Is there another term for female sideburns?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited December 2017 in The Commons

When women wear hairstyles with hair dangling in front of their ears, are the hairs called sideburns?  Is there another term?  A better term?

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• Hair wisps.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

When female hair has faked sideburns as a fashion thing it is part of the actual hair that is allowed to grow to fake them  and is part of the fringe (or bangs if you are more used to that term).   I have never heard of them having an actual name 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Where's RAMWolff he would know fersure

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,755

Those aren't called sideburns, as many women, especially those with darker hair, actually have real sideburns, also commonly called "baby hairs", though they're normally much lighter than those of males.  Since a lot of women spend a lot of time and money trying to remove those, I wouldn't advise calling them that.  Wisps, as agent unawares said, is generally the correct name for ones like those in your image, though side-bangs is also used when they're thicker. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

oh those sideburns.  angel

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thanks, if I ever make a hair freebie with that style, I will use terms such as wisps or side bangs.  

@Mistarasurprise  Already had a post trimmed recently so won't comment further.  Get it?  In a thread on hair styles, I said trimmed.  cheeky

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited December 2017

Those are called payot.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Given that what I call a fringe seems to be known as bangs by Americans, if they do have a name it could vary depending on where you are from

Diomede said:

Thanks, if I ever make a hair freebie with that style, I will use terms such as wisps or side bangs.  

@Mistarasurprise  Already had a post trimmed recently so won't comment further.  Get it?  In a thread on hair styles, I said trimmed.  cheeky

So you just cut off the excess hair talk?  How barberic.

he didn't want to get into stubble...

edited December 2017

I wouldn't want to cut off  excess hair talk.  I combed several websites looking for the answer, but I knew the forums would be the best place to ask.

Cybersox said:
    Diomede said:

So you just cut off the excess hair talk?  How barberic.

PhilW said:

Given that what I call a fringe seems to be known as bangs by Americans, if they do have a name it could vary depending on where you are from

Fringe is used here as well, but Bangs is much more common, probablyi because men also have bangs and fringe sounds more feminine. FWIW, according to wiki, the term bangs originally came from a method of cutting a horse's tail hair that's called a bang-off.  The things you learn while reading forums... 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
    Cybersox said:
    PhilW said:

Fringe is used here as well, but Bangs is much more common, probablyi because men also have bangs and fringe sounds more feminine. FWIW, according to wiki, the term bangs originally came from a method of cutting a horse's tail hair that's called a bang-off.  The things you learn while reading forums... 

All this time I thought bangs were the curtains of hair covering my forehead. surprise

smiley

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

Now that takes me back a bit...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Sorry folks, as a hairdresser for over 35 years they are called sideburns if they are kept short.  When they are longer and part of the hair style (as in something that's pulled back or put behind the ear) then it's just part of the hairstyle and isn't really referred as something separate from the overall hair style.  When you wear your hair short , as in a pixie or even shorter you then have sideburns.  My clients that wear their hair short call them that without even thinking and these are very feminine women. 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Toldja he'd know ...laugh

JOdel said:

Now that takes me back a bit...

the sign?

i searched on vintage barber signs

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 2017

My hairdresser calls them sideburns on ladies too. Some ladies who get their hair in a pixie cut like to emphasize those with product. It looks cute I think. It cuts up the plane of the face too if you have a certain face shape.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

What do I call them when I shave my head?  

RAMWolff said:

Sorry folks, as a hairdresser for over 35 years they are called sideburns if they are kept short.  When they are longer and part of the hair style (as in something that's pulled back or put behind the ear) then it's just part of the hairstyle and isn't really referred as something separate from the overall hair style.  When you wear your hair short , as in a pixie or even shorter you then have sideburns.  My clients that wear their hair short call them that without even thinking and these are very feminine women. 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    jakiblue said:

RAMWolff said:

Gone? cheeky

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    SimonJM said:
    jakiblue said:

RAMWolff said:

Gone? cheeky

This!

SimonJM said:
    jakiblue said:

RAMWolff said:

Gone? cheeky

laugh

• I've always called them sideburns too, without any stigma attached to it.

Thanks to everyone for the clarifications, especially RAMWolff for the professional insight.    

SimonJM said:
    jakiblue said:

RAMWolff said:

Gone? cheeky

Sinead?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    Mistara said:
    SimonJM said:
    jakiblue said:

RAMWolff said:

Gone? cheeky

Sinead?

LOL!

• My wife has those side burns and I call them "MUTTON CHOPS"  :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

no,  these are mutton chops

edited December 2017

Here is a chart of 19th century American Civil War facial hair according to one study.  The link includes a pic of the famous Ambrose Burnside.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/70620/scientific-analysis-civil-war-beards

See the pics at the top of each bar of the chart.

beard chart.png
    620 x 417 - 125K