Chinese Health Balls and Case

Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
edited December 2017 in Freebies

Also called Baoding Balls, Chinese Medicine Balls, and Chinese Meditation Balls.

Chinese Health Balls are held in one hand and rotated around each other using the fingers and thumb.

I made the iray mats then took a stab at making 3DL mats - lighting makes a big difference in both - in 3DL there are no reflection maps for the balls, so youll need a 360-degree environment to provide proper reflections. Most of the time you can remove the normal maps in iray and still get the same look.

I didn't get these beta tested, wanted them out in time for Christmas, so if there are any problems, let me know.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/90112/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Chinese-Health-Balls-SW

Edit: Should have mentioned before: License permits commercial and non-commercial renders and also interactive 3D use.  Basically you can use this in the same way you can use stuff bought at Daz + an interactive license.  Just don't try to sell this as a Daz/Poser package.  Attribution is appreciated but by no means expected nor required.

Iray:

3DL:

Hope you enjoy them,

Merry Christmas,

SW :)

Edit: Just uploaded a revised 3DL material setting for the balls - thanks to Kyoto Kid and all the others who helped me find the right settings.

Post edited by Silent Winter on

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Quick 3dl render.

Turns out, the reason the reflection renders so dark is the IOR. If you want the bright mirror finish, the IOR must be 0. The rest of the settings can stay the same - even Glossy Metallic works. :)

Not sure if it is just me, but ball 2 loads with an error and just displays a cube placeholder.

HealthBall.jpg
    600 x 600 - 113K
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited December 2017
    Gone said:

Quick 3dl render.

Turns out, the reason the reflection renders so dark is the IOR. If you want the bright mirror finish, the IOR must be 0. The rest of the settings can stay the same - even Glossy Metallic works. :)

Not sure if it is just me, but ball 2 loads with an error and just displays a cube placeholder.

Thanks for looking at that - I left the IOR at default, guess that was a mistake.

Not sure why Ball 2 isn't loading - it was working fine when I zipped it up but I just deleted and unzipped it and getting the same 'uv-set missing'

I'll try saving it out again - thanks :)

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited December 2017

Okay - I fixed the issue with the missing uv-set, and I tweaked the 3DL materials settings on the balls.

Hopefully this is good to go now.

Thanks to all for your help in this thread and the other.

Edit: Definitely getting beta-testers next time ;)

SW

Sorry to say, I'm still getting the error on ball2.

On the other hand, ball1 works fine - even with Glossy Metallic. I did take the liberty of subdividing for a smoother appearance.

HealthBall2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 85K
  • Gone said:

Sorry to say, I'm still getting the error on ball2.

On the other hand, ball1 works fine - even with Glossy Metallic. I did take the liberty of subdividing for a smoother appearance.

Okay - this is driving me nuts - I made sure the uv-set was still in there, zipped it up - and now it's not there.

Thanks so much for checking this for me.  I'll keep trying...

• Okay - I really really double-checked the zip this time - the files should all be in there.  I've no idea why they disappeared from the zip last time though.

They're still there as I look LOL.  Maybe wait a few hours for the updated files to propogate to a server near you. (or wait til another day since it's Christmas already here ;) )

Merry Christmas,

SW

Success!

HealthBalls3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 240K
  • Gone said:

Success!

Hurrah!  Thank once again yes

Who's that gettting reflected?

That's just my attempt at a Gwen Tennyson character (from the original Ben10 cartoon) made with the original Genesis.

• Ah, cool.  Ben10 was a little after my time but I know of it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Thanks, the red box looks very much like a set I had many years ago.

• How incredibly cool!  I'm sitting here looking at my set that I keep on my desk to stretch my hands from arthritis.  Thanks so very much.