Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited January 2018
    head wax said:

thanks Dart, yes from memory the Ram (?) behaves the same way (Thing with curly horns :) )

Nice renders as well !!!!!

800px-Battering_ram_head.JPG
    800 x 450 - 56K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    head wax said:

thanks Dart, yes from memory the Ram (?) behaves the same way (Thing with curly horns :) )

Ever try posing (by hand) the Millennium Dragon (1 or 2)? Yeah... there's limits, but it was a very strange thing - which is what prodded me to make that animation kit for it. Load the dragon in and its default pose leaves this lump o' funnily flattened lizard into the scene! LOL It's really easy to screw it up. Just start rotating joints around... bam... yike, what on Earth have I done?!!! LOL  Took a good pile of practice to finally get it (posing by hand) to a smooth understanding.

Huh... A Ram thingy!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

heh, that's classic - is that one you rigged up in the shed ? :0

edited January 2018
    head wax said:

Ever try posing (by hand) the Millennium Dragon (1 or 2)? Yeah... there's limits, but it was a very strange thing - which is what prodded me to make that animation kit for it. Load the dragon in and its default pose leaves this lump o' funnily flattened lizard into the scene! LOL It's really easy to screw it up. Just start rotating joints around... bam... yike, what on Earth have I done?!!! LOL  Took a good pile of practice to finally get it (posing by hand) to a smooth understanding.

ah yes, this particular series of poser animals are like that - there is a cat that when you apply the supplied poses goes into anaphylactic shock...

ps sorry I don't really use the draagon

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:
    head wax said:

ah yes, this particular series of poser animals are like that - there is a cat that when you apply the supplied poses goes into anaphylactic shock...

That sucks! At least when a pose is applied to Dragon, the pose applies and works.

How are the new Poser figures?

head wax said:
    head wax said:

ps sorry I don't really use the draagon

Don't apologize to me, but yourself! It's your loss! LOL

head wax said:
    head wax said:

That sucks! At least when a pose is applied to Dragon, the pose applies and works.

How are the new Poser figures?

don't use them I am afraid. I bought poser for the rigging bizzo and the cloth sim and the fitting room and the comic renderer and the transfer morphs from figure to clothing

------------------------

1) I use the rigging thingo to eg remove a dog's body and save out the head with morphs still working  (but now I can use Studio for that)

2) Now I don't need the cloth room because of VWD (yay!!)

3) The fitting room doesn't really work as I'd like (lack of experience on my part?)

4) Haven't really used poser much to set up scenes so havent used the Comic renderer....

5) The transfer morphs command comes in handy occasionally

-----------------------

I can't really see a reason to buy the next poser sadly

Yeah... come to think of it, I don't recall using the content either. I'll have to dig back in and have a look.

I'd like to get a new Poser one day. We'll see. I wanted the current one for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. That and the walk designer, but that likely hasn't changed since my version of 7?  It's kind of a bummer. Poser isn't quite as popular since DS is free, but now Daz is going in directions I'm finding hard to follow. Maybe more feel the same and will head back to Poser?

Yeah... come to think of it, I don't recall using the content either. I'll have to dig back in and have a look.

I'd like to get a new Poser one day. We'll see. I wanted the current one for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. That and the walk designer, but that likely hasn't changed since my version of 7?  It's kind of a bummer. Poser isn't quite as popular since DS is free, but now Daz is going in directions I'm finding hard to follow. Maybe more feel the same and will head back to Poser?

the general ambience in their forum seems to be that of slashing their wrists...... Smith Micro's latest advert campaign goes something like 'POSER ISNT DEAD!"

It's pretty expensive compared to Free. But when it comes down to it, it actually is a pretty good deal for what it is. It has a lot of great tools and I'd love to try that new toon render you have. Still... I really don't miss it very much... not with Carrara in my hands. Not sure if I would like it better than DS, but probably.

Lightwave 2018 is out now and has a spanking new PBR engine that can also render toon. It's a fascinating thing they have there, and only twice the price of not-yet-dead Poser.

Lightwave 2018 New Cel shading tools

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Hmmm. Might try Lightwave when my Modo sub runs out - it's cheaper and it looks like it handles absolute scaling better (my biggest gripe with Modo)

edited January 2018

Lightwave always reminds me of Lightray 3D, one of the first 3D programs that I bought.

Lightray 3D.png
    1923 x 1040 - 190K
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

heh, that's classic - is that one you rigged up in the shed ? :0

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Battering_ram_head.JPG

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I used to have Inspire 3D which was a cut down version of Lightwave - was that back in the 1990s? Am I really that old?!!  It was really cool for the time, but I'm not sure that it hasn't been somewhat overtaken by other packages. (I may be wrong, just an impression).

edited January 2018

Critter - post work using Topaz Impression

Critter 2-Topaz Impression Workflow 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M

Scary lookin' feller!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    head wax said:

'Out with the Old, in with the Old"

Filter Forge, Topaz simplify - custom filter, water logue and Photodonut, plus a little hand painting to clean it up

This is the old Bear that comes with Poser - it doent seem to have pose limits on it though - any clues welcome :)

Magical.

Speaking of "hand painting," have you used Artrage?  I've seen some very nice painting examples from it.  Filters are nice, but I suspect that I need to learn to paint, and I wonder the best course of action to take.

I feel lucky to live in Wisconsin. Very artistic place - probably because it's so picturesque?

We have "Art Clubs" or groups or whatever that get together and paint together. No training or anything required. Just join in, show up and paint. Often they'll have inspirational themes to help guide each other with ideas, but even then each person is free to follow that or not. just paint.

I've never been part of any of those - I started painting when I was really pretty young. I never really got serious into it, but I still feel that I'm a decent painter. Sculpting with stone was a lot more fun for me - now I have some decent chunks of alabaster laying around waiting for me to pick up my hammer and chisel again, but when I get time to play, I run for my Carrara machine. I'm always fighting to try and get to my wonderful Carrara machine!!!

I'd love to eventually get to where I can have enough stuff ready for Batch Queue rendering that I can sculpt some stone again. it'll happen. I'm finding it easier and easier these past few weeks to get enough Batch Queue ready to last a day or two. That's nice.

edited January 2018

It's pretty expensive compared to Free. But when it comes down to it, it actually is a pretty good deal for what it is. It has a lot of great tools and I'd love to try that new toon render you have. Still... I really don't miss it very much... not with Carrara in my hands. Not sure if I would like it better than DS, but probably.

Lightwave 2018 is out now and has a spanking new PBR engine that can also render toon. It's a fascinating thing they have there, and only twice the price of not-yet-dead Poser.

Lightwave 2018 New Cel shading tools

nice looking, bet you could do it in Carrara too :) with DCG's toonpro

edited January 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

that Topaz impression does an amazing job Topaz Simplify BuzzSim tweaked a little can bring some stuff out as well

edited January 2018
    head wax said:

'Out with the Old, in with the Old"

Filter Forge, Topaz simplify - custom filter, water logue and Photodonut, plus a little hand painting to clean it up

This is the old Bear that comes with Poser - it doent seem to have pose limits on it though - any clues welcome :)

Magical.

Speaking of "hand painting," have you used Artrage?  I've seen some very nice painting examples from it.  Filters are nice, but I suspect that I need to learn to paint, and I wonder the best course of action to take.

thanks! Yes a little.... Kenmo seems to be a bit of a gun with it (see artforum NPR thread)

I did a reasonable overpaint of a pirate with my first try - it's a guy with a wooden leg - long john silver, will dig him up

you just make a layer with your render (which you have alreadyt worked on with other NPR filters) then make a new layer and use the colour pick up tool

OR (better) is to make a duplicate layer of the first then paint into it - and adjust opacities at the end (or erase crap parts and repaint them again)

I read that if you make a new layer UNDERNEATH your render and pait on that with Oil Paints ??? the texture of the brushstrokes will come though on your render ???

have a read of this, I think there are gems? Edit link added https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?46981-Kenmo-s-Art-May-12-2017/page17&s=7f9274d31f98924af72f28312221c3f4

this is my overpaint - hopefully it'll click for big?

Image may contain: one or more people

edited January 2018

I feel lucky to live in Wisconsin. Very artistic place - probably because it's so picturesque?

We have "Art Clubs" or groups or whatever that get together and paint together. No training or anything required. Just join in, show up and paint. Often they'll have inspirational themes to help guide each other with ideas, but even then each person is free to follow that or not. just paint.

I've never been part of any of those - I started painting when I was really pretty young. I never really got serious into it, but I still feel that I'm a decent painter. Sculpting with stone was a lot more fun for me - now I have some decent chunks of alabaster laying around waiting for me to pick up my hammer and chisel again, but when I get time to play, I run for my Carrara machine. I'm always fighting to try and get to my wonderful Carrara machine!!!

I'd love to eventually get to where I can have enough stuff ready for Batch Queue rendering that I can sculpt some stone again. it'll happen. I'm finding it easier and easier these past few weeks to get enough Batch Queue ready to last a day or two. That's nice.

Hey Dart - it was 47 degrees here today - just right for sculpting... when I did a lot of modelling (anim8or) long time ago I always had the feeling that I can translate it easily into sculpture - wish I had tried! It seemed to be a mindset with a click between right and left brains - mainly when modelling organics over mechanicals 

this a little kid I modelled for some reason , cant recall Blender being in the equation tho

Boxing Poltergeist Mr Bones from headwax on Vimeo.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks for the tips and example HW!  There were definitely some gems in there.  I am slowly starting to understand.  The pirate looked good in Artrage.  Philebus is currently doing some stuff that I like as well.

Probably a naive question, but are there any specific brush types that work better than others for oil painting?  I see some very nice looking brushstrokes on tutorials, but they NEVER tell you exacly what brush they are using.  When I choose a brush, it never looks as good.

Also, are you using a mouse or a Wacom pen?

Thanks for the tips and example HW!  There were definitely some gems in there.  I am slowly starting to understand.  The pirate looked good in Artrage.  Philebus is currently doing some stuff that I like as well.

Probably a naive question, but are there any specific brush types that work better than others for oil painting?  I see some very nice looking brushstrokes on tutorials, but they NEVER tell you exacly what brush they are using.  When I choose a brush, it never looks as good.

err sorry this thread has the gems https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?46981-Kenmo-s-Art-May-12-2017/page17&s=7f9274d31f98924af72f28312221c3f4 The link didn't go through.

i use a Wacom , not sure of the brushes sorry! Probably used stock standard? 

Hey HW, it's -6 F here. Great for... Carrara work indoors!!! ;)

I don't see a picture in your message, just a big patch of nothing.

I used to think that sculpting in stone would make my life easier in 3d modeling. Kinda... but for the most part, no. The only thing that translates is the understanding of dimension. But there's a certain feel to chipping away material to get a clump to take shape and using the fingers to feel the accuracy of the shape and so on... it's an entirely different experience. Sculpting stone also doesn't come with multiple undos - or one for that matter. One person told me that getting a new stone is the undo button. That's not true either. Each stone is quite different. Yopu should try it. I bet you'd be excellent at it. Get a piece of alabaster at an art store or college. They'll also have a nice simple set of tools for you, or will know where to get them. It might look funny at first, and some folks might disagree, but the simple set of a small chiseling hammer and three or four chisels is a great set. You'll eventually find other things around the house that help with the rest - like a spoon for scrapping certain parts smooth, for example. Alabaster is an excellent substance and is translucent. Put a light under your work and watch it glow! You'll love it... I know you will!

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

that Topaz impression does an amazing job Topaz Simplify BuzzSim tweaked a little can bring some stuff out as well

Topaz Simplify is on the to-do list, looks like some nice filters/effects in that package.

head wax said:

err sorry this thread has the gems https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?46981-Kenmo-s-Art-May-12-2017/page17&s=7f9274d31f98924af72f28312221c3f4 The link didn't go through.

Some cute Welsh Dragons in this thread.

https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?53655-Little-Welsh-Dragons

Hey HW, it's -6 F here. Great for... Carrara work indoors!!! ;)

I don't see a picture in your message, just a big patch of nothing.

I used to think that sculpting in stone would make my life easier in 3d modeling. Kinda... but for the most part, no. The only thing that translates is the understanding of dimension. But there's a certain feel to chipping away material to get a clump to take shape and using the fingers to feel the accuracy of the shape and so on... it's an entirely different experience. Sculpting stone also doesn't come with multiple undos - or one for that matter. One person told me that getting a new stone is the undo button. That's not true either. Each stone is quite different. Yopu should try it. I bet you'd be excellent at it. Get a piece of alabaster at an art store or college. They'll also have a nice simple set of tools for you, or will know where to get them. It might look funny at first, and some folks might disagree, but the simple set of a small chiseling hammer and three or four chisels is a great set. You'll eventually find other things around the house that help with the rest - like a spoon for scrapping certain parts smooth, for example. Alabaster is an excellent substance and is translucent. Put a light under your work and watch it glow! You'll love it... I know you will!

heh, love that edit undo suggestion :) :) yep there's a few sculptors here making magic !! I think my abilities would suit playdoh !!!  Ah that link, it's vimeo, I had another go and the link comes up but not the vid ??? 

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Topaz Simplify is on the to-do list, looks like some nice filters/effects in that package.

it's simple but does have a good comic filter - not as rough as the filter forge one

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Some cute Welsh Dragons in this thread.

https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?53655-Little-Welsh-Dragons

wow, that's some paint jobs - thanks for the heads up - really like the out of focus effect too

This discussion has been closed.