Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I had tried one of the darker light domes (have both I and II) - The over all effect is good.
    But the skin looked like plastic afterwards, which galled it for me after three days of rendering. Not sure what happens to the skin shader (working with Carrara Delphina Skin Shader Settings) but it loses all its details (freckles, stubbles and such) as soon as I use Light Domes or GI.

If anyone has an idea how to kill that awfully smooth looking barbie / ken skin effect with lightdomes or GI, any hint is welcome.

Yeah, as dart mentions, it isn't really effective for an interior because mostly they're meant to simulate the omni-directional ambient light you'd get from the sky, as such they tend to use distant lights. If you had a cavernous hall, then you could maybe get away with one that uses spot-lights maybe.

The skin looking less than dynamic could be fixed using other solutions. One possibility is SSS. This can take awhile and usually looks best when using Indirect Light, which is also a time vampire.

The other option to fake SSS would be to put an image map in the glow channel. Ideally, if the textures cone with an SSS map, you could use that in the glow channel, set to around 10% - 12% brightness. If there is no SSS map, the color map from the color channel can work as well. Same brightness. Don't forget to add a glow with the same brightness to the eye whites and the iris. Avoid adding it to the inner mouth.

I've posted this example before, so please forgive me. This scene has both models using the skin color texture maps in the glow channel.

The-Orc-Pit-copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Bounced light is only shorthand. doesn't take as long to spell as reflected. ;-P One could argue a basketball isn't bounced off the floor it is deflected by the floor! ;-)

At the risk of getting zen around here...what makes a true bounce then? ;-)

edited April 2013

Garstor said:
    Bounced light is only shorthand. doesn't take as long to spell as reflected. ;-P One could argue a basketball isn't bounced off the floor it is deflected by the floor! ;-)

Large breasts, a weak bra and a trampoline? :gulp: :coolgrin:

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Large breasts, a weak bra and a trampoline? :gulp: :coolgrin:

Spectacularly sexist ... yet accurate ... Well, now that we're both hated around here...I just discovered Sculptris today; can hardly wait to play with it and see how interoperable it may be with Carrara and LightWave.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

I do not jump on a trampoline for that reason :red:

edited December 1969

I do not jump on a trampoline for that reason :red:

I don't jump on trampolines either...but for different reasons... :-P

BTW, for just the few minutes that I have been playing...Sculptris might be a helluva lot of fun...after playing a bit more, I'll try to get something ported over to Carrara.

edited December 1969

I don't think there is any hope here yet...but here's the first bit screwing around with Sculptris. Exported as OBJ and rendered in Carrara with the built-in Marble shader.

This might be fun to play with...

001.png
    1200 x 1024 - 396K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

Heh, Garstor, reminds me of some of the plastic surgery that happens around here :)

edited December 1969

obligatory text

Hey Holly, looks superb! Care to share your working method? - is that some kind of Fresnel effect?

Hopefully you will see this post. I tried to post last night but forum gremlins maketh mischief.

edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I had tried one of the darker light domes (have both I and II) - The over all effect is good.
    But the skin looked like plastic afterwards, which galled it for me after three days of rendering. Not sure what happens to the skin shader (working with Carrara Delphina Skin Shader Settings) but it loses all its details (freckles, stubbles and such) as soon as I use Light Domes or GI.

If anyone has an idea how to kill that awfully smooth looking barbie / ken skin effect with lightdomes or GI, any hint is welcome.

three days of rendering? gah! you must be so patient.
    I'd never render anything if it took three days
    love the incidental spider webs,

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Heh, Garstor, reminds me of some of the plastic surgery that happens around here :)

I never saw anything quite that egregious when I was wandering around Belmont, Redhead and Swansea a few years ago... ;-)

edited April 2013

Heh, I forgot you were a local.
    I think that plastic surgery is de rigueur a few miles north. ;)
    A woman (who wasn't in advertising) once described her chest to me as being like two fried eggs - so that is what I thought when i saw your mesh ! And before you ask, I hadn't asked for a description of her chest - it was offered. (the description not the chest)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

He clearly referred to himself in an e-mail or PM at one point as a Texan! To be fair, he may have thrown up a little in his mouth when he typed it. ;-)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

He clearly referred to himself in an e-mail or PM at one point as a Texan! To be fair, he may have thrown up a little in his mouth when he typed it. ;-)

:) :)

watch out, remember the alamo (a poplar tree apparently)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Born in Brisbane. My aunt's family lives in Belmont though. Dad is over in Perth.

Sculptris is a weird beastie...then again, I haven't read any of the documentation yet.

Uhm...fried eggs? I don't think they'll bounce on a trampoline...

edited December 1969

So I decided to try the suggestion of adding grass to my scene. I tried grass models in a replicator and was not happy with the results. It took forever to fill the grid even with grass that was grouped. I didn't even bother to finish a low res test render as it looked like crap. The next idea was to try hair as grass, I've seen some nice work done with it, but haven't really tried it myself because I thought it would take forever.

Surprisingly it took less time to calculate 999,999 hairs than it did to fill the grid for a replicator utilizing 100,000 groups of extremely low res grass. I still haven't made up my mind about it, but the hair holds a little promise. I may decide to create hair groups for it, rather than try to grow hair all over the terrain.

What do you think? Is it worth it?

Fantasy_terrain_beauty_shot03_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

More like projectile vomited... :sick:

Jeez...in just a few weeks it will be my 6th anniversary in Texas. Oh why can't I find a job that pays as well in Toronto? Or Brisbane.

edited April 2013

So I decided to try the suggestion of adding grass to my scene. I tried grass models in a replicator and was not happy with the results. It took forever to fill the grid even with grass that was grouped. I didn't even bother to finish a low res test render as it looked like crap. The next idea was to try hair as grass, I've seen some nice work done with it, but haven't really tried it myself because I thought it would take forever.

Surprisingly it took less time to calculate 999,999 hairs than it did to fill the grid for a replicator utilizing 100,000 groups of extremely low res grass. I still haven't made up my mind about it, but the hair holds a little promise. I may decide to create hair groups for it, rather than try to grow hair all over the terrain.

yes it looks mucgh better!!

I have a few mesh grasses commercial that work superbly, hardly any hit to the render time, especially if you turn off cast shadows,
    so maybe you could make your own grass on a plane in a separate car file, duplicate it massibvely then turn it into real instances, should give the same result, but be quicker? you can just add instances where you want it then,

I've used hair for grass but it tends to look slightly weird. Too uniform? Dont forget to thrrow rocks and weeds in too :)

Great you are modelling everything for this.

In eceoemantics or whatever it is called Dimension theory makes grass into primitives and that seems to cut the load down a lot.

http://www.daz3d.com/environments-props/plants/ecomantics-efficient-ecosystems

this chap's grass renders very quickly too

http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-grass-one steep for the cash though, when I get a chance I'hh have a look at the number of verts in the blades

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Undecided so far.
    I really like how you kept it subtle. I really like how it looks in that render. It's just that your new texture works so well, I'm not sure I would keep it visible, myself.

Bravo, nonetheless - very nice job on that! Looking forward to seeing it some more from different angles and with some people and stuff amongst it.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    This is because the sun is so energetic and bright that light reflects (many people incorrectly say that it bounces - something that light simply cannot do) from nearly everything around you - even the atmosphere.

Everytime that I hear someone say "light bounce" I think "BOING!" It helps dispel the myth...

My up and coming Environ Kits : Woodlands

Overly long up and coming... ;-P S'okay buddy, I know you've been puking your guts out lately. Take your time!

Bounced light is only shorthand. doesn't take as long to spell as reflected. ;-P One could argue a basketball isn't bounced off the floor it is deflected by the floor! ;-)Except that rubber can and does bounce. Light, on the other hand, can not. ;-)

Don't worry Gars-Man... It'll be released...
    ...soon :coolhmm:

edited December 1969

head wax said:

yes it looks mucgh better!!

I have a few mesh grasses commercial that work superbly, hardly any hit to the render time, especially if you turn off cast shadows,
    so maybe you could make your own grass on a plane in a separate car file, duplicate it massibvely then turn it into real instances, should give the same result, but be quicker? you can just add instances where you want it then,

I've used hair for grass but it tends to look slightly weird. Too uniform? Dont forget to thrrow rocks and weeds in too :)

Great you are modelling everything for this.

In eceoemantics or whatever it is called Dimension theory makes grass into primitives and that seems to cut the load down a lot.

http://www.daz3d.com/environments-props/plants/ecomantics-efficient-ecosystems

this chap's grass renders very quickly too

http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-grass-one steep for the cash though, when I get a chance I'hh have a look at the number of verts in the blades Genius.

edited December 1969

Well, here we go again. In order to thoroughly test the compositing preset for Woodlands, I need to use it to composite something. I mean... I already have, but... you know. I have to do it again! Besides, the first animated shader test didn't turn out like I really wanted it to. So here's some single frames from some of tonight's batch render queue. Of course... Rosie's the one who gets the animated color, specular and bump map avi textures - and her hair and most of what she's wearing is sporting an experimental, universal animated dripping wet enhancer with the specific hopes of taking away a motionless look to articles worn by someone who's skin shaders are dripping with water... right? It's just gotta be. If that doesn't work, I suppose I could open up a service for folks to send me their textures and I could animate the dripping water onto it... Hmnpf.
    Orcies are bad. Thank you Rosietreats!

RT_Takes_2Orcs.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 553K
    RT_Takes_2OrcsR.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 455K
    RT_Takes_2OrcsA.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 474K
    edited December 1969

No doubt, they'll require another Howler pass with rain hitting them and in the foreground. That's amazingly fast and fun to do.
    The backdrop used above has several composites which were really quite easy to make and then they load into Carrara and renders are incredibly zippy by simply rendering parts of the scene at a time. Of course, backdrops such as this are useable over and over and...

edited December 1969

amazing Dartanbeck :) that's one scary set of dentures - maybe a bit of slimey saliva ;)

have you seen http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html

? could fit in somewhere in your tool box

edited December 1969

Wow... thanks for this. I really hope that it doesn't already do what I'm working on for a new Carrara thing! :)
    Doubt it... it looks like a great addition to any animators toolkit. Thanks, Head Wax!

I'm planning on making a more of a rapids-like stream/river as an addon for Woodlands ;-)

using Howler to make animated highlights, bump and displacement (height). Still haven't tested Carrara out on using animated height maps on terrains - but I think that is exactly what I saw a glimpse of in one of Philip Staigerman's Carrara videos.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

More like projectile vomited... :sick:

Jeez...in just a few weeks it will be my 6th anniversary in Texas. Oh why can't I find a job that pays as well in Toronto? Or Brisbane.or NE Wisconsin?

edited December 1969

Undecided so far.
    I really like how you kept it subtle. I really like how it looks in that render. It's just that your new texture works so well, I'm not sure I would keep it visible, myself.

Bravo, nonetheless - very nice job on that! Looking forward to seeing it some more from different angles and with some people and stuff amongst it.

I've got mixed feelings on it myself. I think it would be better if the 3D models of grass were simply used as "trimming" around the trees and buildings.

That Pred Pack - Grass One looks nice but it is best that you are doing (nearly) everything yourself. Besides, I think doing huge swaths of grass would be cost prohibitive with render times.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Jeez...in just a few weeks it will be my 6th anniversary in Texas. Oh why can't I find a job that pays as well in Toronto? Or Brisbane.
    or NE Wisconsin?

Hehehehehe...fair enough! It would be green at least...but I'd still be cursed with the hassles of work visas. Mind you, one winter later and I'd be b****hing again... :lol:

edited December 1969

I'm planning on making a more of a rapids-like stream/river as an addon for Woodlands ;-)

My response in code:

Garstor.Eyebrow.Left.Height += 7;

I am intrigued. Water rapids would be a wonderful addition.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Undecided so far.

I've got mixed feelings on it myself. I think it would be better if the 3D models of grass were simply used as "trimming" around the trees and buildings.

That Pred Pack - Grass One looks nice but it is best that you are doing (nearly) everything yourself. Besides, I think doing huge swaths of grass would be cost prohibitive with render times.

Yeah, it is time prohibitive. I'm leaning towards individuals adding their own grass and shrubs. I have a bit of my own library of stuff that I've acquired over the years. Why reinvent the wheel. My goal is a quickly loading scene without a lot of overhead that renders (hopefully) fast.