Comprehensive List of Video Tutorials on Carrara (UPDATE: New Access Method!)

FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
edited May 2013 in Carrara Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to collect, consolidate, and make available a comprehensive list of all video tutorials available on Carrara.

The 5 posts that follow are placeholders for various ways the videos will be sorted and listed:
- Tutorials By Topic
- Tutorials By Level of Complexity / Expertise
- Tutorials By Author
- Tutorials By Title
- Demos By Topic

I started my search on YouTube (where I have identified approximately 350 tutorials and demos so far). I will expand the list to include other sites in the near future - e.g., CarraraCafe and Vimeo - after I have exhausted the list for YouTube.

If you know of any tutorials you or others have done, be sure to drop a post on this thread, and I will be sure to include them.

However, for now, please keep in mind the list is not yet complete!

UPDATE 1 (May 13, 2013):
===================
209 tutorials have been catalogued so far.

Progress has been slower as unexpected real life events have gotten in the way. I am slowly working through the tutorials I have identified. I still hope to complete my initial catalog of YouTube video tutorials in the next week, and will update the lists as my search expands. I will post date stamps for when the lists have been updated.

I have changed the access method. (Thanks, Garstor, for the suggestion to use DropBox.) Now, clicking on the links below will bring up a download option in your browser. Clicking on the download will drop a PDF file onto your computer that you can access anytime. Bringing up the PDF files will show the list of currently catalogued videos. Each one has a hot link. You should be able to directly access the videos by clicking on those links.

There is a separate PDF file for each of the sort methods described above. Download just the ones you want or download them all.

Please let me know if you find a link that does not work.

Thanks and enjoy!

Post edited by FractalDimensia on

Comments

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Tutorials By Topic
    =============

Click on the following link, or copy and paste the link into your browser:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8V9-txK8F4MTGo1ZmZucmZ2Wmc/edit?usp=sharing

In the top left corner, click "File" and then "Download"

You may need to authorize the download depending on your browser.

You should now find the file "Tutorials Listing (Sort by Topic)" in the directory you have specified for downloads.

View the PDF file using a PDF reader. Click on the hot links under the column "Links" to view the videos.

edited May 2013

Tutorials By Author
    ==============

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8V9-txK8F4MOEY2UFJpVU4ycWc/edit?usp=sharing

You may need to authorize the download depending on your browser (e.g., in IE, you may see a verification box in the bottom of your browser page).

You should now find the file "Tutorials Listing (Sort by Author)" in the directory you have specified for downloads.

View the PDF file using a PDF reader. Click on the hot links under the column "Links" to view the videos.

edited May 2013

Tutorials By Level of Complexity / Expertise
    ================================

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8V9-txK8F4MRjdhLVBFV1BuUDg/edit?usp=sharing

In the top left corner, click “File” and then “Download”

You may need to authorize the download depending on your browser (e.g., in IE, you may see a verification box in the bottom of your browser page).

You should now find the file “Tutorials Listing (Sort by Level)” in the directory you have specified for downloads.

View the PDF file using a PDF reader. Click on the hot links under the column “Links” to view the videos.

edited May 2013

Tutorials Sorted By Title
    ==================

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8V9-txK8F4MS3BKOXBVWk1hSmM/edit?usp=sharing

You should now find the file "Tutorials Listing (Sort by Title)" in the directory you have specified for downloads.

edited May 2013

Demos by Subject / Topic:
    ====================

Copy and paste the following link into your browser:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8V9-txK8F4MeUUxOE5UTWZNTVU/edit?usp=sharing

In the top left corner, click “File” and then “Download”

You should now find the file “Demos Listing (Sort by Topic)” in the directory you have specified for downloads.

View the PDF file using a PDF reader. Click on the hot links under the column “Links” to view the videos.

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this , Great resources.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

wow thanks from me too!

edited December 1969

You are welcome and hope you find these lists useful. I am finding creating this list is very helpful for my own learning about Carrara.

It is by no means complete, but it is a start. I will make updates several times a week over the next month.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

OMG...
    This is beautiful!!!
    Thanks FD!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Wow FractalDimensia,
    this is so freaking beautiful, man! You really did an outstanding job! I put a direct link to this within the table of content - but this baby should really get stickied! We'll have to talk to Pam and Richard and see if that can happen. Fantastic!
    Thank You!

Dartanbeck :coolhmm:

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Fantastic job FractalDimensia. Many thanks.

edited December 1969

Wow FractalDimensia,
    this is so freaking beautiful, man! You really did an outstanding job! I put a direct link to this within the table of content - but this baby should really get stickied! We'll have to talk to Pam and Richard and see if that can happen. Fantastic!
    Thank You!

Dartanbeck :coolhmm:

Thanks, DB, for your assistance!

Like all my Carrara work, it's WIP! ;) Much more to come.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:

Thanks, Jay. I am pretty sure I have these captured in my spreadsheet (along with about 200 more) that I am slowly working my way through. Still, I'll be sure to verify each one. I'd hate to have a good one slip through the cracks! :)

BTW, "WWWDAZ3DCOM" appears as the author. Would you prefer I post your name instead?

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I concur with the others that this is an amazing resource. Great work FD!

But - given the nature of my paying job ;-) - I have to add that this should be put into a database (or at least a spreadsheet) for better access and searching.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I concur with the others that this is an amazing resource. Great work FD!

But - given the nature of my paying job ;-) - I have to add that this should be put into a database (or at least a spreadsheet) for better access and searching.

Couldn't agree more Garstor! I currently am logging the information into an Excel file for easy filtering, searching and sorting. I wouldn't mind sharing this file with others if there was a place I could upload the document for others to access. I'll research that some this weekend and find a way to make the file downloadable via a link (either as an Excel or PDF).

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Couldn't agree more Garstor! I currently am logging the information into an Excel file for easy filtering, searching and sorting. I wouldn't mind sharing this file with others if there was a place I could upload the document for others to access. I'll research that some this weekend and find a way to make the file downloadable via a link (either as an Excel or PDF).

If databased, they could be put into a website for users to search.

PM me, we can probably work something out and I can put the file on my own (butt-ugly) website if need be.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

DAZ3d did those I had nothing to do with those videos. They were done by different people at DAZ, so you could just watch each one and post the creator or just post DAZ3D as the creator.

The one sort of frustrating thing about the videos DAZ did is that some of them are tutorials and some others were just quick scenes or tests showing off different features and had no instructional information. The naming of some of the videos doesn't help in a few cases too and a better name for the video.

One thing you might want to add next to some tutorials is if the tutorials is still a usable one. Some things got changed in between Carrara versions and a tutorial may not be do able because of that with Carrara 8 due to changes. Or, the tutorial could be for a plugin or addition that you can no longer get. or require you to download project files that you ca no longer get,

Thanks, Jay. I am pretty sure I have these captured in my spreadsheet (along with about 200 more) that I am slowly working my way through. Still, I'll be sure to verify each one. I'd hate to have a good one slip through the cracks! :)

BTW, "WWWDAZ3DCOM" appears as the author. Would you prefer I post your name instead?

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

Hey thanks for including some of my tutorials! :)

The full playlist is here.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL511383E90B92CC0E

More to come.

edited December 1969

Hey thanks for including some of my tutorials! :)

The full playlist is here.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL511383E90B92CC0E

More to come.

Thanks, Steve. Really enjoy your videos, and when I get some time to tackle some of your ideas, I'm sure I'll post some questions on YouTube!

I actually went to your channel and pulled all the video files there that relate to Carrara, but I haven't tagged them all, so they don't appear yet in the list. I'll post a comment on this thread when I have all the YouTube vids tagged, so I hope you and the other authors will be sure to verify my list is complete. Never hurts to have a 2nd pair of eyes.... Or 3rd. And I've made a note to compare the final results against the playlist link you provided.

Thanks for keeping me honest! ;)

edited May 2013

Jay_NOLA said:
    DAZ3d did those I had nothing to do with those videos. They were done by different people at DAZ, so you could just watch each one and post the creator or just post DAZ3D as the creator.

The one sort of frustrating thing about the videos DAZ did is that some of them are tutorials and some others were just quick scenes or tests showing off different features and had no instructional information. The naming of some of the videos doesn't help in a few cases too and a better name for the video.

One thing you might want to add next to some tutorials is if the tutorials is still a usable one. Some things got changed in between Carrara versions and a tutorial may not be do able because of that with Carrara 8 due to changes. Or, the tutorial could be for a plugin or addition that you can no longer get. or require you to download project files that you ca no longer get,

First, sorry I misread your first post. I want to be sure to recognize the right persons for their work.

Second, I am actually tagging "tutorials" and "demos" as separate items. You should NOT see any demo vids in the tutorial list. If there is one there, it is a mistake, so please let me know! Some of DAZ's vids are demos, so I have tagged them appropriately. (There is a separate post [#5 I believe] set aside to list demo videos, which are always fun to watch --- and then wonder how the heck the author did that! ;) )

As of yet, I am not doing any checks as to the quality, accuracy, or currency of the vids. It's not my place to make those decisions, so the list will ultimately be a complete list - the good, the bad, and the ugly! :) However, I *AM* tagging the version of Carrara that was used in the making of the videos when the information is available. I suppose that is another way to filter the videos, though I'm not sure yet how to handle those where the version # is unknown.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

I actually went to your channel and pulled all the video files there that relate to Carrara...

Wonderful! Thanks a lot.

edited December 1969

Updated with new links to Google Docs for easier reading, access and downloading.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Woo HOO!

I will try to get this downloaded and take a look today... I wonder if there is a spreadsheet plugin for wordpress so this could be listed at CAFE...

I will compare your list with what's already at Cafe so we can fill in the holes...!

Thanks for all the hard work!

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I wonder if there is a spreadsheet plugin for wordpress so this could be listed at CAFE...

If you just want a sortable table of links and info about them, that can be accomplished with just HTML and a free JavaScript library.
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    I wonder if there is a spreadsheet plugin for wordpress so this could be listed at CAFE...

If you just want a sortable table of links and info about them, that can be accomplished with just HTML and a free JavaScript library.

I would be happy to provide the file as a MS Office Excel Workbook if that would help, Holly.

Also, please keep in mind that I am still updating this list, so consider what it would take to update a list in CAFE as I post updates.

FD

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:

You are HIRED! :D

• shumphryshumphry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the tutorial lists, as a visual learner I take in more from a five minute video than I would reading a manual for an hour. Downloaded the complexity pdf and will start going through it.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

Great list, FractalDimensia.. Now I don‘t have to search all over the place. I KNOW where the tuts are. Thanks for the hard work.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

You are HIRED! :D

Holly, hire me! For only $500 a piece, I can discover new Carrara tuts...