December 2017 New User 3D Art Challenge - Free Render Month: Wrap it up!

Comments

• ricswika said:
    daybird said:

This looks incredible complex. I think my computer wouldn't even handle the half of this scene.

You would benift from even a cheap GPU. Maybe you can find one used on fleabay. I recently sold three GPUs for about $100 and built a watercooled workstation just for this. I maxed it out with two GTX 1080 SC2 GPUs, SD drive and 32G. It is great. I can run overclocked to about 125% the rated clock speeds when rendering, so it is blazing fast. Fast enough to render in real-time in the viewport even with that huge scene. I still put everything into groups and turn things off when I'm editing to get the viewport to be even more responsive. I've been rendering at 6000x4000 and downsizing. I get a decent render in about 15 minutes at that massive resolution, but sometime just let it run for hours until it it is almost totally converged.

Are the 1080's running at x16 each or are they restricted with the pci-e lanes in your build? I ask because if I wanted to add another graphics card at x16 I would have to upgrade cpu and mobo and wonder if daz3d benefits any from x4/x8/x16 speeds.

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    ricswika said:
    daybird said:

This looks incredible complex. I think my computer wouldn't even handle the half of this scene.

You would benift from even a cheap GPU. Maybe you can find one used on fleabay. I recently sold three GPUs for about $100 and built a watercooled workstation just for this. I maxed it out with two GTX 1080 SC2 GPUs, SD drive and 32G. It is great. I can run overclocked to about 125% the rated clock speeds when rendering, so it is blazing fast. Fast enough to render in real-time in the viewport even with that huge scene. I still put everything into groups and turn things off when I'm editing to get the viewport to be even more responsive. I've been rendering at 6000x4000 and downsizing. I get a decent render in about 15 minutes at that massive resolution, but sometime just let it run for hours until it it is almost totally converged.

Are the 1080's running at x16 each or are they restricted with the pci-e lanes in your build? I ask because if I wanted to add another graphics card at x16 I would have to upgrade cpu and mobo and wonder if daz3d benefits any from x4/x8/x16 speeds.

ricswika said:
    daybird said:

Are the 1080's running at x16 each or are they restricted with the pci-e lanes in your build? I ask because if I wanted to add another graphics card at x16 I would have to upgrade cpu and m wobo and wonder if daz3d benefits any from x4/x8/x16 speeds.

My motherboard has two x16 slots, but I doubt it matters for rendering. I think there is only comminications over the bus for loading the scene and occasional canvas updates. The heavy processing is done locally on the GPUs. For game play it is probably a different story.

• ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    daybird said:

ricswika said:
    daybird said:

Are the 1080's running at x16 each or are they restricted with the pci-e lanes in your build? I ask because if I wanted to add another graphics card at x16 I would have to upgrade cpu and m wobo and wonder if daz3d benefits any from x4/x8/x16 speeds.

My motherboard has two x16 slots, but I doubt it matters for rendering. I think there is only comminications over the bus for loading the scene and occasional canvas updates. The heavy processing is done locally on the GPUs. For game play it is probably a different story.

Ok, yeah I read around some after I posted that question to see if I could find anything and though I couldn't find anything direct from Daz or iRay I saw on forums that others thought only CUDA cores mattered and not the bus speeds. That may intice me to get a second gpu. Thanks!

• Geffe said:

The more I look at that Deco Christmas Cats entry, the more I like it. The only slight criticism I have is that in the closeups the cats' eyes look slightly too deepset in their eyesockets. Not really noticeable in the main pic though.

I was taking a break from the dwarf battle scene, trying some quick renders of some of the stuff collecting on my hard drive from all the sales and freebies lately, and kind of liked this one. I turned the bloom filter on (I have no idea what the settings do so I just left them at defaults, for now), changed a lot of shaders, and used a light with temperature set to 7000k (which I think makes it slightly blue-ish) to light the main character, and a couple of red tinted lights for the background and rim lights.

Nice one here. One question, 'What's she packing?'

• GeffeGeffe Posts: 63
    Geffe said:

The more I look at that Deco Christmas Cats entry, the more I like it. The only slight criticism I have is that in the closeups the cats' eyes look slightly too deepset in their eyesockets. Not really noticeable in the main pic though.

I was taking a break from the dwarf battle scene, trying some quick renders of some of the stuff collecting on my hard drive from all the sales and freebies lately, and kind of liked this one. I turned the bloom filter on (I have no idea what the settings do so I just left them at defaults, for now), changed a lot of shaders, and used a light with temperature set to 7000k (which I think makes it slightly blue-ish) to light the main character, and a couple of red tinted lights for the background and rim lights.

Thanks. The gun is Polish's AMX Assault Rifle and Poses.

• shaneseymourstudioshaneseymourstudio Posts: 383
    edited December 2017

This entry is titled 'Studio Shoot'.

This was done in Daz3d using iRay. This version is right out of iRay render. I attempted to add smoke to the scene but could not get it looking like I wanted even with Sickle Yields smoke. I am sure that I just need to spend some time with it to get it how I want but I plan to add it in post via PS.

Many elements from different scenes were used and combined. I changed many surface materials and am happy with the overall composition, though I am torn about DoF on this and may try some other things/angles to be able to manipulate the DoF how I want.

Studio Shoot

Adding the PS retouch here:

Studio Shoot Retouch

StudioShoot.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 912K
    StudioShoot-Retouched.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 861K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Geffe said:
    Geffe said:

Thanks. The gun is Polish's AMX Assault Rifle and Poses.

Cool, I've got that one as well. Ment to ask where she is as well.

Also is there somebody there with her? It looks to me like there is.

• Rendered this one last night, but getting over having a wisedom tooth removed yesterday had me sleeping in like you wouldn't beleave today.

dec2017-3a.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited December 2018

@ Shinji

Wisdom tooth... Ack!  Gives me the chills just thinking about it.  Hope it went smoothly and you're feeling OK.  Anyway, Orc looking good!

---
    @ Everyone

Wasn't going to enter December's contest because I'd assumed it would be holiday themed & nothing in my library for that.  Since others seem to be doing their own thing, what the hay!
    If decide to pursue this one, eventually it will have cartoon captions.  Suggestions on Greek style lace up sandals welcome (although fitting to Olympia might be a challenge!)

The following PSA:

---
    Public Service Announcement from the Department of Highway Safety.

Motorists: Driving while Taking Photos of Giant Greek Goddesses Can Cause Accidents.  "Don't Do it!"
    ---

Edit:  Dec. 2018 - weeding out too many files at imgur.  PM if find broken links.

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    Tynkere said:

@ Shinji

Wisdom tooth... Ack!  Gives me the chills just thinking about it.  Hope it went smoothly and you're feeling OK.  Anyway, Orc looking good!

---
    @ Everyone

Wasn't going to enter December's contest because I'd assumed it would be holiday themed & nothing in my library for that.  Since others seem to be doing their own thing, what the hay!
    If decide to pursue this one, eventually it will have cartoon captions.  Suggestions on Greek style lace up sandals welcome (although fitting to Olympia might be a challenge!)

The following PSA:

---

Motorists: Driving while Taking Photos of Giant Greek Goddesses Can Cause Accidents.  "Don't Do it!"
    ---

LOL, funny idea and nicely done.

Good work with the expressions, and the demolishen car (done with a deformer?)

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited December 2017

Initialisation

Slightly late to the party, but my start of a so far pretty simple entry for this month. Big problems with it so far are parts of the figure such as thighs and calves overlapping other parts which at the moment I have no idea how to correct (a bit of searching might be happening soon), as well as the hands not yet being posed quite correctly.

I also feel that for this concept the figure not having any clothes on would be more appropriate, but I am unsure of the rules, so not going there.

Initialisation 1.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 308K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2017

@ Daybird

Thanks!  Figured I'd do something fun rather than serious this time around.  : )

Car was indeed done with deformer.  I like smushing stuff...

Does it look like Olympia is buffing her nails with emery board?  Hope so, because I don't have that prop.  So a comb at an angle and colored maroon was used instead.

Now about those sandals...

@ Noswen

I dunno.  I assume cyborg would just have generic shapes no different than 'smooth shaded' sometimes seen at store, but probably wise to get approval from CV or Mod.

It's funny because my first thought (after destroying a car) was a crash dummy!  Somehow I don't think they bother putting underwear on crash dummies, but this is a family site.

Anyway, be interested to see what comes of it.  Looks like a good start!

Best wishes

--Bruce

Noswen said:

Initialisation

Slightly late to the party, but my start of a so far pretty simple entry for this month. Big problems with it so far are parts of the figure such as thighs and calves overlapping other parts which at the moment I have no idea how to correct (a bit of searching might be happening soon), as well as the hands not yet being posed quite correctly.

I also feel that for this concept the figure not having any clothes on would be more appropriate, but I am unsure of the rules, so not going there.

I saw this skin a few times and like him a much. Can I ask you, in which package he is available?

Noswen said:

Initialisation

I saw this skin a few times and like him a much. Can I ask you, in which package he is available?

This was done in Daz3d using iRay. This version is right out of iRay render. I attempted to add smoke to the scene but could not get it looking like I wanted even with Sickle Yields smoke. I am sure that I just need to spend some time with it to get it how I want but I plan to add it in post via PS.

Many elements from different scenes were used and combined. I changed many surface materials and am happy with the overall composition, though I am torn about DoF on this and may try some other things/angles to be able to manipulate the DoF how I want.

Studio Shoot

Studio Shoot Retouch

Who needs smoke in this beautiful render?wink

Great light and atmosphere, I see nothing what you could improve in this pic. yes

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

Initialisation

It's one of my favourite figures and it's this one: https://www.daz3d.com/pix-venus500-for-genesis-8-female

Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

Initialisation

It's one of my favourite figures and it's this one: https://www.daz3d.com/pix-venus500-for-genesis-8-female

Thx for the link. :)

• rcbcgreenpanzerrcbcgreenpanzer Posts: 99
    edited December 2017

17-12-dforce-test-mk0

I kinda missed jumping on the bandwagon when the explosion of dForce stuff came out, but since then I've started finding some time to experiment. My initial plan was to pose her mid-dance, run dForce, and see what came of it. Mind you, initially I was also trying to get her hair flying via dForce, so multiple crashes later...

Between a simpler, closer-to-starting-T pose and not trying to simulate hair, I was able to get dForce to complete without crashing! My next plan is to try setting up an animation timeline starting from a something like this and ending with a more mid-dance pose. Speaking of which, depending on what the scene's trying to say, this pose might need more tweaking. It's a bit more belligerent than what I originally envisioned.

Also, this is a starting foray into mucking about with textures. (Okay, it was just a single texture.) I don't like the stock tops that Trumpet Dress comes with. (The floral and lace styles are fine as outerwear, but send a very different message as the only thing covering up top.) So I tried to give it a top to match the Fade Out bottom. Cue a bunch of wrestling with Gimp's selection mechanics, and I think I like the effect.

Comments, criticisms, advice on dForce/animating, condemnations of my fashion sense (or lack thereof)?

Post edited by rcbcgreenpanzer on
    edited December 2017

Welcome back, although I don't think you were active when I started in Sept.  Think I recognize the avatar though.  Didn't you do a sniper scene one month?  Thought it was unique idea for camera angle.  Who would photograph snipers standing up?  : 0 !

Anyway, probably already aware of only thing I can see with with this one.  Going to relax her hands a bit?  Nice facial expression, but her fists look ready to smack someone.  : )

Best wishes on it!

PS: haven't tried dForce yet.  So much to learn in DS.  Be interesting to see where your entry goes!

• rickweshrickwesh Posts: 26
    edited January 2018

'Model 99'

Image removed for nudity

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Noswen said:

Initialisation

@Noswen The parts of the body pulling into each other is kind of difficult as there is no collide with self in the settings. I belive the bend control by Zev0 would be a product helping with that (depending on the generation this lady is from there are different. Then there is the possibility to use d-forners on the legs and belly, which is a challenge but possible.

About the "nude" thing, with the skin being clearly that of a robot and positioned the way it is (breasts covered by arms and the backside only from the side) this could go full monty. Alternatively you could as well use smoke or a cloth to cover critical parts and leave the figure itself nude.

Studio Shoot

Studio Shoot Retouch

This is looking really nice, the use of lihgt is excellent and the mirrored part adds more to it. I really like the textures you use as well. I don't really believe you need smoke in this but in any case, the experience I made with smoke and similar atmospheric effects is that it makes sense to reduce opacity ba a significant amount and rather use several layers at different opacity intensities.

Rendered this one last night, but getting over having a wisedom tooth removed yesterday had me sleeping in like you wouldn't beleave today.

Take good care of yourself so you don't get infection, the background texture looks interesting, I'm sure there is more to come with this image ;)

Tynkere said:

@ Shinji

---
    @ Everyone

The following PSA:

---

---

@Tynkere this looks like a cool start, I like the deformed car and the guy sitting on the floor( I think hes a bit too low sinking into the street atm) btu the story needs the description yet, why is the godess looking at the camera? is she the one talking? The size difference is there but I think it could be more obvious for the image to tell the story itself. Maybe as well place her a bit away from the car, so we see mor of the car and her better set apart by contrasting on the darker background, maybe let the guy still look a bit in awe at the godess (even while sitting on the floor and touching his neck)

Geffe said:

This is looking really nice, and the red backlight is great, but I guss a bit more illumination on the lady in front would still help

daybird said:

After I failed, to do good post work in Gimp, I tried in Daz to make changes. 

It was really difficult to erase the harsh lights on the buildings, because I only light the scene with a primitive that I use as sun. (Enviroment intesity from dome is set to. 0.0097)

The buildings are from the www.daz3d.com/airport-island-city-center and have extreme shiny and reflecting surfaces. I tried so many things, to erase the shiny roof from the round tower, but get no succeed. So I dropped him out and replaced him with another building from the set.

After that, I reduced the DoF, Environment map/lighting resolution a little. I also canceled the bloom effect, but still miss him and maybe I tried another render. The rendertime is stil high (15h), but I like this set a much. 

I think this has improved with that bright building gone, If you use a primitive as amin light source you could try to give it a slight tilt upwart so some rays can come around the face of the girl to rive this rim light (assuming you use the bottom of a cylinder that is, with a sphere its more complicated, you could squish it flat, use one axis scale, and then tilt)

17-12-dforce-test-mk0

I kinda missed jumping on the bandwagon when the explosion of dForce stuff came out, but since then I've started finding some time to experiment. My initial plan was to pose her mid-dance, run dForce, and see what came of it. Mind you, initially I was also trying to get her hair flying via dForce, so multiple crashes later...

Between a simpler, closer-to-starting-T pose and not trying to simulate hair, I was able to get dForce to complete without crashing! My next plan is to try setting up an animation timeline starting from a something like this and ending with a more mid-dance pose. Speaking of which, depending on what the scene's trying to say, this pose might need more tweaking. It's a bit more belligerent than what I originally envisioned.

Also, this is a starting foray into mucking about with textures. (Okay, it was just a single texture.) I don't like the stock tops that Trumpet Dress comes with. (The floral and lace styles are fine as outerwear, but send a very different message as the only thing covering up top.) So I tried to give it a top to match the Fade Out bottom. Cue a bunch of wrestling with Gimp's selection mechanics, and I think I like the effect.

Comments, criticisms, advice on dForce/animating, condemnations of my fashion sense (or lack thereof)?

I havn't gone into depth with d-force yet. so not a lot of help there aside from pointing you to this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more#latest

and this one https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203671/let-s-see-your-dforce-renders-experiments-interesting-results#latest

I really like your change on the texture and the light in the render. As for poses, in the moment she look more ready to fight that dance to me ;)

One word on the DOF, I belive you have reduced the F/stop value below 22? This causes to let the scene look like a small model, especially when you go very low, You have that effect here a bit, so I guess going a bit up the the value would work better

Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

It was really difficult to erase the harsh lights on the buildings, because I only light the scene with a primitive that I use as sun. (Enviroment intesity from dome is set to. 0.0097)

The buildings are from the www.daz3d.com/airport-island-city-center and have extreme shiny and reflecting surfaces. I tried so many things, to erase the shiny roof from the round tower, but get no succeed. So I dropped him out and replaced him with another building from the set.

After that, I reduced the DoF, Environment map/lighting resolution a little. I also canceled the bloom effect, but still miss him and maybe I tried another render. The rendertime is stil high (15h), but I like this set a much. 

I think this has improved with that bright building gone, If you use a primitive as amin light source you could try to give it a slight tilt upwart so some rays can come around the face of the girl to rive this rim light (assuming you use the bottom of a cylinder that is, with a sphere its more complicated, you could squish it flat, use one axis scale, and then tilt)

Yes I use a sphere as lightsource and to be honest, I have no clue what you want me to do.blush

edited January 2018
    rickwesh said:

'Model 99'

Image removed for nudity

I like how the light hits her back, especially her hair looks great this way.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 2017
    daybird said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

Yes I use a sphere as lightsource and to be honest, I have no clue what you want me to do.blush

Ahem, sorry! Have one of my crappy drawings for explanation LOL.

What you want to achice is the rim light effect as the original had, right? So, with a sphere as light source the light is emitted equally in all directions, which is what thse sun does , true enough, but our real llife sun is far enough away and is the photo you used already low enough that our atmosphere bend the rays in a way that the rim light effect can happen.

with a sphere in a "normal seized" render setting that can not be simulated. so you can use something flat in my crappy draing a plane but it can be a bottom of a cylinder as well so you have the round thingy as sun. If you put that in a 90° relation to the figure the light can not come around, so you tilt it slightly upwart so some rays can hit from below the figure and there the rimlight should be. With the sphere already there you could try to flatten that enough in one direction that you get a disk and that again you can tilt ( should work in theory as well)

raymovement.png
    800 x 1000 - 64K
    Post edited by Linwelly on