WIP - On a hiding to nothing

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link - I'm a sucker for trying other software, especially for terrains. I see this seems to work with nodes - I once tried Terragen which does the same and just couldn't get the nodes concept. Hopefully this will be simpler:)

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I found that I quickly got use to the node system, If I remember correctly there are some typical node examples you can use and dissect to find out how they have been set up.

Enjoy connecting your nodes. :cheese:

edited December 1969

The following seems so very tame & naff. So it would be better to view my humble effort before you view Martin's site link below. Still, I have much to add, well I would have if I can find any half decent bushes and suitable trees. This is the last one I shall bore you all with until and if, I ever finish this pod. I have loose ideas for the next four pods but at this rate not until the Summer. :lol:

OK Roy feast your eyes on this site and, prepare to be gobsmacked !

http://www.cgscenery.com/

MarkII_Phase_I__Grass1_4.1_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 552K
    edited December 1969

Wow -my gob is well and truly smacked!

Those are absolutely astounding, thanks for the inspiration:)

edited March 2013

So, I've finished as far as I'm concerned this part of the recreational pod I. One section down three more sections to complete the pod.

What appears to be a dark grey sky will of course ultimately show the inside of the dome of pod I, with an external space backing; I hope, if I don't run out of memory before then, in which case fiddling will come into play. LOL

Would welcome your comments/crits',

Mark_II_Phase_II_Pod_I_completed_3.1_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 621K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited March 2013

This shows the same view but nocturnally. No, that isn't larva the pathways below cliff/mountain level self illuminate, so that crew/passenger/inhabitants can relax after duty periods if they so wish, go jogging, walking or whatever. :cheese:

Nocturnal_zone_1.0_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 574K
    edited December 1969

That really turned out well, red:)

Good idea, the self-illuminating paths - great for walking, jogging after dark - could be embarrassing for the "whatever", though:)

edited March 2013

:lol:

edited December 1969

:lol: True, I guess it depends on what type of culture exists.. No good for dogs though, if there are dogs out here, no lamp posts. :cheese:

edited December 1969

It makes a change from modeling......:cheese:

OK, three renders above shows a shot at the end of Phase I. This is the same POV after I completed Phase III.

I shall take a small break, by investigating this section of Pod 1 to see if there are any other areas of interest that I might render before I tackle Phase IV.;

I'm quite pleased with the result even if I'm in a minority of one. But when one looks at my view port in solid mode it doesn't really do justice to the end result. :P

MkII_Phase_III_4.9_.8_.2_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 694K
    View_Port_MkII_Phase_III_4.9_.8_.png
    1598 x 1034 - 196K
  • TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Couple of more tweaks, A medium hanger plus a few subtle pokes....

Ahhh.... nutz! This is a real beaut! Very nice!

My hat is off to you!

edited April 2013

Thanks DW, I try...

OK another one is cooking, but meanwhile here is a reverse shot, looking back down the hill towards the last camera position. Not as densely planted as you may have thought from the previous shot. ;-)

Mark_II_Phase_III_Pod_I_4.8_.7_.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 533K
    edited December 1969

The Silver Birch and the medium sized bush immediately behind the silver birch in post #70, the light green fir tree in #72 together with these Chinese Windmill palms were modeled by a Russian freelance CG artist called ~ Konstantin Kim.

His models and especially his textures are really superb in my humble opinion and knock X-frog into a cocked hat. My only grouse is that I can't buy any of them as the sets are only published for 3ds Max and Cinema 4D, which I find very, very frustrating. Fortunately, one of the members of another site which I regularly patronise obviously has access to one of the above renders and converted Konstantin's free models to the Kerkythea files that I've used to render this. With Konstantin's blessing I should add. But soooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!!!

Right having let off steam as it were, here is the completed MkII Phase IV offering. Imagine if you will, that this is the interface between the temperate zone I have just finished and the more arid zone which takes up the other half of this recreational pod into which we shall be travelling. The zones are separated by a force field that only permits animate objects above a certain molecular size to pass through, retaining on each side the appropriate atmospheric conditions. :cheese:

http://www.3dmentor.ru/index.html

Mark_II_Phase_IV_Pod_I_5.1_.5_.2_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 616K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I have been following this RedSquare, and am enjoying this bit a lot, nice planting going on, have been playing with plants lately myself so it is interesting to me, and good you are using Kerkythea to render, so we are able to see how it performs.
    Definitely seeing one of my favorite Science Fiction classic films inside this project Silent Running from1972
    A fine job so far.

edited April 2013

Really looking good, Red:)

I was admiring your plants and about to ask where you got them - pity they are only available in max and C4D - what sort of render hit do they take?

Post edited by Roygee on
    edited April 2013

I guess that depends on your definition of a render hit. With Kerkythea and it's big brother Thea, one has the choice of either using a biased render engine or an unbiased render engine.

For 99% of my renders I tend to use the unbiased engine. Time is not a major problem for me so I tend to get it set up ready to render, set it going, go to bed and when I wake up it's usually ready to save; if not I just let it render until I'm happy with the quality.

I'm no longer a slave to a production schedule. So I'm very relaxed v v how long it takes to clear. Unlike the younger generation who want it now!

The greater the pixel size the render is, generally the less number of passes it needs to clear although time wise some will still consider it impractical. For me it works. If I can wait for the end result of a render that took my computer 2.5 months to finish rendering from start to finish. 5 or 6/8 hours is nothing, a mere drop in the ocean. :)

On the other hand when I was test rendering the individual plants I had found on the web, I used the biased engine and it took just 3 ~ 5 seconds to produce the final render albeit was only about 1024 x800 or less. Many, many others only ever use the biased engine, as I said earlier, I really only ever use the unbiased engine. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Spoken true, Oh Ancient One:)

Looking at all that vegetation, with its likely myriads of transmaps, I was thinking crash-and-burn with Carrara on my machine.

I have tried Kerkythea, but found that I'd do a render and have to then open the file to see it - makes test renders a bit of a PITA - am i not doing something right?

edited April 2013

I have tried Kerkythea, but found that I’d do a render and have to then open the file to see it - makes test renders a bit of a PITA - am i not doing something right?

I really don't think you are. At the risk of teaching my grandfather to suck eggs, this is how it goes..........

Arggggg! Why does rudy board do its own thing when you upload shots in the correct order ie back to front. Figs 3 & 2 are the wrong way round and will not change. !!! Hate it, Hate, Hate, Hate it. :-S

Calm be calm; I've made and saved a small test scene into which I drop (Merge) any model I wish to test, so step.......

1. Merge model into scene and set up a pov, in this case (Fig 1) camera 9#

2. In the bottom right hand corner of the UI is the Quick view render window together with a small round green icon with a running man on it.

This as you probably know is the button for starting up your render. It is of course one of two identical options the second being the self same icon which is situated on the extreme right of the tool bar at the top of the main view screen. (Fig 1)

3. Clicking on this top icon or the bottom right icon in the quick view window brings up the camera setting panel where as you have found out, you select your resolution; render engine preset amongst other things. and the start render button. (Fig 2)

4. To the right of this top render icon are two greyed out icons, which you've probably noticed spring into life whilst the render is taking place. The blue one immediately to the right of the running man is the pause button with the end red one the stop rendering immediately button.

5. Normally the green icon is extinguished whilst the engine is rendering so it greys out. Now the button you need is the one to the left of the top green running man icon, it's square with a little tree on it. (Fig 3) If you select that with your mouse this half size window pops up, (Fig 4).

If the render has finished you can adjust either or both the exposure or the gamma. You also have access to alternative gamma controls. Obviously you can enlarge the image to have a better look at the results, if happy with the result, you can save the image from this panel as well.

More to the point, if for example you just can't wait to see what is happening and find the quick view is too small you can select this icon whilst the engine is rendering and up will pop the main render view at the size you set it at. To what extent you will be able to see anything depends on the settings on either the biased or unbiased engine and how long it has been rendering.

Hope this long winded explanation gives you what you have been looking for. :cheese:

Render_Fig_1.0_.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 221K
    Render_Fig_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 244K
    Render_Fig_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 224K
    Render_Fig_4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 130K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Red - I've copied this for trying out as soon as I'm done renovating the bathroom - Sheba (she who must be obeyed) has become rather insistent on that score:)

BTW, I bet you didn't know that "red", in my second language, Afrikaans (based mainly on Dutch) is "rooi", pronounced "roy" - is that a coincidence or what?

Cheers:)

edited December 1969

:lol: or what!

Get back to that bathroom before she who must be obeyed, steps in. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Well my next offering for Pod 1. Not back at the beginning yet, but getting there slowly. I realise it needs more cooking but for now it will do until it is placed inside its pod. :cheese:

MkII_PhaseV_Pod_1_Completed_2.3_.1_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 699K
    edited December 1969

Well, on the down hill run methinks....:cheese:

MkII_PhaseVI_Pod_6.5_.2_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 556K
    edited April 2013

Unfortunately after I posted the last render I found that my file was corrupted so I had to go back three iterations and redo. Bummer !

So, here find the slightly modified last phase.

Next find the pod and attempt to add its contents and see if I can produce a series of final images of Pod 1. Then restart modeling again. Yay! :)

Mark_II_Phase_VI_Pod_I_6.9_.3_.jpg
    2000 x 1103 - 504K
    edited April 2013

Good grief! I've just been going through this thread and just realised it's almost 2 months to the day since I started to try and model an artificial recreational zone for one of my pods.

Why was I going through the thread ? ~ Trying to remember where I left off on the ship structure, so that I can combine or try to combine the two together. I have so many files. My foolproof method of sequential numbering seems to have failed. Not foolproof after all. :red:

I will find it eventually..........:-S :roll:

This is going to take some time. 38.6 Gb worth of files; Stone me must reorganise with some care, otherwise I will throw out the baby with the bath water.. :lol:

edited April 2013

Good luck with that - I name mine with an "easily" remembered name and a couple of months later search -"Now what the heck did I name that ? "

:)

Post edited by Roygee on
    edited December 1969

Redsquare, If you have your stuff in .obj format this GLC_Player might be useful, it will open folders or drives and loads everything in a nice list so as to view quickly, it does other stuff too, hope it helps, good luck.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Next find the pod and attempt to add its contents and see if I can produce a series of final images of Pod 1.

Looking forward to seeing the images. You are working well there.

edited April 2013

@ Roygee, :-)

@ TapiocaTundra, Well it's a fine sunny morning here in Blackheath and even better as I followed your link to GLCplayer; (That brings back some memories vv the initials LOL ) and downloaded it. Certainly will help in sorting out which is the .obj I'm looking for. I need to have a quiet think how best to use it. Loved the GPO tel box model by the way.

@ Steve athome, As am I. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks RedSquare, That K6 (1935) telephone box took me many hours, it was my personal project to finally learn properly and become comfortable with Sketchup. I could not find hardly any drawings so decided to work from scratch and my highly technical methods included taking photos in twilight and in the rain with one hand, whilst holding a tape measure with the other :)
    Here is the map reference for anyone who wants to have a walk around in google maps, 51.493006,-0.11098 there is a nice pub on the corner with an even older K2 (1930) phone box just by it.
    Since you live in Blackheath just up the road from me here in Kennington Red, come over and I will buy you a beer. Mind I have not been to Greenwich for a while, used to go on Sundays quite a lot.

DSC00825.JPG
    912 x 684 - 566K
    edited April 2013

@ TabicoaTundra

my highly technical methods included taking photos in twilight and in the rain with one hand, whilst holding a tape measure with the other
    :lol: You forgot to add ~ Whilst balancing one legged on top of a step ladder, unless ofcourse you are very tall. :cheese:

Beer now that seems to be a good idea, but only if it is real ale.