DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.2.40) Update!

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Installed without any issue - only had a minor look at the bits of the new features I actually understood and like the surface grouping thing - I can foresee a lot of use of a 'skin' group.
    In a fit of being stupid in an effort to make use of Nerd3D's 'footsteps' tool I tried it on a 'standard' ground prop which, I assume was not 'complex' enough toa faint voice' permit the D-formers to work correctly. Having recalled a 'faint voice' whispering about and extolling the virtues of Open SubD I decided to see if I could SubD the material enough to have the footsteps take shape correctly. Played with the SubD types as options, saw a bit of a change here and there, then fell back to the 'legacy' variant, over-rode limits and .. after a short while of 'not responding' Daz Studio collapsed with a system32 module being quoted - maybe 6 levels was a bit too much? ;)

SubD wouldn't help with using something like the Footstep tool as SubD is applied after DForms. If the DForms from the Footstep Tool leave jagged edges SubD will smooth them out, but the base mesh has to have enough resolution to let the DForms work in the first place. Remember, too, that the slider controls only the viewport level.

That'd explain why small SubD levels did not seem to do much/anything. Shame as it woudl appear that most ground planes, then, are low in poly count! I'll have to have a look round to see what I can do.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Uhm, no keyborad shortcuts? :-S

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

kattey, thank you so much for explaining in detail. Going to try this now with some Thorne dollies :lol:

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    kattey, thank you so much for explaining in detail. Going to try this now with some Thorne dollies :lol:

Nice :) Hope it will work for you.
  • adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Hi, can i just check that the DSON Importer for Poser has also been updated, the DSON Importer Beta says it's inactive but the version number seems to have changed

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    Hi, can i just check that the DSON Importer for Poser has also been updated, the DSON Importer Beta says it's inactive but the version number seems to have changed

Yes, there' a new beta for the DSON Importer for Poser.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

The DSON Importer for Poser is developed in parallel with DAZ Studio. In fact, significant portions of it are derived directly from the DAZ Studio core - hence the similarity in some of the highlight bullets and change logs. DAZ Studio (4.5.2.40), Carrara (8.5.0.204) and DSON Importer for Poser (1.0.1.40) have all had Public BETA versions posted in the last day or so. The thread announcing the Public BETA for the DSON Importer for Poser can be found here. The thread announcing the update to the Carrara 8.5 BETA can be found here.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited April 2013

This would be great, if I could actually install it.

It keeps crashing at the uninstall stage. It claims it can't find the uninstall .dat file, then it crashes. I've even tried uninstalling Daz Studio 4 myself manually, but it still won't work.

In the end, I had to remove the "Uninstallers" folder to trick the setup program to install over the existing installation. I sure hope this doesn't bugger anything up.

EDIT: Fortunately it works. For me, the best feature is the independant UV map settings for GeoShells. At last, we can finally use Jepe's M4 Bodyhair textures on any Genesis character we want! For example, this is Freak 5 with a Michael 5 texture and Jepe's M4 Bodyhair. With this new feature, I can finally see GeoShell being used to help blend the textures of Geografted segments like the original promise said.

GeoShellTest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 807K
    Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Won't have a chance to play with this for a bit, especially since it can't co-exist on the same machine as the current prod release. So...

What exactly are Surface Selection Sets? Also curious how exactly a hierarchical pose preset differs from a regular pose preset.

And I'm very curious to hear about people's results testing the new OpenSubDiv meshes exported via Reality (or Luxus) to LuxRender. And did they finally fix the issue with subdiv levels reverting to max limit of two when a scene is re-opened?

Ptex is cool, but also "so what", since there are so few tools to create them. I doubt we'll see much use of them from content providers.

I own 3D coat and ptex is out of this world! This is a high end texture replacement that will make thing look more life like than they can with just standard uv maps. Don't get me wrong what some of the content creators are able to create with such limited canvas is amazing but with ptex the board just got raised. I am seriously excited about this development! Please make it part of the Daz Standard Model setups!
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but when I click on the link in the ebot for this thread I am sent to my account page.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but when I click on the link in the ebot for this thread I am sent to my account page.

That happened to me too, and I think it's because someone deleted their reply to this topic because the quoted post in my e-mail didn't actually exist.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...it used to just give an error that the thread did not exist.

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    Surface Selection Sets are basically a means of referring to multiple surfaces using a single point of reference. For example... take a look at all of the Skin surfaces on Genesis (or better yet, the Genesis Supersuit). Say you want to be able to select one "thing" and, by way of selecting that "thing", be able set the Diffuse Color on all the various Skin surfaces at once... without having to remember each of the individual surfaces that participate in your definition of what it means to "change the skin color". And so we know what selecting that "thing" means in the future, we want to give that "thing" a name of "Skin Color". And then say we want to be able to select one "thing" and, by way of selecting that "thing", be able to set the texture map for all of the surfaces that participate in the "Torso" UV template... without having to constantly remember "which surfaces use the torso template again?"... but we want to be able to refer to some of the same surfaces as the ones that participate in "Skin Color" while allowing them to stay associated with "Skin Color" too. That "thing" that now allows this to happen, is a Surface Selection Set. And better still... Surface Selection Sets can be hierarchical. And better still... Surface Selection Sets share a namespace with the actual surfaces... so they can be referenced from within [hierarchical or standard] Material(s) Presets to apply settings to a superset of the surfaces.

Now that.... is NICE!!!

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

This would be great, if I could actually install it.

It keeps crashing at the uninstall stage. It claims it can't find the uninstall .dat file, then it crashes. I've even tried uninstalling Daz Studio 4 myself manually, but it still won't work.

In the end, I had to remove the "Uninstallers" folder to trick the setup program to install over the existing installation. I sure hope this doesn't bugger anything up.

Aaaargh.

This has happened to me too - AGAIN.

Every flippin' version from the first DS4 beta. Always the same. Run installer; installer tries to run uninstaller; uninstaller fails and errors; installer resumes and immediately crashes. Further runs, at uninstaller stage now returns a 'can't find uninstall .dat file' (the first, failed uninstall having deleted it) message, and on return to the installer that still crashes. Have to manually dig into the program folder and delete the remove .exe for the installer to finally run without uninstall. It then runs to completion, but (a) of course is only overwriting the previous version which might potentially leave things from the last version that shouldn't be, and (b) every time I get an error from the CMS installer at the end saying there's been a problem with the installation of that. Just as well I don't use the CMS.

How can this keep on happening?

How can the system have remained so fragile for so long? How can it not have been made more robust? Why the heck isn't there actually an option whether to run uninstaller or not (default set to 'yes', of course) so I don't have to manually dig into the program folders to delete files just to get the installer to run when it cannot uninstall? And why is it STILL the case that the installer is so fragile that it CRASHES when returned to after a failed/errored uninstall?

And why does this go on and on, unaddressed, version after version? I've posted about it enough times after previous version releases, and even though I can read very little of the forum and then only rarely, I've seen others post about the same thing in the new version release threads too, not just me.

For crying out loud, FIX THIS.

(And, no, I'm not filing a bug report in the bugtracker. Not after all my previous, still open bugs (including about this) were all abruptly closed, despite them all still being active bugs, and despite my regularly updating them with notes after new versions that the bugs were still present. Just emails for each saying I had to resubmit them if they were still bugs rather than DAZ either checking themselves, or seeing I'd been updating them and migrating them themselves. Typing HURTS me, and you are the people being PAID to work, DAZ.)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The purpose of the BETA as stated on the BETA page was for users to report issues they had. Not Filing a report is not helping the cause.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The purpose of the BETA as stated on the BETA page was for users to report issues they had. Not Filing a report is not helping the cause.

I reported it in the first pre-public DS4s back when I was a tester. And updated it was still there, and again, and again, along with other bugs I also kept updating. This install bug has happened every single version for me through the tester-betas, then the public betas, then each public and public-beta release of DS 4 and DS 4.5.

Then all my Bugs were CLOSED by DAZ, when they moved the bugtracker forward. They could have copied them to the new bugtracker; they'd done that before when they'd started a new tracker category for a higher version of DS. But no. This time hey just closed them all with automatic copies of emails to me saying I should resubmit them from scratch if they were still bugs. I'd made it clear they were still bugs; it would have taken less than a minute each for DAZ to check if they were still bugs. But no, DAZ just closed them and told me I had to do it all again.

Well stuff that. I've had quite enough submitting bugs to the bugtracker and updating and updating them only to see them ignored, and now - the final insult - just being closed and being snottily told to resubmit them. DAZ don't pay me to do their work for them. I'm the CUSTOMER here.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Hi David, long time no see!
    I think the problem is in the unistaller code (actually in its arguments, much like a preset compared to a shader, that are presumably stored in the registry) which were wrong, quite a bit of time ago, but have since been fixed. However since you can't run the uninstaller, they are not deleted and keep on determining your situation.
    I don't have any problems updating myself. I'd try to see in dzInstal.ini (Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D) if there is any strange folder listed, and if not, the next time you uninstall DS, clean the registry of any reference to DAZ Studio, then install the next iteration.

@DAZ: there's a bug in saving deprecated Character presets for M4, a number of the head morph values aren't being saved, for example Eyefold* and earsize*.

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Hi, Cant seem to rotate the camera on the Z Axis when camera uses `point at` to track a null object! Is this usual or am I missing something? I would expect this if I was trying to rotate on the Y or X but how do I tilt a camera thats tracking a null?

Thanks;)

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:
    Hi, Cant seem to rotate the camera on the x Axis when camera uses `point at` to track a null object! Is this usual or am I missing something? I would expect this if I was trying to rotate on the Y or Z but how do I tilt a camera thats tracking a null?

Thanks;)

When you set a camera, or any node for that matter, to point at; the point at takes over the rotations of that node. The rotation of that node becomes the rotation needed to make the ray going from the center point to the end point target the target node's center point. You can move the "point at" node using translation, you can use joint editor to move the end point/center point to change the pointing vector but using rotation will not give you quite what you are thinking.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited April 2013

Hey DavidGB,

Good to see you in the forums again. Sorry you are still having issues with the installs. I agree, DAZ handled your bug reports poorly, and I can see why you are frustrated. I received the same treatment for some of my bug reporting that just left me scratching my head, and no desire to ever file another report.

Jaderail:

Even though you are a very active (and I'd consider a main) member of the community, DavidGB is an original advanced user of DS who was very prominent in the early forums. He is one of the original GREAT script writers that pushed DS forward, and helped give it it's functionality in the early days of Studio competing with Poser.

Please do not treat him like some whiny newbie who has no idea what they are doing, refuses to read a manual, and complains after the first instance of the first try.

If he says something is not working correctly, (I believe) it most likely isn't working correctly. I never let DAZ run the uninstaller while running the installer based on his original findings (and, he wasn't alone). I uninstall completely first by hand, and then run the installer. Though, as David has tried countless times to convey to the DAZ team, we should not have to do this. They need to fix the issues.

*EDIT:

ReDave:

Just read your post, and if indeed they fixed this, and it is locked to the registry, I would like to see evidence of no issues on a clean operating system install (or thoroughly cleaned registry).

DavidGB:

Maybe that's the answer, maybe not. Give it a try, and let us know your results. Good luck...

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited April 2013

ketthrove said:
    Orion_Uk said:
    Hi, Cant seem to rotate the camera on the x Axis when camera uses `point at` to track a null object! Is this usual or am I missing something? I would expect this if I was trying to rotate on the Y or Z but how do I tilt a camera thats tracking a null?

Thanks;)

When you set a camera, or any node for that matter, to point at; the point at takes over the rotations of that node. The rotation of that node becomes the rotation needed to make the ray going from the center point to the end point target the target node's center point. You can move the "point at" node using translation, you can use joint editor to move the end point/center point to change the pointing vector but using rotation will not give you quite what you are thinking.

Hi ketthrove, Thank you for your reply :)

Your right, I cant get the effect I was expecting in Ds :(

I was thinking in Blender terms where if you link a camera to an EMPTY (plain axis), you can move the EMPTY and the camera will track it BUT (in Blender) you can still rotate the camera (tilt it) left and right while staying tracked to the EMPTY.

I simply dont understand why this is not possible in Ds also!

Tilting the camera left or right SHOULD be possible as pan (for tracking the null object/EMPTY) IS required, and NOT tilt!, no matter which direction the camera is tracking the null/empty, tilting the camera left or right seems like it should work as it does in blender! I think I follow what you are saying, sorry if I am not!..

Currently, If I move the null object in Ds (with or with out joint editor) the null is tracked but my whole scene in the viewport slopes left or right (depending on which direction I move the null) But this is an effect that I am not looking for! I simply want to track my null with out the scene/camera tilting in one direction or the other! The reason I need to tilt the camera on the x Axis (tilt the cam left or right while facing forwards towards the null) is to compensate for this unwanted tilt that automatically happens when moveing the null object in my scene.

Sorry for my misunderstanding and thank you for your advice :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Can you rotate on the Z axis?

edited April 2013

Can you rotate on the Z axis?

Hi Mike, Thanks and no.. I can not rotate the camera at all when `point at` null object.. X,Y or Z :(

Lol, you just made me notice my mistake in discribing my problem.. The issue still remains BUT I did mean that I wanted the rotate/tilt the camera on the Z Axis..Sorry for the confussing typo/error..been a LoOnG day!

:P

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

Try this:

Create a camera and a null

Parent the camera to the null and zero the camera's tansforms, except for X Rotation which should be set to 90.

Point the null at your target.

y rotate the camera to bank it (y rather than z because of the 90 degree x rotation).

edited April 2013

Try this:

Create a camera and a null

Parent the camera to the null and zero the camera's tansforms, except for X Rotation which should be set to 90.

Point the null at your target.

y rotate the camera to bank it (y rather than z because of the 90 degree x rotation).

Thank you so much for your helpful reply and time Richard, that should work a treat, I will try it in the morning :)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

This has been happening to random people on random threads at random times for the last several days. Bitten me a couple or three times. There seems to be a current "malformed cookie" hiccup that's being fixed. It's actually causing all the hair-pulling with the Product Library controls going dead (again, triply random), but since both glitches appeared at about the same time and sound like they might be related, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a fix for that problem also fixing this one.
    edited April 2013

hhhmmm, In this Beta I dont have an option for Lip sync under window/panes (tabs)..! I only have mimic live!..now where did that go?

EDIT: Ok, so I found it (in 32 bit version only, still cant add the tab in 64 bit!!!) by changing my workspace layout to `self service` adding the Tab and then loading my own custon layout again :P

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:
    hhhmmm, In this Beta I dont have an option for Lip sync under window/panes (tabs)..! I only have mimic live!..now where did that go?

EDIT: Ok, so I found it (in 32 bit version only, still cant add the tab in 64 bit!!!) by changing my workspace layout to `self service` adding the Tab and then loading my own custon layout again :P

It's only ever been 32 bit that's why you can't find it in the 64 bit build.

edited December 1969

It’s only ever been 32 bit that’s why you can’t find it in the 64 bit build.

Doh! ...Lol, I have not really given lip sync much time until today so thats why I put myself in this situation :P

Wonder why its not in the 64 bit version too!!! The mind boggles :D

Thank you Bejaymac ;)

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Can anyone confirm that the new DAZ beta works on OSx 10.8 or share their experiences?

So, I am once again forced to explore using Mountain Lion. I have several apps that would require me to upgrade from Snow Leopard but I also have some apps that do not yet seem to be 100% compatible on Mountain Lion. It is quite a pickle.