DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.2.40) Update!

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited April 2013

gilikshe said:
    3) Added support for TriAx to TriAx Auto-Fit.

This means???

Instead of being limited to projecting information from a TriAx Weighted Figure (i.e. Genesis) to a Parametric Figure (i.e. Generation 4 clothing), and thereby converting it, the tool now allows projection from one TriAx Weighted Figure to another TriAx Weighted Figure.

Understand that changes like this, while they may have a practical use in the current market, are often more foundational in nature. They are the result of constantly thinking ahead, from where we currently are to where we want to go.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

After loading up Genesis, dialing up Bruno-Muscles 01, posed with arms up... have to say the Catmark option seems to affect the shoulders less. Might be my imagination but does seem better! Bilinear looks almost like Base Resolution and the Loop VS Legacy .... I don't see any difference there.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Bilinear is usefull when you just need to add more polygons. Create a plane primitive and apply Sub-d, see how it is deformed because sub-d is averaging the vertices location. Change to bilinear and its back to its original shape.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited April 2013

RAMWolff said:
    After loading up Genesis, dialing up Bruno-Muscles 01, posed with arms up... have to say the Catmark option seems to affect the shoulders less. Might be my imagination but does seem better! Bilinear looks almost like Base Resolution and the Loop VS Legacy .... I don't see any difference there.

Loop makes tris instead of quads like the other subdivision methods. It is most useful when the base mesh is all or mostly tris.

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
    edited December 1969

Thanks folks. So for my cape which has, of course, pointed corners at the bottom the Bilinear would be the Sub-D to try??

edited April 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks folks. So for my cape which has, of course, pointed corners at the bottom the Bilinear would be the Sub-D to try??

You probably want catmark and then set the corner/edge weights to keep the corners as sharp as you desire.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited April 2013

rbtwhiz said:
    gilikshe said:
    3) Added support for TriAx to TriAx Auto-Fit.

This means???

Instead of being limited to projecting information from a TriAx Weighted Figure (i.e. Genesis) to a Parametric Figure (i.e. Generation 4 clothing), and thereby converting it, the tool now allows projection from one TriAx Weighted Figure to another TriAx Weighted Figure.

Can I think with this in previous TriAx weighted conversion of V4, for example, and her clothes to next fit TW clothes to genesis. Or it is for future Gen6 or others biped or four limbs creatures to interchange her/his/its clothes?...or I misunderstood all subject?

Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

You probably want catmark and then set the corner/edge weights to keep the corners as sharp as you desire.

Not sure how to do that. Are you talking about Weight Maps and if so do I set those using X Y or Z or Scale?

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Interesting. Thanks for all the input, folks. Will probably try it out this weekend.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Wait. From what I know, Gen 4 figures are automatically TriAxed when when opened in DS4.5. Does it means that new functionality allows to transfer morphs between them and Genesis?
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Wait. From what I know, Gen 4 figures are automatically TriAxed when when opened in DS4.5. Does it means that new functionality allows to transfer morphs between them and Genesis?That is not correct. You can upconvert them, but it is not done automatically.
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Wait. From what I know, Gen 4 figures are automatically TriAxed when when opened in DS4.5. Does it means that new functionality allows to transfer morphs between them and Genesis?
    That is not correct. You can upconvert them, but it is not done automatically.
    Um, interesting. How can I do that, even if not manually? Say, I have a very unique M4 morph I wish to transfer into Genesis. What steps should I make?
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kattey said:

That is not correct. You can upconvert them, but it is not done automatically.
    Um, interesting. How can I do that, even if not manually? Say, I have a very unique M4 morph I wish to transfer into Genesis. What steps should I make?That functionality is not for transferring morphs. It is for converting clothing, if you have appropriate clones and templates.

For transferring Morphs from M4 to Genesis you can always use Gen-X. http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

That's easy, Kattey. Apply your custom morph and save that to a Cr2, you can use a DAZ Studio Exported Cr2 file. Load that Cr2 into Generation X and convert.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    That's easy, Kattey. Apply your custom morph and save that to a Cr2, you can use a DAZ Studio Exported Cr2 file. Load that Cr2 into Generation X and convert.
    You don't need to work that hard. Load your Figure into DS and one of the Gen-x choices is choose morphs from figure in scene, make it a single dial and it is even easy to dial up on Genesis. Or go one step further, Once you have it on Genesis, apply the morph, plus M4, and the texture to Genesis, then save it as a character preset.
    edited April 2013

wancow said:

I refuse to buy Generation X, it is overly expensive for my purpose and never goes on sale. So it isn't "That's easy". I don't understand how people can justify to buy a such expensive plugin.
    I'm looking for an option to convert morphs with DS alone, not Gen-X.
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited April 2013

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

Not sure how to do that. Are you talking about Weight Maps and if so do I set those using X Y or Z or Scale?

No I'm talking about SubD vertex weights and edge weights. These are used to control subdivision. See the following images. There is now an additional sub tab in Tool Settings when Polygon Group Editor is selected, called "SubD Weighting" it allows a user to set the vertex weights on the edges and vertices of the currently selected faces. We know its not a great interface ( hence the [Alpha]), but it provides the bare basics to see how these features can be used to control subdivision. These weight are also import from fbx imports if the application creating the fbx supplied them (Modo 601 + does for instance)

First image standard subdivision of a cube, no weighting.

Second image all top edges with edge weight of 5

Third image back edge vertices set to 4.5

EdgeAndVertexWeights.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 249K
    WeightedEdges.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 231K
    NoEdgeWeights.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 229K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I installed the 32-bit version of the beta because I already have 64-bit for 4.5, then decided I liked it enough to go 64-bit with the beta. Somehow, installing the 64-bit version, I lost access to the Mimic plugin. It was there in the 32-bit version, and even though I uninstalled 32bit and installed correct 64bit version, it won't appear in my panes list. I checked the plugins and it is there, but unregistered and I didn't get serial #'s with this. I'm not extremely worried about it because I have yet to want to do an animation, but it would be nice to play with for a bit. Also, haven't been able to figure out dynamic clothing pane yet, but then I just winged it without reading first, so I will give that a go tomorrow.

Mimic in DS (LipSync) is 32 bit only, though the standalone version will write pz2 files that can be used in any version.

Aha. Now that you said it, I remember reading that already. I should have remembered that. Thank-you

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    wancow said:

I refuse to buy Generation X, it is overly expensive for my purpose and never goes on sale. So it isn't "That's easy". I don't understand how people can justify to buy a such expensive plugin.

I felt the same way for a very long time, but finally broke down and bought Gen-X when I had a coupon. I am so glad I did. It is very easy to use and my Gen4 figures have so many morphs that I don't have currently with Genesis. I wish everyone could have built-in access to Gen-X versatility (ie, included with DS instead of purchase), but the developers deserve to be paid for their work. It really is worth the money, Kattey. Just my opinion.

edited April 2013

Slosh said:
    Kattey said:
    wancow said:

I felt the same way for a very long time, but finally broke down and bought Gen-X when I had a coupon. I am so glad I did. It is very easy to use and my Gen4 figures have so many morphs that I don't have currently with Genesis. I wish everyone could have built-in access to Gen-X versatility (ie, included with DS instead of purchase), but the developers deserve to be paid for their work. It really is worth the money, Kattey. Just my opinion.
    Not for me and never will be and I would appreciate if people stopped pushing that plugin into my face any time I'm asking about DS native converters.

So I'm still wondering if DS can be used natively to take a morph information from one TriAxed figure and project it onto another similar TriAxed figure.
    I remember using a different program to transfer morphs from Victoria to Simon (Poser figure) as a test. They didn't have same amount of vertexes and weren't even perfectly aligned but morph (pregnant morph, in my case) was transferred quite nicely.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

No I'm talking about SubD vertex weights and edge weights. These are used to control subdivision. See the following images. There is now an additional sub tab in Tool Settings when Polygon Group Editor is selected, called "SubD Weighting" it allows a user to set the vertex weights on the edges and vertices of the currently selected faces. We know its not a great interface ( hence the [Alpha]), but it provides the bare basics to see how these features can be used to control subdivision. These weight are also import from fbx imports if the application creating the fbx supplied them (Modo 601 + does for instance)

Thanks DAZ_cjones for pointing out where that is.... I was looking to see if vertex weight tools were in the new build last night, but didn't find them.... it was late and I was sleepy.... I was starting to think that they would have to be assigned in a modeler that has OSubDiv and then exported through FBX only.... glad to see there are tools built into DS for it....

I build all my models using SubDiv cages, and then have to apply it before exporting to .obj for use in DS... now I can possibly keep the SubDiv and adjust the vertex weights in DS, will have to do some playing tonight.... oh the possibilities.... %-P

Thanks DAZ for the continued development DS and all the hard work you all put into it.... :-)

nicci... :)

edited April 2013

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

WOW, that's totally awesome. Now is this new functionality or was this there before?? I do remember Smoothing had some options (Hard Edges, Soft Edges and then a mix.... or something like that.. I'm at work so can't look).

Edit: Ah, I see. this looks to be new. Don't remember seeing these options in the Polygon Group Editor. I'll have to go look for that when I'm home from work.

So then my next question, can I then save out my cape to apply these settings automatically so the end user won't have to figure it out?

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

YOU CAN DO THIS IN D|S????????????

<------FAINTS!</p>

edited April 2013

Edit: Removed by Slosh because I went on a rant. Kattey, sorry if my comment to give Gen-x a try set you off. You don't have to buy anything you don't want to, but right now that is the only way to get your Gen4 morphs into Genesis.

Post edited by Slosh on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    wancow said:

Your only other option is to use as many morphs as you can that are made for Genesis to get close to what you had. DAZ Studio will probably never have it since Generation X exists.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

WOW, that's totally awesome. Now is this new functionality or was this there before?? I do remember Smoothing had some options (Hard Edges, Soft Edges and then a mix.... or something like that.. I'm at work so can't look).

Edit: Ah, I see. this looks to be new. Don't remember seeing these options in the Polygon Group Editor. I'll have to go look for that when I'm home from work.

So then my next question, can I then save out my cape to apply these settings automatically so the end user won't have to figure it out?

These edit save to the geometry asset. It will embed in the scene if edited. You'll need to save the node asset if you are selling/giving the node to others.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    To go a step further. :) Emma's Custom Morph, a morph that is notoriously difficult to put clothing on, on Genesis, to include the neck fix morph, thanks to Gen-X. :)
    Emma.jpg
    600 x 750 - 35K
    edited April 2013

wancow said:
    Kattey said:
    wancow said:

Your only other option is to use as many morphs as you can that are made for Genesis to get close to what you had. DAZ Studio will probably never have it since Generation X exists.
    I think if new DS build will really be able to project from one TriAx figure to another, regardless if it is Genesis or not, I think it could be done without a plugin. Especially if it is true that all Gen4 figures are auto TriAxed when opened in DS 4.5.
    Morphed M4 is a source figure. Genesis with M4 morph (exported as obj at lowest resolution and imported back as obj in DS) is a target. Transfer Utility to make M4 "current" wear Genesis as clothes and "add morph"/reverse shape. Projection template "bodysuit, tight" You'd have a Genesis made wearable as clothes on M4, with needed morph. Dial the morph, export as an obj again, import to regular Genesis as a morph through Morph Loader.
    In theory it would work.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

projecting weight mapping and transfering morphs are two very different things.

I've been using the Transfer Util to project weight maps for a few months now, and it works fine.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

A quick note on the numbers used. This is a simplification, but it helps me understand them. You can think of the weight as the number of levels of subdivision that will occur before that vertex/edge starts to "smooth or round". So if you use 3 on a vertex for instance that vertex will stay in its cage position until the 4 level of subdivision. In between number effect the curvature of the subdivision.