as danferous as drop platapii :)

Stezza said:

kitbashed the parrot.... dunno why 3DU didn't add a cocky comb in the first place... maybe they will release a freebie add on for it.

great illustrative effect on this

Stezza said:

how cool... can Carrara users get 50% off for Christmas?

You never know if you don't ask yes

Actually why not, it's Christmas! Ok, it is 35% (but DAP is now 10% off so it will come close with additional 35%) and it is valid till 26 dec, here is offer code: CAR-45K2D47WJ6

The discount apply to everything on my site. Happy Holidays and stay safe!

thanks for that!! I went to grab it but unfortunately the Australian dolla r isrubbish at the moment :(

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

how cool... can Carrara users get 50% off for Christmas?

You never know if you don't ask yes

Actually why not, it's Christmas! Ok, it is 35% (but DAP is now 10% off so it will come close with additional 35%) and it is valid till 26 dec, here is offer code: CAR-45K2D47WJ6

The discount apply to everything on my site. Happy Holidays and stay safe!

thanks for that!! I went to grab it but unfortunately the Australian dolla r isrubbish at the moment :(

I spent a few hours with the trial - what a wonderful program you have written!

Hey, that is very nice of you!  However, I would like to give it a proper trial first, when I have the time to devote to it.  Probably will kick myself later, but it is what it is.

Test it first. I'll give you raincheck.

wow, that's beautiful

This is my version of a classic Gary Larson "The Far Side" cartoon.  The characters are all Daz original generation 3, and I plan to use them all in a graphic novel.  Here we see a bit of how each one reacts to the world.

The workflow was basically Carrara>GMIC (Lylejk filter)>Comic Life (for captions only)>PSE (for bottom title only)>Fotosketcher (Pencil sketch 1filter).  I did some stuff with Ron's backgrounds, which looked really cool, but ultimately decided it looked too complicated for a cartoon.

well you've really nailed this style, congrats!

Bunyip02 said:

and to you too,- what, you got presents? remind me to be good next year :)

Bunyip02 said:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Looking forward to more great cool stuff being posted next year .... keep it coming yes

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

and to you too,- what, you got presents? remind me to be good next year :)

Welcome home, HW! Oh, and don't forget to be good throughout the year! ;)

• head wax said:

well you've really nailed this style, congrats!

Thanks HW!  Probably some luck involved.

luck? = hard work and intelligence plus passion :)

this is one for the present challenge

used filter forge and waterlogue and photodonut for the post work

I also rendered out many carrara passes including reflection so I had a lot of tools to work with in post (diffuse, colour, coverage, shadows, object passes etc)

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

headwax,

There's a vertical line on the right that appears to be a mirror, it runs through the entire image ... ?  At first I though it was a shadow in the area below.

Since I love the subtle things in your work as well as your style, I am trying to understand how it works in the image or story.

mirror.jpg
    407 x 720 - 199K
    cdordoni said:

headwax,

There's a vertical line on the right that appears to be a mirror, it runs through the entire image ... ?  At first I though it was a shadow in the area below.

Since I love the subtle things in your work as well as your style, I am trying to understand how it works in the image or story.

hey , nicely spotted, it's an example of lazyness I am afraid: :) I wanted more pictorial space on the right side to balance the composition so I flipped the edge to get that mirror effect - it only works when there is not much detail - so big fail for me :) !!!

But I should tell you that there is an other dimension lurking just out of reach of the viewer... the Carrara 9 dimenssion :)

thanks for the c and c too :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I was going to comment that it could be another dimension to the afterlife .... eeeek! devil

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:

I wanted more pictorial space on the right side to balance the composition so I flipped the edge to get that mirror effect - it only works when there is not much detail - so big fail for me :) !!!

I've spent plenty of time fixing stuff that probably no one will ever see. I think if I produced more work, I'd have to find a way to be quicker too.

• head wax said:

hey , nicely spotted, it's an example of lazyness I am afraid: :) I wanted more pictorial space on the right side to balance the composition so I flipped the edge to get that mirror effect - it only works when there is not much detail - so big fail for me :) !!!

Maybe a lazy slip, but I had never considered the idea of flipping the edge to expand the size, so it was a big win for me!

The edge flip didn't bother me, but I liked the landscape version better.  Awesome textures as usual.  It always impresses me that I can magnify any part of your image and it remains consistent and smooth throughout.

cdordoni said:
    head wax said:

I wanted more pictorial space on the right side to balance the composition so I flipped the edge to get that mirror effect - it only works when there is not much detail - so big fail for me :) !!!

I've spent plenty of time fixing stuff that probably no one will ever see. I think if I produced more work, I'd have to find a way to be quicker too.

Oh it's all about work flow as you know. I started flipping the edge thing for book covers when I didn't leave enough room for the text at the top. The Text Covers the Bad things :)

head wax said:

Maybe a lazy slip, but I had never considered the idea of flipping the edge to expand the size, so it was a big win for me!

The edge flip didn't bother me, but I liked the landscape version better.  Awesome textures as usual.  It always impresses me that I can magnify any part of your image and it remains consistent and smooth throughout.

thanks UB , that's very kind :) You could get around flipping the edge by doing a re render via - duplicate camera and move it slightly to right etc - 

I like the closeup landscapoe version one better too

'Out with the Old, in with the Old"

Filter Forge, Topaz simplify - custom filter, water logue and Photodonut, plus a little hand painting to clean it up

This is the old Bear that comes with Poser - it doent seem to have pose limits on it though - any clues welcome :)

Very nice!

Hmmm... no limits, eh? I'll have to fire up my old copy of Poser 7 and see if mine has any.

thanks Dart, yes from memory the Ram (?) behaves the same way (Thing with curly horns :) )

This discussion has been closed.