The No Complaint too Trivial Complaint Thread

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited November 2017

Having to choose amongst quantum super positions to take a measurement might be one of those essential dualities of existence things, it being paradoxically an exercise of choice in a deterministic universe :/

Post edited by ps1borg on
    Mistara said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mistara said:

the c in e=mc2  swiftness?  or the speed of light squared?

but the speed of light is a constant?

watching nova dvd smiley
    Einstein married his cousin?

The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant.  It changes when it passes through certain, more dense, matter.

Dana

Light (raw photons) only ever travel in a vacuum.  It seems that when a photon (or it's equivalent wave) enters a material it encounters atoms and is either absorbed by them to be re-emitted at some random time in the future which either kills the light or irretrievably scatters it.  Or, the precise electromagnetic (EM) field that is a light photon wave is not absorbed but interacts with the EM fields of all the atoms of the material causing them to jiggle creating an orchestra of additional EM waves that combine and cancel out in all directions except the oiginal direction of the photon and effectively convert the energy of the original photon into a pseudo light-like "particle" but has an effective mass and thus must move slower than the speed of light.   When the orchestrated massy pseudo "particle" of the combined waves of all the jiggling matrix of EM fields reaches the other side of the material the waves collapse again into a photon and it continues its journey at the speed of light.  .

Twist your brain around this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHN0ZWE5bk

Keep in mind that to a photon, when travelling through a gas like air there is a lot of empty space between the atoms of the air but as a free raw photon travels this empty space it will eventually come close to some atom in the air and will jiggle its EM fields and go through this pseudo "particle" thing slowing it down just a tiny bit.  That's why even air slows down light just a little.

matter doesnt disappear, it transforms.  the basic idea of a buodome?  or thunderdome.

fission and cold fusion, 2 different things

Fission seems to be like th first break in a game of pool, fusion is when the cue ball follows an eight ball into a pocket :

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

Hulu is renewed.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited November 2017
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mistara said:

watching nova dvd smiley

The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant.  It changes when it passes through certain, more dense, matter.

Dana

Summary:  Light (raw photons) only ever travel in a vacuum.  It seems that when a photon (or it's equivalent wave) enters a material it encounters atoms and is either absorbed by them to be re-emitted at some random time in the future which either kills the light or irretrievably scatters it.  Or, the precise electromagnetic (EM) field that is a light photon wave is not absorbed but interacts with the EM fields of all the atoms of the material causing them to jiggle creating an orchestra of additional EM waves that combine and cancel out in all directions except the original direction of the photon and effectively convert the energy of the original photon into a pseudo light-like "particle" but with an effective mass and thus must move slower than the speed of light.   When the orchestrated massy pseudo "particle" of the combined waves of all the jiggling matrix of EM fields reaches the other side of the material the waves collapse again into a photon and it continues its journey at the speed of light.  .

Keep in mind that to a photon, when travelling through a gas like air there is a lot of empty space between the atoms of the air but as a free raw photon travels this empty space it will eventually come close to some atom in the air and will jiggle its EM fields and go through this pseudo "particle" thing slowing it down just a tiny bit.  That's why even air slows down light just a little.

But even more important to keep in mind is that photons are a wave, an excitement in an all pervading electromagnetic field.  So, as light passes through a material the wave touches all the atoms in the material.  So, we can't really talk about a photon coming close to an atom, it actually reaches and affects all the material's atoms (to lesser or greater degrees).  Because thinking quantumly the photon wave effectively takes all possible paths through the material  (like a "single photon" being seen to pass through two slits simultaneously)

Well, if you're going to bring quantum mechanics into the discussion.  Is light a particle or a wave?  Answer: Yes!  But wait, there's more!  It's also neither.  When you bring quantum physics into it, you just lay aside the rule books, the "facts", the common knowledge...and you just play.  Then you go home with a headache.  laugh​  And a big smile.  A feeling of accomplishment.  And you have accomplished something.  And yet, you've accomplished nothing.  Because in quantum physics, the act of observing something changes the outcome, changes its state.  I know a few people that I'd like to just look at and cause them to move to a different state.  laugh

Dana

I've found that thinking quantumly tends to win any argument except against a physicist who can solve the equations and then gives up in frustration trying to explain what's really happening. surprise 

But in thinking about this issue of pseudo light-like "particles" that have effective mass, it seems to me that this could explain (to me, at least) why light has pressure, and why solar sails work.  I could never understand how a massless particle (photon) could impart a force to  objects.  It does and they do.  Perhaps there's a better answer but as you pointed out; when thinking quantumly, sometimes the answer has many doors. indecision

Aaand in thinking about solar sail some more, I realized that they are reflective and light does not enter the material.  So, either this isn't the explaination at all, or the process of reflection can be thought of in the terms of the pseudo light-like massy "particle" creation process happening at the surface of the material as the energy of the photon is being reflected. One photon in, one photon out but it gains then loses mass as it is reflected, imparting some force to the material in the process? indecision  Is a photon delayed even just a tiny bit as it turns around or is the reflection process happening at the speed of light?  Headache... sad

Oops!  Never mind. Google is your friend:  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure blush 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • NVIATWASNVIATWAS Posts: 1,242
    DanaTA said:
    Mistara said:

watching nova dvd smiley

Dana

Summary:  Light (raw photons) only ever travel in a vacuum.  It seems that when a photon (or it's equivalent wave) enters a material it encounters atoms and is either absorbed by them to be re-emitted at some random time in the future which either kills the light or irretrievably scatters it.  Or, the precise electromagnetic (EM) field that is a light photon wave is not absorbed but interacts with the EM fields of all the atoms of the material causing them to jiggle creating an orchestra of additional EM waves that combine and cancel out in all directions except the original direction of the photon and effectively convert the energy of the original photon into a pseudo light-like "particle" but with an effective mass and thus must move slower than the speed of light.   When the orchestrated massy pseudo "particle" of the combined waves of all the jiggling matrix of EM fields reaches the other side of the material the waves collapse again into a photon and it continues its journey at the speed of light.  .

But even more important to keep in mind is that photons are a wave, an excitement in an all pervading electromagnetic field.  So, as light passes through a material the wave touches all the atoms in the material.  So, we can't really talk about a photon coming close to an atom, it actually reaches and affects all the material's atoms (to lesser or greater degrees).  Because thinking quantumly the photon wave effectively takes all possible paths through the material  (like a "single photon" being seen to pass through two slits simultaneously)

Photons excite me! :P

The world on the micro level is an odd place.  My ex-wife, being an astrophysicist, used to talk at me about some weird stuff that impressed me more as magic than math.  All way over my head, but she understood it.

It'd Hump Day, and we can't have a day without complaints, can we?

- Quantum physics makes my brain hurt

- Aspirin won't fix inttellectually-generated headaches

- Dim and dreary outdoor

- Cold rain predicted the rest of the week

- Need to cook breakfast but super-lazy

- Grocery store out of turkey wings to bbq

Non-complaints!

- Flavored coffee out for delivery!!!

- Work laptop finally send back to home office

- Found free online Javascript classes

- Cozy indoors

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i miss radio shack.  they had those edumacational kits.

is hard to shop santamas prezzies for a 7yo boy.  poor kid, his dad's in jail.  grandpa is a grump.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mistara said:

watching nova dvd smiley

Dana

Well, if you're going to bring quantum mechanics into the discussion.  Is light a particle or a wave?  Answer: Yes!  But wait, there's more!  It's also neither.  When you bring quantum physics into it, you just lay aside the rule books, the "facts", the common knowledge...and you just play.  Then you go home with a headache.  laugh​  And a big smile.  A feeling of accomplishment.  And you have accomplished something.  And yet, you've accomplished nothing.  Because in quantum physics, the act of observing something changes the outcome, changes its state.  I know a few people that I'd like to just look at and cause them to move to a different state.  laugh

Dana

I've found that thinking quantumly tends to win any argument except against a physicist who can solve the equations and then gives up in frustration trying to explain what's really happening. surprise 

But in thinking about this issue of pseudo light-like "particles" that have effective mass, it seems to me that this could explain (to me, at least) why light has pressure, and why solar sails work.  I could never understand how a massless particle (photon) could impart a force to  objects.  It does and they do.  Perhaps there's a better answer but as you pointed out; when thinking quantumly, sometimes the answer has many doors. indecision

Aaand in thinking about solar sail some more, I realized that they are reflective and light does not enter the material.  So, either this isn't the explaination at all, or the process of reflection can be thought of in the terms of the pseudo light-like massy "particle" creation process happening at the surface of the material as the energy of the photon is being reflected. One photon in, one photon out but it gains then loses mass as it is reflected, imparting some force to the material in the process? indecision  Is a photon delayed even just a tiny bit as it turns around or is the reflection process happening at the speed of light?  Headache... sad

Oops!  Never mind. Google is your friend:  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure blush 

inertia is a real thing.

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

I am immune to the laws of inertia. The rule states:"An object in motion seeks to remain in motion." Whenever I'm in motion, I always seek to be at rest. :P 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    Etrigan said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

I am immune to the laws of inertia. The rule states:"An object in motion seeks to remain in motion." Whenever I'm in motion, I always seek to be at rest. :P 

laugh

Dana

I find the converse is also inapplicable to me.  An object at rest tends to stay at rest.  I wake up several times a night, turn over, get up to pee, and finally just get up, frustrated!  frown  laugh

Dana

Inertia is a drag!

Mmmmm, jasmine green tea!  Along with my potato, sausage and spicy salsa verde I think I'm waking up finally. Yukon Gold potatoes roast really well in the air fryer, they got nice and soft.  Nom!

This salsa verde is 'Texas medium', which means it's right on the edge of my heat limit.  The flavor is incredible, the tomatillos come through and give it a nice acid bite.  This will go well in black beans, pinto beans, and on taters and chicken.

I'm not sure yet what I'll use the peach/pecan bbq sauce on, since getting turkey parts delivered seems problematic.   Maybe I'll go non-traditional and bbq chicken or pork for T-day.  Save a turkey, cook a pig!

Still overcast and grey outside, yecch.

In a dozen minutes I should be at work. 

If I do not finish fries soon I will have to throw them out.

DanaTA said:

I find the converse is also inapplicable to me.  An object at rest tends to stay at rest.  I wake up several times a night, turn over, get up to pee, and finally just get up, frustrated!  frown  laugh

Dana

Up for most of the night last night, myself. Bah... no

Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Up for most of the night last night, myself. Bah... no

Last night was not fun.  First, up at 1AM to take antacids due to eating too much peppered salami.  Up off and on all night to pee due to massive tea consumption, thankfully no snakes in the toilet. m  Finally sleeping, having a nice weird dream involving a small restsurant on a rocking setup so it rocked back and forth, a very odd sensation.. vertigo in a dream!  Dang dog woke me up at 5:31am barking like mad at SOMETHING I never saw.Got back to sleep and the alarm went off at 8AM.  Gonna be a lot of tea consumed today...

Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

So is gravity. I get down in the floor to do something, and have a heck of a time getting back up. angry

Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

So is gravity. I get down in the floor to do something, and have a heck of a time getting back up. angry

Gravity sucks!!Gravity plus trying to stand up with only one foot is one heck of a challenge...

edited November 2017
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mistara said:

watching nova dvd smiley

Dana

Dana

Ah, radiometers.  I have one on my kitchen window sill.   Interesting devices but they spin the wrong way for the effect to be light pressure. surprise I haven't found an absolute explanation but the closest I've found from a reliable source is that the vacuum is not perfect and there are a few air molecules left.  Usually one side of each vane is colored to reflect more than the other side.  The heating effect of the light seems to cause micro currents around the edges of the vanes and it's these currents of air cycling from one side to the other that causes the force.  I've also heard that by that argument, that placing a radiometer in a cold environment will cause the vanes to rotate the opposite way temporarily until both sides of the vanes achieve thermal equilibrium.  I haven't been able to duplicate that myself.  I can't get into my freezer. frown  And I'm still wondering if the light goes out when the door shuts. surprise

True radiation pressure on Earth has been demonstrated by laboratory grade vacuum chambers in which a long blade is hung horizontally supported from the center by a long thread of extremely fine material (quartz I believe) and the amount deflection of the blade (a few degrees at best) is measured either directly by scale marks in the tube or by reflecting a Laser beam from the end of the blade and letting the reflected beam amplify the angular movement so that the amount of deflection can be measured more precisely.  Cool science.

edited November 2017
    Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

I saw an interesting clip a few days ago about gravity and why things feel a force that pushes them "downward"  It was a discussion about "what is down?".  It seems that the conclusion was things move "down" because they slide through time from fast time toward slow time.  All having to do with curved space and the effects it has on time.  So an object that is moving by the force of gravity is being pushed by time. surprise  I'll see if I can find that clip.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4xYacTu-E  Ignore the joke at at the beginning and force yourself to listen all the way to the end.

gravi 
    woes, stuck in inertia

after 5 days on space station, cosmonauts lost 30% of their body mass. (Nova - the quest for life)

left hand amino acids surprise

Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

I saw an interesting clip a few days ago about gravity and why things feel a force that pushes them "downward"  It was a discussion about "what is down?".  It seems that the conclusion was things move "down" because they slide through time from fast time toward slow time.  All having to do with curved space and the effects it has on time.  So an object that is moving by the force of gravity is being pushed by time. surprise  I'll see if I can find that clip.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4xYacTu-E  Ignore the joke at at the beginning and force yourself to listen all the way to the end.

Our down is Australia's up!  No matter how much time is invested...nothing will fall up relative to the ground.  If it does...you should stop smoking that stuff!  laugh

Dana

Morning. Concrete towers glazed bright from early sun and sweet scented rain seem to be standing taller now some tropical rain took some heat from the  air :)

Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

Eh!  We're all just part of a holographic display, anyway!  cheeky  

Dana

ps1borg said:

Morning. Concrete towers glazed bright from early sun and sweet scented rain seem to be standing taller now some tropical rain took some heat from the  air :)

G'dat mate! :)

DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

Eh!  We're all just part of a holographic display, anyway!  cheeky  

Dana

The DAZtrix has you.

Follow the furry Vicky.

edited November 2017

Red pill, blue pill? ... Decisions, decisions. frown

edited November 2017
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

Our down is Australia's up!  No matter how much time is invested...nothing will fall up relative to the ground.  If it does...you should stop smoking that stuff!  laugh

Dana

We can "screw up" and we can "screw down".

We can "throw up" and we can "throw down".

We can "get up" and we can "get down".

We can "take up" and we can "take down".

We can "show up" and there can be a "showdown".

So,... Why do we always "wake up"?  Doesn't anybody ever "wake down"?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:

inertia is a real thing.

Dana

We can "screw up" and we can "screw down".

We can "throw up" and we can "throw down".

We can "get up" and we can "get down".

We can "take up" and we can "take down".

We can "show up" and there can be a "showdown".

So,... Why do we always "wake up"?  Doesn't anybody ever "wake down"?

I do when I fall out of bed.

This discussion has been closed.