Gen4 morphs Vs the Genesis morphs

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok, peopel keep saying to use the GenX plug-in to get morphs from Gen 3 & 4 characters onto Genesis...in all honesty, I do not want to spend $30 on a plugin

Alright, so I'm wondering

You have the morphs from V4 & M4 and all them (the elite, Morph++, muscle morphs and some other...those are the only 3 mains ones I've ever used for Gen4)

And they brought out the Genesis morphs, the head, body, muscle morphs.

Are those Genesis morphs equal to that of what the V4 & M4 ones were?

I'm going to remorph all my characters by just comparing the shapes and morphs I did on the Gen4 models.

Or is the Genesis morphs missing that were part are part of the Gen4 morphs.

I see no point in the GenX plugin. It's just an easier way of getting around from not having to remodel a character a again and just use a dial to make the shape faster

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited May 2013

I don't remodel my characters into Genesis, so I can't tell how exactly those morphs match, but if you have M4/V4 Iconic shapes you can try to transfer your morphs without GenX.
    These are my attempts

Post edited by Kattey on
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, I have the icon shapes for Gen4, along with Gen 5 (was debating on Gen 3)

But the Genesis morphs (body, head, muscle) Are they meant to be that of the Gen4 versions?

From what I understand, the GenX is just a plugin to move an already made character over into an easy use dial.

Or is Gen missing the elite morphs?

I mean, there has to be around it without people having to use the plugin. In fact, I find it that they should ofter the Gen4 morphs as a product, instead of needing a plugin

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Ok, peopel keep saying to use the GenX plug-in to get morphs from Gen 3 & 4 characters onto Genesis...in all honesty, I do not want to spend $30 on a plugin

Alright, so I'm wondering

You have the morphs from V4 & M4 and all them (the elite, Morph++, muscle morphs and some other...those are the only 3 mains ones I've ever used for Gen4)

And they brought out the Genesis morphs, the head, body, muscle morphs.

Are those Genesis morphs equal to that of what the V4 & M4 ones were?

I'm going to remorph all my characters by just comparing the shapes and morphs I did on the Gen4 models.

Or is the Genesis morphs missing that were part are part of the Gen4 morphs.

I see no point in the GenX plugin. It's just an easier way of getting around from not having to remodel a character a again and just use a dial to make the shape faster

The genesis morphs are fine in their own right; however, if you're trying to convert your morphs from Gen4 to something similar, you're going to find that the Genesis morphs come up woefully short. That's why people recommend GenX for converting your characters.

If you're starting with new characters from scratch that does not need to look like anything from Gen4, then you wouldn't really need GenX.

edited December 1969

I never did anything to extreme in a morph for my characters. I used the elite morphs...that's about the only thing I worry about

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Vata_Raven/The War amongst Gods/Tears of Heaven/RahuValentine02_zpse84fd0c6.jpg

that's about my standard in morphs on my end.

I mostly play with the cheek bones, chin, face shape, height, eyes, some muscle

edited May 2013

But the Genesis morphs (body, head, muscle) Are they meant to be that of the Gen4 versions?
    No, they are their own morphs. They are similar but not the same as Gen4 versions, especially named characters like David 5 (who has a similar theme but is a different face and figure morph from David 3, same with Stephanie 5). Muscularity and Creatures are more similar to Gen4 morphs but again, they are different in some way.

From what I understand, the GenX is just a plugin to move an already made character over into an easy use dial.
    Well, no, in theory it can move any morph.

Or is Gen missing the elite morphs?

In Genesis you can combine any morphs so you might be able to recreate Elite morphs with V5 Supermodel and Evolution morphs, but there was no specific "Elite" products for Genesis yet.

I mean, there has to be around it without people having to use the plugin.

Yes and I just shared with you my way. Did you click on the link I gave? It is a tutorial how to do that without GenX.

In fact, I find it that they should ofter the Gen4 morphs as a product, instead of needing a plugin
    Who "they"? GenX isn't made by DAZ3D but by Dimention3D, a completely different guy. DAZ3D offered Iconic Shapes for V4, M4 and so on as morphs. Add to them Genesis Evolution and free morphs and you might end up with a very similar character.
    GenX is for people who either don't want to recreate their morphed characters manually, or can't find a needed morph in Genesis morphpool.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

I meant Daz putting out a morph pack of the Gen4 stuff...not just shapes. Shapes are only a base start in getting the character look. As in they transfer the morphs on over

edited May 2013

Genesis has its own morphs. What the point of having three (Genesis, M4, V4) near identical "Pear" morphs? I don't think that morphpack would be very popular so I sort of understand DAZ3D unwillingness to do that much work and testing when there are methods to transfer them in other ways.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

I meant Daz putting out a morph pack of the Gen4 stuff...not just shapes. Shapes are only a base start in getting the character look. As in they transfer the morphs on over

To be honest, GenX'd or Gen 4 morphs aren't as good as doing a Genesis morph from scratch, since you're losing detail on the transfer. Also you can come up with much better bodies without relying on transferring gen4 stuff, especially when you get the hang of using a modelling tool to sculpt what you need. Using the Gen 5 shapes are a much better starting point than the older ones.

edited December 1969

To be honest, GenX'd or Gen 4 morphs aren't as good as doing a Genesis morph from scratch, since you're losing detail on the transfer. Also you can come up with much better bodies without relying on transferring gen4 stuff, especially when you get the hang of using a modelling tool to sculpt what you need. Using the Gen 5 shapes are a much better starting point than the older ones.

No, but they are a starting point. What I was doing before my tower couldn't handle daz anymore. I had Gen and my M4/V4 modeled character right next to each other working out the detail.
    edited December 1969

No, but they are a starting point. What I was doing before my tower couldn't handle daz anymore. I had Gen and my M4/V4 modeled character right next to each other working out the detail.

Ok, but the genesis morphs have a much lower amount of morphs than morphs++, so don't expect to get anything really close unless you're going to take it into a modeling tool.

• edited December 1969

Something that may help is to expand your repertoire of genesis morphs.

The free Dietrying 182 morphs transferred from V4 to Genesis are a great resource, found here at sharecg.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited May 2013

GenX is handy for transferring Gen3\4 character sets and expression sets as well. Provided you transferred all the Morph++ first. I find GenX extremely handy.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

If you have specific characters or shapes you had for V4, then GenX does a very good job of transferring those over to genesis. I have several custom modeled morphs i did in 3DSMax along with other ones for V4 that i would probably never be able to recreate by hand for genesis, so i see a big point in using GenX, I have also found that adding small parts of genesis morphs to my GenX sculpted figures has really brought out some great results. For instance, I hate the way all the breast morphs look for genesis and V5. I spent a bit of time on V4 getting just the right look from many different morph packages along with my own and to be able to use them on Genesis is perfect!

I can't imagine never having purchased GenX, it has been one of the most useful addons i have for DS.
    Considering how much i have used it, the price is minimal.

Then again, if you don't really have specific needs and are just going for basic characters, you won't get as much out of it as I would.