OT: Baby it's COLD Outside

ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
edited December 2017 in The Commons

Hey, has anyone else in the US noticed that it's, like, REALLY cold outside? They're saying in the midwest and northeast this coming week it will be in the single digits or even below zero? I searched around and found a National Weather Service report that in the last week over 50 all-time cold temperature records have been broken across the US, and it's gonna get worse all this week. Apparently it has never been even close to this cold. Weird. 

By the way, anyone remember that song, "Baby it's Cold Outside"? Or whatever the name was... smiley 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbuBubZ1yE

Post edited by ebergerly on

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Wow, they're saying in Boston they think the highest daily temperature on New Year's Day will be lower than the all-time record. Something like the low teens. They say that's colder than the previous record in 1924. 

Be careful folks. Apparently at those temperatures you can get frostbite in less than 30 minutes if you don't have a hat and gloves. 

• It's 3F where I am right now.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

whats the season called we are in ?

Ruphuss said:

whats the season called we are in ?

So if it's winter we shouldn't be surprised by all-time record low temperatures? 

• Especially when our average temperatures are 20+ degrees warmer than what we're currently experiencing for this time of year?

It's not usually THIS cold until late January, early February.

Really weird weather. A week or two ago they got snow in south Texas and throughout the South. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited December 2017

Near Buffalo here and it's 12F at 9:00 this morning.  It was predicted to be 8F but I stayed warm and toasty in bed too long.  Missed it!   The snow is so cold that it's coming down really slowly as teeny, tiny flakes like frozen mist.  I'm sure the Eskimos have a word for this type of snow but it's been snowing like this all night and only accumulated about a half inch.

In the snow department, Erie, Pennsylvania is just 60 miles west of me and they got over 4 feet of snow yesterday.  We have only about a foot on the ground now despite that big snowstorm last week that melted off just before Christmas.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Yeah, I'm sure the polar bears are happy. But on the other hand I've never understood how critters who aren't used to this cold can survive. Heck, if we get frostbite after 30 minutes, how do animals like deer and whatever survive? Do you guys have deer around Buffalo? Seems to me they don't have much fur, especially compared to a winter coat like we humans wear. And birds, and so on. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited December 2017
    ebergerly said:

Yeah, I'm sure the polar bears are happy. But on the other hand I've never understood how critters who aren't used to this cold can survive. Heck, if we get frostbite after 30 minutes, how do animals like deer and whatever survive? Do you guys have deer around Buffalo? Seems to me they don't have much fur, especially compared to a winter coat like we humans wear. And birds, and so on. 

Hollow fur, fluffy feathers, knowing the place to shelter.  Built for the weather over a million years.  But the smart birds fly south.  I've seen herds of deer grazing in snowy farmer's fields in zero weather.  The deer are OK but the hunters are all bundled up with electric socks and pocket warmers. indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • I suspect the last time it was this cold in this part of the US was the 1770's...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

It is cold out.  I liked the baby it is cold out until I really listened to the lyrics.  She wants to go home but her boyfriend wants her to stay.  She just wants to go home.  I do not know if he is concerned about her safety or he just want to have fun.

Anyway I almost called out of work but it is too late now as I am at the mall where I work.

It is cold out.  I liked the baby it is cold out until I really listened to the lyrics.  She wants to go home but her boyfriend wants her to stay.  She just wants to go home.  I do not know if he is concerned about her safety or he just want to have fun.

Over the years I've learned that it's best to take song lyrics for what they are...written by someone who is just trying to make rhymes that somehow match the music. If I dismissed every song with annoying lyrics I'd probably stop listening to music altogether. And at the end of the day, as with most songs, the only thing I remember about that song is "baby it's cold outside". smiley 

Oh, and it was Michael Buble...lyrics or not, the guy is incredible, and one of my favorites. 

ebergerly said:

Over the years I've learned that it's best to take song lyrics for what they are...written by someone who is just trying to make rhymes that somehow match the music. If I dismissed every song with annoying lyrics I'd probably stop listening to music altogether. And at the end of the day, as with most songs, the only thing I remember about that song is "baby it's cold outside". smiley 

True.  I like the phrase baby it is cold outside too though I hate cold weather.

ebergerly said:

Oh, and it was Michael Buble...lyrics or not, the guy is incredible, and one of my favorites. 

He is great but I am probably reading too much of my bad experience with men into it.  Well not all men are like that I guess.

Back on topic might not go to the movies tonight if weather is bad.  I really want to see star wars.

• The song was not written by Buble. It was written in 1944 when women were EXPECTED to say no. To not say no gave you a...reputation.

She really doesn't want to go. She wants to stay with him, but she's worried that people will talk. He's offering her excuses to tell others to keep her good reputation intact. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    ebergerly said:

He is great but I am probably reading too much of my bad experience with men into it.  Well not all men are like that I guess.

Back on topic might not go to the movies tonight if weather is bad.  I really want to see star wars.

That's funny. My GF and I were going to go see it today and she didn't want to go because it is 34'F out with a wind chill of 25'F, LOL

I like cold as long as I don't have to go to work in it. I always liked the idea of moving to Alaska as long as I didn't have a commute to work daily..

edited December 2017

Yeah, it kinda reminds me of back in the day when my Mom used to teach me to treat women as very special, and almost put them on a pedestal, and protect them. So part of my enjoyment of that is the obvious (to me, at least) realization that he also thought it obvious he wanted to protect her, as well as be with her. And of course she wanted that too, so it's good all around.

Not so much anymore I suppose. Kinda sad. 

And for those of us who remember that song long ago, who was the one who originally sang it? Was it Dean Martin?   

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited December 2017

its -24C here right now - 31C with the windchill.. was colder yesterday -29c , -38C windchill . Got down to -40C a few horus south of us, -45C with windchill.. 

(and for those who do not do Centigrade, that's - 11.2F and -23.8F for today. Yesterday was -20.2F with a -36.4F windchill)

Post edited by hacsart on

Never mind...I did a wikipedia and turns out everyone in the universe EXCEPT Dean Martin sang it smiley

Sure sounds like a perfect one for him. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2017

Near Buffalo here and it's 12F at 9:00 this morning.  It was predicted to be 8F but I stayed warm and toasty in bed too long.  Missed it!   The snow is so cold that it's coming down really slowly as teeny, tiny flakes like frozen mist.  I'm sure the Eskimos have a word for this type of snow but it's been snowing like this all night and only accumulated about a half inch.

In the snow department, Erie, Pennsylvania is just 60 miles west of me and they got over 4 feet of snow yesterday.  We have only about a foot on the ground now despite that big snowstorm last week that melted off just before Christmas.

Wow, that makes me really glad I'm in southern Pennsylvania. LOL

About the animals surviving...we have this stray cat we've been feeding for about 8 months (I think we've been adopted) and we bought it a heated house. Cats can easily freeze to death or get frostbite in these temps. 

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    ebergerly said:

Never mind...I did a wikipedia and turns out everyone in the universe EXCEPT Dean Martin sang it smiley

Sure sounds like a perfect one for him. 

Dean has a version also

Yeah, that's the one...thanks smiley

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

-2'F at the moment, with an expected high of 9'F.  Cold for this time of year, but I'm pretty sure I remember something comparable in years past... though that may have been a week or three later in the year.

We're debating on going to the mall to catch some end of year clearance sales.  Have to weigh the bargains against the cold and the crowds...

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017
    Hanabi said:

The song was not written by Buble. It was written in 1944 when women were EXPECTED to say no. To not say no gave you a...reputation.

She really doesn't want to go. She wants to stay with him, but she's worried that people will talk. He's offering her excuses to tell others to keep her good reputation intact. 

Yep. She says "My maiden aunt's mind is vicious" and "There's bound to be talk tomorrow" and "I ought to say no" (but never says no) for a reason. She's not the one who wants her not to be there.

And it is really freaking cold lately. Not hitting historic lows here though.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Get used to record-breaking temperatures - they'll be happening a lot more in the future. As well as longer and more severe storm seasons. 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Lows for the next few nights - 27C with windchills to -35C or so.. and its snowing again...

"Sé eorðe sy forstlic, wintergewæde bé on sé feldes , gewilcumian sy sé foranlencten.
    The earth is frozen , winter-garbed are the fields, welcome will be the early spring.

• ButchButch Posts: 797
    hacsart said:

Lows for the next few nights - 27C with windchills to -35C or so.. and its snowing again...

About 70c warmer here surprise  and we've given up on anything that resembles precipitation sad

• I'm in the US, and it's unseasonably warm here. A week ago, we had our first snow of the season (about a month later than usual), and it's all melted now, with no more in the forecast.

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    I feel you! I had to wear a long-sleeved shirt to work today! I just checked, and with the wind chill it feels like 61. Brrr. The high for the week is only supposed to be 67. It's predicted that we won't break 70 until late January! Thank goodness we only have to endure this winter for only a month or so!