Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Yikes.
    Sorry for being so... in and out quickly, you guys. Still very sick, and just too much going on around me at the time that I posted.
    Very cool renders. Stu, that art is just beautiful, man... I love it!
    EP... I love the fact that you've rigged that banner. Looks very cool.

Koukotsu, I love those AO portrait renders. I really like her hair in this one. Dog gone, she is an adorable little thing!

So, Holly... this is very cool news - well... I don't think that I knew you were making a Space Opera. This whole post that you link to is very intriguing stuff. So... with CT, do you do the actual renders in Carrara and then morph the rendered image in CT? What's going on there? However it works... it looks really, really good!
    On another note... are you porting your site over to the Cafe? It's gone, I tell you. Your site. It's... missing!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

So, Holly... this is very cool news - well... I don't think that I knew you were making a Space Opera. This whole post that you link to is very intriguing stuff. So... with CT, do you do the actual renders in Carrara and then morph the rendered image in CT? What's going on there? However it works... it looks really, really good!
    On another note... are you porting your site over to the Cafe? It's gone, I tell you. Your site. It's... missing!

My site is still up...? http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com maybe it was slow or down for maintenance? I don't plan to give it up entirely, but I'd rather put my Carrara tutorials and freebies and stuff in a place where more people can find them... Plus the hassle of maintaining my own downloads and stuff.... I'll probably transition my site into more a general portfolio and 3D art. Put the Carrara info back into the community. Getting a new computer was a setback - hopefully once all the software gets settled I can start making cooler tutorials, longer animations, editing full length video, etc.

I posted a little more info about Crazytalk at the Cafe thread... I'm animating in Carrara too, but where I can cheat I'll try to fill in with CrazyTalk. Especially in the early kinematics stage... It animates quickly and it's not any weirder than Mimic, just a little different... and it's my real Carrara artwork so it shouldn't look too drastic when I switch back and forth...
    http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/#cid=1,tid=153

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

my old laptop came with a lite version of Crazy talk installed
    that is how I got into 3D
    I went to the Reallusion website via the program link and ended up buying iClone
    I already had C5pro too on a mag disc but had only rendered a few preset landscapes with a few browser objects stuck in them
    found Daz a month or so later (my C5pro was Evocia)
    rest was history
    My CT4 only does simple gif's and avi's for emails etc

Holly.gif
    256 x 256 - 2M
    dart.gif
    256 x 256 - 2M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

my old laptop came with a lite version of Crazy talk installed
    that is how I got into 3D
    I went to the Reallusion website via the program link and ended up buying iClone
    I already had C5pro too on a mag disc but had only rendered a few preset landscapes with a few browser objects stuck in them
    found Daz a month or so later (my C5pro was Evocia)
    rest was history
    My CT4 only does simple gif's and avi's for emails etc

that's the best they ever looked :)

edited December 1969

LMAO! We look like we're on a reality dating show!

edited December 1969

How unbelievably awesome! :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Dammit! Now I'm going to have to get that software! Although, when the devs. see wendy's little gifs, they'l have to change the name to CrazyAssTalk™ :lol:

edited December 1969

Here's a test shot of the village scene with the rigged banners flapping in the breeze. I also stuck in a volumetric cloud to test different lighting. No post work except to convert to .jpg. Also no GI, just the standard renderer set at good AA with 1 pixel object accuracy and 2 pixel shadow accuracy.

Fantasy_terrain_beauty_shot.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Great lighting Evil, and the cloud works superbly.
    I am admiring how you have demarked the areas where the grass is worn by wear.
    Will you put grass sticking up at the bases of the buildings to make them sit better in the landscape or do you have another plan up your sleeve?

edited December 1969

I was debating how much further I wanted to go with ground clutter. My intention is to make the terrain (sans buildings- they're not mine) available for free download. I've built everything except the buildings, including the weeping willow trees. As an aside, that was a hair pulling experience! ;-) I may add clutter like weeds/grass, rain barrels, etc. for my own scenes, as I have a bunch of content that I can use already for myself. I'd have to build the grass and other miscellany.

The buildings are available from ShareCG:
    http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=JanglingJack

edited December 1969

Your villiage scenes look so good EP, you should do a book or video slideshow (with appropriate music)
    well at least I know what will be in the next edition of C3DE

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I was debating how much further I wanted to go with ground clutter.

I was wondering about that myself when I looked at the scenes. Would some 3D grass around the trees/buildings/posts/etc. help sell the effect or simply reinforce that there isn't 3D grass everywhere else? Having grass everywhere would obviously be render-time prohibitive for most people.

edited December 1969

Your villiage scenes look so good EP, you should do a book or video slideshow (with appropriate music)
    well at least I know what will be in the next edition of C3DE

I completely agree with that. I love -- and often re-watch -- PhilW's Advanced Carrara training that models some terrain and stonewalled farmhouse. Something like that video for EP's scene would be equally awesome.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

Here's a test shot of the village scene with the rigged banners flapping in the breeze. I also stuck in a volumetric cloud to test different lighting. No post work except to convert to .jpg. Also no GI, just the standard renderer set at good AA with 1 pixel object accuracy and 2 pixel shadow accuracy.

Clouds are amazing! Lighting also good. esp. if no GI.

Perhaps the next step is to un-flatten the landscape a little? Really like the patches of grass / dirt too.

edited December 1969

Clouds are amazing! Lighting also good. esp. if no GI.

Perhaps the next step is to un-flatten the landscape a little? Really like the patches of grass / dirt too.

Thank you! The lighting is a sunlight and home rolled light dome coupled with a customized sky. The terrain is on three levels with flat areas left intentionally flat for ease of setting up scenes. I'll post another couple angles.

edited December 1969

obligatory text

Doc24.png
    640 x 640 - 178K
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

This is my latest attempt to get something done with a nice evening atmosphere.
    I am still not very happy how the light turned out - the scene is mainly illuminated by "Moon Light" and three stacks of Candles.

I also used here imported architecture models from the Game Skyrim (Elder Scrolls). The one with the texture/shader issue. Had to keep the windows out of the scene since they do not look nice all grey ^^

BurningOfKingOlaf.jpg
    1650 x 1152 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I see. Impressed with the light dome then. This is an area I haven't yet had time to study, although I picked up a few in the recent March sales.

It certainly helps make the scene look realistic.

edited April 2013

I had tried one of the darker light domes (have both I and II) - The over all effect is good.
    But the skin looked like plastic afterwards, which galled it for me after three days of rendering. Not sure what happens to the skin shader (working with Carrara Delphina Skin Shader Settings) but it loses all its details (freckles, stubbles and such) as soon as I use Light Domes or GI.

If anyone has an idea how to kill that awfully smooth looking barbie / ken skin effect with lightdomes or GI, any hint is welcome.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I had tried one of the darker light domes (have both I and II) - The over all effect is good.
    But the skin looked like plastic afterwards, which galled it for me after three days of rendering. Not sure what happens to the skin shader (working with Carrara Delphina Skin Shader Settings) but it loses all its details (freckles, stubbles and such) as soon as I use Light Domes or GI.

If anyone has an idea how to kill that awfully smooth looking barbie / ken skin effect with lightdomes or GI, any hint is welcome.

Hi there.

All good info. Thanks.

My comment was for Evil producer. Perhaps he can shed some light (no pun intended!) on the subject, as hes produced his own.

I was quite impressed by this demo http://www.daz3d.com/urban-recreation. Does this work well with your skin shaders?

edited April 2013

I rarely used any HDRI - since I create all my backgrounds myself by using scene props. (Let's say, I am also not very familiar with its use in any 3D or 2D Software)
    I tried the Skies of Terra, and found that it was almost useless for my uses. The light is great, but well, it only works with the backgrounds in place.(from what I figured).

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I rarely used any HDRI - since I create all my backgrounds myself by using scene props. (Let's say, I am also not very familiar with its use in any 3D or 2D Software)
    I tried the Skies of Terra, and found that it was almost useless for my uses. The light is great, but well, it only works with the backgrounds in place.(from what I figured).

I see. I wish I could help.

I'm getting pretty good at 3 point lighting scenes, plus night lighting, but skin is a different ball game esp. up close.

Good luck. I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

edited December 1969

Rhiana said:

Well, for one... I'd never use a light dome for an indoor render.
    Domes are made to simulate the fact that light actually comes from all around you when you're outside - even though the sun remains in a single spot in the sky. This is because the sun is so energetic and bright that light reflects (many people incorrectly say that it bounces - something that light simply cannot do) from nearly everything around you - even the atmosphere.

Inside, however, lights are not even close to having that kind of power. To help with this, Carrara allows you to set how far the light travels from bulbs and spot lights. Beyond brightness, distance gives you power to the brightness. With the fall off values of both of those light types, you can even further resemble what happens indoors. So a brightness of 60 with a distance of 60 and a falloff of 60 will make for a great indoor light. Now play with the color - trying not to get too saturated (saturation is the measure of hue compared to gray scale) - I like to stay a little closer to the gray scale that to the color side of the color triangle.

I hope this tid bit gets you started... let me know how it works for you.

One more tip:
    Even if you don't actually have a bright source of light represented in your scene behind your characters, a nice strong back light can also help to highlight them. My up and coming Environ Kits : Woodlands has some good tutorials regarding highlighting your characters and such.

Best wishes, and I'm glad to help further should you want it :)

edited December 1969

Speaking of Woodlands:

PalRuinDemo.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 799K
    edited December 1969

Speaking of Woodlands:

ah the new revised Mayan calendar photo!
    edited December 1969

Pic from this morning's test render Carrara to CrazyTalk... You can watch the animation here (click the text link at the top of the post for full quality)
    http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/?cid=1&show=153#cid=1,tid=153

In further response to your cool writeup in the above link, I have been finding Carrara to be a fantastic compositing tool. Especially compositing to create further composites! :)
    With its ultra-fast rendering ability - especially with little more than an avi or sequence of images to render, it's a great time-saver. So then I can build an entire animation scene within Carrara and only render things from the back to the front in stages - making the successive renders really fast, even as animations. It's still going to be hard for me to get away from just rendering out the whole thing at once though. It's so tidy, being far less files to keep track of, and most everything I make can be completed as I sleep with these eight blazing cores anyways. Sure I can bog them down if I want - but I'm finding that lower render settings in an animation with full scene lighting and shadows can look more realistic than a composite made up of only super high, slow-to-render settings. Trade-offs either way.

I'd like to add, however, that I'm not criticizing the technique you're using - simply adding to the Epic conversation. I say this because I really like the look that you have going on. Very nice!

I am currently saving out a whole slew of new action animations generically. Meaning with no other lighting or scene elements. Then I can drag these saved animated character files into any scene that I have previously saved. I create all of my scenes to work in such a way with very little extra tweaking required.

I sure love Carrara for being able to handle all I put it through! lol

edited December 1969

Speaking of Woodlands:

Another quality image Dartan!

edited December 1969

This is because the sun is so energetic and bright that light reflects (many people incorrectly say that it bounces - something that light simply cannot do) from nearly everything around you - even the atmosphere.

Everytime that I hear someone say "light bounce" I think "BOING!" It helps dispel the myth...

My up and coming Environ Kits : Woodlands

Overly long up and coming... ;-P S'okay buddy, I know you've been puking your guts out lately. Take your time!

edited December 1969

Speaking of Woodlands:

ah the new revised Mayan calendar photo!

It will mark the end of the world when the Woodlands Kit is released! (Don't hate me Dart, you know I love your work!)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    This is because the sun is so energetic and bright that light reflects (many people incorrectly say that it bounces - something that light simply cannot do) from nearly everything around you - even the atmosphere.

Everytime that I hear someone say "light bounce" I think "BOING!" It helps dispel the myth...

My up and coming Environ Kits : Woodlands

Overly long up and coming... ;-P S'okay buddy, I know you've been puking your guts out lately. Take your time!

Bounced light is only shorthand. doesn't take as long to spell as reflected. ;-P One could argue a basketball isn't bounced off the floor it is deflected by the floor! ;-)