FLUIDOS plugin for Carrara -- version 1.4 update

Comments

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Alberto kindly sent me his Fluidos files which I have loaded in Carrara Extensions but problem still occurs when I run sim - ie ."Error - File cant load fluidsim.dll file. 

I even tried the AMD version of fluidsim.dll - just in case crying  . Now await further guidance from Him up above ! or any one down below.laugh At least this gives me plenty of time to read the manual !!!

I should confirm I am using Carrara 8.5Pro Build 19 64bit

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    007 Try the Gpu caps utility and report back what you see on the Gpu and opencl pages. Install the latest intel video drivers, to get the intel gpu opencl driver updated if needed. Try the new intel DSA utility https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
    007, the other usual tricks: Disable anti virus tools Scan the drive for errors Shut down all other apps that may interfere Run Carrara as admin
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381
    0oseven said:

Alberto kindly sent me his Fluidos files which I have loaded in Carrara Extensions but problem still occurs when I run sim - ie ."Error - File cant load fluidsim.dll file. 

I even tried the AMD version of fluidsim.dll - just in case crying  . Now await further guidance from Him up above ! or any one down below.laugh At least this gives me plenty of time to read the manual !!!

I should confirm I am using Carrara 8.5Pro Build 19 64bit

The error you get cannot be caused by the GPU version, neither is an OpenCl issue, because at this point, the plugin has not performed any calculation. Instead, something is blocking the dll loading. I suggest to try this advices of 3drendero:

3drendero said:
    007, the other usual tricks: Disable anti virus tools Scan the drive for errors Shut down all other apps that may interfere Run Carrara as admin

I don't have a problem with objects being ignored, but I've got a terrain made up from multiple pieces, and no matter how well I intersect them, it still seems to find places to leak out. In the end I had to extrude one piece into a continuous channel. Only then would it fill with water!

Maybe the intersections are so thin that they are smaller than the cell size, as Phil said.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Bearing in mind Alberto's comments I ran the Intel support assistance which did identify a needed update for Intel graphics so did that. Have no Antvirus installed and have turned off Windows Firewall.

Ran Carrara as Administrator but still getting dll error. angryOther programs installed have not previously interfered with Carrara or other plugins. I imagine KBOOM is following this discussion so wonder if he is still experiencing problem. ?

• @alberto - this looks fantastic - thanks so much for developing and sharing

@philW - thanks for putting together that detailed tutorial so we can get our feet . . . wet :)

Completed first part of tutorial and added a cylinder for water to flow and splash through

Reading through the manual and eager to try out more stuff! 

edited December 2017

007 try to install the intel cpu opencl drivers too.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime

Give me a screenshot of gpu caps opencl and gpu pages. I am guessing your intel/nvidia combo may interfere.

I have a few random apps problems like this on my laptop, when both intel+nvidia gpus are enabled, but no issues when only nvidia is enabled.
    2 GPUs of the same brand are problematic, 2 GPUs of different brands are a nightmare.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited December 2017

well I had a really weird openGL viewport glitch that saves apparently too

only a selected item is visable and the only way to see the whole scene is group everything and my gizmo has vanished for the existing items

adding new objects have gizmos but it is damned hard to move stuff around blind

thanks to the Octane viewport being unaffected I could using the motion parameters

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 2017

Fluidos waterfall exported to DS and rendered in Iray:

(approx 45,000 polys after some cleanup and untriangulating. Includes a header stream not visible in this render.)

Camera 13.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great work Mr Tango!

• I creat a few cubes and scaled them to serve as a floor and walls.  Have angled the walls and rotated the floor and walls as a group so water should flow toward a narrow opening.

I then put a curved cylinder at that opening.

Added thickness to all of the objects.

When I run the simulation it works reasonably well, except that some of the water goes into the curved cylinder and pierces straight through the opposite side.  Other parts of water follow the curve as intended.

Any suggestions as to parameters to play with?

(I'm running this with .5 cell size, 2 subdivisions, -32 z force for gravity in the Fluid domain settings, 24fps)

Thanks for suggestions.

I creat a few cubes and scaled them to serve as a floor and walls.  Have angled the walls and rotated the floor and walls as a group so water should flow toward a narrow opening.

I then put a curved cylinder at that opening.

Added thickness to all of the objects.

When I run the simulation it works reasonably well, except that some of the water goes into the curved cylinder and pierces straight through the opposite side.  Other parts of water follow the curve as intended.

Any suggestions as to parameters to play with?

(I'm running this with .5 cell size, 2 subdivisions, -32 z force for gravity in the Fluid domain settings, 24fps)

Thanks for suggestions.

The cell size is big, I guess, Try a smaller one.

It's beautiful !

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Alvin  :)

Thank you so much for this great plug-in,. ,. and thanks to PhilW for the great example video's.

A couple of questions....

If I have several "Fluid Sources" in a domain,. is there any way to get different shaders (different colours of fluids)  eg: one colour per source

I want to have several colours of fluids interacting

Is there a way to have multiple "Fluid domains" interacting,  EG: oil and water, or ...raspberry ripple ice cream swirls.

Would it be possible to create a VDB export option for the final meshes which would allow us to import the results (via Octane) as VDB animated sequences, which could have individual shader options.

Thanks again

Andy :)

• @Alberto - thanks for this fantastic plugin.  Smaller mesh size fixed my leaky pipe and kept water going in right direction.

3DAGE said:

Alvin  :)

Thank you so much for this great plug-in,. ,. and thanks to PhilW for the great example video's.

A couple of questions....

If I have several "Fluid Sources" in a domain,. is there any way to get different shaders (different colours of fluids)  eg: one colour per source

I want to have several colours of fluids interacting

Is there a way to have multiple "Fluid domains" interacting,  EG: oil and water, or ...raspberry ripple ice cream swirls.

Would it be possible to create a VDB export option for the final meshes which would allow us to import the results (via Octane) as VDB animated sequences, which could have individual shader options.

Thanks again

Andy :)

Interesting questions, Andy.

In a simple simulation, two sources shares the same geometric object. The simulation visualizer, e.g. the object with the FluidS modifier has as default one shader; you can change this manually, but I think it's a very tedious work. However, there are better ways; i.e., if you have two sources, you could simulate first the one and then the other in two separated bakefiles. Next, you should put two visualizer in the scene, each one connected with its own bakefile system. So each visualizer could have its own shader, they could use the transparency channel to mix colors.

I think there are some other tricks to get similar results.

About the second question. It its possible, to some extent, to get two or more fluid simulations interacting. Run the first fluid simulation, then enable the visualizer. Set up the second fluid simulation with the visualizer of the first one inside the Fluid Domain (geometry and hierarchy) as an other solid obstacle. The second simulation will interact with the results of the first. If you wish, the first simulation could be reran to get more interaction. You could put temporal solid obstacles and forces to get more mixing. It is an iterative process.

About the third question.: no, by now. But I'm curious about VDB, I'm looking at it for some time now.

0oseven said:

Bearing in mind Alberto's comments I ran the Intel support assistance which did identify a needed update for Intel graphics so did that. Have no Antvirus installed and have turned off Windows Firewall.

Ran Carrara as Administrator but still getting dll error. angryOther programs installed have not previously interfered with Carrara or other plugins. I imagine KBOOM is following this discussion so wonder if he is still experiencing problem. ?

I didn't forget you. I'm already thinking.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    0oseven said:

However, can say that graphics is Intel  except on software I nominate in the Nvidea Control Panel and Carrara is set for NVidea.

Just as a couple of ideas:

• Could you also nominate the Fluidos plugin in the nVidia panel?     Or:
    • Could you tell it to not use your Intel GPU at all, and only use the nVidia? (This is what I'd have done right from the start if I owned a GTX780M)
    PhilW said:

Great work Mr Tango!

+1! yes

That is So Cool! Not just the waterfall, but the whole scene just looks marvelous! Bravo, Sir!!!

• video click

several duplicates of the same domain with different starts and completions but I think and animated texture based on a fluid underneath one might have been a better idea

So cool! Bravo, Wendy!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

(approx 45,000 polys after some cleanup and untriangulating. Includes a header stream not visible in this render.)

Superb scene Tim!

Is Fluidos the waterfall only or also the river?

What kind of texture are you use for the river? (personally, I prefer a glass texture rather a water texture).

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The river is just a vertex box (I think solids work better for water than simple planes. I set it as an obstacle in fluidos, so the water bounced up from it, giving more "splash". I used a tiling sea texture at about 15% intensity, which I also ran through Photoshop's Normal filter. I think I started from the base water shader, but tweaked the refraction weight somewhat. I haven't applied any fresnel, but I may well do so - I do keep messing with the shaders, lol

• What steps have to be taken to use/activate a Fluid Source of Sink?

(I added a fluid source or sink, parented to my fluid domain, and left 'fluid source' box checked in the effects tab) -

then ran the simulation, added a second fluid domain to visualize - but didn't see any fluid generated.

edited January 2018

That sounds like the right steps - did you ensure that the Fluid Source was inside the volume of the Fluid Domain? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • @PhilW - thanks for confirming steps; silly mistake on my part - I didn't adjust completion from 1-100% on FluidS modifier for second Fluid Domain.

Glad you got it sorted.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

I switched to Mac, and have setup xcode, I need to download the sdk and try compiling.  If I get it figured out I can see about helping to compile on mac.

• Compiling a Carrara extension is not very complex. The problem here will be more about compiling the different DLL of the simulation library.