Dynamic clothing

2»

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    But why do you have to use animation to pose before you can drape the clothing? Why will it not just drape on a normally posed figure? (I am not really sure I understand any of this tbh)
    You can just use a single Drape it's just not as efficient as the animated method. I often find I need to drape multi times to get a good drape without using the animation method.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,201
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sertorial said:
    But why do you have to use animation to pose before you can drape the clothing? Why will it not just drape on a normally posed figure? (I am not really sure I understand any of this tbh)
    You can just use a single Drape it's just not as efficient as the animated method. I often find I need to drape multi times to get a good drape without using the animation method.

Some items can't be rigged to follow a figure - for example, sleeves that are very large and hang down below the arms are usually problematic. Also and animated drape allows for interaction with other items - for example, havuing the cloth drape naturally over a chair when the figure sits which would not work with a static drape when the cloth would start out passing through the chair.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited April 2013

Sertorial said:
    chohole said:
    Dyanamic clothing relies on an short animation in order to drape the clothing correctly.

On frame 1 have the figure in the default T position with the clothing on it as accurately as you can get it. THen move to a later frame and pose the "Human" figure in the pose you want, then run an animation, as the figure animates the clothing will start fitting itself to the figure.

A simplistic description because, as I said earlier, I use the Poser cloth room, not the DS one, but the principle is much the same.

I'm not following you. What do you mean by frame 1?

An animation is a series of frames. Frame 1 refers to the first frame in the animation. Now, I realise that you don't intend to actually RENDER an animation, but you will still need to animate the drape otherwise it will not only look wrong, but will probably not even fit the character you're trying to put the clothing onto.

1) Start at the T-Pose. Move the character into the spot where you want them to be in the final render.
    2) Overlay the clothing over them ensuring you do NOT change the characters pose and that it fits with minimal poke through.
    3) Advance the frames forward by going to the timeline tab. About 10 frames should be enough for basic poses. Add more if the movement is going to be fairly complex, such as sitting cross legged or arms crossed.
    4) Set your pose. Note that the clothing still won't actually follow the figure at this point, but that's fine.
    5) Go back to frame 1 and run the drape for the 10-15 frames you had advanced earlier.
    6) After the drape is completed, you can now render. In the render settings, render the FINAL frame of the animation you just created. This ensures the final output is a still image and not an animation or image sequence.

Yes, I realise you're not trying to make an animation, but you need to work with dynamic clothing as if you WERE trying to do an animation. Otherwise it simply won't look right.

Sorry, I think I must be very stupid because I still can't understand your instructions. So i am basically creating a 10 or 15 frame animation which goes from the T-pose to the pose I actually want. I think I get that bit.

I don't get your step 5) what do you mean "run the drape for the 10-15 frames" ? Do I run the drape for frame 1? (because that would be the T-pose, presumably). Or for frame 15? Or do I have to drape it separately for each frame? (not sure why I'd do that, as it would take ages, and I only want the final pose in frame 15). Or am I trying to actually create a moving animation and drape it while the figure is moving?

Thanks

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

You do it as a Animated Drape and it will Auto do all the Frames from the T pose to the End Pose you set up as the frames.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The drape isn't like Poser's drape. It not only calculates the initial fitting, but also the movement of the cloth as the character moves to its final pose. The wording is a bit misleading in that sense. If it helps, think of the drape button as a 'calculate dynamics' button instead.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You do it as a Animated Drape and it will Auto do all the Frames from the T pose to the End Pose you set up as the frames.

AHA!! So it's the "animated drape" command - that runs the animation while it drapes. That what the bit I was missing. Thank you!

edited April 2013

Jaderail said:

AHA!! So it's the "animated drape" command - that runs the animation while it drapes. That what the bit I was missing. Thank you!

The drape isn't like Poser's drape. It not only calculates the initial fitting, but also the movement of the cloth as the character moves to its final pose. The wording is a bit misleading in that sense. If it helps, think of the drape button as a 'calculate dynamics' button instead.

Thanks, but comparisons to Poser don't mean anything to me as I have never used it.

EDIT: Ok, I just tried it. Amazing results! One question though.. why does it carry on animating beyond the final frame I put my desired pose on? It just seems to keep draping more frames but the pose is already finished ??

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

It will drape from the current frame to the end of the timeline, though you can cancel it if it's wasting time. For some items you might want it to run on after the figure had reached the final pose to allow the drape to settle out.

edited December 1969

dynamic clothing is a real pain to work with. It's ok if you only have one garment, but once you have more than one, the animations start interfering with each other! You do an animated drape on the first garment, then when you animated drape the second, it animates the first and wrecks all the draping. Also if you try and translate a figure that's been draped, the clothing stays where it was and un-drapes!! Nightmare! Does anyone actually use this stuff? I don't know if I can be bothered, it's terrible.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    dynamic clothing is a real pain to work with. It's ok if you only have one garment, but once you have more than one, the animations start interfering with each other! You do an animated drape on the first garment, then when you animated drape the second, it animates the first and wrecks all the draping. Also if you try and translate a figure that's been draped, the clothing stays where it was and un-drapes!! Nightmare! Does anyone actually use this stuff? I don't know if I can be bothered, it's terrible.

There is an option on the Dynamic Clothing tab on the right arrow with 4 lines button in the upper right hand corner that will freeze you dynamic garment. Changes it into a prop, that will no longer be affected by the DCC any more. You then can animate the drape of your next garment by changing what it will collide with to include the new prop.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

There is an option on the Dynamic Clothing tab on the right arrow with 4 lines button in the upper right hand corner that will freeze you dynamic garment. Changes it into a prop, that will no longer be affected by the DCC any more. You then can animate the drape of your next garment by changing what it will collide with to include the new prop.

Aha! Brilliant! I love you!

:)

edited December 1969

Second TIP: Always have your Figures where they will be at the end of the DRAPE before you drape. Moving will kill it unless you FREEZE first.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Second TIP: Always have your Figures where they will be at the end of the DRAPE before you drape. Moving will kill it unless you FREEZE first.

I gather there are meant to be a whole pile of controls for the dynamic clothing tab (such as wind direction etc). Mine has none of them. How come?

Untitled-1.jpg
    262 x 403 - 47K
    edited July 2013

Only the Pay for Dynamics version has All the controls, DS ships with Basic Dynamics built in.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Only the Pay for Dynamics version has All the controls, DS ships with Basic Dynamics built in.

oh, ok. thanks

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

OK, did I miss something? Why is it no one is fitting their dynamic cloths to the figure? Now you may have to skip it to use mil4 clothes on genesis, but mil4 clothes will "fit to" mil4 figures. It's step 2 for me.
    You don't have to move the clothes to the figure, fit to will. Once on the figure the clothes will animate to the figure with out draping. Optitex clothes are rigged so will pose with and conform to the figure.

Edit to add: Optitex freebies to play with http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload01.php

fito.jpg
    600 x 224 - 29K
    Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Not all dynamic clothing can be Fit to - it has to be reasonably close to the base shape for that to be an option.

edited July 2013

In Short order, V4 Dynamic will Fit-to V4, M4 Dynamic will Fit-to M4 , Genesis Dynamic will Fit-to Genesis BASE but Base only. To work on other figures I do Scale UP in T pose, (If the item loads in T pose) and then move so it is on the Figure, I then Set Collision to the Figure and Test if it Shrinks properly to the Figure, it should. I then go back and pose Figure and Then POSE the Item with same pose, Adjusting as needed, then I drape. Of Course this method can and does fail as often as it works. I've never found the reason why it does or does not work.

The Adjusting Is done on the Figure Not the Dynamic.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I can actually get the majority of my V4 dynamics and others fitted-to my A3-based figures and adjust individual body parts (starting from the hip and working outwards) to get close enough for a workable initial drape. It's sometimes not easy and almost always not fast, though. Most of the remainder I have to use an un-fitted animated drape from the T-pose. And don't forget the occasional dynamic item that can't be fitted-to because it's a prop, e.g. the Dynamic Cape or the skirts for Dynamic Dancer.

edited December 1969

I can actually get the majority of my V4 dynamics and others fitted-to my A3-based figures and adjust individual body parts (starting from the hip and working outwards) to get close enough for a workable initial drape. It's sometimes not easy and almost always not fast, though. Most of the remainder I have to use an un-fitted animated drape from the T-pose. And don't forget the occasional dynamic item that can't be fitted-to because it's a prop, e.g. the Dynamic Cape or the skirts for Dynamic Dancer.
    That brings up a point I over looked before, I have the Full Dynamic Plugin and those items DO collide with multi items just to work, I have used Hidden PINS (primitive cylinders) to collide against even in the free built in version of the dynamics, I've been able to set collision to more than one item from the start. Even other Dynamic Clothing Items. Maybe I need to do some testing in DS4.6 with and Without the full plugin and see whats going on.