Astronaut for Genesis 3 Male and Michael 7 [Commercial]LIVE

Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
edited December 2017 in Daz PA Commercial Products

“Astronaut for Genesis 3 Male and Michael 7” is the long-awaited Astronaut suit from Midnight_stories. It an authentic Astronaut recreation based on the moon landing. It comes in a ten piece set. Both in Iray and 3Delight material sets. It has 2 main sub-set item for easy loading, these have specific limits and morphs applied to them, Plus a pose control group dedicated to controlling the suit, which make it even easier to work with. There’s a morph for expanding the suit, to get a more authentic look, Backpack is connected to the suit with tubes and can be posed without distortion. There’s Michael 7 shape support and various adjustment dials. The material come with Emission shaders for the light and I have included several color for the light inside the helmet. There 10 Hierarchical Poses plus a Zero pose to reset. The tubes do have adjustments to help with posing. It has highly detailed textures and wrinkle all in 4K. This is a must for all you space fans and be on the lookout for the “Moon 360” pack.

OK some notes:

Before you ask I’ll try and answer some question.

How's it work:

The easiest way I could think of was creating sub set, this allows me to put limit on the G3M figure so he doesn’t collide with other parts of the suit E.g. collars going into the helmet or chest bend tearing the backpack tubes apart. Also, it allows me to control multiple morphs in the one place, E.g. Suit expand will drive suit gloves boots cover packs all at once, so you don’t have to do it individually on each piece of clothing. See video for details.

What figure and shape support are there?

Basically Genesis 3 Male and Michael 7. Why only those well that’s all, I had time for it took 6 weeks to get it this far. The main problem are the tubes running from the suit to the backpack, they shear off when applying morphs and bends. I’m not saying all body types will do it, so of the standard morphs work fine E.g. Height. With just the suit on and not worrying about helmets covers and pack most will work fine. So just be aware of the backpack. Genesis 3 Female no I’m not doing to as I would have to rig from scratch. Genesis 8 Male I have a basic fit but I will see how many the Genesis 3 Male sells before I commit.

Why has it taken so long.

As some of you know me I do things pretty quick, so 6 weeks is a huge amount of time to do this. The main reason is developing strategies to get this to work at 4 weeks into this I still didn’t know if this would work or get pass QA. I bounce ideas of the DAZ Riggers and see if they work or if they have better ideas, the multiple weight mapping system came from those guys, no one knew if it was going to work but it did. Then making a central control for all morph was another one, tubes running from the suit to the backpack took the longest plus adding bones to move the tubes in and out. Researching and Astronaut suit was a lot of effort, now I know how they really work and it’s a marvel of engineering. So, it all adds up.  

Closing notes and tips:

I know some will be disappointed that there can’t a lot of shape support, but I only have so many hours in a day,

Hint: just apply head morphs and character materials and do a clear autogen morphs for Edit/Figures drop down then maybe use height morph to get different variations.

Is it authentic?

No it wasn’t practical to do certain things and they couldn’t be rigged, I did use a lot for reference from nasa photo’s and the movie Gravity was a great inspiration. I didn’t put logo’s on because of copyrights.

Is the rig perfect?

No, nothing is perfect, I had to strike a balance between usability and mobility. E.g. Astronaut helmet don’t bend or twist the head moves inside them and arms and legs have restricted movement, so keep that in mind when posing.

Will I be doing this again ?

No! We choose to go to moon because it’s hard, I choose it because it’s interesting and challenges me. This project stretched me to the limit of what I can do.

Well hope you enjoy it I did the best I could with what I had!

Please look at Utube video for more detailed run through.

Some WIP shots as it developed

Post edited by Midnight_stories on

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited November 2017

Image01

Popup00.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 470K
    Popup02.jpg
    1339 x 1000 - 374K
    Popup03.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 523K
    Popup06.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 608K
    Main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 569K
    edited November 2017

Question

edited November 2017

Images 2

Popup04.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 557K
    Popup09.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 340K
    Popup07.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 557K
    Popup01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 612K
    Popup05.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 492K
  • I'm not about to question the quality of this outfit. I am always amazed and pleased with your products and appreciate your eye for detail. Definitely look forward to this release. And it's for G3! :-D
  • GlenWebb said:
    I'm not about to question the quality of this outfit. I am always amazed and pleased with your products and appreciate your eye for detail. Definitely look forward to this release. And it's for G3! :-D

Thanks Glen ! I'm gald someone got a bit of faith in me :)

•  This project stretched me to the limit of what I can do.

Well done! Looks awesome.

It'd be shame to ONLY use this in that one context. EVERYONE could use this.

Hopefully it gets some texture love (from you or other vendors) and has all the many variations- lots of spacey fabrics, Stripes etc..... etc.

Different backpacks, etc....

--------

I think, one of the things to do or have done, maybe is hide the figure except for the head inside to suit to fix all the pose issues....

Would that help?
    Some of my older figures have all these Hide XXX scripts to deal with poke through.

edited November 2017
    avxp said:

This project stretched me to the limit of what I can do.

Well done! Looks awesome.

It'd be shame to ONLY use this in that one context. EVERYONE could use this.

Hopefully it gets some texture love (from you or other vendors) and has all the many variations- lots of spacey fabrics, Stripes etc..... etc.

Different backpacks, etc....

--------

I think, one of the things to do or have done, maybe is hide the figure except for the head inside to suit to fix all the pose issues....

Would that help?
    Some of my older figures have all these Hide XXX scripts to deal with poke through.

Actually that's a really good idea, I left a post for suggestions and questions.

If you hide the G3M base and conform another G3M to it you can dial up the head morphs without interfering with the suit or helmet, you could also put the inner hood on the conforming G3M as it should morph pretty well with any shape, mind you the mic always get wrapped a bit but rest should be fine !

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

An awesome job! I appreciate your candor about the difficulties you faced.

• Wow this looks Fantastic. I watched the video and it was super smart to put the limits on the posing , A space suit is suppose to be limiting and bulky and I am glad you took that into consideration. I'll be buying it on day one ,I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. Very cool of you to add Poses also. So Thank you ,Thank You, Thank you .

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow another stunning piece of work!  I was going to say the same thing a space suit like this is not supposed to be something you can do aerobics in.

Wow this looks Fantastic. I watched the video and it was super smart to put the limits on the posing , A space suit is suppose to be limiting and bulky and I am glad you took that into consideration. I'll be buying it on day one ,I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. Very cool of you to add Poses also. So Thank you ,Thank You, Thank you .

• A space suit is suppose to be limiting and bulky and I am glad you took that into consideration.

Very much this. If you watch the lunar surface movies from the Apollo missions, the suit leg joints don't bend much more than 20-30 degrees, and the arms are considerably limited as well.

Excellent detail, from the helmet bits and bobs to the fully plumbed PLSS. This is going into my cart so fast you'd need help from Stephen Hawking to measure it!  

• Sigurd said:

An awesome job! I appreciate your candor about the difficulties you faced.

The main reason I explained about the project that some people were getting a bit inpatient with how long it was taking and I wanted to give them an idea why.

The QA was good and it went through without a hitch but there was a lot of testing first. Cheers :)

edited November 2017

Wow this looks Fantastic. I watched the video and it was super smart to put the limits on the posing , A space suit is suppose to be limiting and bulky and I am glad you took that into consideration. I'll be buying it on day one ,I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. Very cool of you to add Poses also. So Thank you ,Thank You, Thank you .

Well I hope you won't have to wait too look I'm putting in the Moon 360 environment today so it should go through quick after that, the suit is passed and ready to go. Here a preview of the environment.

Thanks for the support !

edited November 2017

Wow another stunning piece of work!  I was going to say the same thing a space suit like this is not supposed to be something you can do aerobics in.

Yes the suit is bulk, it just a cover for a pressure suit that sit underneath so it was very interesting doing the research.

Thanks for the kind word you help a lot of vendors with them and keep us going !

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/wm/live/1280_720/images/live/p0/0v/s8/p00vs8s9.jpg

• The 360 set looks awesome also I like it. With a great environment and spacesuit this leaves the possibilities of a ton of accessories for this genre. This is definitely “ One small step for Daz Studio , one giant leap for renders “

• WoW!! This looks phenomenal!!! You always have some great stuff...I bought an Apollo capsule a couple of years ago and this fills in a gap in a much needed place. I am looking forward to this hitting the store!
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

I can't wait to play with it.

• Thanks guys much appreciated! hopefully the moon 360 won't take long to get through QA and it will be here soon !

Cheers

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    edited November 2017

This looks wonderful. I was hoping to cut down on my 3D budget but I'm going to have to sneak a me-present in. I think I've been waiting 48 years 4 months and x days to get this cheeky

Post edited by Joe Webb on
  • I always ask myself, why you are release this fantastic outfit not for the G8 Males? Okay, I could fit the suit to G8. But I don't think, that that's a great option.

• RCTSpanky said:

I always ask myself, why you are release this fantastic outfit not for the G8 Males? Okay, I could fit the suit to G8. But I don't think, that that's a great option.

In a word no one actually models for G8 the process is you start with G3 then convert it. To model on an A pose the feet and gloves would be at an angle making it very difficult to do. I have started to convert it but it's not a simple process as I have a multiple weight mapping system of the new and old which get blended by a separate weight map on top of that, so you can't transfer it over with a press of a button, it all has to be done again. Some people will put out both at the same time if it's simple. But most vendors will start with G3 because it's easier to model on. Hope that makes so sense.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Nice job...l looks very enticing. I hope there is a fit for gen 8

edited November 2017

I hope there is a fit for gen 8

Yes that's in the works the new weight maps are done and I have to do all the JCMs now. Then there's the other 3 project ahead of that, No holiday's this year Lol!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Awesome. I sort of stopped using Genesis 3. I love the look of gen 8.

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,019

This looks really nice! I totally get the limits. The more realistic something is, I.E. armor not bending with the figure, the more restrictive movement becomes. Not to say some people wont get that, but that's always the case. 

• Thank you for making something like this for G3! I already have the Mars 360 set and am looking forward to this unexpected Moon 360 companion, too. I like the ability to change the interior helmet lighting, too. Looks like applying a gold or black reflective shader on the glass should give the illusion of that 'sunglight shield' look they sometimes have.

I'm guessing that auto-fitting to G3F would make the chest unit warp? I'll have to see if it works out OK with a 'no breasts' shape morph applied.

Kind of hoping that your work on the backpack prop might inspire you to make a 'Ghostbusters'-inspired costume in the future... :)

• AntMan said:

This looks really nice! I totally get the limits. The more realistic something is, I.E. armor not bending with the figure, the more restrictive movement becomes. Not to say some people wont get that, but that's always the case. 

Good ! don't think everyone gets what I'm talking about but veteran like you would have done this a few time. Thanks for the feedback !

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Looks good.

• tkdrobert said:

Looks good.

Thanks my man, still waiting for DAZ to put it on the market !

• Although I'm not able to get this guy till next week, I just wanted to say congrats on its release and I LOVE those promos. You really did an amazing job on the outfit.