Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited November 2017

Seems I'm talking to myself here, anyways here is an experiment with https://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-eternal-sands turned Iray

The challenge was that the skyskape and further back dunes are inside a box, so to make them Iray available I turned the Boxwalls into an emissive Iray shader. The Norhwall carries the sun so I had to dial that side up for Luminescence. Looking at all other the wall sides this works nice, but the northwall gives a break in the light, so for renders facing the sun I need to come up with something else.

looking_back.png
    2000 x 750 - 1M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • I actually like how this came out, honestly.  I'm interested in seeing the next one you render. :) Not talking to yourself, just eyeball deep in promo work. lol

I actually like how this came out, honestly.  I'm interested in seeing the next one you render. :) Not talking to yourself, just eyeball deep in promo work. lol

Haha, thanks and sorry for sounding whiny, it's not like I'm any better with commenting on other peoples works, sometimes there is time for that and other times it get drowned in a heep of other stuff that calls for attention. And then I'm not posting that much in the moment as I'm trying to get my story  written, I plan to finish that until the end of November so I can strat transcripting seriously and get into rendering. so mostly ist experiments and scenes here in the moment.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Wow! That is cool and very clever to use emissives!
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Oooh... I really like the dunes - even better, it's so timely for me. I've got a scene rendering that uses a winter Easy Environments with a skybox. I really just wanted the foreground, so I hid the skybox, but it never even occurred to me to play with it the way you did. I'm definitely going to have to experiment with it a bit!

Chameo said:

Oooh... I really like the dunes - even better, it's so timely for me. I've got a scene rendering that uses a winter Easy Environments with a skybox. I really just wanted the foreground, so I hid the skybox, but it never even occurred to me to play with it the way you did. I'm definitely going to have to experiment with it a bit!

when you transfer to boxwall surfaces to the emissive make sure you keep the shift button pressed so the original maps won't get lost. You then still need to put the respective side image into the emissive colour channel, it doesn't do that by itself. I turned the emission temperature to 5000 ( daysky light ) and the luminance to 5000 cd/m2. But depending on your set there might be other settings more useful. I only have this one set yet.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Nope not talking to yourself.  I will be back later this afternoon/evening and take a good look.  I often feel the same way although I know a lot of people lurk and don't comment either lol.

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    Linwelly said:
    Chameo said:

when you transfer to boxwall surfaces to the emissive make sure you keep the shift button pressed so the original maps won't get lost. You then still need to put the respective side image into the emissive colour channel, it doesn't do that by itself. I turned the emission temperature to 5000 ( daysky light ) and the luminance to 5000 cd/m2. But depending on your set there might be other settings more useful. I only have this one set yet.

Thanks for the details! I'll share results of my experiments when I get to them, too.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

I know the feeling of talking to yourself, but I don't actually mind (either), if that makes sense. I'm bad at posting one-liners like 'Nice work' or 'well done' all the time. I do occasionally, but I prefer to only comment if I have something more substantial to say :)

That said, I happily lurk on various Art Studio threads, your being one of them.

Love the sandy one. Lookt liek a useful environment to have. *adds to wishlist*

mori_mann said:

I know the feeling of talking to yourself, but I don't actually mind (either), if that makes sense. I'm bad at posting one-liners like 'Nice work' or 'well done' all the time. I do occasionally, but I prefer to only comment if I have something more substantial to say :)

That said, I happily lurk on various Art Studio threads, your being one of them.

Love the sandy one. Lookt liek a useful environment to have. *adds to wishlist*

Thanks Mori, I guess at times most of us feel that way. But I know what you mean about the comments, sometimes there is not much to say. More often than not I struggle for words as well.

Yes those dunes will find a use in my story at some pointm  which is so far in the future, i don't dare even say how long it will take til then

edited November 2017

Another evening spend on one little detail for my story.. creating a scifi platine so my repairshop people have something to look at when they open some electrical device to repair...

The surfaced i opened for this testredner wasn't ideal as the poly I too out was huge but as I said, its just a small test. I tried to export and reimport but It would't keep my surfaces wich is really a pity, so I needed to save as a set. If anybody knows a remedy to that problem please tell me.

scifi-platine.png
    1000 x 800 - 1006K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Linwelly said:

This is really nice- has a good soothing effect, very contemplative mood.

Thanks a lot Novica, I guess I need a larger screen for stuff like that, I really like that format

edited November 2017

another concept work, this time a bit of the scenery in which my story will take place

Not sure if I'm happy with this but basically it's going the right direction, the area where the life-cells (for lack of better word, suggestions welcome) are placed and how they will appear from the outside. Not sure either if the size is getting clear from this either ( the are supposed to be about 50 stories high) or if I should place them closer to each other.

as usual Iray with postwork in Gimp 2.8

Taiduo_scape-concept.png
    2000 x 750 - 2M
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Very cool alien landscape!

Very cool alien landscape!

thanks a lot, its our future on earth in my story

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Very cool, but I'm not really quite getting the scale you are going for.  I don't know why exactly.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Linwelly said:

another concept work, this time a bit of the scenery in which my story will take place

Not sure if I'm happy with this but basically it's going the right direction, the area where the life-cells (for lack of better word, suggestions welcome) are placed and how they will appear from the outside. Not sure either if the size is getting clear from this either ( the are supposed to be about 50 stories high) or if I should place them closer to each other.

as usual Iray with postwork in Gimp 2.8

So they are infact enormous? I think in that case maybe the DOF isn't quite right, they look more like miniatures to me. Apart from that I really like the lightning,very postapocalypticyes.

Very cool, but I'm not really quite getting the scale you are going for.  I don't know why exactly.

So they are infact enormous? I think in that case maybe the DOF isn't quite right, they look more like miniatures to me. Apart from that I really like the lightning,very postapocalypticyes.

Sven is right and that is the answer to your wondering why Sonja.

I knew the DOF would be too much and was afraid it would give the miniature feeling. I still kept it that way as just one click more in the dof range would have made such a huge difference that the second of the buildings woudl still have been inside.

One of the reasons I'm not entirely happy, but I'm not sure how to handle it. One way would be to increase the size of the comeplete scene but I frear the terrain wouln't handle that very well.

There is probably some possibility still hidden in the other camera settings but things like aperture Blades and the like are nothing I yet understood. Maybe I could change focal length and frame width and move in with the camera so the distance to the obfect in DOF is reduced but I wanted to keep that bit of rock in front.

So suggestions are welcome

edited November 2017
    Linwelly said:

Two things on my mind fwiw:

Maybe lower the camera so you can see some detail on the ground, as it is now I get the feeling the camera is held by someone 5 feet tall standing on the ground, which enhances the "miniature" feel. If you lower it and angle it a bit upwards maybe the life cells look taller/bigger?

The most obvious thing which I'm sure you already considered is to add something familiar like a figure or vehicle or plant, which instantly would give a sense of scale, but I still think if you play with the DOF and focal length a bit you will find a solution;)

By the way the cells look spectacular, would love to see a closer shot of one of them!

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    Linwelly said:

Two things on my mind fwiw:

Maybe lower the camera so you can see some detail on the ground, as it is now I get the feeling the camera is held by someone 5 feet tall standing on the ground, which enhances the "miniature" feel. If you lower it and angle it a bit upwards maybe the life cells look taller/bigger?

The most obvious thing which I'm sure you already considered is to add something familiar like a figure or vehicle or plant, which instantly would give a sense of scale, but I still think if you play with the DOF and focal length a bit you will find a solution;)

By the way the cells look spectacular, would love to see a closer shot of one of them!

I have a second camera on a lower position, ended up using the higher as the lower one got stuck in the mist. And yes I was thinking about something to give it relation in size, I know I have the trailer of a military truck somewhere but I need the car part of it.  For a closer shot I would need to get some parts far more detailed than I haven them now, its planned but not on the top of my list

edited November 2017

this one was made for Llolas render a month challenge

Elements

a little hommage to Luc Bessons movie 5th Element.

Iray, postwork in Gimp2.8

the monuments are from DMs Druid valley which transfered to Iray very easy. the characters are FW Brooke and Darwins Jackson

Elements.png
    2000 x 1600 - 6M

Very nice render indeed! And the movie is good too, seen it a number of timeswink

ok November is at an end and I'm now calling my skript finished, well finisched enough to start transcription now.

I had planned to write more but in the end the flue got the better of me for some days and other RL stuff wanted my attention but I still have a good feeling of haveng it wrapped up , all loose ends tied and to me the whole thing makes sense. I ended up with 22k words, which is more than I ever expected myself to write out of my own free will.

Transcripting will take some time as well but I'm going to finish that only for the first chapter. So i can finally start rendering the whole thing ( I'm itching to get it into images now). I'll go transcripting the rest as I go.

For those interested: I'm going to make a little Q&A as my x-mas special this year, over at my dA account, so watch for the shout out sometime on the weekend (I will be away for Saturday and have work on Sunday, so I'm not sure when I will put it up exactly.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Congrats,

Thank you World_Edge!

edited December 2017

Here is what I plan as a header for my comic to be used as a banner for advertising, let me hear what you think, would it make you click and look what the story might be?

headbanner.png
    1998 x 370 - 1M
    edited December 2017
    Linwelly said:

Here is what I plan as a header for my comic to be used as a banner for advertising, let me hear what you think, would it make you click and look what the story might be?

I think it's gorgeous, the eyes look great! Very inviting indeed!

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Linwelly said:

Yes, I'd click to see what the story is about.

Trish

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Yes, I would also click to see what the story was about.