Luxus discussion

Comments

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    BUT, if I share, you have to share, too. I want the settings for python guy. :-P

Sure, I shared them some time ago already.

U and V Roughness: 0.2
    Specular color: Grayish blue
    Volume: Homogeneous
    Absorption color of 0 157 255.
    Absortion Scale: 4

:)

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Slosh said:
    BUT, if I share, you have to share, too. I want the settings for python guy. :-P

I saw this when you posted it, but I was hoping for more information. I tried these settings, after first converting the Benjamin textures to LuxRender Glossy-Translucent with Volume. Then applied your settings, but my results are shown below. Not really even close. You can't even tell what race he is. I am posting my settings for the Freak render in a new thread titled "Luxus skin material settings"

Thanks!

d30.png
    450 x 600 - 345K
    edited December 1969

Here is my latest render. David 5 with default texture. Added an earring and also the necklace from Effortless Cool. Hair is Xavior hair. I spent a lot of time trying to get skin to look more natural than the skin I did on Freak. Also, the hair was a big challenge, but I really like the results. I want to try the settings on some other hair styles and see if it works as well as it did here. Lastly, the eyes. For some reason, glass and glass2 both seem to want to render black for me, even when I set them to volume clear. So, I was forced to put a solid black texture map into the opacity channel. That did the trick.

Let me know what you think. I would love the feedback. I see areas that I would like to be able to make it better, but I don't want to point them out myself. I would rather see if they are real, or just my overcritical thinking.

D5.png
    642 x 856 - 483K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    czexana said:
    Szark said:
    20ish years ago man I have only been around this stuff for 4 years. Yep still green and wet behind the ears.

Time isn't everything. I've always been reasonably proficient on the technical side of things, but looking through your render thread you were a better artist in this medium from the start than I'll ever be. :vampire: :-)

:coolsmile:

Aew shuck, thank you czexana. :)

Slosh to be honest I just went for 32 as it seemed like a good idea at the time. I haven't tried a lower setting than 32 but more than the default 16. Well I did some tests and I hilt the bullseye as 32 does the job. I lowered it to 24 and went up by two, would have been quicker if I tried 30 first. LOL. But i did have to render in Path mode. Still haven't figured out why it won't work in Bidirectional but it is rendering now and doing a nice job so I am going to leave of for 2 or 3 days to render.

Whilst trying to find out why Hybrid keeps stalling at render and found that when I do try Hybrid no displacement is taking place. Looked through the whole Lux forum and no one seems to have crossed this issue with renders stopping without any halt limits being applied. Could be a simple thing of not enough memory. When I get a chance I will ask over on the lux forums but I want to dig more in to my system first. :) ATI's don't have a workgroup setting so I need to research OpenCL settings in the Catalyst if there are any that is. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Szark said:
    czexana said:
    Szark said:
    20ish years ago man I have only been around this stuff for 4 years. Yep still green and wet behind the ears.

Time isn't everything. I've always been reasonably proficient on the technical side of things, but looking through your render thread you were a better artist in this medium from the start than I'll ever be. :vampire: :-)

:coolsmile:

Aew shuck, thank you czexana. :)

Slosh to be honest I just went for 32 as it seemed like a good idea at the time. I haven't tried a lower setting than 32 but more than the default 16. Well I did some tests and I hilt the bullseye as 32 does the job. I lowered it to 24 and went up by two, would have been quicker if I tried 30 first. LOL. But i did have to render in Path mode. Still haven't figured out why it won't work in Bidirectional but it is rendering now and doing a nice job so I am going to leave of for 2 or 3 days to render.

Whilst trying to find out why Hybrid keeps stalling at render and found that when I do try Hybrid no displacement is taking place. Looked through the whole Lux forum and no one seems to have crossed this issue with renders stopping without any halt limits being applied. Could be a simple thing of not enough memory. When I get a chance I will ask over on the lux forums but I want to dig more in to my system first. :) ATI's don't have a workgroup setting so I need to research OpenCL settings in the Catalyst if there are any that is. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how you got settings that went over 16. I set my renderer to hybrid, but not sure which Sampler to choose. Then I scroll way down to Surface Integrator, set it to Path. Surface Integrator - Light Strategy, what to choose? Auto? One? Then what? The sliders here only seem to go up to 16, and I don't know if it's a good idea to disable limits on them to push them higher. Or, is this not even the setting you all have been talking about?

I am confused. Attached image of render settings panel as I have it set.

Capture.PNG
    447 x 699 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Ok dokey see the little cog wheel right to the value, click on that a choose "Parameter settings" in the new box type in a new value in the MAX box and Accept. You can now mover the slider or enter the value manually. This is a Daz Studio function where you will find throughout Daz Stduo great for using extreme Genesis Evolution Morphs beyond the max. Same with surfaces etc.

The only other render settings I changed from the defualts was the Surface Intergrator to Path.

edited December 1969

BUT I did find that I had to change the Max setting on the Surface Integrator Path - Maxdepth everytime I repoened the scene in Daz Studio...It won't save.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok dokey see the little cog wheel right to the value, click on that a choose "Parameter settings" in the new box type in a new value in the MAX box and Accept. You can now mover the slider or enter the value manually. This is a Daz Studio function where you will find throughout Daz Stduo great for using extreme Genesis Evolution Morphs beyond the max. Same with surfaces etc.

The only other render settings I changed from the defualts was the Surface Intergrator to Path.

I appreciate you pointing it out, though I already knew about that. This is what I meant when I said "I don’t know if it’s a good idea to disable limits on them to push them higher". Most cases I don't mind messing with the parameters, but I didn't know if Lux would blow up on me if I pushed it.

So the other settings I show up there are okay?

edited April 2013

Well there is no need to increase the Bidirectional Light and Eye Depth if you are using Path. Just increase the Surface Integrator Path - Maxdepth to 32 after changing the limits.

As for increasing this one setting, my render has been going for 16 hours without any problems but I am not using Hybrid Mode rendering

If you are unsure just reset the render settings to default and start again. So for you change to Hybrid and Surface Intergrator to Path, change the Surface Integrator Path - Maxdepth to 32.

Also I choose Linear > Tone Mapping kernal for total control over the Sun and HDRI that I have lighting my scene and used the Lux UI.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well there is no need to increase the Bidirectional Light and Eye Depth if you are using Path. Just increase the Surface Integrator Path - Maxdepth to 32 after changing the limits.

As for increasing this one setting, my render has been going for 16 hours without any problems but I am not using Hybrid Mode rendering

Oh, so these settings are not useful only for hybrid? That's good news. I really like the renderer I am using (sample with lowdiscrepancy). Works good for skin and hair. Haven't seen if it is useful for architectural materials.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Most cases I don't mind messing with the parameters, but I didn't know if Lux would blow up on me if I pushed it.

FWIW, I use 48 for eye and light depth on BiDir as my default... And In the Elevator had them pushed up to 128. You won't blow up Lux, even if you set them to 10,000. Slow it down some, perhaps, but blow it up? No. No more memory is used for additional bounces (except for SLG, see below), just calculation time. And setting a high bounce count doesn't mean your rays will always go to that limit; there are a variety of ways rays can get terminated early (bounce into the void, run out of energy, Russian Roulette, etc).

The max bounces DOES affect SLG, however, because OpenCL doesn't support recursion, and using large depths WILL take more GPU memory. That doesn't affect Hybrid mode, though, since the ray generation still occurs on the CPU.

edited December 1969

Thanks to both of you. I am going to try re-rendering a recent image with some of these settings changes and see what kind of difference it makes.

edited December 1969

cwichura nice info cheers...I am learning so much from you my brain hurts. :)

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Hellboy said:
    Slosh said:

I saw this when you posted it, but I was hoping for more information. I tried these settings, after first converting the Benjamin textures to LuxRender Glossy-Translucent with Volume. Then applied your settings, but my results are shown below. Not really even close. You can't even tell what race he is. I am posting my settings for the Freak render in a new thread titled "Luxus skin material settings"

Thanks!

Weird, that's what I used. The gamma on everything was at 1, the light was a plane...
    Freak 5 and his textures are really bad. I don't know if something there is getting in the way.

If it doesn't have to do with the specular maps and lighting, I don't know what else to say.
    I'd love to see your settings too.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Here is my latest render. David 5 with default texture. Added an earring and also the necklace from Effortless Cool. Hair is Xavior hair. I spent a lot of time trying to get skin to look more natural than the skin I did on Freak. Also, the hair was a big challenge, but I really like the results. I want to try the settings on some other hair styles and see if it works as well as it did here. Lastly, the eyes. For some reason, glass and glass2 both seem to want to render black for me, even when I set them to volume clear. So, I was forced to put a solid black texture map into the opacity channel. That did the trick.

Let me know what you think. I would love the feedback. I see areas that I would like to be able to make it better, but I don't want to point them out myself. I would rather see if they are real, or just my overcritical thinking.

Looks like a photo to me.
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

Looks like a photo to me.

That's your plug-in there, pal! I love it, thanks for putting the work into it.

edited April 2013

I just remembered something... I made up this little chart of colors to speed up choosing absorption colors. This chart just shows several colors, random mostly, and the RGB values needed to achieve them in the absorption channels. The RGB values are the inverse of the color shown. Thought some others might find it helpful. Remember, too, you can decrease the saturation in any of these swatches by increasing the S (saturation) value on the HSB sliders. Same applies to lightening or darkening. Just remember to do the opposite of what you want with the sliders.

Edit: forgot to attach the image.

InvertColors.jpg
    1032 x 530 - 186K
    Post edited by Slosh on
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So gutted and near to abandoning this one, Can not for the life of me solve the the texture seams, tried high resolution with 2 levels of SubD but they just will not disappear, also there's lines on her index finger and a dark mark down the right side of her neck. Only using 1 medium sized mesh light, all skin parts are glossy translucent with volume.

dublin.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 298K
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    So gutted and near to abandoning this one, Can not for the life of me solve the the texture seams, tried high resolution with 2 levels of SubD but they just will not disappear, also there's lines on her index finger and a dark mark down the right side of her neck. Only using 1 medium sized mesh light, all skin parts are glossy translucent with volume.

What is your glossytrans specular IOR? It's looking like something that often happens when rendering glass. While the documentation recommends increasing the number of faces on the object to get rid of the darkened edges, you have clearly tried this already and it did not work. Therefore, I think that adjusting the IOR may eliminate this effect. Try it with 0 IOR just to see if it clears it up. I'm not sure if an increase or a decrease will take care of it. In case you don't already know it, 1.45 is the commonly accepted IOR for skin. I put the 1.45 in both specular IOR and volume IOR. Maybe that will help.

Link to this problem as it relates to glass (bottom of page): http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/New_User_Tips_and_Tricks

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

What happens if you pull your custom normal maps? Other thought is, if the figure is genesis, could you have ended up on the wrong UV map? Other issues aside, I really do like it.

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

What happens if you pull your custom normal maps? Other thought is, if the figure is genesis, could you have ended up on the wrong UV map? Other issues aside, I really do like it.

I like both of those suggestions, especially the one about the UV's. Sometimes there is the most subtle difference between M5, H5, F5, and D5. I have put M5 textures on H5 and they look okay in the preview, but as soon as you change the UV's over to H5, you can visibly see them shift ever so slightly on Hiro. That might be the answer! Can't wait to find out.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:

I like both of those suggestions, especially the one about the UV's. Sometimes there is the most subtle difference between M5, H5, F5, and D5. I have put M5 textures on H5 and they look okay in the preview, but as soon as you change the UV's over to H5, you can visibly see them shift ever so slightly on Hiro. That might be the answer! Can't wait to find out.

This is V4 though.

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

Its the normal maps :(

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:

This is V4 though.

Oh. Hmmph. I am frustrated for you, Michael. What I am seeing is that the seams are not simply visible and lighter, as they would be if say your shading rate was too high in 3delight or your textures didn't bleed over the UV borders, but they actually seem to be bumped. That's what I'm not understanding. Clearly your bump settings are not too high, or your skin would look like sandpaper.

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Michael_G said:

You posted this before I hit submit on my last post.

Hurray! You fixed it. Boo! You don't get your normal maps. Are you going to make new maps? Or is there a way to adjust the ones you have?

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:
    Michael_G said:

You posted this before I hit submit on my last post.

Hurray! You fixed it. Boo! You don't get your normal maps. Are you going to make new maps? Or is there a way to adjust the ones you have?

Took me ages to make these, might just run with the original bumps instead. Spent a long time on this one, the eye were a pain and im still not really happy with it.

edited December 1969

Here is another David render, except it is Sean. I decided to think outside "the box" that I and my characters have been stuck in for days and add some architectural elements and different lighting. I'm hoping it's not too dark. On my desktop, it looks a bit dark, but when I was cropping it in Photoshop it looked really good, maybe even too bright for what I was going for.

Sean2.png
    750 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@slosh and Inane thanks for the help, render on course again. Just adding the finishing touches and then to add to my electricity bill with 40+ hours render time, though I may not leave that long.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Here is another David render, except it is Sean. I decided to think outside "the box" that I and my characters have been stuck in for days and add some architectural elements and different lighting. I'm hoping it's not too dark. On my desktop, it looks a bit dark, but when I was cropping it in Photoshop it looked really good, maybe even too bright for what I was going for.
    Now that is worthy of comment. ;) Still needs more cooking but this is so much better with the backdrop and clothing added. I am believing it now.:)
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Slosh said:
    Now that is worthy of comment. ;) Still needs more cooking but this is so much better with the backdrop and clothing added. I am believing it now.:)

Thank you, Pete. I must have been really tired when I posted that. It is not nearly done enough. That was 1/2 hour render. I'm going to set it up again and let it marinate properly.

This discussion has been closed.