Snow Material For a Snow Man?

Does anybody has a nice snow material or a suggestion which one might be suitable from the library? I need it for the the little guy in the attached picture. Currently it looks like molted ice.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 2017

Does anybody has a nice snow material or a suggestion which one might be suitable from the library? I need it for the the little guy in the attached picture. Currently it looks like molted ice.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Alexander, of course, you do not have a snowman on the picture, but an icy man.
    The theme of snow material in Bryce is very complex and ambiguous. The same material looks different on the ground and on a snowman. Very much depends on the lighting, atmosphere and type of render. The most realistic is the rendering with TA. Therefore, I reluctantly take on the winter landscapes. If you give me one or two days, I'll prepare you some options. Now I'm just experimenting.
    Here are some of my old works on this topic.

Post edited by Slepalex on
  • Thanks a lot slepalex. I like all of your snow attempts, especially the last one looks amazing.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 2017

I think, I have found a suitable snow material. Of course the icing on the cake would be, if the snow glittered a bit, but I had no idea how to achive that.

Nevertheless thanks for watching and Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to everybody.

Purrfect Christmas

schneemann_EN.png
    640 x 640 - 636K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

I think, I have found a suitable snow material. Of course the icing on the cake would be, if the snow glittered a bit, but I had no idea how to achive that.

Nevertheless thanks for watching and Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to everybody.

Purrfect Christmas

Alexander, very good work. But any work can be improved. You needed to make the main light cold, and left to leave warm. Then the feeling of winter and snow will be complete.
    To snow flashed under the influence of a light source, you need an additional light source with a procedural mask as a gel. Make a small diffuse value and a great specularity. For example, as in my first work. It is possible to include only this object.

Once I also did work on the theme of the new year.
    The work of 2008.

I did not have much time to experiment with snow. But I will definitely continue this work. Here is one of the samples.

zip
    zip
    Snow Man.zip
    2M
    Snow Man.jpg
    800 x 600 - 135K

The second is a very fast option.
    1. The main light: the sun.
    2. Dome Light: the illusion of global illumination.
    3. Distant Light with gel gives the effect of sparkling snowflakes. The same azimuth and altitude as in the sun.
    The TA renderer provides additional global light.
    Instead of Distant Light, you can use any light source with a gel.
    Analyze all light sources and materials.

zip
    zip
    Snow Man 2.zip
    2M
    Snow Man 2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 160K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988

Electro-Elvis - beautiful render Happy Holidays

Slepalex - beautiful snow renders, thanks for the examples.smiley

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111

Electro-Elvis - I like the warm touch of the Perfect Christmas. After all, there ought to be warm feelings.

Slepalex - very nice examples. Thanks for sharing.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Electro-elvis: very nice Christmas render. I don't mind the warm colours. Of course, snow reflects the light it gets. For more 'sparkle' in the snow, I was indeed also thinking of more specularity. If you use a new light with only lots of specular light that works only on the snow (so exclude everything else), it might work.

Slepalex: nice examples.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited January 2018

Thanks everybody for the friendly comments and suggestions, and especially slepalex for his examples. I will surely give them a try.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on